• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nintendo WiiU Hardware Less Powerful Than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3: Developers

PS
Seriously who the fuck buys a console anyway when he/she is that obsessed with good graphics? :confused:

I do! Gamecube had awesome graphics at the time as well as great game play (Rogue Squadron 2 looked stellar at the time and was fun). People accepted the step back in graphics since it featured new game play mechanics (and gimmicks). Hardware wise, Wii is not even 2x what a gamecube is but it is still better than PS2/XBOX.

We all know gameplay matters more, but that is no reason to cheap out so severly on graphics. An HD 4850 in large quantities would be very inexpensive. If it is truly less than current gen, that is unacceptable! I doubt big name developers will even waste there time developing for such a neutered system. Zelda, Mario, and shovelware : Here we come!!

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I do! Gamecube had awesome graphics at the time as well as great game play (Rogue Squadron 2 looked stellar at the time and was fun). People accepted the step back in graphics since it featured new game play mechanics (and gimmicks). Hardware wise, Wii is not even 2x what a gamecube is but it is still better than PS2/XBOX.

We all know gameplay matters more, but that is no reason to cheap out so severly on graphics. An HD 4850 in large quantities would be very inexpensive. If it is truly less than current gen, that is unacceptable! I doubt big name developers will even waste there time developing for such a neutered system. Zelda, Mario, and shovelware : Here we come!!

all ive seen come out of nintendo lately is shovelware bar zelda:p

and its beyond me why anyone uses such tat, my reason for this is that i have a job.
and because i have a job i game so little that anything i do play not only has to be fun but it also has to have some wow in it .

i dont doubt there Is entertainment to be had in a wii or wiiuu ,im just not buying into that baby and fitness nonesense , im thirty godam six in two days and nintendo stopped catering to my gameing needs with the snes, not because their consoles thereafter were shit gfx melons ,which they were, but because other game experiences were BETTER psone ps2 pc pc pc ,pc pc etc etc:p

IN ALL NINTENDO IS ERELIVANT TO TPU imho , bet i spelled that wrong too

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
You failed to notice- GC was catered at kids but did have some pretty good games- Graphically might of been superior to PS2 and XB at the time. now they have went backwards with the Wii. Wii Had some good titles but was ignored by core gamers because its focus is totally missing the core gamer demographic now. Nintendo will fall flat on its face considering both Sony and MS have the motion control gimmicks that Wii has but they are still superior in visuals. 3DS was the main machine with many titles but things seemed to have slowed down.

People seriously need to get their brain checked.
Good games are the games that have great gameplay not games that just look good.

Nintendo games have always looked fine (nothing wrong with how Mario Kart, Galaxy etc looked not to mention Metroid Prime was amazing looking on the cube) but the thing that makes these games so great is the gameplay.

Gameplay will always go MILES before graphics, hell just look at WoW, Minecraft or CoD.

Even if the WiiU will not be as good (or bad depending on how you look at it) as the PS3 or 360 it does not matter, as long as most 3rd party titles (Darksiders 2 has already been announced) make it to the WiiU then they did for the Wii then Nintendo is in good water and will have a killer console.

PS
Seriously who the fuck buys a console anyway when he/she is that obsessed with good graphics? :confused:

The rumour mill is churning and at an educated guess one could say this is because E3 is soon. Give me concrete sources.

System Name "Da Krawnik Six Hunnit"
Processor Intel i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 EVO (B3)
Cooling H100i w/2x Bitfenix Spectre Pros + Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 1x 200mm + 1x 120mm
Memory Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 @ 1491MHz (Actual Boost) / 7.6GHz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 2x WD Green 2TB + 1x WD Green 1TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430T 144Hz
Case Corsair 600T w/full custom 1/2" acrylic side panel
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD (laser)
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Couldn't care less about benchmark scores.
Nintendo's focus has never been about graphics... ever. Next...

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Nintendo's focus has never been about graphics... ever. Next...

