• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Uruguay is First Country to Get New Model XO Laptop

On the opening day of the 2012 Annual Meeting of the Inter-American Development Bank, One Laptop per Child (OLPC), a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide every child in the world access to new channels of learning, sharing and self-expression, announced that Uruguay will be the first country in the world to receive the newest model XO children's laptop.

Uruguay began working with OLPC in 2007 and by mid-2010 achieved complete laptop saturation, providing XO's to all 570,000 primary school children in the country. The project recently ordered 60,000 XO 1.75's in order to take advantage of the many breakthrough hardware and software features in the new model.

"We are deeply committed to making One Laptop a Child a reality for all our children because we believe that digital fluency is essential to a 21st century education," said Miguel Brechner, Director of the Technological Laboratory of Uruguay and in charge of Plan Ceibal. "The XO laptop empowers children by allowing them to explore the world, be creative, learn by doing and collaborate and share with their classmates and communities."

During its 2012 Annual Meeting in Montevideo, representatives from the Inter-American Development Bank will visit several schools to see how children and teachers are integrating XO laptops into their classrooms.

The XO 1.75 provides significant advances in technology that reduce power consumption and make the laptop more rugged for children's use. This is the first laptop from OLPC to incorporate an ARM-based processor from Marvell, a leading global semiconductor company that has collaborated closely with One Laptop per Child on technology development. The Marvell Armada 610 processor in the XO 1.75 uses very low power, 4 watts when in use and 200 milliwatts when idle, which is a quarter of the power consumption of other processors on the market. Power consumption is a major challenge for laptop deployments in remote and rural regions where electricity is scarce or non-existent.

The XO 1.75 will also feature a new operating system release with the newest version of the Sugar learning environment. Developed under OLPC's leadership with contributions from the Sugar development community, the new version of Sugar includes significant improvements in usability, performance and easier self-discovery of how Sugar works.

"We salute Plan Ceibal for its leadership in providing all Uruguayan children access to a modern education," said Rodrigo Arboleda, Chairman and CEO of the One Laptop per Child Association. "Uruguay is a great example of a well-planned, well-executed deployment that is having a positive impact on children's educational development."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I've been to Uruguay.......a laptop is the least of thier problems. But good to see something going thier way.

moonlord

System Name M2
Processor AMD FX-8150
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Cooling AMD FX Water Cooler
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4 Gb @ 1866 Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor AX6950 2Gb
Storage 1x120 gb OCZ Vertex 3 1x1Tb Hitachi Deskstar
Display(s) Asus VE248H 24"
Case Corsair Carbide 500R
Power Supply OCZ Modxstream 700W
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
A Nintendo 3DS with keyboard and OS, nice.

NHKS

hope they accomplish what they set out to do.. besides this ensuring that the basic needs, health & infrastructure for children in rural areas is also important

moonlord

System Name M2
Processor AMD FX-8150
hope they accomplish what they set out to do.. besides this ensuring that the basic needs, health & infrastructure for children in rural areas is also important
Maybe buying this crap is cheaper

moonlord

System Name M2
Processor AMD FX-8150
System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage SSD: Team 512GB NVMe + Team 2TB SATA || HDD: 2x WD VRaptor 500GB & 2x WD Blue 4TB
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
the Marvell Armada 610 is an ARM based processor, and thats what Im asking

marvel sheeva core with ARM v7 instruction set

http://www.marvell.com/technologies...tion_processor_mobile_connected/release/1361/
The ARMADA 610 is based on a Marvell-designed ARM v7 compatible CPU offering best-in-class performance. It offers the flexibility to use any standard memory (LP-DDR and DDR) based on customers’ cost and power considerations, a highly flexible display controller capable of four simultaneous displays at 2K x 2K resolution (greater than WUXGA) and a highly robust security subsystem that includes a secure execution processor. In addition, it features a powerful 3D engine that renders full 2D/3D graphics with a complete floating point pipeline and unified vertex and fragment/pixel shading, generating contrast-rich video with high-definition resolution and color.

Last edited:
System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
A Nintendo 3DS with keyboard and OS, nice.

Basically. But hey, it has "ears" :laugh:

Change children for everyone and rural for urban.

I think One Meal a Child would be more appropriate

That's not the problem. The problem here is getting the teachers to actually teach and prevent the roofs from the schools from falling on the students.

Looks like a toy.

It's for children, so... Why it shouldn't? :rolleyes:

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
I've been to Uruguay.......a laptop is the least of thier problems. But good to see something going thier way.

I'm Uruguayan living in Uruguay and while there always been computers at most state-schools, the plan is to go further and giving one laptop per child so they can go home and do their homework there, also communicate with their pals.

I had a laptop and my parents own a laptop each, while we are pretty poor as a family, laptop is a tool for work more than a fashion/entertainment element. My only concern and I hate to say it, laptops in this place are way more expensive than in USA. Say I wanna buy a laptop I've seen in newegg. Add to the cost like (60% + 22%) of taxes + shipping.

