1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Gaming Compatibility ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Polarman, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just out of curiosity, for those who are running Windows 7 (whatever build). Do you have any trouble running certain games? How about those oldies?

For my part, i'm using Vista 32bit and all my games (New, Old and Ancient) all work fine.

Does the same rule apply in Windows 7 ?

Anyone wants to start a list?
  2. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    I simply can't believe how well Crysis x64 runs on Windows 7 64 bit and DX10. I still had it stuck in my head that DX10 was a performance killer (and perhaps it still is with some games) but man it ran better than it did in 32 bit XP DX9! I've only played a few other games like Bioshock in DX10 and it seems to run just as good as it did in XP DX9. I don't know about older games but I think 7 handles older programs in general better than Vista because it uses VM for DOS and 9X does it not?
  3. Guru Janitor

Guru Janitor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I run windows 7 64 bit build 7100

Every game I've run so far runs fine :) The oldest I've run is roller coaster tycoon. ran fine, but then again, thats not really a tough game to run, even during its day. But yeah, you should be fine.
  4. Pyeti New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only problems i've encountered have been because of 64bit with some older games but apart from that everything ive tried has run perfect
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've used 7 Beta 7000 and RC 7100. Here are some notes:

CoD4 - SP ran great, same as Vista! MP ran great till PB kicked me for not knowing my OS...thanks evenbalance.
    BF2142 - Again ran great, same as Vista, till PB...see above
    BF2 - Same as 2142
    World in Conflict - No issues, no noticable change in performance ran great on Vista too.
    Bioshock - same as above
    Unreal Tournament III demo - same as above.
    Far Cry 2 - Ran great, seemed smoother than on Vista at least in DX10 mode, never tried 9 mode, iirc this has PB issues too..but I could be wrong there.
    Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II - Ran great, same performance as Vista for me. No issues.
    NFS: Pro Street - Same as Vista, ran great. Didn't try online.
    Freespace 2 + open source + mods - Umm...this game doesn't even need my card's power in 2D mode lol. Same as Vista, ran great.
    Evochron: Legends - Same as Vista, ran great, no issues, mp was solid.
    Frontlines: Fuel of War - At the time I played and possibly related to drivers this game had issues in 7...the performance would start out to be great, but would slowly degrade to about 15FPS then every once in a while shoot up to about 25-30 then back down...but it would start in the 70-80 range where it usually ran under Vista. Between that and the PB issues, pass...this game is fun with a clan, but there's too many issues to keep enjoying it long term imo.
    Burnout: Paradise - Same as Vista, ran great, no issues.

There were some others I have since removed due to rarely playing them, but those are the ones I had experience with playing in 7 x64, currently running Vista x64 Sp2 though. PB blows, but unfortunately a few of the games it's anchored to I love to play.

:toast:
    MatTheCat says thanks.
  6. WarhammerTX

WarhammerTX New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what Im hearing and observed PB is causing problems due to the fact they are saying they will not update the code until Windows 7 is officially released, some people have no issues with it and others cant play mp in some games because of it who knows.
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Oldest game Ive run on my Win7 7100 is Call Of Duty United Offense. gotta set it in compatiblity mode to XP or Vista otherwise it wont work though.

why did i reinstall the game & play it you ask? I wanted to re-live the glory days when i could get in a jeep & run someone over. first time ive picked it up since i stopped playing it at the end of 2005, they dont make games like they use to - Huge maps & vehicles you use to get from A to B
  8. Sonido

Sonido New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it runs on Vista, it will run on 7.
  9. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone had any trouble playing F.E.A.R. or Half-Life2 on Win7 RC?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Any reviews that have fps and testing between the Windows 7 and Vista performance? We can all talk about how similar but would like to know hard facts. ;)
  11. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Anything I have tried has worked fine: Age of Empires 3, WoW, Mass Effect, BF 2, LOTRO, and quiet a few others.
  12. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed FEAR a couple of days ago as it happens!

I installed and ran under XP compatability mode, and can confirm it runs better than with Vista 64. In the performance test with everything maxed I get 215 FPS Average at 1920x1080. On Vista I "only" get around 190 Av, LOL.

As a sidenote, when I first tried FEAR on Vista performance was great at first, but it would slow to a crawl after a few minutes. Thats why I run it in compatability mode now.
    t77snapshot says thanks.
  13. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    all I have tried up to now work fine!
    COD2, COD4, COD5, PES'09, Oblivion, Mass effect, Prototype, Far Cry 2...
    have not tested any older games, though! I might just install some of them, just to see what will work...

no problems.... btw, I had to put Company of Heroes in vista 64 sp2 compatibility mode! and works fine!:rockout:

I used ati 9.5 drivers.
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if it works in vista, it works in 7. They maintained compatibility in every way, with vista.
    tzitzibp says thanks.
  15. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Every game worked for me.
  16. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any game with punkbuster doesn't work. Good thing I know of a few non-PB CoD4 servers :)
  17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the games work, SOME games have issues with their version of punkbuster. I know CoD 4 works, and 5/WaW doesnt. (or the other way around, i'm a little hazy)

Anyway, thats punkbusters fault. it'll get updated soon enough.
  18. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Crysis is the only game which wont work instantly, I have to run it in Vista Compatibility mode.

Then there is BioShocks infamous sound issue, but thats no different from Vista, I just enable Stereo Mix and it works.
  19. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I put the apparent win7 rtm on last night,so i will report if i find any games that dont work.
  20. LeChuckle New Member

Thanks Received:
    it seems ive gained some fps after getting win7 (from vista) and catalyst 9.7 in Arma2.

my maploading times in BF2 are really slow now for some reason :&
  21. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    runs much better than xp suprisingly on my rig i cant explain it, anyway ive tried dow2 all the steam based games they work without a hitch tho dow2 had an issue that was driver related and now fixed same as with the cod series bf2/2142 work tho punk buster can be a pain on the BF games now and again.
  22. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats strange Alex, Crysis runs fine for me on 7 without any compatability mode:confused:...
  23. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Without compat mode it just crashes instantly :(

Unless its the NO-DVD fix Im using. (I own a legit copy FYI, but I hate having to put the disc in for CD checks)
  24. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    In my experience, I has problems running GTA:SA, Burnout Paradise, and Mirror's Edge (all non-steam versions).

Same here.
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    it might be related to the build he's on.