• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is PC gaming not as big as it once was?

System Name An experiment in continuous upgrading
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 Ghz | FX-8570 @ 4.0 Ghz | Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD53 | MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Asus M4A79 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 | Zalman CNPS10x | Coolermaster*212+
Memory 24gb DDR3-1866 |8Gb | 8Gb
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Turbo x 2 (SLI) | Sapphire Radeon 7970 + GTX 670 (PhysX) | Radeon 4870 1Gb
Storage 2x240gb SSD + 4tb SSHD + HDDs | 240gb SSD + HDDs | 120gb SSD + WD Blue 500gb
Display(s) ASUS VG248 144hz + Samsung S23A700D 120hz + 3D Vision | 40" Sony 1080p TV | 23" 1080p
Case Cooler Master HAF-X | Lian-Li PC-8 | Antec 302
Audio Device(s) Senn. PC360 G4ME | Sound Blaster Zx | Generic
Power Supply Corsair TX850W | Corsair TX 750 | OCZ 700
Mouse Steelseries Sensei | Logitech G402 W/L | Generic
Keyboard Filco Majetouch Ninja Tenkeyless MX Black | Logitech wireless |SteelSeries 6Gv2 MX Red
Software About 800 top-rated games. | 200 top-rated games | No games
Benchmark Scores No time for benching, I prefer gaming.
It's simple. The greedy, un-imaginative shitheads who killed the music and movie industries are now major shareholders in the gaming business too.

They don't understand that gaming is about fun, and innovation.
All they want to do is make maximum profit, and that usually means cloning what is already making money.

You are right, they are a huge factor, and they are dumbing everything down. :shadedshu

Processor Intel I7 4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Gskill Sniper 2x8GB 2400 MHZ
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 780Ti GHZ Edition
Storage Samsung 240 Pro 256 GB
Display(s) Asus PB287
Case NZXT Phantom 840
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Core 3d on Motherboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 7 Pro
I think part of the problem is that we are "stuck" at 1080 resolution. If we could get monitor manufacturers to push beyond the cheap 1080 solutions and get higher resolution displays at more affordable prices I think we would see a resurgence in PC gaming. Currently they can get the same graphics on their TV as their PC and the TV has a bigger screen. With higher resolutions there would be a clear improvement over console games and those people who want the best will migrate to PC.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
Okay I've written just over 500 words so far, and I've only covered the facts that PC gaming isn't as expensive as people think, the games are cheaper and the online services are cheaper and better
If anyone wants to help me edit/proof read it so far PM me, it'd be appreciated :p

I think it has to do with laziness. Sitting on the couch in the living room equals relaxing, whereas sitting in front of the computer equals working, in the minds of many people. Keyboards are "complicated" whereas a console controller is "simple".

Many times I have asked console gamers why they didn't game on their PCs and often got the response that "when I want to relax, I sit on my couch, not in an office chair"...

You could easily plug in an Xbox 360 controller for Windows though :eek:

It's simple. The greedy, un-imaginative shitheads who killed the music and movie industries are now major shareholders in the gaming business too.

They don't understand that gaming is about fun, and innovation.
All they want to do is make maximum profit, and that usually means cloning what is already making money.

blatantly talking about Call of Duty :p

Last edited:
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Turbo x 2 (SLI) | Sapphire Radeon 7970 + GTX 670 (PhysX) | Radeon 4870 1Gb
Storage 2x240gb SSD + 4tb SSHD + HDDs | 240gb SSD + HDDs | 120gb SSD + WD Blue 500gb
Display(s) ASUS VG248 144hz + Samsung S23A700D 120hz + 3D Vision | 40" Sony 1080p TV | 23" 1080p
Keyboard Filco Majetouch Ninja Tenkeyless MX Black | Logitech wireless |SteelSeries 6Gv2 MX Red
You could easily plug in an Xbox 360 controller for Windows though :eek:
Yeah but, not sit on a couch... Monitor is too small, FOV is made to be close to the display, etc.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Yeah but, not sit on a couch... Monitor is too small, FOV is made to be close to the display, etc.