I think One Meal a Child would be more appropriate

They already receive a meal at school. While I agree there could be an improvement for the kids living at the street... still there was an improvement over the years, poverty and infant mortality lowered dramatically over the past 25 years or so.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
I'm Uruguayan living in Uruguay and while there always been computers at most state-schools, the plan is to go further and giving one laptop per child so they can go home and do their homework there, also communicate with their pals.

I had a laptop and my parents own a laptop each, while we are pretty poor as a family, laptop is a tool for work more than a fashion/entertainment element. My only concern and I hate to say it, laptops in this place are way more expensive than in USA. Say I wanna buy a laptop I've seen in newegg. Add to the cost like (60% + 22%) of taxes + shipping.

They already receive a meal at school. While I agree there could be an improvement for the kids living at the street... still there was an improvement over the years, poverty and infant mortality lowered dramatically over the past 25 years or so.

I was right outside of Montevideo back in 2002 I think. Don't think those kids needed laptops man. The only thing I saw worse then that was in Pakistan.

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
I was right outside of Montevideo back in 2002 I think. Don't think those kids needed laptops man. The only thing I saw worse then that was in Pakistan.

Well in 2002 the worst economical crisis in our history affected us badly.
In my personal case, we lost our home, I had no job, my dad was fired, my mother emigrated to spain, latter on my brother did the same, and I barely knew what to do. I had to quit private university, leaving my career behind and I moved to free-of-charge state-university that was overpopulated. they weren't enough classrooms, and I had some exams were they assigned a sit in the stairs of the building !

Those were though times... today Uruguay is mostly recovered. Of course there's a long way to go, but that's how we think things should be done. Those kids have a meal in their school and now can have a laptop. I wish I had one in my times! but of course in those times laptops weren't popular thing, in my teen times the first time I saw a laptop I think it was an IBM thinkpad, with black and white screen, that cost over 3000 usd

Of course, we are talking these laptops are focused to schools with 8~12 year old kids, we are not talking about high-school here.

And of course... this would have never been reality if those lappys weren't so affordable.

some people is talking about this part of southamerica like we are nude savages running in the streets asking the tourists for candies... yes... we are the so called third world... but the news that the "first world" gets from this part of the world is always the bad news... the region is growing, and fast; NorthAmerica and Europe are in crisis, every american citizen has a burden of 50.000 dollars, but the US have the advantage of having a good GDP and that his debt is in his own currency, so they simply can keep printing dollars (until someday the whole system will crash).

back to the post... we dont need this OLPCs, we need better teachers and better education, but most governments take advantage of the uneducated working class... "hey kid take this computer and take this unemployment benefit for your fathers and tell them to vote for us..." so the circle never ends, because almost always the computers dont reach the kids that really need them.

Im not talking about mujica, because he is waaay better than previous presidents, but here in southamerica this is the neverending story... but I still have hope.

sorry for my poor english and the long post

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Well in 2002 the worst economical crisis in our history affected us badly.
In my personal case, we lost our home, I had no job, my dad was fired, my mother emigrated to spain, latter on my brother did the same, and I barely knew what to do. I had to quit private university, leaving my career behind and I moved to free-of-charge state-university that was overpopulated. they weren't enough classrooms, and I had some exams were they assigned a sit in the stairs of the building !

Those were though times... today Uruguay is mostly recovered. Of course there's a long way to go, but that's how we think things should be done. Those kids have a meal in their school and now can have a laptop. I wish I had one in my times! but of course in those times laptops weren't popular thing, in my teen times the first time I saw a laptop I think it was an IBM thinkpad, with black and white screen, that cost over 3000 usd

Of course, we are talking these laptops are focused to schools with 8~12 year old kids, we are not talking about high-school here.

And of course... this would have never been reality if those lappys weren't so affordable.

Well Im glad to hear it man. Things were bad when I was down there. The slums right out of Montevideo looked like hell. One thing I couldnt never figure out is why people stayed there. So much nice land and yet they were ALL right there. Never made any sense. Anyway good to hear things are better.

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
back to the post... we dont need this OLPCs, we need better teachers and better education, but most governments take advantage of the uneducated working class... "hey kid take this computer and take this unemployment benefit for your fathers and tell them to vote for us..." so the circle never ends, because almost always the computers dont reach the kids that really need them.

Im not talking about mujica, because he is waaay better than previous presidents, but here in southamerica this is the neverending story... but I still have hope.

sorry for my poor english and the long post

While I agree we need a better education system overall, the OLPCs is part of another plan. I mean, getting better teachers and better education is going to cost way lot more than the OLPCs. I also hope someday we reach the goals.

I disagree about mujica being better than previous presidents. He is a good man, but a good president? I don't think so. But also I don't blame mujica alone.

Well Im glad to hear it man. Things were bad when I was down there. The slums right out of Montevideo looked like hell. One thing I couldnt never figure out is why people stayed there. So much nice land and yet they were ALL right there. Never made any sense. Anyway good to hear things are better.

While I'm not a fan of Montevideo nor its surroundings (Today, I have to say I hate Montevideo, I live in Canelones) I would recommend several other MUCH BETTER places in your next trip to Uruguay :) Also, avoid midtown. I don't understand WHY hotels like the Victoria Plaza are in the worst part of Montevideo which is midtown. for christ sake.