• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Unveils GeForce Experience

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
People should take the time to learn their system's

People do that with everything they own, cars, musical instruments, etc. Most of the time people are just uninterested in tinkering, prefering for it to "work out of the box".

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
People do that with everything they own, cars, musical instruments, etc. Most of the time people are just uninterested in tinkering, prefering for it to "work out of the box".

The %age of people who "tweak" their hardware (whatever it may be) is very slim compared to the rest of the market and part of the reason why is because of instances just like this. People are either content with the performance or can't be arsed to inform themselves and make the change's on their own.

This is just my opinion of course and another detractor/factor for me to stay away from Nvidia. Hopefully ATi does NOT implement a similar system in the future otherwise we'll all be playing Xbox/PS3 style :cry:

I don't take survey's and i don't submit info. We pay them good $$$ to develop hardware & software, they should earn it :eek:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This is far too basic to ever take off.

Let me know when it will automatically download and install the perfect driver for each app prior to it loading the app when you start it, and then it'll be useful.

Talk about aiming low....:wtf:

System Name "Da Krawnik Six Hunnit"
Processor Intel i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 EVO (B3)
Cooling H100i w/2x Bitfenix Spectre Pros + Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 1x 200mm + 1x 120mm
Memory Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 @ 1491MHz (Actual Boost) / 7.6GHz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 2x WD Green 2TB + 1x WD Green 1TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430T 144Hz
Case Corsair 600T w/full custom 1/2" acrylic side panel
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD (laser)
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Couldn't care less about benchmark scores.
I'm sorry but I think this is cool as hell. If it doesn't do more harm than good that is.

System Name "Da Krawnik Six Hunnit"
Processor Intel i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 EVO (B3)
Cooling H100i w/2x Bitfenix Spectre Pros + Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 1x 200mm + 1x 120mm
Memory Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 @ 1491MHz (Actual Boost) / 7.6GHz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 2x WD Green 2TB + 1x WD Green 1TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430T 144Hz
Case Corsair 600T w/full custom 1/2" acrylic side panel
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD (laser)
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Couldn't care less about benchmark scores.
This is far too basic to ever take off.

Let me know when it will automatically download and install the perfect driver for each app prior to it loading the app when you start it, and then it'll be useful.

Talk about aiming low....:wtf:

Who knows, this could be the start of that. nVIDIA is technically a software company, so this could be good.

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
The %age of people who "tweak" their hardware (whatever it may be) is very slim compared to the rest of the market and part of the reason why is because of instances just like this. People are either content with the performance or can't be arsed to inform themselves and make the change's on their own.

This is just my opinion of course and another detractor/factor for me to stay away from Nvidia. Hopefully ATi does NOT implement a similar system in the future otherwise we'll all be playing Xbox/PS3 style :cry:

I don't take survey's and i don't submit info. We pay them good $$$ to develop hardware & software, they should earn it :eek:

Of course they will still allow full control, its just for people too lazy or can't be arsed to tinker who will make good use out of this. Also, I think this is going to be an automatic process, where you will be asked if you want to help your fellow gamers by submitting the settings you use. You say that they are getting good money to develop software and hardware, I agree with this, but there is a bewildering amount of different hardware combination that its impossible for them to optimise for each system, and they can only provide a crude recommendations. This is where this system comes in to play.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Who knows, this could be the start of that. nVIDIA is technically a software company, so this could be good.

I doubt it. I told them to do that like over 5 years ago, and now we get this.:laugh: I told them straight out...put the driver right in the game, quit screwing around. All I got was puzzled looks.:roll:

Like I said, aiming low. Great ideas, of course, but poor execution. ;)

And it's not "technically"...they ARE "a software company, who also sells hardware". Direct quote.

Benetanegia

This is just my opinion of course and another detractor/factor for me to stay away from Nvidia.

Ding ding. That is the reason you don't like this, liking it was not ever an option for you. You didn't even tried to understand it. It's not something they are forcing on you. You can just use it or not. Do you stay away from games who have a "load default settings" button? This is nothing different except that instead of going to some arbitrary default settings, it goes to the settings that have been statistically "proven" best for your setup. I've never used default settings, never even hit the low/medium/high overall presets that many games have on top, and always went directly to the features list, so will I use this? No. Is it good, yes, for everyone except enthusiasts.

- It's good for users, because they will get a better experience than what default offers just by pressing a button.

- It is A LOT better for developers, because they will be able to use higher settings and features: those with lower end cards will play on low (unlike today), no need to tweak the default/medium settings so that it runs well on most PCs, aka low end cards. Also new features would make more sense, since they will be used more often by gamers. I didn't know it, but now I know why developers are so reluctant to including new features: maybe even 80% of people who could have used them, don't, even if their hardware could, because they just use the default settings. What's the point of including a feature 80% of people won't use because it can not be the default option?

