• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX lies about their warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxking1

Thanks for the help in keeping this thread on top newtekie1. My warranty issue was over almost a week ago now, and I don't think XFX will change their mind. I knew it was a crapshoot when I sent the card back and was honest with XFX about what happened to the card. I was prepared to let them decide whether or not to replace the card. I was not prepared for them lying to me, saying the card was waterdamaged. When I purchased the card, I was not prepared to deal with the label from hell in order to get the card apart. If I had known about the label I wouldn't have purchased it.

I just want to let other modders know about their label. If they want to take a chance and cut out the screwholes, then thats fine, at least they knew before they bought the card. There are other companies selling almost exactly the same card without the label and with mod friendly policies. If you plan to mod there is no reason to buy XFX unless you are an employee or just a mindless fanboy. XFX fanboys and employees keep responding and we will keep this thread on top for all potential customers so that they may be informed buyers.

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It doesn't really matter what reason you claim they said for denying the RMA, the only thing that matters is that YOU voided the warranty so they have every right to deny any RMA on the card. They never lied about their warranty, as you claim.

Furthermore, the completely amatuer way you removed the sticker gives a good example of how the rest of the installation processes went. If you used absolutely no care when removing the sticker, chances are no care was used the rest of the process either. And judging by that, I wouldn't be surprised if something you did killed the card anyway.

Again, if he would have used a little care removing the sticker, or simply cut out the holes for the screws, XFX would probably not have had an issue with RMAing the card. Either way though, something he did likely killed the card, so XFX shouldn't have to replace the card anyway.

So you killed the card when installing the waterblock. See, an amatuer job of removing the sticker, and an amatuer job installing the waterblock. XFX had ever right to deny the RMA. Next time, use a little care when doing something like this.

If you would have used a little care and not done such an amatuer job removing the sticker, XFX probably wouldn't have had an issue with replacing the card that YOU broke. As it is, you are not entitled to a replacement at all, so you shouldn't really be bitching that you didn't get one. However, XFX would have taken the hit had you taken a little time to do the job right.

He's not annoyed about not getting the RMA, he's annoyed that they LIED!!! about the reason. If they had turned around and said "sorry, but you voided the warranty by removing this sticker" then I'm sure he wouldn't be making a fuss, but the fact they are saying it's water-damage (even though it WASN'T when the card left him) is what he's pissed about.

He realised the risk about sending it back in that condition, but they LIED to him about the reason they refused to accept it.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
He's not annoyed about not getting the RMA, he's annoyed that they LIED!!! about the reason. If they had turned around and said "sorry, but you voided the warranty by removing this sticker" then I'm sure he wouldn't be making a fuss, but the fact they are saying it's water-damage (even though it WASN'T when the card left him) is what he's pissed about.

He realised the risk about sending it back in that condition, but they LIED to him about the reason they refused to accept it.

but do we know the real resoning here, the OP only assumes it was due to the sticker. What if he did in fact crack the core with the application of the block. Did they lie then?;)

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
but do we know the real resoning here, the OP only assumes it was due to the sticker. What if he did in fact crack the core with the application of the block. Did they lie then?;)

Yes, I see what you mean, I do, but they said it was damp. If they said "the core's cracked, the card is in shit condition" fair enough, but saying it's something it's not is wrong IMO.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Yes, I see what you mean, I do, but they said it was damp. If they said "the core's cracked, the card is in shit condition" fair enough, but saying it's something it's not is wrong IMO.

I agree, but I think there may have been a bit of a miscommunication with the word "damp".

Unless the carrier dropped it into a puddle just before it arrived, I dont see how a card could be "wet" after 2-3 days in shipping. Maybe they hit it with a UV light to check for traces of coolant, or as I say just damaged in the replacemant process.

But I do agree they should be more specific then "damp" when they gave a reason.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Sure I'll explain what happened. The card was working with the air cooling. I installed a watercooling block and leak tested. No leaks in my system anywhere. When I reinstalled the card it no longer worked.

