1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XBox 720 will ban you for playing used games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1ceTr0n, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Buying AAA titles for $5 is far from greedy.

2. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    lol at the Chapulin Colorado picture :laugh:

First, the XBox 720 will not ban you for playing used games. The article just says that games are going to be tied to your Live account.

Second, I don't think that what the article says is true. The logistics for such a move would be a nightmare as each disc would need to have a different serial burned on it. How do you deal with that in a mass production scheme?

I see them using activation codes for online features, a la EA, but entire games? If they really go ahead with that I think we can say goodbye to MS on the console front. Halo 5 wouldn't be enough.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
  4. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, I already got that with my Steam account. I'll just save the money and play games on my PC.

Rumors are rumors and we won't know until the console launches, but if this is actually in the plans then Microsoft lost a sale to me. Not that they care, mind you, but I like to trade in my used games for a discount on brand new ones, or trade back and forth with my friends on games we don't necessarily want to shell out $60 for. Doesn't Microsoft realize the $60 is nearly a full days wages for a lot of people?

I can buy most AAA non-exclusive games on my PC, save money from the XBL subscription and hook it up to my TV with an Xbox 360 controller no problem whatsoever.

5. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    There was a ruling recently if I am not mistaken which stated "All things bought and paid for by consumers are considered property of the new owner and are totally legal to sell"
    Aka (the first-sale doctrine. )

http://www.catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=47932

Apple is having this battle and is loosing last I heard.
    You can't take ownership away from people.
    They buy it, they own it.
    As long as they don't violate laws regulating it, that make it somehow illegal.

6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  7. syeef

Thanks Received:
    What about EU? and their new law? that you may re-sell your digital contents.

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't it be great if like no one bought a console and everyone just used the money to make a decent gaming PC. Then maybe we'd get console exclusive games on the PC. Plus all my friends would own the same platform copy of that next great MP game and I wouldn't have to fork out double.

A man can dream.

_JP_ says thanks.
  9. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ ROFL. Insaneful wishful thinking there bud

10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    didn't even think about renting, gamefly and similar services would be in trouble.

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I really do miss the days were you swapped NES,SNES,N64 cartridges with your buddies and you first words were "DO NOT ERASE MY SAVE!!!"

_JP_ says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My brother used to play on my gameboy colour on pokemon or TMNT, and always ALWAYS overwrite my save. I dont like spamming ultraballs to catch something for no discernible reason. It was just too much to ask for 2 save slots.

13. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    This will more than likely never happen. It's one thing for a service like Battle.net to disallow you from trading a game, it would be a completely different thing if Windows physically prevented you from playing a game. If Microsoft did this they would be losing out on a ton of potential customers, the budget gamers that buy the system and pick up new games and sell them back to Gamestop to trade in for older ones a few days or weeks later after they beat them.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I had that happen on Phantasy Star III. I was on the third generation and my buddy saved right over it like an idiot.....I got him back however. I saved over his 13 hours into Final Fantasy III file. I thought his head was gonna explode. :laugh:

15. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont see the problem with this at all. Most PC gamers have DRM like origin and steam, none of us sell our games, and we rarely complain about it. 95% of my games are on Steam, 4% on Origina, and 1% on disk which I make images of, crack, then add-non steam game to library for ease. Play offline is fine, you just dont get to play with other people, and I think most people who buy games to play them online (CoD BF etc) will probably not sell the game anyway. PC is the same, you wanna play online? Better have it on DRM or a serial key. Sure you can use hamachi and tunngle, but thats a massive minority. Dont see why people on consoles will complain about this change. If a game is good enough, then they will commit to buying it and keeping it forever. I wouldnt try and sell any of my games on steam.

except flora's fruit farm, that unfortunately came in some pack without me noticing, but my nieces love that, whatever it is...

16. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    In order to sell it, owner would need to revoke his/her license from account it is tied with. This makes renting a hassle, because of constant activate/revoke cycle ... If it goes like this, I'm pretty sure they will limit the activation count for a single game key. :shadedshu

17. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    You have no idea how easy that is to do. In fact, I believe it has already been done.

The Xbox games could come with CD keys, similar to steam.

18. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    25-50 character alpha-numeric on an xbox controller...awesome.

19. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather get AIDS than go through that...

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  20. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    1) Rumors. SOny has had patents on this crap from well before the PS3 came out, but they never utilized them because consumers would lash back.
    2) Gamestop stock took a hit when investors finally realized what this means for the future of the gaming second hand market. They will not hold back in defending themselves.
    3) You buy computer games. They get patches, DLC, and have to be installed. You can use a computer to browse the internet, and get actual work done. Once consoles incorporate PC DRM, they are killing themselves. They already require painful load times, lower level DRM, and only perform one task. The only benefit will be the cost of a console versus that of a PC.
    4) Valve boned the Nintendo x Sony x MS relationship with Steam. Once cheap games, with the DRM that publishers want, became available 24-7-365 over the internet consoles were rather outmoded. Combine this with Valve's aggressive pricing, and the fact that consoles attempts at online entry have been poor at best, and you've got a disaster for console companies.

5) Even if the other four points are disregarded, what is the motivation for MS? They license out game development, so killing used games will hurt their bottom line. No used games will translate to poorer sales, because people will never buy at full price. A $60 game is reasonable if you can resell it for $20 after playing, but not if it's worth nothing. None of this even scratches the lending of games, and need for online authentication. ME tried for 100% online, Assasin's Creed tried it, Anno 20 (I can't even care about the title to look it up) tried it. They all either changed scope, or sales figures sucked due to this practice.

Bring on the next console wars. I'm looking forward to PC versus Nintendo, because Valve looks like a champion compared to the twice baked turd of DRM heavy consoles.

21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I for some reason don't see this happening due to the fact of the game rental companies.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. jagd

Thanks Received:
    I see biggest problem is pricing with this aproach ,steam do great discounts 3 times in ayear and daily/weekend deals etc , you can get a PC game relatively cheap vs console games after sometime .This is a trade off for steam system cheap - unsaleable games with steam DRM
    Console users will be paying high price and getting worse DRM just to feed microsoft's greed
    Game publishers already talking price rise for next gen console games .
    Disclamer im not a console gamer ,im a pc guy :toast:

23. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Its a simple fact that it comes down to greed. Once a game has been sold as new, the publisher/developer made their money off that sale, period. Beyond that, they are just mad because another consumer will purchase the same game later on once its been turned in as used for a lower price and they see none of the profit vs if the person bought it new.

My response? Too farking bad. Welcome to a captialist economy.

24. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    ...So Xbox Live will essentially be Steam, but for console only. I don't see anything wrong with this, You can already buy full games on Live.

25. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Because one of consoles main selling points and safe haven's for gamers on a tight budget was NOT having to deal with this crap, me included.