• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate HD infamous "Chiriping" figured out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Ether...probably eating cheetos atm.
System Name Surprising Mini Duece
Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Motherboard ASUS P7H55M-LE
Cooling Cooler Master Vortex
Memory 8GB Patriot Signature Series 1.5v DDR3 1333Mhz w/ spreaders.
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Storage Segate Sata II 64mb cache 1TB single platter.. fast but chirpy lol
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Case Aerocool QX-2000 .. my latest project
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD
Power Supply Seasonic x650 Gold! Primo 105Celisius Jap cap wonder.
Software Whatever I can pirate ;) lol jk .. Windows 7 legit license
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car
Well I stumbled on a cause for the Infamous Seagate "Chirping" on the new Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB/1 Platter Hard-drives. I have had 4 drives do this and It appears,that on my system, the whole thing is attributed to the combonation of an HP DVD SATA I drive using a SATA II cable on the same SATA II mobo as the SATA III Seagate drive lol. I happened on this by accident while removing the DVD to quickly install a backup drive to transfer files from to the Seagate. Prior to removing the HP DVD, the Seagate drive was chirping and I had just bought it an hour earlier from a store front. When I removed the HP DVD and put a backup Hitatchi HD in with the Seagate the chirping stopped. I have not heard it for a solid 4-5 hours and the chirp was happening about every 3-5 minutes.

Now in defense, both drives work fine when only one or the other is present but together the "chirping" appears and it is coming from the Seagate drive. It kind of makes sense. I spent 30min on the phone with Seagate tech support prior to stumbling on this cause and the only explination they could provide was the chirping was "power related" but I tried the drive on 2 different powersupplies. I'm lucky I stumbled on the cause. I haven't tried a fix yet but I'll try putting the HP DVD on a seperate power lead, replacing the sataII cable with a sata I and if need be just upgrading to a sataIII or sata II DVD. Was planing on getting IB sata III mobo but waiting till Haswell.

Spread this around if possible. :toast::rockout:
but now the dang drive is clicking.. honestly this is my 4th seagate drive since Jan. and they are CRAP.

UPDATE: 40minutes later....
Well I replaced the SATA II cable on the SATA I HP DVD with a SATA I cable and YEP that did it! Confirmed. Having the matching SATAI cable has eliminated the chirping (and faint clicking has dissapeared aswell) on the Seagate sata III HD for over 40min..
Wow this one was a WIERD one. Technically, I didn't do anything wrong because the SATAI DVD had worked with that Sata II cable and another SATAII HD for years with no problems. Again, by themselves, each drive worked fine; but, when I added the SATAIII Seagate ST1000DM003 HD in with the HP DVD SataI on a SATA II cable the chirp happened. I don't think Seagate is aware of the cause because 30min with 2 techs today came up with no answer.
All in all this is a good "better safe than sorry" lesson for making sure your cables match exactly with the devices standard even if a newer standard is backwards compatible.

Peace.

Last edited:
System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
so much for backwards compatible. that's an interesting situation and i'm glad you found a fix for it.

Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car
so much for backwards compatible. that's an interesting situation and i'm glad you found a fix for it.

Fudge... just heard one single chirp.. dangit first one in over 6 hours... ok i'll replace the old sata I drive tomorrow with a sata II to be safe... thanks for post :)

night

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
haha, could be the SATA-I cable coming loose, they had a bad habit of doing that... once the connection starts to get loose all sorts of crazy things happen.

haha, could be the SATA-I cable coming loose, they had a bad habit of doing that... once the connection starts to get loose all sorts of crazy things happen.

lol true, i didn't use the locking sata tab cables... but honestly this is a good excuse for a new blue ray drive :) lol

I never did like this HP DVD it was noisy. I do still think I'm on to something cause the 4-5 hours on with the DVD removed and jsut the two HDs was the quitest 4-5 hours yet :) .. heading to Zzzzzzzzz land.
Peace.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
ACHI Mode ? head parking disabled ?

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
so you bought 4 seagate drives despite them being crappy... not sure if trolling..

ACHI Mode ? head parking disabled ?

