1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XBox 720 will ban you for playing used games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1ceTr0n, Feb 6, 2013.

1. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Lost money for who? GameStop or Gamefly? Those are the company's that will lose money. Fucking game developers will absolutely love this shit because it's them that complain the loudest about rental games and used games. Once the original game is bought they lose all the money they see GS and game rental companies make. They are greedy and want some of that.

I will be bummed if this is true because I buy a lot of used games at gamestop or on craigslist.

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Actually, when they filed for the patents and there was the backlash, I seem to remember they released an official statement saying they only patented the technology to make sure no one actually used it.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    MS could always use a different method as patents only cover the specific method outlined in said patent.

Still, I don't see MS doing it. If anything, the always on DRM is more about piracy than used games.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

_JP_ and Darkleoco say thanks.
  5. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    And of course they can keep game prices higher for longer. I lost count of how many titles I've had to buy used because prices on the new game just haven't dropped and then it vanishes from store shelves. Limited publishing just is a horror if you don't want to pay premium for a great title.

Console gaming is already expensive enough. Everyone says PC gaming is more pricey due to hardware but really...you pay more for console games than you do for PC. PC games go on sale much faster, with some exceptions. Being able to buy used games on console helps balance this out. Take away that and incentive drops.

6. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
  7. Henry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well that's a stupid idea..

8. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

_JP_ says thanks.
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this is going to encourage people to just mod their consoles and get all the games free, instead of the current mix of new and used games.

severe methods like this push people into less legitimate methods of acquiring their games, unless the prices for new games drop this generation.

_JP_ says thanks.
  10. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    QFT
    Piracy is like life in Jurassic Park it will find a way

11. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    10 whole games? wow. I've never even seen so many games:roll:

I have hundreds installed via steam. They occupy nearly 1TB. My gaming raid isn't even half full. lol

And to put it mildly, I'm not even among the most prevalent steam users.

Storage will have to be vastly improved on the newer models. Texture packs of a few key titles are enough to fill up that kind of storage. The next gen Xbox needs at least 1TB, games aren't getting any smaller. Well indie might be, but AAA titles aren't getting any smaller.

_JP_ says thanks.
  12. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    And when all of your space is used up you get a nice little "fuck you" courtesy of Microsoft.

13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I got in a fist fight with the kid down the street cause he saved over my Donkey Kong country save.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    *shrug* I can't solve that problem.

15. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Wow, data whore much? Even my HTPC doesn't have a 1 TB drive. I like to game, but not that much.

Oh wait, I have almost all my games as PHYSICAL copies, like over 40+ so I don't NEED huge harddives and I like being able to hold and see my games like a peice of history and memory :rockout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    mmm... that policarbonate smell...

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    My desktop has 2 1TB storage drives plus a SSD and even my laptop has a 1TB storage drive with an SSD , and its not just games that take up space, music/movies, even mods (once you get alot of them) start to really add up. I have 13gb worth of Skyrim mods on my desktop.

As for having games as physical copies in my opinion it is great to be able to show off your collection like that but when you can get deals on digital copies such as Darksiders II for $8 on Amazon you start to see less and less reason to pick up a physical copy unless you are getting a game on launch day with no potential for savings.

18. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Yep, console games too, Its like...popping a virgins cherry and inhaling deeply of the scent........:pimp: