1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista SP1 Benchmarks Highlight Performance Improvements, Penalties

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Feb 15, 2008.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Most of you know that Microsoft created a new Service Pack for Windows Vista, and is in the middle of getting it out to people. Some select testers, such as CNET, already have a copy of the final batch, and were obliged to give it a test drive. What they found confused and made people wonder why Microsoft worked so hard in the first place. While, yes, Vista SP1 is a lot more stable, and there are performance boosts in some areas, there are a sizable chunk of tests where Vista SP1 performed worse in than it's predecessor. The CNET tests concluded that while Vista SP1 definitely oozes with effort, most users will hardly notice the difference between vanilla Vista and Vista SP1. Most of the performance hits were seen when copying or transferring files. If you'd like to read the full review, please check out CNET here.

Source: DailyTech

2. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    ooozes with effort but ends in fail.........

meh, i will stick with my trusty x64 pro, its stable, good drivers, fast, oh yeah, and ITS NOT VISTA!!!!

3. broke New Member

Thanks Received:
    what the hell? wasn't it one of SP1s' main purposes' to improve the already slow (relative to XP) transfer speeds found in the vanilla version?

4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of what I do is disk-disk, or over-network transfers. If they can improve that it's a good thing. The only thing I saw from the article that was a degridation was the disk-USB transfers.

While not an upside for people who do lots of USB transfering, it's not a SP1 killer for me.

As far as being more stable, I don't have any stability problems with Vista now.

Just remember that before SP2, XP was not all that golden.

5. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    2k usp5>xp sp2>vista
    2k3 sp2>2k usp5>xp sp2>vista
    and since xp x64 is just server 2003 64bit in pro mode it=win or it=golden :)

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

7. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Less overhead in general and no activation scheme. Not having to call Microsoft every time you swap/add few components is priceless.

Solaris17 and ChillyMyst say thanks.
  8. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:

WarEagleAU and phanbuey say thanks.
  9. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:

forgot that part, yeah, 2k is a gem, even to a gamer like me, use to and still laugh at ppl who say 2k sucks for games but say xp rocks.....when really its the same os just less bloated.

10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I can put up with slower usb transfers no big deal.

11. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    the point is you shouldnt have to if Vista is all ms and vistaiots claim it should be faster and better in every way not slower lol

12. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    hell yeah! i miss my XP64 which i had to "find" since they didnt friggin sell it.

13. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    ms sold it but u could only find it online here, and then at the time it wasnt worth the bother because no driver support really excisted, now theres plenty of driver support, but its had a few years to mature ;)

14. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    ChillyMyst, thats a nice rant u had there :toast:
    i agree with you especially on the system restore letting viruses into the sys vol info sub folders, its shite and maybe if m$ baught out GIANT sooner people who have to service other peoples (and even ppl who do it themselvs) wouldnt have had to do such thorough virus removal seeing how it shouldnt be getting into a folder which by default doesnt give the user account enough premissions to even browse.

altho at the same time, enjoy remote code execution vaunerabilities. the older os's may still be supported on the side but the support is no longer main stream which means that either any updates are private (and commonly wont address security issues, moreso only compatability issues) or just helpdesk related support (ie, knowledge base,ect. )

so, with pros, like more efficient and lite os'es their still out dated and their are still cons to factor in when using them.

but hey awesome read none the less :)

15. warhammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    ChillyMyst well put.

I am running SP1 and it is as per the article it states the facts, file transfer is still a pain but IE doesn’t crash that often and I do load up beta drivers and programs and do push my system.
    I will say VISTA 64bit is a lot faster than 32bit.
    How people forget XP is famous for BSOD, VISTA you can luv it or hate it.
    But people have their comfort zone and don’t like change."DO it you will like it"
    But I have heard that longhorns code is being updated into VISTA.
    For me the VISTA experience has been good just as with LONGHORN, XP, NT, 2000, 98, 95,windows 3.1 and good old dos.

I know some one that is still running 95 :banghead:

VISTA ROCKS

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  16. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    IE has had issues since back in win95 days. Why not try Firefox or Opera? I'm not sure if I'll jump on SP1 because my install has been very nice and stable and whoever said 64bit Vista is faster than 32bit Vista is dead on!! Noticable difference between the two and alot of my friends that see my system agree all the time.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    heck id still be using Windows 2K if Crysis and CnC3 supported it, you can make them run, but its a bitch and affects Multiplayer online also which really sucks. As for XP x64 I have a copy, but are the Nvidia drivers caught up for it yet, or is 32bit still faster?

18. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you mean being readded, get an early beta build of Vista, it doubles as a server OS, it wasnt untill Vista Beta 2 that Longhorn and Vista Split

19. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt run Vista if DX10 would be availible for XP and i am sure SP1 for Vista wont change that..

20. ManofGod

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it was a typo but there is no Win2k SP5. The last one that was produced was win2k SP4 unless I am missing something.

Joe

21. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    There are unofficial service packs out there for various WinOS, including Windows 2000. Heck, there are several unofficial service packs for Windows 98 SE, up to version 2 last time I checked.

People like to believe once Microsoft discontinues support for a certain OS that fixes and patches stop. It don't work that way. There are millions upon millions of developers, businesses, regular and power users out there who depend on and actively use "older" WinOS releases. Example: MSFN forums has a huge Win95/Win98/Win98SE community. They even got some kind of project going for patching the kernel and various libraries/DLL's on Win98 so it would run Win2k/XP games/apps.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  22. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i was refering to the unofficial service pack 5, when ms didnt put out an SP5 like they promised after xp came out some user on MSFN, cant remmber his name, started making unofficial sp5, its a completion of hotfixes and updates that leave very few hotfixes to download, there was work being done for a newer version that would also update WMp/ie and other built in apps in order to ease setup for everybody, but it hasnt gotten that far since from what i reammber the head of the project got sick or something (like cancer type sick not just a cold)

and MS is STILL putting out patches for 2000 to slect companys because they are paying for extended support plans and NEED 2k, there are apps that wont run on any version of windows but the one they here made for/on, these apps tend to be costom made and very hard to get updated, and many times they are mission critical, so keeping 2k servers and desktops working is a must even now 8 years after it came out.

hell i have seen companys with production servers still running nt3 and 4 because the program they have running on that server REQUIERS the older version of windows......ms isnt stupid they know that if they dont offer a way for large companys to get support for older mission critical servers and systems that large corps will start to move away from ms to something like linux.

23. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    My thing is, if they spend time on a service pack, it should be all pluses with very very very few if any, negatives to it. Personally, I dont care about slow usb storage transfer speeds.

24. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    obviously the people who dont care about USb transfers dont have a digital camera, or camcorder, or iPod, since all of those things are affected. Also ReadyBoost or whatever, might be affected as well. We'll see when this comes out... real bad when you fix something only to have something else break.