1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 28, 2013.

1. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    That's a reading fail on your part.

My post says Windows 8 start screen.

Please keep it up with your thought invoking posts.

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Play nice children or believe me you won't be playing at all if you continue in this vein, I repeat, you can argue all you like but cut the insults and name calling.

FordGT90Concept and Aquinus say thanks.
  3. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    The only hing I really hate are those darn full screen default programs. For example when trying to see a single picture, it opens by default that overly shitty full screen picture application. Same thing for a movie, for an .mp3 file, for a .pdf, etc. After taking so long to load a crappy picture viewer, i cannot even go back to desktop by just closing it, or something. I have to waist a lot of time. This is why I hate Win 8 so much.

4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You could just set the default picture viewer to an application that runs on the desktop.
    I use Corel Photo-Paint 5. Works just fine, and it's supposedly not even Win 8 compatible. lulz.

5. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    I was doing that. Every time. For pictures, for music, for documents, for movies, a lot a lot of wasted time! That's why Win8 is a big piece of trash!

6. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I guess I always used other applications than the ones that came default in Windows, so I've been doing it with every OS. I can see your point if you use the MS apps, though.

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Well, since Windows 7 works perfectly fine for me, I see no reason to "upgrade". There is always the famous motto, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.
    You can also just look at the market and how well it is received in the first place. And it doesn't look at all good for windows 8 or 8.1. Not a very well received OS in the real world. Back to the drawing board MS!

9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Windows + X > Control panel > Set default programs > Select any program from the list (Windows Photo Viewer for example) > Set this program as default

Same as with W7, only that in W8 Metro apps are the default.

If you don't do it through the Control Panel, every time you open a new extension you'll get a prompt to set the default program.

Dos101 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    That's only from the perspective of the desktop user. Win 7 is not touch/mobile friendly at all, and it's not surprising that MS wants to capitalize on that market. Their mistake was in not giving people sufficient options that were device dependent.

There was no real reason that Win 8 could not have detected touch-enable devices and defaulted to a standard desktop if one was not detected.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft is trying to make Phone, Xbox, Laptop, Desktop, and Tablet all the same operating system. It just hasn't dawned on them yet that they're separate for a reason. How people interact with an operating system determines how the entire UI paradigm. Microsoft, having so many game developers under their belt, should be well aware that major design changes have to be made for users on keyboard/mouse compared to those using an Xbox controller. The same applies to every facet of the OS from the main menu (start menu prior to Windows 8, start screen in windows 8 and beyond), to the size of the icons, to the layout of all the configuration panels, to specific UI elements like sliders. Instead of doing the smart thing which is having one kernel that drives all UI experiences, they're trying to force all users into one basket and make them like it. The poor sales are proof that strategy isn't working and it's echoed in the disappointment in the Windows 8 UI.

Windows 8 tries to be the jack of all trades but it fails completely. The desktop users don't like it because all UI elements are made to fit a finger instead of a 16x16 mouse cursor. Laptop users don't like it for the same reason. Tablet users don't like it because what should be simple tasks (like application switching or tab management) is needlessly difficult. Lets also not forget that a lot of metro apps seem to be breaking lately. The only thing Microsoft has done right so far is kept Windows Phone separate. I fear they're inclined to put the same Windows 8 rubbish into Windows Phone though and they'll trash what little good they have there as well.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Aquinus and trickson say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    What he said! Well put ForGT90Concept well put.

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Well, that's kind of my point. It makes the assumption that everyone is using touch screen input device, which is clearly flawed. At least Apple left touch in iOS and didn't let it spill over into OS X and ruin it. While I don't normally praise Apple, I think that keeping touch segregated between iOS and OS X was a good idea.

trickson says thanks.
  14. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Agree. Me too. However Win7's default picture viewer, or media player are quite good to be honest, even if I later use MPC-HC for music/videos. Hoever in Win8, even after I installed MPC-HC and set it to open all music/movies extensions by default, Win8 was still opening with it's crappy fullscreen metro apps. Really, really annoying. I could only fix it - TEMPORARY, by right click on the file - Open with... and - use this by default. But imagine doing that for ALL different file types and extensions!

15. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    You should try resetting all file types to default. All my files open with the correct app that I set.