• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to connect/on svideo from laptop to lcd?

System Name HP envy 17 3090nr
Processor Intel core i7-2670QM 2.2ghz
Memory 8gb
Storage 1TB
Software Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Benchmark Scores Windows experience index 6.9
Hello,
I wanted to connect my laptop hp dv6226tx to my samsung 32" lcd, to display video as well as play audio of laptop in lcd.

i bought following cable from ebay and connected svideo side to laptop svideo and other 3
pins [red,white and yellow] to my laptop, but it's not detecting my laptop.

7 PIN S-VIDEO+STEREO T0 3 RCA AUDIO-AV CABLE 1.5M-3RCA

Is there anything i need to do in lcd/laptop to switch on svideo out from laptop to lcd?

i was using vga cable before and it was showing video from laptop to lcd properly.

Please tell me what to do.

I hope it'll work.

Thanks.

Memory 8gb
Storage 1TB
Update : I tried to insert red cable in yellow slot of lcd, it was showing display but of poorest quality and near to black and white type..but nothing when insert yellow cable in yellow slot..
and no audio output..
strange..

System Name AMD Black Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB GDDR5 w AC Twin Turbo
Storage Crucial C300 64GB SSD, 500GB and 2TB Drives
Display(s) Samsung 2494hm, Dell (Samsung?) 1907FP
Case Lancool (Lian-Li on a budget) K7
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC889A, M-Audio Fast Tracks
Power Supply OCZ Mod-X-Stream Pro 600W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64, XP Pro
S-Video doesn't output sound. Never has. Yes some devices could use the extra pins to carry sound but there would be no standard for that. So that would be specific equipment with very specific cables. The extra pins on a notebook or video cards din connector can (and usually do) carry RGB or Component video and by the sounds of it that is what you got. Sounds like you got one of the separated color signals, or either one of the chroma/luma s-vid signals instead of the composite (yellow) signal you wanted.

You say you had a VGA cable to your LCD and it worked? Neither Composite or S-Video is capable of HD while VGA like RGB can do HD resolutions and will give you the best picture. Sounds like you already had your best option hooked up and working!

Either way you HAVE to do your sound separately. I doubt your notebook outputs sound on that 7 pin din connection and even if it does like I said it would be a really specific cable.

Get a "3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA (red, white) adapter cable" and plug it into your headphone out jack on the laptop. Turn the windows volume up to about %75 and run the 2x RCA (red, white) to your TV or stereo.

Last edited:

RaPiDo987

System Name O.G Double O.G.
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.7Ghz on 1.437V
Motherboard BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M
Cooling Sunbeam CCTF 120mm (CPU), Scythe 3000 rpm "ULTRA KAZE" x 3,
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 4890 1Gb XT
Storage 1 TB
Display(s) Acer H233Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
Case Thermaltake M9
Power Supply 700w Rocketfish
Software Win 7 x64
Memory 8gb
Storage 1TB
i tried agan today.

and observed, fitting only red pin cable in red slot of lcd, was showing b/w blurred pictured and loosely fitting yellow pin cable in red slot, [not if i fit it complete in slot] was showing proper p;icture, but not as clear as in vga cable which was showing 100% perfact display.

and no audio from lcd.

then where is the problem? problem in cable as red plays yellow and yellow plays role of red one? and no audio ?

anyone can guide me how to enable audio too?

I've got following cables too from it. how to use them to have audio from laptop to lcd?

Thanks.

Enjoy Holidays!