Excellent point Moar, My good friend (also a tech) just mentioned the same thing. I am running in ACHI mode and apparently since my board is only SATA II and I have no SSD, AHCI could is not necessary and could be causing SATA power-related problems... I think you both may have something there. As of right now I put a different SATA I cable with locking tabs on and have not heard a chirp for @ 1hour. Which is incredible compared to how it was at first. IF it chirps again I will

so you bought 4 Seagate drives despite them being crappy... not sure if trolling..

LOL .. No not exactly... I'll help you catch on lol. I bought 2 in total and each got RMA'd once so 2+2 RMA = 4. However, I bought one in Jan as soon as they came out to Newegg. That chirped and clicked it got RMA'd Week later got a second one came and on first boot sounded like someone packed rocks and screws in it and they all bounced around on first boot. I mean literally sounded like metal confetti being shot around in the HD case. The drive continued to click... I got my money back and gave up

Until last week, the Seagate 1TB drives went on sale for $79.00 at a local store just down the road and I heard the new firmware update fixed a bunch and I still really needed bigger drive; because, at the time, I was on a 5 year old 160GB Hitachi built like a tank. So, I bought my "officially" second Seagate drive in @3 months and it chirped. I called Seagate, they had no idea said return to store. The store I bought it from tried to pull crap on me and would only let me exchange so I got my 2nd RMA 4th drive total... understand ? up to speed now Troll killer ? But thank for assuming we're all stupid and trolling because WOW has warped your mind. LOL Or, Perhaps you've never had to RMA... that's a good thing. lol
:pimp::rockout::nutkick:

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Excellent point Moar, My good friend (also a tech) just mentioned the same thing. I am runing in ACHI mode and apparently since my board is only SATA II and I have no SSD, AHCI could is not necessary and could be causing SATA power-related problems... I think you both may have something there. As of right now I put a different SATA I cable with locking tabs on and have not heard a chirp for @ 1hour. Which is incredible comparied to how it was at first. IF it chirps again I will

LOL .. No not exactly... I'll help you catch on lol. I bought 2 in total and each got RMA'd once so 2+2 RMA = 4. However, I bought one in Jan as soon as they came out to Newegg. That chirped and clicked it got RMA'd Week later got a second one came and on first boot sounded like someone packed rocks and screws in it and they all bounced around on first boot. I mean litterally sounded like metal confiety being shot aroudn in the HD case. The drive continued to click... I got my money back and gave up

Until last week, the Seagate 1TB drives went on sale for $79.00 at a local store just down the road and I heard the new firmware update fixed a bunch and I still really needed bigger drive; because, at the time, I was on a 5 yearold 160GB hitachi built like a tank. So, I bought my "offically" second Seagate drive in @3 months and it chirped. I called Seagate, they had no idea said return to store. The store I bought it from tried to pull crap on me and would only let me exchange so I got my 2nd RMA 4th drive total... understand ? up to speed now Troll killer ? But thank for assuming we're all stupid and trolling because WOW has warped your mind. LOL Or, Perhaps you've never had to RMA... that's a good thing. lol
:pimp::rockout::nutkick:
try disabling AAM/AAPM http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/manual-en/
the chip sound you are hearing is "normal" (it CAN cause excessive wear and tear ) is the drive spining down and the heads parking (hopefully lol )
disable HDD Power down in the windows power options and disable AAM/AAPM and see if that corrects it

try disabling AAM/AAPM http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/manual-en/
the chip sound you are hearing is "normal" is the drive spining down and the heads parking
disable HDD Power down in the windows power options and disable AAM/AAPM and see if that corrects it

hmmm spining down ? not doubting you but most the time I hear it after I keep my hands off the keyboard and mouse for 5-10 min then pick up the mouse and single click on something... in essence seems like it happens after short periods of inactivity. Yes the suspend, hibernation and drive turning off have been turned to "never"

I'll give it a try though :) thank you.
:toast:

PS on the plus side I'm getting transfer rates of 93.2MB/sec min, 192.6MB/sec Max, and 152.9MB/sec average with 14.6ms ATime and 127Burst... very nice :) :rockout:

