• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The movie industry is dictating that DRM be built into Intel's new line of CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Intel on Monday said that it was building a hardware security layer in its next-generation Core chips to prevent streaming movies from being copied.
This technology is going to be used to ensure that you can’t copy a movie streaming over the internet, not for a DVD or Blu-Ray you legally purchased or even a file you may have torrented. Just streaming. Netflix, Blockbuster and various On-Demand services will use this and as a result more content will become available. Yes, it’s DRM and yes, it will be embedded in future generations of Intel Core processors.
Intel is adding specialized hardware accelerators to quickly encode and decode video. The feature, called Quick Sync, allows users to transfer high-definition video into a format suitable for smartphones in a matter of seconds. The hardware accelerators are faster than software, which could take minutes to transfer video.
Intel is also upgrading its Wi-Di technology, which enables users to wirelessly transmit images and video from a PC to a high-definition TV. Users will now be able to stream 1080p content, an improvement from the previous 720p resolution. Users will also be able to stream protected movies from the Intel Insider feature, Regis said.
This isn’t even going to stop you from doing what you want to do with your content, which is stream it from your computer to your TV.
DRM is bad for business, but you don’t have to buy the hardware. Vote with your wallet.

Thatguy

Yes. EXACTLY.

But how do you propose that artists then protect thier intellectual property? I'm all ears for good alternatives...

See, another part of the problem is that many forget that artists are supposed to be STARVING ARTISTS...not rich ones.

You can't protect media, period, ever. Let it go. what you do is perform. Thats how you stop being a starving artist.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You can't protect media, period, ever. Let it go. what you do is perform. Thats how you stop being a starving artist.

Ok, but this technology is all about protecting the media. A recording artist, yes, performs, but what about the movie industry? Perhaps that side of the industry is where I work, where performance ina live setting is near impossible?

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
When you find my music, let me know. My relationship with the industry makes DRM nessecary. I don't have "FANS". I have customers. They protect the work I do, to protect the investment they made. I don't see any negative impact here...what so negative about it?

I don't see this as "screwing with the hardware". Again, if you don't like it, don't buy! very simple...but the fact of the matter is that people WILL BUY, and not give it a second thought.

i won't buy, but the industry won't stop until i have no choice. as in, either buy that or nothing. so then my option is to not own a computer, or stick with this one for the rest of my life? that's fair, simply to save a small percentage of profits?

instead, why don't you get the money from your industry, that systematically rips off it's artists.and i now do not not consider you an artist. if you have customers, you are a businessman. you can call yourself what you like but your motivation is clear - money, not art.

what's negative is you coming into my home and dictating what i can do with my hardware, when i never would have bought one of your cds anyway! you should have NO impact on my life, provided i am not PIRATING!
but drm affects honest buyers MORE than it affects pirates! it is MUCH, MUCH easier to get a hassle free copy of ANYTHING illegally, than to get ANYTHING with drm hassle free.

think more about your "customers" and less about your own greed.

Thatguy

Ok, but this technology is all about protecting the media. A recording artist, yes, performs, but what about the movie industry? Perhaps that side of the industry is where I work, where performance ina live setting is near impossible?

I'd feel to aweful if big studio productions stopped comming out. In fact I'd shed a tear if local artists could make a reasonable living performing well written material instead. Broadway shows us this can and does work.

Also most movie studios make way more on merchandise then they do on media sales. My suggestion is, quit bitchen and figure it out. The age of recording arts is over and it didn't last very long.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Just took a quick look on the torrents engine.

It seems unless you are a hip hop artist, Katy Perry or Taylor Swift in your style of music, you don't have much to worry about.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'd feel to aweful if big studio productions stopped comming out. In fact I'd shed a tear if local artists could make a reasonable living performing well written material instead. Broadway shows us this can and does work.

Also most movie studios make way more on merchandise then they do on media sales. My suggestion is, quit bitchen and figure it out. The age of recording arts is over and it didn't last very long.

I'm not complaining..clearly making cash is no issue of my own. The issue arises from those feeling that they are losing thier rights via DRM...but I must question..what right?

I am not a recording artist...and yes, I am a businessman.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
folks, there are trolls out there willing to say things just to piss you off. i would suggest not feeding them.

that being said, if you dont like DRM then don't buy music from companies that support it both intel and the music industry.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I'm not complaining..clearly making cash is no issue of my own. The issue arises from those feeling that they are losing thier rights via DRM...but I must question..what right?

Privacy

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA

well if you mean legal rights, that's different the world over. and many "moral" rights differ as well.

but when i say it, i mean my right:
to play my legally purchased media on whatever device i own.
to not be treated like a criminal every time i want to use aforementioned legally purchased media.
to not have corporate interests inject themselves into law, for the sole purpose of making even MORE money from me.

as was said, this individual change will have little to no effect on me. i won't buy it and i don't stream movies anyway(on my pc). but each little step adds up, and eventually i will only have the rights that corporations decide i deserve, and i don't quite think THEY DESERVE that kind of power

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
The issue arises from those feeling that they are losing thier rights via DRM...but I must question..what right?