Super Nintendo and N64 say hi. Gamecube was stronger than PS2 and quite comparable to Xbox with devs that knew how to use it. It was with Wii that graphics took the back seat.

HillBeast

System Name Kuja
Processor Intel Core i7 930
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H50 HB.o Special Edition with Koolance CHC-122 NB Block
Memory OCZ Extreme Edition 4GB Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X Rev. 2
Storage 2x 1TB WD Green in RAID
Display(s) BenQ V2400W
Case Lian Li PC-A17 HB.o Special Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 889A
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores 93632 sysPoints in sysTest '09 47 FPS in Star Tales Benchmark
Graphically might of been superior to PS2 and XB at the time.

Gamecube was in no way superior to the Xbox. The Xbox was a monster of a console. The GeForce 3 in it DESTROYS the crappy ATI chip in the Gamecube, and the Xbox has a more powerful CPU, and more RAM to play with.

Gamecube was a terrible console, just like an Nintendo console after the SNES. The N64 was garbage. An absolute piece of junk. How could something that has specs that much higher than the Playstation produce graphics that bad.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
in terms of power the xbox had more but gamecube sometimes had better visuals somehow, it happened with ps2 sometimes also, it depends on whos developing the game really.

in terms of gameplay, I personally say the gamecube was a failure and a success because nintendo hyped them to hell and tons of people bought them and never played them much, same for the wii, played xenoblade on mine then got rid of it after it sat in my attic for years before that games release, maybe i'm just too old for wii games now(childrens games) but the N64 was a little different, I think the N64 is where they made that move to the kiddy games but it did have its moments.

Last edited:
Gamecube was in no way superior to the Xbox. The Xbox was a monster of a console. The GeForce 3 in it DESTROYS the crappy ATI chip in the Gamecube, and the Xbox has a more powerful CPU, and more RAM to play with.

Gamecube was a terrible console, just like an Nintendo console after the SNES. The N64 was garbage. An absolute piece of junk. How could something that has specs that much higher than the Playstation produce graphics that bad.

Destroys it??
I loved my GCN, and thought the graphics were very comparable to XBOX. The XBOX boys always bragged about HALO, but I thought that Rogue squadron and Metroid games put them to shame. (also RESIDENT EVIL 4, possibly the best looking title in that entire gen). THe GPU in GCN is very similiar to what is in Wii. Wii is still more powerful then XBOX, so not sure what you are smoking with the crappy visuals claim.

Just tired of hearing the hunkey-dorey "gameplay matters not graphics argument" You can have both and still have a low price console! Gust look how cheap GCN was when released!

Last edited:
System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Nintendo consoles since gamecube have left the same game feeling to me as my daughters Leap Frog gaming systems.

She now plays Battlefield 3 with me:D

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Destroys it??
I loved my GCN, and thought the graphics were very comparable to XBOX. The XBOX boys always bragged about HALO, but I thought that Rogue squadron and Metroid games put them to shame. (also RESIDENT EVIL 4, possibly the best looking title in that entire gen). THe GPU in GCN is very similiar to what is in Wii. Wii is still more powerful then XBOX, so not sure what you are smoking with the crappy visuals claim.

Just tired of hearing the hunkey-dorey "gameplay matters not graphics argument" You can have both and still have a low price console! Gust look how cheap GCN was when released!

I will agree that Metroid Prime on the GC were some of the most impressive games of their time, but Halo was no push over. The GC had a lot of excellent good looking games, but the Xbox edged it out in my mind. Games like KotoR, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and even Halo 1/2 were definitely impressive for their time. The Xbox was also pretty late to the game so Developers didn't really have time to push it as hard as they could have.

Dang forgot about KOTOR - loved that game! Rainbow 6 looked great. In any case, it still solid that Wii has more power than Xbox and Wii was only a modified GCN chip. So basically:
GCN < XBOX << Wii <<<<<< 360 Next gen will be: Wii <<<<< WiiU < 360 <<<<<< Durango