- Better for PC industry because PC gaming being simpler might attract those who now go with consoles because they perceive it as the easy option.

Hopefully ATi does NOT implement a similar system in the future otherwise we'll all be playing Xbox/PS3 style :cry:

If anything this will make developers more inclined to offer new features, because they will actually be used by most and because no matter what amount of settings the game has, it's not going to overwhelm anyone. Only those who want would need to tweak dozens of different settings. Maybe a lot of developers use very few graphic setting options so as to not overwhelm the mainstream audience, since you can usually still tweak every single feature through the config file.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I guess I'm that "80%" because I never mess with control panel adjustments. I just play with in-game settings and see what the best FPS I get is and run with that. Also me just messing with in-game settings give my FAR better graphics then consoles. I honestly never have had to mess with the control panel.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
I guess I'm that "80%" because I never mess with control panel adjustments. I just play with in-game settings and see what the best FPS I get is and run with that. Also me just messing with in-game settings give my FAR better graphics then consoles. I honestly never have had to mess with the control panel.

I think it means 80% of the people doesn't even adjust the game settings in game. You are the 20%, because you actually adjust anything at all

Benetanegia

I think it means 80% of the people doesn't even adjust the game settings in game. You are the 20%, because you actually adjust anything at all

^This. From what I've read everywhere, it will tweak in-game options (and probably CP options too of course). So yeah, you are actually part of the 20%.

if you follow the link to the source, it says:

One of PC gaming’s strengths is the ability to configure graphics in-game, letting players with very different hardware and software setups enjoy the same title. The flip side is a bewildering array of graphics sliders with names like "radial blur quality" and "distant object detail" that users need to tweak in order to [...]

@Cadaveca

Also in the source:

With a piece of GeForce Experience software on their PCs, players will be able to simply click a button in order to download the optimal settings, along with the newest drivers.

Isn't that close enough to what you want?

IMO that's better than what you suggest tbh. Come on, isn't it annoying when you just want to play a certain game a few minutes, but Steam wants to patch it? it would be the same and most people would just disable that option by default (which is what I do with nearly ever SP game I own).

Last edited:

pjladyfox

System Name Eternal
Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H50 water cooling system
Memory 8GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 5870
Storage Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA2, 7200.11 750GB SATA2, and 7200.10 500GB SATA2
Display(s) SAMSUNG 245BW 24" LCD
Case Antec Three Hundred - custom mnpctech.com
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Home 64-bit Retail
1. As a Software Developer, it is hard :)

2. Nvidia won't be able to do it because they don't know how each developer has designed their games (as in which files and how to benchmark).

3. Games developers won't do it because it would be a waste of their time and money and if each game has its own benchmark tool, it will be redundant; think of HD space waste.

+1 for truth on this.

The fustrating part about all of this is that, with QA for the most part being outsourced, trying to find ANY external testing company who REALLY knows their stuff regarding gaming and PC hardware compatibility is incredibly difficult. Most will fall into one of two camps:

- Unit testing: Where a "unit", in this case a desktop PC either OEM or hand-built, is used amongst a pool of testers. They then work down a "checklist", most commonly known as a test case, to use during their testing cycle. Typically this the most commonly found kind of hardware compatibility especially in those companies who outsource their QA testing.

- Benchmark testing: This is the lesser known, and based upon my experience dying, example of hardware compatibility testing. This kind of testing is very similar to what hardware reviewers use with a few key differences:

a. It is geared more towards testing the individual hardware components than the overall configuration
b. The tester will have a low (read: min spec), mainstream, and recommended set of configurations. A typical mix of this will have a Intel/NVIDIA "set" of systems and AMD/ATI for the other
c. That, based upon the experience of the tester, will mix and match some configurations to ensure that sticking an NVIDIA video card in an AMD motherboard will not cause a game to choke

The bigger and more well financed QA groups will have an internal team, with a hardware catalog to test with, but sadly this is slowly dying. This is somewhat depressing when I recall having a conversation with a QA outsource vendor the company I was with at the time had a difficult time wrapping their head around identifying performance-related issues and instead just provided "test case results" that centered around the failed "unit" that they were using and left it up to the developer to try and figure out what the issue was. o_O Sadly, the expertise involved with PC hardware testing is not sticking around the industry due to either being laid off in preference to outsource testing (with EA being one of the bigger companies that did away with a good portion of their internal testing teams from what I understand) or the persons with the requesite knowledge not wishing to work the long hours and poor financial benefits to keep the knowledge in the industry.

Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Edit: Most game's i have have an inbuilt "optimizer" anyways, which i never use.