Attachments

• Drive test.png
    Drive test.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
hmmm spining down ? not doubting you but most the time I hear it after I keep my hands off the keyboard and mouse for 5-10 min then pick up the mouse and single click on something... in essence seems like it happens after short periods of inactivity. Yes the suspend, hibernation and drive turning off have been turned to "never"

I'll give it a try though :) thank you.

this is probly a worthless question but are you running a intel motherboard with a early version of the H67/P67 chipset ?
early versions of that chipset had a flaw that caused them to fail early

this is probly a worthless question but are you running a intel motherboard with a early version of the H67/P67 chipset ?
early versions of that chipset had a flaw that caused them to fail early

Close, even earlier, P7H55... was a free Asus P7H55M-LE with i3-550 purchase. I got it sitting in a Aerocool QX-2000 atm waiting to morph into a very near future HTPC. Plus, At 3.2Ghz per core the little i3-550 actually is a sweet little dual chip mini gamer.
Why, what's word on the H55 ? Any major flaws ?

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Close, even earlier, P7H55... was a free Asus P7H55M-LE with i3-550 purchase. I got it sitting in a Aerocool QX-2000 atm waiting to morph into a very near future HTPC. Plus, At 3.2Ghz per core the little i3-550 actually is a sweet little dual chip mini gamer.
Why what's word on the H55 ? Any major flaws ?

not affected nm then

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
if you could make a recording lol ... hard to tell what it is because I can't hear it

not affected nm then

kk, thanks for the geniune help/interest in helping me :) .. so far it's quite as a mouse... I think taking the SATA I drive off the SATA II cable and putting it on a SATAI cable has done the trick. hopefully. If not I'll try the link fix you sent and hacking reg to enhance IDE mode and chaning in bios...

if you could make a recording lol ... hard to tell what it is because I can't hear it

The sound is kinda like a cross between a fish smacking the top of the water with their lips and a bad UPS doing a single chirp becaus battery is low.. lol that's actually incredibly accurate

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
never use IDEMODE its bad ... and its slow ...... very slow ... on modern drives it has a impact of 20% or more over AHCI

never use IDEMODE its bad ... and its slow ...... very slow ... on modern drives it has a impact of 20% or more over AHCI

check new post edit above :)

it litterally sounds like posted above and really like a "chirp" wierdest thing i've ever heard and never heard before this all started.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
its "normal" for them to chip once or thrice on boot up or coming out of standby
but if it starts doing it constantly when ever there is disk stress get your data the hell outta dodge

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
lol yeah I don't even have to click that link I'm almost positive you're referring to the "click of death"lol. I work in IT desktop hardware support so I know that sound all to well.

in segates case its a choir of birds

its "normal" for them to chip once or thrice on boot up or coming out of standby

that's it that's it exactly.. normal ? my 5 year old hitachi never does .. and this is the first i've heard it.. if it's normal for seagates then coupled with my SATA I DVD findings I think it's a bad oversite in drive. It may be normal for Seagates but not normal for HDs in general imo. I think it's some problem combo with the sata controller, the SATA I drive on Sata II cable and the SATA 3 seagate... sounds like a stretch but it's 100% recreatable on my system every time
and after cable change no noise.. if no noise now then i know it's not "normal" for it.

Lol yeah choir of birds exactly :) lol

sorry multi editing to avoid admin smack for double posting

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
that's it that's it exactly.. normal ? my 5 year old hitachi never does .. and this is the first i've heard it.. if it's normal for seagates then coupled with my SATA I DVD findings I think it's a bad oversite in drive. It may be normal for Seagates but not normal for HDs in general imo.

my segate always "talked" to me when booting sounded like a old IDE drive doing a head check if you have ever heard a old early 90's pc boot you know the sound

my segate always "talked" to me when booting sounded like a old IDE drive doing a head check if you have ever heard a old early 90's pc boot you know the sound

lol .. well glad to know but that sucks .. did you have a combination of SATA I and other SATA drives on the same board?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
it was SATA II/IDE
really tho the sata mode should have ZERO effect on the drive's mechanics its a electrical mode handled by the chip-set/drive controller

Status
Not open for further replies.