You can get 120hz tvs with 5ms response times these days.

Now I'm not saying it's as good as a monitor but consoles gamers play at 30fps @less than 720p upscaled anyway so it will still look epic eh?

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
I own eight consoles. I own several PCs. I enjoy a few genres more on a console (racing, beat 'em up), and some more on a PC (strategy, shooters, simulations).

The thing is that in the old days, consoles had their games like Mario and Turtles and such, fun games that the PC didn't have. In turn, "we" had Half Life etc. Nowadays, both platforms have more or less the same games; save for a few console exclusives, every console game exists on PC, too. So people often take the easy route of pop the disc in and play. That console games, at least where I'm form, are much more expensive doesn't seem to bother anyone. Speaking of easy route; simply popping the game in and play is gone, too. Installing on the console, mandatory updates, shovelling stuff off the HDD because its clogged... very PC like.

I like to state an example. I bought Dirt 2 for PS3 and enjoyed it. Then I got a 5850 with a free Dirt 2 code for PC. Faster loading times, much better graphics, all advantages. Same with Portal 2 which I own for PS3 and PC. PC is just superior in every way.

What you don't have to forget is that what you are told doesn't necessarily mean its correct. Most of the news agencies here say PC is dead, and in the same sentence they say its all about Angry Birds nowadays, who needs something else.

In my opinion it needs both consoles and PC, with the PC always being on top. Just see modding. Games like Minecraft. Goddamn mouse and keyboard to direct your Sim around, not a fiddly thumbstick.

Multiplayer offline (I like splitscreen, bring it more often damnit) is far more fun on consoles. Beating each otehr up on the bed (or pillowfight with the girl which ends up almost always with sexytime) over Mariokart64... I have gotten laid because of that game once for above reasons. Coop-shoot your way through levels in Army of Two with your buddy besides you sharing some beers... not possible on the PC.

They HAVE to coexist. But they share too much in common these days which hurts both.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
One of the great false points of the "PC decline" is the misinterpretation of statistical data.

Everyone of those publishers rely on statistical percentual data ....

The point is .... PC got bigger all the time , it's just the console overshadow got a lot bigger because many many people came into markets , pleople who totally casual.

Why the consoles appear to be more "popular"

-casual-targeting marketing
-consolization of PC franchizes

THe industry created this trend by them selfs , many smaller companies followed suit or folded the aquisition offers - it's their fautl and they blame piracy which has in the reality promoted smaller games with no marketing getting attention and a fanbase.

I think there are more computers these days so probably more people playing pc games but its just due to the fact there are less pc exclusives for various reasons.
Back in the day it was a relatively niche hobby being a pc gamer and enthusiast.

EDIT: Consoles used to have arcade type games and was the choice for local co op now with the availability of internet connections and consoles having online systems yeah its impacted a lot on local co op. The pc used to have the RTS games and FPS games that took a while to complete youd have to sit down at a desk and take a while on it, consoles only really had long RPGs that compared to that. You dont get those adventure games really these days either its all 3rd person action or some RPGs.

PC gaming was always pushing the limits of hardware so developers stuck to either consoles or pc now they just port everything to anything they can to maximise profit.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I've got to write an article for Media coursework and this is the topic I've chosen to write about
I aim to cover "the glory days"(?) of PC gaming, and myths surrounding PC gaming that other people/console players have about the system that puts them off it etc. etc.

I just want other people's opinions on the subject, so I have some opinions to write about etc. :)

p.s. I really hope people don't start arguing on this thread :D

I'd say it's an unfair comparison. You're comparing three console platforms to just one PC platform. It's not surprsiing that it's "bigger". Any one of those consoles has a smaller market than the PC.

There's other factors too, of course: console versions of a game sell for significantly more money than the equivalent PC version. A decent gaming PC costs way more than a console, which has a significant effect.