Only enthusiasts play games now?

Yes. Gaming enthusiast's.

Everyone should have minimum computing skill's, it only make's sense in a society that is so technology dependant/based.

Take me for example; when i was young and wanted to play games on a PC i had to know some basic coding (Commodore) otherwise i could NOT play! Now i, and million's of other people, just pop in a disc and it does everything for me/us!

Am i smarter now? NO. I am dumber.

If i got into programming this would be moot but as tech matured the need for me to work with programming was removed and i never pursued it because of the lack of a need for it.

You really have to get over this.

There is nothing to get over! It was an excellent move for both companies, for me AMD = CPU/APU & ATi = GFX plain and simple.

:D

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
Edit: Most game's i have have an inbuilt "optimizer" anyways, which i never use.

the other 80% of the gaming community uses them, so you can see why they are trying to build an adaptive optimiser.

Yes. Gaming enthusiast's.

No, gaming is meant to enjoyed/used by everyone, not just the enthusiasts. Just like driving, you don't need to be a car enthusiast to know and want to drive around.

Everyone should have minimum computing skill's, it only make's sense in a society that is so technology dependant/based.

What is minimum computing skill? The ability to turn on the PC? The ability to use a web browser to look for good stuff? I see minimum skill as the ability to use programs which you desire, but not necessarily know the program in and out, and that excludes the ability to tinker with the settings.

Take me for example; when i was young and wanted to play games on a PC i had to know some basic coding (Commodore) otherwise i could NOT play! Now i, and million's of other people, just pop in a disc and it does everything for me/us!

Am i smarter now? NO. I am dumber.

No, you are not dumber, one of the inconveniences of your life has just been removed. Once upon a time if I want food I have to grow my own food. Now I just pop to the nearest supermarket. Does that make me dumber? Not really, it leaves me to pursue something else, one of the wonders of modern technology. I am free to troll without needing to worry about whether I have food later.

If i got into programming this would be moot but as tech matured the need for me to work with programming was removed and i never pursued it because of the lack of a need for it.

I have friends whose job depends on their ability to code like a boss, and others who doesn't even know how to use a computer properly outside MS Word and the occasional web browsing. Both group leads successful lives, and to me that indicates programming is not something you need to know to live and enjoy your life, just like you don't really need to know how to fly a plane to enjoy air travel, or the need to understand logic systems to be able to enjoy using a microprocessor. You can certainly get more out of it if you pay more attention, but that is not a need.

System Name Corsus 3D
Processor Intel Core I5 2500K
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 780 OC 6GB
Storage 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD boot drive and 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Black for storage
Display(s) Asus VG278H 27" 120Hz 3D LED LCD Monitor with Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Lightboost
Case Corsair 600T with side window and Demciflex custom dust filters
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 64 Bit OEM
Benchmark Scores The score is too big to fit in this box.
I run everything on Ultra with Max AA/AF

The first thing I do when I log into a new PC game is turn all graphics settings as high as possible. I never turn any settings down because I have two GTX 580's in SLI.

pjladyfox

System Name Eternal
Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H50 water cooling system
Memory 8GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 5870
Storage Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA2, 7200.11 750GB SATA2, and 7200.10 500GB SATA2
Display(s) SAMSUNG 245BW 24" LCD
Case Antec Three Hundred - custom mnpctech.com
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Home 64-bit Retail

You and others would be pretty surprised to hear how most of these "optimizers" work. Come to think of it, outside of some of the bigger "blockbuster" titles most of these work something like this:

- Engine programmer asks Compatibility or hardware vendors for list of "hardware identification codes" or in laymans terms the list of video cards that each driver from NVIDIA and ATI ship with.

- Said engine programmer plugs in these codes into the section of the game where the options settings reside; usually in the form of some kind of .INF file

- Once said engine programmer has all of this integrated into the options settings for the game they tie in the default resolution and other settings so that when that video card is identified by the "optimizer" it will populate the settings tagged in the .INF file

Some companies will make some modicum of effort, working with either their internal/external compatibility team or the hardware developers like ATI/NVIDIA, and will use what those groups have found will give what they consider ideal settings for maximum performance and visual quality. The games that you see that ship with some kind of benchmarking tool, like Far Cry or Crysis for example, use what most would consider a fully-functional "optimizer" that uses the in-game benchmarking tool to populate the settings to the .INF file.

Sadly, in most cases the above situations are in the minority, and usually just use the default settings that the game needs to run and leave them alone. The reality is that unless the game is guaranteed to be a AAA title and will sell millions this level of effort will be reserved for those games with all others being left with a feel-good placebo "optimizer" that does nothing. -_-

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I think this is a huge point for console owners. I hate console but I did love, to just drop in a cd and wala.. Good to go..