1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World Community Grid February Team Challenge

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by [Ion], Feb 4, 2013.

1. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.6 GHz
    DFI LanParty DK 790FXB-M3H5
    Video cards are a HD 4870 and a HD 4850. Folding@Home dropped support for them, so I can't imagine there's much work for them on WCG (and if there was, I don't think they'd contribute much.)

Going to do some research at home, but are Pentium 4s worth folding on?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Ion, have you and the other people collaborating accounted for international shipping costs for potential winners outside the US? I ship packages regularly to the Philippines, Norway and between and it can get expensive very quickly.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    P4s aren't really worthwhile---they use a ton of power and are no faster than my Atom. I'd shy away. Those GPUs aren't supported for WCG, unfortunately. If you can get a HD7xx0 card that would be awesome--they fly :toast:
    No, I haven't thought about that. I have the contributions from mjkmike and myself, and I can afford to ship them to within the United States. But I don't really have any provisions for shipping elsewhere.

xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Quite a bit of international members joining, and most new members aren't filling in their location in the UserCP- so a lot of them could be international, too.

For reference USPS Int'l:
    Flat Rate Medium to Canada/Global: $40.95/$59.95
    Flat Rate Large to Canada/Global: $53.95/$77.95

Should definitely figure out if shipping outside the US is going to be possible before the contest starts so everyone's expectations are set accordingly.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    That's what I assumed about the GPUs. Oh well. Worth a shot.

Just nabbed a used Core 2 Duo Mobile for my laptop (better than the 32-bit Core Duo it'll replace). I have two Sck478 2GHz P4s that are just sitting around, an AM2 board that I'll see if my old Phenom II X2 550 will run on, a Sck775 3Ghz P4 that can contribute, a Sck754 Sempron, and a heap of Athlon XPs.

I'll tally up the estimated scores in a bit. Power shouldn't be a major issue. Actually, I have a Kill-A-Watt. I can tally up the power usage too. Should be an interesting project.

Edit: I was going to run to the local electronics recycler and see if I could pick up a few 3GHz P4s (about $5 each?), but I'm not sure it'd be totally worth it. Would tally up to an extra 2GHz P4 for a relatively small increase in power though. They probably won't be used for anything after this. Thoughts?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:

We may be able to use a gift card type thing for international winners. I would be willing to do that for the psu and memory kit I offered considering that they will be new and I haven't got them yet (7770 video card has already been purchased). Also, I can help a little bit with shipping on any items that need to go far.

@ Ion maybe we can stipulate that the winner, if outside the of the donators region, pays the extra shipping cost? I think we did this on the last challenge for some items?

Thanks for bringing this up dub!

@xvi- take a peek at this ppd estimator as a reference (your PII's will do better than the other even if you bunch them together):
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111026

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. sujo

Thanks Received:
    I"ll bite, does anyone know the amd radeon 6850 thread count. Tried to use the utility but may have inserted the wrong #'s. The cpu threading is 1 to 1 amd athlon x4 620. I would like to split the cpu (2 cpu X 2 gpu) hope that made sense.

Forgot that my WCG handle is sujo1

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. Norton

Thanks Received:
    If you're using the PC it may be best to just run with 1 gpu wu (3 cpu wu's) for awhile and see how it goes. 6xxx series gpu's get dragged down pretty good by this work. IMO- give it a day or two first and then decide if you want to add a 2nd gpu wu. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm running a 6850 @ 850mhz with 2 WU's and it's averaging 12 mins each. I get about 14-16K Boinc PPD from it daily.

10. sujo

Thanks Received:
    Thanx, I have been running this system for about four months.:) It does get a bit laggy if you try and play games or watch vids, I usually just snooze the gpu during the need for all resources. yeah I know not crunching?.... bad sujo bad :eek::nutkick:

11. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I'm running a 6850 @ 850mhz with 2 WU's and it's averaging 12 mins each. I get about 14-15K Boinc PPD from it daily. I also get 4K from the other 6 cores of the i7-870.

12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    A 6850 will put out about 9 to 10k ppd doing 1 gpu wu on the card.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. sujo

Thanks Received:
    True, was thinking to sqeeze a couple extra points for ya'll.

14. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Squeeze away. We love extra points!

15. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I left the HTPC runing and apparently it already netted 12562 points. I guess I'll break >25K per day. :rockout:

stinger608 and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. seby83 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sign me up

edit: i got i3 2100+gtx 660ti

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    stinger608 says thanks.
  17. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    when are statistics updated? every X hours, once a day?

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Usually 2-3 times a day. Most of us use this site (FreeDC)- same link that is in stinger608's sig ;)

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=bwcg&team=22175&sort=today

FYI- since there a lot of new users here.... WCG points are 7x FreeDC/BOINC points (7 WCG pts= 1 BOINC pt) - we go by FreeDC/BOINC points for Milestones and Pie posts, WCG points for Daily Numbers posts.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Emperor_Piehead

Thanks Received:
    ?

So how well a nvidia card do cause i keep hearing AMD cards mentioned? Its a gtx 670 and if it does well sign me up my friend would be happy just to get a 7770. I will get him to help also :)

20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That's a good idea. I'm certainly not comfortable with spending $50 sending a GPU to Kazakhstan. And we do have the PayPal gifts as well---and games. Plenty of things that would be easy to get to international winners :toast:

And thanks for the offer--I appreciate it :toast:
    I guess you could, but I don't think it makes sense. Even a HD6770 will be many, many times faster than the P4s. And I think it's a bit wasteful to dedicate hundreds of watts to something that scores as low as a P4 does. But your choice. More HW is always appreciated :toast:
    And it's only 25k total points that you have to make (reported by Free-DC, BOINCStats, and the BOINC manager--175k as according to WCG)
    Sure! :toast:
    What are you running?

Not great, but better than CPUs. I have a system with an i7-2700k and two GTX470s and untouched (no use) it gets just over 40k PPD most of the time. About 18-18.5k PPD per GPU and then a few K from the CPU :)
    Welcome aboard!

xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Count me in. Crunching on a Phenom II X4.

22. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I think I better politely decline HW prizes, unless they are not bought yet, perhaps.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Here's a nice update :)

ErikaT from WCG admin has posted our challenge on the WCG Facebook and Twitter pages! :toast:

Link:
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=411649

Daimus and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Emperor_Piehead

Thanks Received:
    Well even though it does perform well i will just leave my computer for about 2 weeks that will be plenty of points. Also is their any specific project i'm new to this stuff?

25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    We run all of the WCG sub-projects. Different members have different reasons for crunching, and consequently may focus on Help Conquer Cancer or Fight Aids At Home, while others of us run everything :toast:

Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU