1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP Pro SP2/Vista Beta2 dual-boot

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Fleabus, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Fleabus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi:

I Use WinXP Pro SP2 with 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 3Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB buffer HDDs in a non-RAID config.

I have a third identical drive which is new and unused that I’d like to add and use to dual-boot Vista Beta2.

How do I go about doing this?

Is there a good step-by-step page you can refer me to?

I’m assuming that I connect the new HDD, boot to BIOS Setup, enable the SATA port [3], load the Vista disc, Save & Exit.
    I assume also that like with XP, I point the O/S installer to the new HDD, partition and format a Primary say V:,
    say ok to install Vista there and partition/format the rest of the HDD later within Vista.

N.B. My main system is networked to two other boxes via a wired router. An MCE2005 box and another with XP SP2 Home.
    They have printer sharing and all three have file sharing enabled. No password logins. I’m the only one with access to any of the thre boxes.
    Any issues to look out for when Vista discovers the network?

Thanks,

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    You'll need that second hard drive :p. Here's what you have to do. Put in the second hard drive, boot from the Vista DVD, format the second drive, put Vista on that formatted partition, and then play with Vista. When you want to switch between XP and Vista, go into BIOS and fool with boot order (tell it which hard disk to boot from). Tell me how this works.

3. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    vista will install a boot loader file that will default to vista [assuming you install on it's own hdd] as stated above ....the network will have no probs it just takes some getting use to the way vista runs sharing [BTW you can get 1 year free antiV from CA Etrust follow the link in vista]