• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Everything turned to notepad

Ok this is for my brother and I'll apologise now for the lack of info you and I may receive during this thread.

From what I know he tried to open an unknown file type and somehow has totally naffed the settings so isn't able to open any file almost because of this. here's a screen print of his desktop.

As you can see, seem's to all look like notepad files :laugh:

If you need any more info on this let me know what exactly and i'll dig it up myself.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Ok this is for my brother and I'll apologise now for the lack of info you and I may receive during this thread.

From what I know he tried to open an unknown file type and somehow has totally naffed the settings so isn't able to open any file almost because of this. here's a screen print of his desktop.

http://img.techpowerup.org/100911/Capture065.jpg

As you can see, seem's to all look like notepad files :laugh:

If you need any more info on this let me know what exactly and i'll dig it up myself.

Maybe this?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4174/fixing-when-all-thumbnail-icons-show-the-same-or-wrong-image/

Also, don't want to know what that one picture in the middle left is... wtf. :cry:

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
change the file name to xxx.LNK (xxx being whatever is already before the dot.) should work. If not, then you'll have to enable viewing of known filetypes extensions. Im at work on an XP computer atm, so someone else jump in and walk him through how to enable that in w7

Your option didn't work :ohwell: and as for the video/pic I have no idea and I aint even going to ask :laugh:

change the file name to xxx.LNK (xxx being whatever is already before the dot.) should work. If not, then you'll have to enable viewing of known filetypes extensions. Im at work on an XP computer atm, so someone else jump in and walk him through how to enable that in w7

Changing the file name didn't work either as it won't let him apparently.

streetfighter 2

Run scanners. Full sensor sweep, maximum range.

Aft thrusters to full, hard to port!

I want shields at maximum Mr. Scotty and I don't want to hear that shit about not having enough power.

Other than my star trek reference, you could try changing the registry settings in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT... Real pain in the ass though. If you have system restore enabled you can manually restore the registry to a previous date or use the System Restore interface and have it done automatically.

temp02

Papahyooie is kinda right, the .LNK files association (shortcuts) are messed up, let me just boot up Windows 7 and I'll get a registry fix (copy from mine).

EDIT: Here you go, execute this two registry files (add to registry, executing as admin is probably required), reboot the machine and see if it fixes.

If you are not sure if these files are safe, please do open them with notepad (pun intended) and you can see that these only add two classes under HKCR.

Attachments

• lnk_reg_fix.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Aft thrusters to full, hard to port!

I want shields at maximum Mr. Scotty and I don't want to hear that shit about not having enough power.

:roll: Sure thing Captain but we now have further information following the destruction of this system :laugh:

Here's what I found, and can't/don't know how to change back to it's original state

Notice what is managing the file extension's?

Perseid

Processor i7-870
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212
Memory 2x OCZ Special Ops 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 470
Storage Numerous 1.5 and 2 TB
Display(s) HP w2338h
Case NZXT Lexa S
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series 950W
Software Windows 7
Run ComboFix. If that doesn't work, run HijackThis and look for entries related to that FileCure thing. Also, google FileCure.

You might need to use cmd to actually run any of these programs.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Filecure sounds suspicious... could be a virus. What is definitely wrong is the shortcuts are being associated with notepad instead of .LNK (shortcut file type.) Probably the reason you werent able to do it is because known filetype extensions are still hidden, so essentially when you rename it its making it xxx.lnk.txt. You want it to be xxx.lnk WITHOUT the txt. You will have to enable showing of known filetypes, which is the part I don't have in front of me to do.

Then again Temp02's reg fixes should work just fine.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
wasn't there just a big announcement about vulnerabilities to the LNK files and how they work

I say its time to wipe and reload

wasn't there just a big announcement about vulnerabilities to the LNK files and how they work

I say its time to wipe and reload

Meh... I'm sick of doing it for him to be honest, Once every few month's he comes round with his laptop with a sad face talking really nice and softly... I think that's more annoying than having to actually re-install his OS :laugh:

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro

streetfighter 2

Yes, its a "pirate program." It literally hijacks your computer and demands you pay in order to fix itself. Many of these programs pose as anti-spyware or antivirus programs. They tell you that your computer is infected and that you should buy thier software to fix it. (when their software is indeed the virus) Should be classified as cyber-terrorism, IMO.

This is what I meant when I said

There was some serious business in my joke.

Run it down the list:
Combofix>Hijackthis>MBAM>sending a picture of something really really nasty to wade.clayton@paretologic.com from an anonymous email address

I'd honestly skip to the last bit myself. Tell your friend to fork over a wad of cash so you can buy him a copy of I'mNotFixingItAgain4Free Asshat Edition.

Last edited: