1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will an A10-7850K or Athlon 760K Bottleneck a R9 290X?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Durvelle27, Jul 9, 2014.

1. alex79 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the difference between gold and "normal" PSU? Stability?

I've just took a quick peak in the shop... Both "Bronze" and "Gold" have 80 rating, but they are very differently priced?
    And thank you for the help, appreciate it.

2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Golds are usually made from better quality components. That being said, there are a lot of dodgy PSU manufacturers chasing the bronze standard, because nobody buys a PSU without at least that if they have half a clue. Also Golds have better power draw efficiency. Efficiency is what the PSU is drawing from the wall. A typical PSU that's 550W, if the system is pulling 550W, it's actually going to be pulling more from the wall. A higher efficiency means less wasted power is drawn from the wall to provide the 550W. Gold saves you more pennies than a silver, silver to bronze, etc. Myself, I have a platinum, but arguably the difference in power cost savings is minimal. I just prefer higher efficiency PSU's as they tend to be built a lot better.

Also, Seasonic are by far the greatest PSU manufacturer anyway, hence why they're expensive.

alex79 says thanks.
  3. alex79 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got it, thanks. Basically it means I will be paying more for electricity.

Checked Seasonic. G and X gold models from 550w to 650w are around 115 euro here.. Hmm, I guess it will wait for a month or two.

"...because nobody buys a PSU without at least that if they have half a clue."
    :)

4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    You don't absolutely have to buy a Gold PSU. You can buy a Bronze, just ensure it's a quality made unit. Head over to JonnyGuru's site, he's the master of PSU reviews. Check out his range of reviews on 550 and 600W units and find one that has a good score that you like the look of, and also that's within your price range. You also don't have to buy a Seasonic, there are other manufacturers that make good PSU's, just check reviews first. Manufacturers like FSP, SuperFlower, Seasonic, XFX, Enermax, beQuiet, Antec and Corsair are all reputable makes. Look for some reviews is the best advice I can give you.

alex79 says thanks.
  5. alex79 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a great site, thanks again!

6. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Thought this thread died O.O

Seems kinda odd though as i've never had issues with games like Rift or DOTA

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Phillip.Phillip

Phillip.Phillip New Member

Thanks Received:
    You all don't even know what bottle necking is !!!!!!!!!!! Watch the Video on you tube