• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wi-fi printer goes Offline

Processor I7 6700K @4.6GHz
Cooling Liquid
Memory 16GB DDR4
Display(s) 27" LCD 2K 144Hz
Audio Device(s) G6
Software W10 Pro 64BIT
I have an Epson SX420W wifi connected to a router Belkin 54g. The network consists of a desktop PC and a notebook with Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, and a notebook with windows 7, all connected wirelessly to the router and all with the latest epson drivers installed. The printer connects to the router is successful, as well as the network test from the panel of the printer. Installing the printer on the various devices was successful, as well as various proofs. The problem is that sometimes the printer is detected by the devices on the network like "offline", even though it is turned on, properly connected, as the test outcome. What happens for no apparent reason, in some cases it works perfectly while in others it is offline.
Do you know what can depend on and how to fix?

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Do you share the printer from the router (some routers have a print server app built in, like my Asus AC66R)? Do you just use the wifi from the router and let the workstations connect to it via that link, making the printer its own print server?

Have you researched the manual for the printer, you might see if you can print off or view a list of error codes, that might lead you to finding the source of the problem. I would recommend you set a STATIC IP address in the printer, even if your router is setup for DHCP (dynamic). By setting a static or permanent IP network address, it will not change...this might be what is leading you to lose connection, though many modern printers are pretty good about this, but if both the router and printer are set for dynamic, and something happens like a power outage or a lease issue, the printer will end up with a different printer address.

With that said, various MFG's have what is called a print connector service that takes the place of the IP address over your network, HP comes to mind primarily, and it generally doesn't work very well and also causes delays in printing tasks. Not saying that is your issue, but with many hope setups where people may not know to set their printer's address static, this can become quite an annoying issue.

Here's Epson's Help Page: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pr...IYMtsjimnrsqupfUNrVtz12nFff1Pczreu8U003D&tc=7

There is an odd answer on Yahoo that I cannot vouch for, but might be worth looking into your settings: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110512144525AAS49vI

Here's my Google search results: https://www.google.com/webhp?source..._th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=epson sx420w offline&es_th=1

It would help to know if you have the static IP set in the printer first, or if you chose a reservation from the DHCP on the router (if possible, some home routers won't let you). I don't know what your experience or understanding with networking addresses is, so we'll start here and move forward.

:toast:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
My HP goes to sleep to save power... when it does I get "scan to computer offline" and my devices shows "Not Connected"; however, it wakes to print, scan, etc.

See if it has any sleep/hibernate options in the preference's menu on the printer or other places.

Last edited: