1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World Community Grid February Team Challenge

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by [Ion], Feb 4, 2013.

1. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    It says 0db cooling so I guess they're right.

145 unlocked!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I have decided to throw the AMD Laptop into the mix. I really don't want to stop work on my 7870 so i will use the AMD dual core to get a few CPU WU's in so i may qualify for the prizes (already did cpu wu's for a day on the i5).

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Tried to see if the board would run the 965 from my Phenomenal rig but it's hardlocked into 800Mhz for some reason :confused: CnQ disabled and changing multipliers don't do anything.

The 965 isn't supported but the 955 is; I lowered the multi to 16 but it's still going at 800Mhz as if CnQ was locked. Power options at maximum performance. Latest bios flashed.

Weird thing though, the CPU support list puts the 955 as a 95w CPU but it's actually rated for 125w.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Dual P3 800MHz, Linux.
    [​IMG]
    Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.8GHz
    [​IMG]

When will this average... erm.. average out?

Does the board identify the processor? It sounds like it's an unsupported CPU and it's just running in "Failsafe" mode until you flash a BIOS that adds compatibility. I had the same problem with putting my X6 in my DFI LanParty DK 790FXB (fixed with a new BIOS).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Goddammit, this is giving me a headache. For some reason the Asus 6450 will only work with the asus drivers BUT it doesn't have the OpenCL/DC libraries :banghead:

I installed several drivers, 12.4 all the way to 13.2b5, none worked with the card, CCC failed to load saying that there was no ATi hardware present and device manager shows "Standard VGA card". Installed the Asus drivers included on the CD which worked but didn't have the libraries so I looked at the asus website to download updated drivers but they are the same ones as the CD. OMFG!

Tried to force feed the driver on the device manager but Windows says that it doesn't match the card. I tried to use the asus driver and install the libraries from 13.1 but it doesn't work (GPU-Z shows OpenCL/DC unchecked).

I guess that asus puts a different device ID on the bios, otherwise it should work fine with the AMD drivers. Going to flash the card to a different bios tonight, wish me luck.

EDIT: maybe I should just edit the INF file. Anyone knows how can I learn the dev id of the card?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That Pentium 3 is doing a sweet job there! :roll:

I get about 650 PPD from a PentDC Mobile 2GHz, so I'd expect it would average out just below that. It usually takes a couple weeks for the average to reflect what is actually happening.

I think that the board identifies the processor--with the HP DC5800s I have, they will POST/boot with an unsupported CPU, but until I update the BIOS it gives a warning every time it boots and runs the fans at 100%.

xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. C4LIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Count me in!

Count me in guys! :rockout:

9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Phenomenal enters the fray.

[​IMG]

I would bring Green Tea online but I'm afraid of poping a fuse or something. :fear:

Attached Files:

Chevalr1c, okidna, Daimus and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] = MORE CRUNCHING!

I'm just kidding. Don't actually do it. It's a safety hazard.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I'm pulling my hair out with the asus 6450. It indeed uses a different device ID (1002-6779) than standard 6450's and the latest driver on asus website is 8.861 (cat 12.6). OpenCL support requires driver ver. 9 (cat >12.10). Tried to mod the inf file but it still gives me error. I don't know how customized are these so I think it's more problem than is worth.

I'll pickup another and sell this one as I don't think the shop will take it back just because asus doesn't have updated drivers.

Goodbye to the most bitching HD6450. It wasn't mean to be :cry:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Lets add a copy of TorchLight 2 to the giveaway :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    worked out the 6450 troubles :D

[​IMG]

Managed to OC the 145 to 3.4GHz and the 6450 at 800/800. Going at 1 WU every 35 minutes

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! :toast: :respect:

That HD6450 looks really funny with the Zalman cooler :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    IRQs. Changed an option in bios "Assign IRQ to PCI" to Enabled. I guess that the IGP was conflicting with the card somehow... maybe due to Hybrid Crossfire?

