• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about upgrading my home network to something a little more robust...

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Time Warner Cable recently tacked on a $4 rental fee per month for the crappy RCA modem they provided, so I ordered a Motorola SB6121 SURFboard modem to replace it which should pay for itself in a little over a year. I wanted to take this chance to upgrade some old network gear in the house since we've recently seen an increase in internet usage. There are currently 3 laptops, 3 desktops, 2 tablets, and 4 smartphones sharing my internet daily. At least 3 of those devices are constantly streaming from Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. I feel like the aging setup I currently have (TWC-provided RCA modem + Linksys WRT160N V2 router + assorted wireless adapters) just isn't cutting it (I could be, and probably am wrong so let me know if I am). I should point out that my internet connection is 10/1, but I often get over 20Mbps download speeds. It's not enough to saturate my current setup, but things feel sluggish when under heavy load, which is often.

Since I have the SB6121 modem coming in soon, I wanted to upgrade the router to the Linksys EA3500 and whatever adapters I can to Linksys AE3000's. This way, the two wireless desktops, which also see the heaviest traffic, can operate on the 5GHz spectrum.

Would the proposed setup be a noticeable improvement over my current configuration? I know that my internet bandwidth is limited by my provider, so I'm hesitant to spend another $120 on top of the $80 I spent on the modem if there's nothing to be gained.

Processor AMD 8350
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Night Night Hawk Edition
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CL7
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 500gb + WD Black 5Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Case White Corsair 500r
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i 860W
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
As long as your wireless cards are "N" rated then you would be able to take advantage of those routers and I'm sure you'd see smoother use when everyone's connected. I'm using a D-Link DIR 655 D-Link Xtreme Gigabit Router (DIR-655) Wireless N3... and it runs 4 wired devices & 4 laptops & 1 tablet & 2 I Phones without any problems. My son can easily game while I'm watching Netflix on my laptop with my daughter on her I Phone & her laptop at the same time, & finally the wife on the tablet and it all runs smooth as silk..

Processor q6600 G0 @ 2.8Ghz
Motherboard ex38 DS4
Cooling air
Memory 4 *1gig tracer ballistic
Video Card(s) sapphire dual bios 6950
Storage ssd- sandisk 120gb, sata- 2 500gb samsung in raid 1 & 1 samsung 400gb
Display(s) LG w2452tx
Case nzxt
Audio Device(s) na
Power Supply hiper 730
Mouse g9
Keyboard bt microsoft arch
Software win7
As long as your wireless cards are "N" rated then you would be able to take advantage of those routers and I'm sure you'd see smoother use when everyone's connected. I'm using a D-Link DIR 655 D-Link Xtreme Gigabit Router (DIR-655) Wireless N3... and it runs 4 wired devices & 4 laptops & 1 tablet & 2 I Phones without any problems. My son can easily game while I'm watching Netflix on my laptop with my daughter on her I Phone & her laptop at the same time, & finally the wife on the tablet and it all runs smooth as silk..

+1 to that

the routers ISP's provide are almost never of the best quality, you should notice a difference when youy get your new one, and just make sure your wireless router/card is "N" rated as said above