You just said it yourself, you messed something up and blew the card, maybe by static, maybe by liquid, maybe by not placing the cooler on it right, maybe taking off the old cooler. But there you go, dead admittance of fault, man you can't go calling very high standing companies liars because you screwed up your hardware.

I'm sorry your card is blown, that truly sucks, maybe the sticker shouldn't be so hard to remove, maybe terms of warranty should be a little more implied, but this doesn't make them liars or a scum company.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I agree, but I think there may have been a bit of a miscommunication with the word "damp".

Unless the carrier dropped it into a puddle just before it arrived, I dont see how a card could be "wet" after 2-3 days in shipping. Maybe they hit it with a UV light to check for traces of coolant, or as I say just damaged in the replacemant process.

But I do agree they should be more specific then "damp" when they gave a reason.

That is as maybe, but it does not change the fact that they changed tactic when he first spoke to them and gave a different reason, at least suggesting that the first reason was untrue, either way the customer was misled, yes it dont change anything, I have had a pack of lies given to me in the past about RMA's but from shops, never from a reputable manufacturer.

System Name The Netbook
Processor Intel Atom n270
Memory 1GB DDR2 533mhz
Video Card(s) Intel G945
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 10.1" LCD
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Starter x86

I don't blame him for being pissed, I would be too, but there's a high chance that his water block could have in fact leaked on it, caused a short, and then dried before he sent it in for RMA. Like you said, they probably hit it with a UV light and found coolant on the card and then exaggerated the point by saying it was "damp" rather than saying "we found coolant all over the card."
The fact is, and I'm sorry to say it waxking, but you damaged the card beyond warranty and they could have told you they couldn't replace it for any number of reasons.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
That is as maybe, but it does not change the fact that they changed tactic when he first spoke to them and gave a different reason, at least suggesting that the first reason was untrue, either way the customer was misled, yes it dont change anything, I have had a pack of lies given to me in the past about RMA's but from shops, never from a reputable manufacturer.

A decent argument here about standards and testing that should be done and completed.
But again, I wouldn't dead out call them liars it's possible they could have found numerous things and thought the first, I mean lets be honest I deal with a lot of customers that want to whine, and sometimes I give them a load of crap just to shut them up.

*Not in the sense that I don't honor a warranty or anything, but in general sense when they try to argue and I'm really not in the mood, very possible this could be the case*

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I completely understand tatty, but as always there a 3 versions of every story. The consumers, the companies, and the real story!:)

System Name Dark Aurora
Processor Intel e6600 @ 4.09ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Formula x38
Cooling Custom Water Cooling on Cpu and Gpu
Memory 4gb Corsair DDR-2 800mhz/ 2gb Patriot DDR-2 1066mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 8800gt 512mb
Storage 160gb Maxtor, 250gb Western Digital, 320gb Maxtor
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Gigabyte Aurora 570 (Black)
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750W
Software Dual boot Windows XP/Fedora 8
Benchmark Scores AM3 201,045 Super Pi 12.453s @ 4.09ghz
Ok, reading this thread is really starting to piss me off.

Everyone is ripping on XFX for "Lying" about receiving a damp card.

What no-one has really brought up to defend XFX is that the dampness could have occurred while in transit, in which case it is the shipping companies problem.

It could very well happen and were it the case, XFX has done nothing wrong. They received a damp card and assumed that this guy had no idea what he was doing with his water cooling. Which after seeing the sticker is a pretty easy conclusion to jump to.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Ok, reading this thread is really starting to piss me off.

Everyone is ripping on XFX for "Lying" about receiving a damp card.

What no-one has really brought up to defend XFX is that the dampness could have occurred while in transit, in which case it is the shipping companies problem.

It could very well happen and were it the case, XFX has done nothing wrong. They received a damp card and assumed that this guy was an idiot with his water cooling. Which after seeing the sticker is a pretty easy conclusion to jump to.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Ok?