Also, a PC requires much more tuning and maintenance. With a console, you just insert the disc, wait a few seconds and away you go. With a PC, you can often hit driver issues, Windows issues, patches issues etc. Man it can be a pain. :rolleyes: However, you also have the flexibility to significantly alter/tune your video settings, which will be way beyond the capabilities of the clueless console gamer. :rolleyes:

The big payoff of course, is superior performance and special effects - where a game isn't a straight console port. Crysis 2 with the latest patch and awesome DX11 effects comes to mind here.

Last edited:
System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)

These are 2010 pictures but they show one obvious flaw

The PC Market doesn't shrink but grows constantly

Growth can shrink but that doesn't mean it is dying that just means the market is stagnate but the PC market is never truly stagnant there is always better computers

Where consoles are stagnant and keep everything to the level introduced they harm the gaming market but make it easily acceptable

The PC Market evolves the games

While the Console Market simplifies the games

Last edited:
System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
http://gamerdood.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Units-Transparent.png

http://gamerdood.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Revenue-Transparent.png

These are 2010 pictures but they show one obvious flaw

The PC Market doesn't shrink but grows constantly

Growth can shrink but that doesn't mean it is dying that just means the market is stagnate but the PC market is never truly stagnant there is always better computers

Where consoles are stagnant and keep everything to the level introduced they harm the gaming market but make it easily acceptable

The PC Market evolves the games

While the Console Market simplifies the games
LOL @ out of context graphs. First of all it's impossible to measure PC "units" because there's no way to count them. How do they distinguish between library and school computers, and those at government institutions, and even then how do you distinguish a home "unit" at someone's grandma's house vs. one for actual gaming?

As for revenue this is also a bit nebulous. WOW and other subscription based games make a huge amount of revenue, but that doesn't speak to the feasibility of being a company in the market.

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
LOL @ out of context graphs. First of all it's impossible to measure PC "units" because there's no way to count them. How do they distinguish between library and school computers, and those at government institutions, and even then how do you distinguish a home "unit" at someone's grandma's house vs. one for actual gaming?

Brian said:
I only counted those PC’s that have a dedicated, DirectX 10+ graphics card. This should narrow the field to only PC’s used for gaming or industrial graphics. Units are in millions.

As you can see, the computer with advanced graphics is far more plentiful than any console. Computers here have 65% of the market, with 340 million units. Nintendo’s Wii comes in a far second, with 84 million units. The Xbox 360 has 50 million units, and Sony’s Playstation 3 accounts for only 48 million units. These numbers are current as of January 6, 2011.

PC sold 350 Million Units with DX10+ Graphics

As for revenue this is also a bit nebulous. WOW and other subscription based games make a huge amount of revenue, but that doesn't speak to the feasibility of being a company in the market.

Brian said:
Let’s next look at gaming revenue for 2010. If we plot how much revenue each platform generated, we should see a more correlative spread. This will let us know, generally speaking, the popularity of each platform in terms of games purchased. Units are in billions.

PC Earns more and making an MMO usually yields greater returns than releasing a new game every year that is basically the old game with better programming

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
A bit OT I guess, but still relevant. Western companies, in this case gaming companies, have now been stuck in the McKinsey way of doing business. If you ask them, "what are you going to do with this market?" they'll answer, "see maximum profit as much as possible." and not "see as much profit as possible for as much utility as possible for as many consumers as possible."

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Cooling Noctua D15
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
PC sold 350 Million Units with DX10+ Graphics

So what? Unless I'm mistaken DX10+ Just means that the machine has Vista or Windows 7.

PC Earns more and making an MMO usually yields greater returns than releasing a new game every year that is basically the old game with better programming

Which is exactly my point. A few games making a large revenue doesn't hint at a larger market. For instance if 3 billionares were to live in a medium sized town where everyone else are middle and lower middle class that town would qualify as "one of the richest towns in America" in terms of total worth of its citizens, but that hardly speaks to what the worth of the typical citizen is.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Which is exactly my point. A few games making a large revenue doesn't hint at a larger market. For instance if 3 billionares were to live in a medium sized town where everyone else are middle and lower middle class that town would qualify as "one of the richest towns in America" in terms of total worth of its citizens, but that hardly speaks to what the worth of the typical citizen is.