That is the big question . WHAT RIGHTS do we really have any more ? I say take a good look at your world today and you will see cameras every were on almost every building , street corner , Cop vans , inside phones and every were you go ! No privacy any more no clear choice whether or not you want your face on a tape or camera . NOPE we live for knowing what you do every minute of every day . This is just another way to do this . One step closer to reaching into your home and seeing what you do every second of every day ! Suck it up people you have to .

folks, there are trolls out there willing to say things just to piss you off. i would suggest not feeding them.

that being said, if you dont like DRM then don't buy music from companies that support it both intel and the music industry.

which is what i will do, truthfully though, i don't appreciate the ultimatum.

to be told "if you don't like it, @#$%! off" , when all i want is to use my legally purchased media in the manner that fits my needs. when all i want is to buy a game that won't install hooks into the deepest levels of my system, i don't see what i am doing wrong in that instance. i don't see why they have the right to invade my life and home in such a way, and my only option is to not enjoy something i want and am willing to pay good money for.

what more do they want from me?

granted there is no legal recourse, but i don't even see how people can ethically think that is ok. so pirates are a scourge that must be stopped, and if it means turning advanced pcs into machines that are so limited in use as to be unrecognizable - i think is wrong. that's not what i bought into.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

to be told "if you don't like it, @#$%! off" , when all i want is to use my legally purchased media in the manner that fits my needs. when all i want is to buy a game that won't install hooks into the deepest levels of my system, i don't see what i am doing wrong in that instance. i don't see why they have the right to invade my life and home in such a way, and my only option is to not enjoy something i want and am willing to pay good money for.

don't take it as me telling people who don't like it to screw off. instead, people should take it as me advising them to support other businesses that don't do DRM. personally i think AMD is crap but if they don't do what intel is doing in this regard then my next rig will be AMD. see what i'm saying?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
to not have corporate interests inject themselves into law, for the sole purpose of making even MORE money from me.

that is not a right, unfortuantely. Although I agree with the logistical side of it, part of doing business is shaping the landscape you harvest from to meet your needs. If it was a right, it wouldn't be possible, but it is.

I think this...It's teh CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS....rights, and freedom, are not one and the same, there are seperate things.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech

They want you to be there slave ! Just look at the world around you and you will see this to be true .

don't take it as me telling people who don't like it to screw off. instead, people should take it as me advising them to support other businesses that don't do DRM. personally i think AMD is crap but if they don't do what intel is doing in this regard then my next rig will be AMD. see what i'm saying?

oh for sure, i didn't for a second think that's what youa re saying, but rather - that's what the companies are saying.

and fighting with your purchase only goes so far. there will NEVER be a large enough group of people doing so to make an impact. ever.

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
so if i buy an AMD CPU im fucked so to speak?

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
that is not a right, unfortuantely.
rights, and freedom, are not one and the same, there are separate things.
And we no longer share or have .

that is not a right, unfortuantely. Although I agree with the logistical side of it, part of doing business is shaping the landscape you harvest from to meet your needs. If it was a right, it wouldn't be possible, but it is.

I think this...It's teh CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS....rights, and freedom, are not one and the same, there are seperate things.

but you (and i suppose my comment) are looking at it in black and white.

i can understand a company fighting for a fair environment. lobbying for mutual positive good, but that is not what happens. it is based on greed, and from the same corporate machines who already hold 99% of the wealth in the world.

like the wolf who cried sheep ;)

and NOT that your economic status determines your worth or rights, but quite the opposite. money should not buy you into another system unreachable to "normal folk" and that is exactly what corporate money does. it gives them a whole new set of laws, and allows them to disobey ours.

also, flat out - a corporation is not a person, and should NEVER have the same rights as one.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
so if i buy an AMD CPU im fucked so to speak?

How ? They still think that DRM is not an issue for them to place on there hardware and this may even make it faster than Intel . ;)

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
So everyone is mad because you think you should have the Right to access privately owned media the way you see fit instead of how the owner wants to channel it to you?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
i think i'm gonna unsubscribe from this thread before i get a headache and then get myself into trouble :ohwell:

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
but you (and i suppose my comment) are looking at it in black and white.

i can understand a company fighting for a fair environment. lobbying for mutual positive good, but that is not what happens. it is based on greed, and from the same corporate machines who already hold 99% of the wealth in the world.

like the wolf who cried sheep ;)

backwards, intel

How ? They still think that DRM is not an issue for them to place on there hardware and this may even make it faster than Intel . ;)

Legally i wont be able to watch HD films, meaning ALL future AMD owners will become/be considered pirates to put it crudely

Legally i wont be able to watch HD films, meaning ALL future AMD owners will become pirates to put it crudely

that escaped me, good point.

though as of now that is not the case, i am sure that would be their plan if amd doesn't follow suit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.