• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please Reset Your TechPowerUp Forums Password

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
btw b/c of this security breach i'm VERY surprised TPU didn't recommend users change their passwords to other webiste/services that use the same username/password as it will be a matter of time before the attacker(s) get to it.

Afaik they did in the OP , just glad to be back :)

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Afaik they did in the OP , just glad to be back :)

Agreed, and they sent the recommendation to change the password used in other sites in the email as well.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
What do I do if the password reset feature doesn't work? My email said my password would no longer work, but when I visited the site I was still logged in and I can log out and the save password feature allows me to log back in. I also cannot manually reset my password.

gaiden.sensei

Took a few days to get the server to send me the password reset, didn't send until today. I had to change a lot of my passwords because of mutual accounts...

I was under the impression that the user database for vBulletin (3.6 and up) was encrypted by default? I remember examining some of my databases and sensitive details couldn't be seen.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
As a rule I always use different passwords for forums than I do for more protected uses, such as places where I do online purchases and such. Just the same, I'd like to get some help resetting my password here, because I can't seem to get it to work.

The main problem is it's saying I'm entering the wrong current password when trying to reset it, and it won't send me my password or a temporary one.

gaiden.sensei

The main problem is it's saying I'm entering the wrong current password when trying to reset it, and it won't send me my password or a temporary one.
No idea what's wrong with your password, but you can 'reset' it by invoking the forgotten password form.

Make sure your email address is correct or working before attempting the following:
It'll give you a temp password, but you have to wait for the server to email you the generated key.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/login.php?do=lostpw

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I had already done that. I finally got the temp password sent though, and all is good now. Thanks.

I gotta say though, it was a bit scary when right after I posted about it in the feedback forum, what appears to be a SPAM bot answered with jibberish.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Wow I had a hard time resetting the password. Couldnt get the confirmation email, was going round in circles. Anyway all is sorted now.

Wizzard, You can disregard the email I sent, its ok now.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I was under the impression that the user database for vBulletin (3.6 and up) was encrypted by default?

That's correct. However, with distributed passwords cracking, especially on GPUs, there is a real risk that the passwords can be decrypted

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
At least we know they're encrypted to begin with. Probably more secure than Sony was before their PSN fiasco. LOL

N9ZN-Extra

This can be stopped when the industry gets serious.

When the computer manufactrurers get serious they will adopt a standard for login procedures which cannot be compromised by simply hacking a site and stealing information.

Some complain it will be to costly to implement such a solution but I suggest the cost will sharply drop when millions of orders are placed for the equipment required to implement a solution.

The bigger problem for users is how to get those building the computers and those writing the software to REALLY CARE about our security online. If they don't get away from this grade school approach of identity verification all we as users can expect is more of this in the future.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
When the computer manufactrurers get serious they will adopt a standard for login procedures which cannot be compromised by simply hacking a site and stealing information.

Some complain it will be to costly to implement such a solution but I suggest the cost will sharply drop when millions of orders are placed for the equipment required to implement a solution.

The bigger problem for users is how to get those building the computers and those writing the software to REALLY CARE about our security online. If they don't get away from this grade school approach of identity verification all we as users can expect is more of this in the future.

there is no 100% secure authentication system and it can never be created.
maybe the hacker came to my house, held my hamster hostage and forced me to give him the admin password?

N9ZN-Extra

maybe the hacker came to my house, held my hamster hostage and forced me to give him the admin password?

Wizzard I agree there is no 100% foolproof system but there are many much more secure and difficult to break than these obsolete password security methods we just take for granted.

With all of the trouble people around the globe are having with security breaches, some leading to identity theft and other nefarious ends, any simple minded person can recognize the need for the industry to come togather and agree on a simple system which is much more difficult to break than a code word.

If a new system cost us a small (one time) amount to prepare our PC's that would be a reasonable cost, considering we each pay a heafty monthly rate for internet access anyway. The success of such a system would be upon the software houses and PC manufacturers to make it a standard in all new equipment. This also will be the tough part of any plan because most PC makers and software houses don't care diddly about end user security beyond the most simple of implementations.

Edit: As an example, I have not had my E-Bay or PayPal passwords compromised since I began using their electronic key fobs, for that matter my bank has also not been compromised diue to the same security. The problem with key fobs is they are too costly to implement into all online entities requireing secure access. There are other forms of identification which is not as costly and more secure like retna scanners, finger print id's and so on that can be used over a broad range of equipment and still identifies a unique user.

Last edited:

w3b

System Name Black n Blue
Processor Intel Core i7 930 (running at stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory OCZ PC3-12800 Platinum 3 x 2GB - OCZ3P1600VL6GK
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATi Radeon HD5850 Toxic 1GB (765/1125)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ, Data: 2 x Samsung HD203WI
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW+
Case Antec 1200 [original version]
Audio Device(s) Onboard (Realtek ALC889A)
Power Supply Antec CP 850w PSU [Antec Signature in larger box according to JonnyGuru]
Software MS Win7 SP1 x64 OEM [yes it's legit =P ]
Benchmark Scores No world records here, just a new box I bought after sticking with an Intel P4 socket 478 PC (with n
I don't think creating a new password/security system with a central heirarchy is a good idea at all; not only for the weaknesses that are inherited in all centrally focused systems (government/internal abuse, a much more attractive target for hackers that would lead to bigger problems than TPU going down, etc.) but this would also be wide open for abuse under the perpetual 'war on terror' by the US government (and/or those behind the curtain thereof).

I doubt a TPU account would ever be a matter of national security. :p

Fine work to the admin staff catching the problem so quickly:rockout:, hopefully those responsible are found soon and dealt with severely. :shadedshu

N9ZN-Extra

I don't think creating a new password/security system with a central heirarchy is a good idea at all

Fine work to the admin staff catching the problem so quickly:rockout:, hopefully those responsible are found soon and dealt with severely. :shadedshu

I know there will be many like yourself who for a number of reason would object to any new security ID system. It is to be expected, but do you really believe code words (passowrds) are the best method of security man can acheive to protect them?

As for catching the intruders, Tech Power Up has a small chance of finding who is responsible. My guess is these people may be hackers or they may also be a foreign government, like China, with a reputation for hacking sites. The worrysome thing is in the past few months several tech oriented sites have been compromised making myself ask what purpose might these folks have in mind? I would bet the intent goes far beyond any joy they may feel by having hacked the site.

Edit: Looking at your quote from Benjamin Franklin... I also remember it was Franklin who thought the Turkey should be named as our national bird instead of the eagle. Franklins thoughts have many times been on the fringes of rational thinking. This is not to say what Frankilin said about liberty is wrong, but making something more secure would not cost us any liberty at all. It would cost those who abuse liberty some pain but isn't that the intention with any security be it passwords or something else?

Last edited:
System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
I know there will be many like yourself who for a number of reason would object to any new security ID system. It is to be expected, but do you really believe code words (passowrds) are the best method of security man can acheive to protect them?

As for catching the intruders, Tech Power Up has a small chance of finding who is responsible. My guess is these people may be hackers or they may also be a foreign government, like China, with a reputation for hacking sites. The worrysome thing is in the past few months several tech oriented sites have been compromised making myself ask what purpose might these folks have in mind? I would bet the intent goes far beyond any joy they may feel by having hacked the site.

Edit: Looking at your quote from Benjamin Franklin... I also remember it was Franklin who thought the Turkey should be named as our national bird instead of the eagle. Franklins thoughts have many times been on the fringes of rational thinking. This is not to say what Frankilin said about liberty is wrong, but making something more secure would not cost us any liberty at all. It would cost those who abuse liberty some pain but isn't that the intention with any security be it passwords or something else?

1) Passwords may not be the most secure thing in the universe, but if thats what you're after then why are you even on the internet?

2) Lol at china

3) Turkeys are awesome

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Considering that 99.99% of people use "remember me", which means if their PC is hacked their passwords are gone, password security is kinda obsolete already.

Would you want to receive (and pay for) an SMS each time you access TPU? and then you have to enter that code?

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7

They key thing here is to know that w1zz has a hamster. Bless

System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
Hamsters are awesome. It could be a trained hamster that cleans the servers in its spare time

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Considering that 99.99% of people use "remember me", which means if their PC is hacked their passwords are gone, password security is kinda obsolete already.

Would you want to receive (and pay for) an SMS each time you access TPU? and then you have to enter that code?

I don't even have my own cell phone. :(

:roll:

Just for discussion, I wouldn't mind seeing something like SteamGuard used more often.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm hungry and my cedar chips are getting rank. :(

N9ZN-Extra

i have no hamster or any pets .. other than my moderators

LOL, that's not what I read either. :D

Just to clear this up on my end, the internet began after PC's were invented in 1981 (I think). That is somewhere between 20 to 30 yerrs we have lived with passwords to protect us and every year they become weaker and weaker as a protection.

My whole point is times have changed and along with that the industry should change how we protect our identity, and access to web sites.

EarlZ

Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Rev1.1
Cooling Noctua D14
Memory 4GB G.Skill 9-10-9-27-1T 2133Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX580 1.5Gb
Storage 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Samsung T220
Case Lian Li PC-P80
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Extreme Music
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Gold 850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Heres an issue on my end, I've never really used this account ( this only has 2 posts prior to this ) and I though this account was bound to a different email and my active account was on my main email address, I can no longer recall the email address used on my active account here at TPU but I would very much like to keep using that, is there a way this can be resolved?