A) I covered the fact that the carrier could have gotten it wet, but then the box would have shown obviously that that was the case

B) Please reword the post as not to insult members at TPU (calling another member an idiot is out of line)

Thank you very much!:toast:

System Name Dark Aurora
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
I did not call him idiot. I said XFX support must have assumed he was one. Which if a company receives a wet card with the sticker looking like that and dead. Seems pretty logical.

I mean think about if you were the one processing this rma.

You get a wet card, with the sticker on the back looking like that, and dead, what are you going to think?

The box could have gotten wet and water gotten into the card. The box dries before it arrives with the water trapped inside the heatsink.

XFX rma opens what looks like a dry box, finds a damp card with a scrapped up sticker thats totally dead.

The End.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
your assuming still.

A) you are calling him an idiot with the end line of "Which after seeing the sticker is a pretty easy conclusion to jump to." that is your opinion.

B) you are also assuming the card wasnt in an anti static bag, which would prtect it from water.

C) I have yet to see a box get so wet that the contents were still "damp" and the box didnt swell or show that it had been soaked.

D) The End???? does that mean only your ideas matter here?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
I skimmed through some of this and from what I understand if what the OP say's is true they may have created an estoppel. If the owner has proof that they created ambiguity as to why they denied his RMA, per the contract (ie: warranty). He may have a case to have his card exchanged. Before taking it further the owner may need to explain the situation to a manager. Explaining the ambiguity and the fact that the condition of the card was not in said condition (per the owner in this thread).

See if they take the high road and replace the card and discipline the person who may have created the situation.

Edit:
If that doesn't work, go to step 2. That would be to file a compliant with the BBB. Make sure you explain all the important details with a date. As a matter of fact start each paragraph or sentence with a date and time (if applicable) 1st. For example:
On x/x/2008 you emailed for an RMA
On x/x/2008 you sent the video card xxx 2 day air to xxx company
On x/x/2008 they received the video card
On x/x/2008 they told you x, y, z.
etc

Last edited:
System Name Dark Aurora
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
your assuming still.

A) you are calling him an idiot with the end line of "Which after seeing the sticker is a pretty easy conclusion to jump to." that is your opinion.

B) you are also assuming the card wasnt in an anti static bag, which would prtect it from water.

C) I have yet to see a box get so wet that the contents were still "damp" and the box didnt swell or show that it had been soaked.

D) The End???? does that mean only your ideas matter here?

A) Put yourself in the person who's managing rma's shoes? What would your thoughts be?

B) Your assuming it wasn't and I've yet to hear otherwise.

C) Doesn't mean it can't happen.

D) The end of my post, and my points. Never said my opinion was the only one that mattered, don't judge me when you don't know me.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Ok man relax a bit here.

Your opinion on what XFX thinks is irrelevant and the fact remains you are calling another member names based on opinion.

Also no one is judging you just relax and edit the original post please.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
This seems to be getting to be a rough conversation..

We should all be facing the facts here...

His warranty is void do to changing the cooler, it did happen when he changed the cooler, that's obvious.

Warranties are all written vague and all have the "at our discretion" type statements.

XFX is a known high standing company

There cannot be 100% happy customers and experiences with a company.

Although what they said may sound a little shady to some, it really doesn't make a big difference in this case does it?

Lets not get all edged up over someone who made a mistake, and a company that declined a warranty on a card, weather they made a valid excuse or not the fact stands the warranty was very well indeed void.

Comes down to the old story, want a warranty, don't mess with it to be safe.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
XFX screwed up long ago with the 7900s. They just kept shipping them out with the bad samsung mem and wouldn't stop (even several months later).

I sent them an email after the RMA card started dying and told them off. They know they won't be getting my business again.

I was able to voltmod the card and get it stable. Sending shit back for RMA (2nd time) is BS.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
XFX screwed up long ago with the 7900s. They just kept shipping them out with the bad samsung mem and wouldn't stop (even several months later).

I sent them an email after the RMA card started dying and told them off. They know they won't be getting my business again.

I was able to voltmod the card and get it stable. Sending shit back for RMA (2nd time) is BS.

If you look, you can find something bad every company that has ever existed did.
7900's were a mess to start with lol, I never would have touched one, but I can understand how you would feel, and I can't agree more.