EDIT: BTW, is there some way to unlist a device? I re-installed Windows while troubleshooting and it appears twice on the devices list. I uninstalled the boinc client before re-installing Windows, I thought that would do it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    It is allright, it always does that per installed OS, in case people multiboot. It won't cause any harm.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Iirc, silent is actually defined for advertising purposes as a set level of noise, which most people would consider audible.

19. AnnCore

AnnCore Staff

Thanks Received:
    Deadline question(s)

Questions about deadlines.

I have some WU scheduled and I don't think my PC is going to get around to even starting some of them, let alone finish them.

What happens to them?

Should I stop crunching (with the GPUs) and do more FLOPs (cpus) to see if I can do more cpu tasks only?

Thanks in advance.

20. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If they go past the deadline they'll get dropped AND the other people working on the same WU won't get validation. If you're having that problem set a lower buffer or no buffer at all and use Mindweaver's auto report utility so that WUs get uploaded when finished (the client uploads WU every 2 1/2 hours by default).

If you're only working on GPU WUs uncheck all other proyects except Help Conquer Cancer on the projects page on the website, that way you won't get more CPU WUs. To finish the current CPU WUs you have suspend all the HCC WUs, go to the projects tab, select WCG and press "Don't ask for new tasks". After finishing the WUs set it back again.

Another way is to cancel the WUs but I don't know if that does something to your rep :confused:

Chevalr1c, NHKS, Norton and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    If you're running gpu wu it will still provide cpu wu's- if you intend to use just the gpu then see the info on this post to disable the cpu wu's:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2837778&postcount=21556

It's best to do that if most, or all, of your cpu is being used for gpu work ;)

These tips are helpful too (Thanks TRWOV! :toast:) as far as "rep" is concerned, yes at a certain point you will be restricted by WCG if you have too many aborts, errors, invalids, etc... so it's best to avoid these if you can- once the rig has established a record of good results then you tend to get more favorable work.
    *Note- I don't know the exact criteria for the restriction or its nature :confused:

Chevalr1c, AlienIsGOD and NHKS say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I was afraid of my little 1000VA regulator not keeping up when I want to play on a console since I've connected 3 PCs, 4 consoles, receiver and switch to it. Usually only 2 or 3 things are on at a time so 1000VA seemed enough but since the 3 PCs are crunching now I picked up some peace of mind:

[​IMG]

1800VA should be enough. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Does a regulator ensure stability on the electricity (voltage, ampèrage, etc.) your devices use? Wikipedia did not help me much.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    It's protection mainly. If the voltage or current gets too high the fuse in the regulator will blow instead of letting the damage get to your devices. It also corrects voltage spikes and drops.

edit: goddamned Windows update, it restarted Phenomenal but it was stuck in post because of a MAC problem. Don't know how long it was like that :banghead: If I hadn't changed the AVR I don't know when would I have noticed it. Crunching now.

Chevalr1c and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. memmaker

Thanks Received:
    The fuse opens when the current gets too high, voltage could be very very high and the fuse remain untouched. In a stabilizer, voltage regulation is performed by relays and AC transformers. The main problem with those devices is that generally they have bad quality (slow response) components, which worsen the AC output instead of stabilize it. For example, think a <0,5 sec. electricity "micro-cut", relays sets to "push" more voltage, but when the input stabilizes there is a mechanical delay before the relays goes back to normal, so the output becomes high voltage... you don't want that in your PC. Besides that, the stabilizer also consumes electricity, if you put your hand over the casing, you should note that is warm. Heat comes from electric energy (see Joule Effect) and goes to waste.

The primary of a PSU takes care of those AC fluctuations using a more effective way with big capacitors, transistors and PWM ICs. So if you feel uncomfortable with plugging your PC directly in the outlet, you might consider use one decent Online UPS instead the "chinese-made" regulators/stabilizers. I'm not saying you have one of those bad stabilizers, just telling for your information :)

Chevalr1c and TRWOV say thanks.