MMO-wise though, Western MMOs are a minority. Those "few games" making a large revenue are made by companies (usually Korean, sometimes Chinese) that don't make other games except those MMOs.

And are there really "a few games" (MMOs)? By my count there are at least 20 already. Well unless you're in Asia I guess then there won't be a lot of MMOs.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
In order to play PC games you have to:

-have time
-be an expert
-past knowledge

And all that makes the market smaller - why - because nobody above 30 is on the PC like a big geek - or they just don't have time and see games as "childish" to not be embarrased.

But the most point i'll ever say ... is this, grown up people never brag what and when they play they do it privately and that means no interaction with the internet people either - kind of invisibile customers.

You don't expect some non-techy people from down the street to be playing PC games - as those people are mostly very controllable by the media which obviously directs them to the consoles and all those money wasting stuff.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Oh of course the other factor is that PC community grow up ... but yes, another big factor ...

... whihc is a psychological one, the oversaturation with all these games is definitely a downside and one of the most important things is the wow factor ... nobody expects a game that can replay the success of those in the golden age - nobody expects any big game that all the world would see like !WOW what's poosible! .... there's no more that - there's too much games so much ideas already so much of it is known that people are used to and it's not any GROUNDbreaking thing it's nothing this generation would see as not coming - we have much more imagination ourselfs that the industry can produce because it's just how wrong they operate.

Ofcourse ... hail to the master - there is one game left that can potentially do this, and that game is Doom 4.

In order to play PC games you have to:

-have time
-be an expert
-past knowledge

And all that makes the market smaller - why - because nobody above 30 is on the PC like a big geek - or they just don't have time and see games as "childish" to not be embarrased.

But the most point i'll ever say ... is this, grown up people never brag what and when they play they do it privately and that means no interaction with the internet people either - kind of invisibile customers.

You don't expect some non-techy people from down the street to be playing PC games - as those people are mostly very controllable by the media which obviously directs them to the consoles and all those money wasting stuff.

I think you are extremely, totally, and completely wrong about this. As a matter of fact, I am a gamer above 40 years old, and my clan has a number of 40+ players. My WIFE plays BFBC2, STALKER and just about every game out there and she's 40+. How many women in their 20s play? And yes, on PC.

We see consoles as children's toys and PCs are for grown-ups. My previous clan was for 40+ only and there are a number of such out there. The PC gaming community is much more mature than that of the consoles, I would wager on that. That 40+ gamers do or don't talk about gaming in the office at work is debatable, but online they are very active. My clan didn't advertise being for "old 40+ people", it's just "a clan". Yet, half the members are 35 and above... How?

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
More of the people I know personally are Console gamers but also own PCs because their PCs regardless of being newer than their consoles, are a pre-built POS which is only good for low gaming on low graphics and the consoles are simpler to use for them.

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Cooling Noctua D15
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
MMO-wise though, Western MMOs are a minority. Those "few games" making a large revenue are made by companies (usually Korean, sometimes Chinese) that don't make other games except those MMOs.

And are there really "a few games" (MMOs)? By my count there are at least 20 already. Well unless you're in Asia I guess then there won't be a lot of MMOs.

You're still not understanding. First of all 20, compared to the hundreds of games per console is a few. Furthermore MMOs are fantastic for generating revenue because of obvious reasons. This skews the revenue towards the PC side as 1 mediocre performing MMO can generate the revenue of several A+ titles. Part of the reason for the confusion is that the op doesn't explicitly define what he means by "big."

Total players is one thing.
Total revenue is another.
Developers in the market that are able to sustain profit is another.