Point is, you should really never let a single bad experience completely set you off. Companies are not people ripping you off, there are too many people involved and people leave and new ones come in and the company runs different.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
If you look, you can find something bad every company that has ever existed did.
7900's were a mess to start with lol, I never would have touched one, but I can understand how you would feel, and I can't agree more.

Point is, you should really never let a single bad experience completely set you off. Companies are not people ripping you off, there are too many people involved and people leave and new ones come in and the company runs different.

What really turned me off was that I was already going out on a limb buying XFX (1st time but good price) for a friend (3 cards failed). While my friend knows it's not my fault, it pisses me off.

I should've spent the cash and got the EVGA.

(Everything is black and white to me. No control over BPD)

waxking1

XFX did lie to me and I was a bit miffed, but that is not the point I'm trying to make here. You don't know me, I could be lying about that. I sent the card back in, in its original box, inside the foam completely encased and inside the factory wrapper. From where I am it takes UPS ground 5 days. If the card was wet because UPS dropped it in a puddle, it would have been soaking and they should have refused it.

Whether or not they should have honored the warranty was their decision. When it left me the card had never been touched by a single drop of water. The official reason for voiding the warranty was water damage. They sent me pictures of the label to demonstrate this. Hell, you could soak that label in water for a month and it would look the same. Anyway I called and asked about the water damage since I knew there was none. At that point the rep started talking about the label saying they could not send the card back for credit and the RMA would be denied. Alright lets forget about all this, its my word against theirs.

I'm more interested in why they put this kind of label on the card and if you are a modder, I think you should be also. I think they should state on the label, do not remove as this will void your warranty.

Let's say for argument's purpose, that I know for a fact that I killed the card(I don't know this but its possible) and I had carefully cut around the holes instead of peeling off the label, believe it or not it came off in one piece and left the card like the picture. Do you think they would have honored the warranty then? I really don't know. But I doubt it. This is something they came up with after I created a big stir.

You guys other point is that I killed the card by installing a WB and it was my fault so it shouldn't be warrantied. Well if a company has a warranty that says its OK to install aftermarket cooling devices, how do you know which one to honor or deny? You have to honor them all or none because you can't tell what killed the card. I guess if it had really been wet maybe they could have told I don't know. All I use in my WC system at this point is distilled water.

As I said before, my warranty claim was denied almost a week ago and I know they aren't going to give me another card. I'm not trying to get them to change their mind about this and I really don't want to have any more dealings with a company that lied to me, I'm done with XFX.

My whole point of this is to warn other modders who may want to put different thermal paste, or an aftermarket air cooler or a partial or full waterblock. Don't buy XFX for this, even if you were happy with them before why risk messing with their label when you can buy a card from a different company and not have this concern. Change your thermal paste and if your card dies, you own it, simple as that. Are you really going to buy one of these cards and take the chance of cutting around the holes and hope they honor your warranty?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3

You are making the assumption that Waxking is even telling the truth about XFX's original reason for denying the RMA. At this point, I don't believe a word he says, he is more of a liar than XFX. Sounds to me like he is just pissed off at XFX for not RMAing the card he fried, so now he is trying everything he can to give them a bad name. The fact that he is going around trolling different forums with his BS story doesn't look to good for him either.

System Name The Netbook
Processor Intel Atom n270
Memory 1GB DDR2 533mhz
Video Card(s) Intel G945
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 10.1" LCD
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Starter x86
You are making the assumption that Waxking is even telling the truth about XFX's original reason for denying the RMA. At this point, I don't believe a word he says, he is more of a liar than XFX. Sounds to me like he is just pissed off at XFX for not RMAing the card he fried, so now he is trying everything he can to give them a bad name. The fact that he is going around trolling different forums with his BS story doesn't look to good for him either.

It wouldn't matter anyway, ALL warranties have an "excessive damage clause" stating that if it's obvious that physical damage has been done to the product on purpose, regardless of warranty they will assume that you're trying to fraud the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.