Right now I'm speaking moreso about the latter. Looking at total revenue isn't a good indicator for how easy it is to take a dive, or make a splash in a market. You have to look at how all of the players are doing.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
I think you are extremely, totally, and completely wrong about this. As a matter of fact, I am a gamer above 40 years old, and my clan has a number of 40+ players. My WIFE plays BFBC2, STALKER and just about every game out there and she's 40+. How many women in their 20s play? And yes, on PC.

We see consoles as children's toys and PCs are for grown-ups. My previous clan was for 40+ only and there are a number of such out there. The PC gaming community is much more mature than that of the consoles, I would wager on that. That 40+ gamers do or don't talk about gaming in the office at work is debatable, but online they are very active. My clan didn't advertise being for "old 40+ people", it's just "a clan". Yet, half the members are 35 and above... How?

That "30" was meant to be 50 .... typo

What i mean to say is that it's not that old .... it's getting but it's not like right now.

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Cooling Noctua D15
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
That "30" was meant to be 50 .... typo

What i mean to say is that it's not that old .... it's getting but it's not like right now.

Still seems a bit flimsy. I doubt there are many 50+ gamers at all. Actually if anything it seems to me like these would be the people most likely to be on a PC. While the younger generation is more prone to be tech savvy there's also the chance that they grew up being inundated with a console culture. The people who are around 50+ would be the people who were playing Amigas in college and have been gaming ever since. The post late 70s early 80s videogame crash gave way to a bunch of younger players.

Still seems a bit flimsy. I doubt there are many 50+ gamers at all.

I know a few, but yeah, there are less 50+ gamers. This has to do with one thing, the age they were when computers and video games were first introduced. Someone who is 51 today was 21 when the first personal computers became available, so they grew up without any digital entertainment at all, whereas anyone in their early 40s or younger likely had computers around them, or at least had some kind of experience of them before they became adult. And of course as you go down in current age to 35, 30, 25, and so on, the widespread-ness of computer and electronics use at an early age increases.

But that doesn't mean that as people turn 50 they stop gaming. That would be just total nonsense. I am 43 and I will game until I am too old to do so, which means a LONG ass time. I'll probably still game in my 80s and beyond. There is just no reason not to. I'm sure my generation will keep gaming forever, and every generation after that. So in 10 years you will have good numbers of gamers in their 50s, and in 20 years in their 60s, and in 30 years in their 70s, and so on.

Oh, and believe me, older gamers don't use children's toys, aka consoles.

System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11
I don't see whats wrong with that though, people who are into fashion will say ''You're stupid, you can get better clothes then that if you pay more''. But that's just it, i don't want to pay more for clothes because i don't care about hot new clothes.

You can't blame people for not being interested in something that you are, it doesn't make them stupid, they just don't care.

I'm not saying they are, I'm saying that most of my friends (14-16 year old boys) play xbox, I ask them why and they simply say "it's easier and cheaper" While that is true, for $500 you could make a decent rig and get a screen. Where if you want a xbox you spend $300 on that, and you're probably going to get a extra controller, ($70) A headset($20) and XBL time cards ($60 per year) That's $450 for one year, where that computer for $500 you would be fine with it for 4-5 years, depends on how much games change. And for it being easier, that I have to give them, because learning all these sockets, and companies and what thermal paste is better by how much is kinda hard.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
I'm not saying they are, I'm saying that most of my friends (14-16 year old boys) play xbox, I ask them why and they simply say "it's easier and cheaper" While that is true, for $500 you could make a decent rig and get a screen. Where if you want a xbox you spend $300 on that, and you're probably going to get a extra controller, ($70) A headset($20) and XBL time cards ($60 per year) That's $450 for one year, where that computer for $500 you would be fine with it for 4-5 years, depends on how much games change. And for it being easier, that I have to give them, because learning all these sockets, and companies and what thermal paste is better by how much is kinda hard.

Ever think of functionality and possibly getting a career in PC hardware/software? I guess that thought never occurred to them? From a strict gaming point, PC still has got it over console. Ease of use, maybe but far superior hardware yes definitely but will we ever stray away from ports again, who knows "Why is PC gaming not as big as it once was?" ports & poor coding to rush a title.