• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoin mining - GPU-Z TEMP #1 74ºc #2 120ºc #3 90.5ºc too hot for temp #2??

akipfer

hi so, here the thing, im using my gpu a lot lately, not only for games, so i kinda worried about the temp, like temp #2, i think is normal, but some people say is not, so, is it ok or not?

here is some of the picture of gpu-z
Graphics Card PAGE[1]

and Sensor's page [2]

i underclocked memory, cause mining doesn't use the memory as it uses the clock it self.
Also, with or without underclock on memory, temps are the same..

oH and, like i say before, the GPU is on HIGH stress 24/7 so, that's why i'm worry about it, cause just for game the temp it self, doesn't go that high...
here some pics while gaming(GTA IV)

not that high while gaming...but mining wow,that cause to much hot.
anyone else mining why those temps?
anyway, is that too hot? is normal?

akipfer

HOT TEMP? mining rig - GPU-Z TEMP #1 74ºc #2 120ºc #3 90.5ºc too hot for temp #2??

hi so, here the thing, im using my gpu a lot lately, not only for games, so i kinda worried about the temp, like temp #2, i think is normal, but some people say is not, so, is it ok or not?

Here is some of the picture of gpu-z
graphics card page[1]

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/03/06/d0k.png

and sensor's page [2]

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/03/06/5qr.png

i underclocked memory, cause mining doesn't use the memory as it uses the clock it self.
Also, with or without underclock on memory, temps are the same..

Oh and, like i say before, the gpu is on high stress 24/7 so, that's why i'm worry about it, cause just for game the temp it self, doesn't go that high...
Here some pics while gaming(gta iv)

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/03/06/aag.png

not that high while gaming...but mining wow,that cause to much hot.
Anyone else mining why those temps?
Anyway, is that too hot? Is normal?

[up]

Processor Intel i9-9900KS @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 32GB Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) 65" LG C9 OLED
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius headset, Logitech Z906 speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium
I don't trust GPU-z's temperature readings. Can you fire up Afterburner and confirm those temps? If indeed you do have some component running at 120C (which I doubt), then something is wrong.

akipfer

I don't trust GPU-z's temperature readings. Can you fire up Afterburner and confirm those temps? If indeed you do have some component running at 120C (which I doubt), then something is wrong.

Afterburner only shows up the first temp, not the other's....
on msi afterburner show exactly like temp #1 on gpu-z or even on CCC....
but yest, i'm sure is that how, close to the power pin plug, its really hot, not sure if is that hot, but is way more hot then the heatsink it self...

Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
That's why I'm doubting that 120C reading... sometimes GPU-z will read things that aren't really there (e.g. it will look for a VRM temp even if the card doesn't have anything in place to accurately report VRM temp).

I dunno... someone with more knowledge about GPU-z and/or your particular model card will have to speak up but I just can't imagine your card surviving if the VRMs or memory chips were running at 120C... most computer parts either shut down or explode by the time they hit that temp.

Have you tried undervolting your card for mining and seeing if that helps?

akipfer

That's why I'm doubting that 120C reading... sometimes GPU-z will read things that aren't really there (e.g. it will look for a VRM temp even if the card doesn't have anything in place to accurately report VRM temp).

I dunno... someone with more knowledge about GPU-z and/or your particular model card will have to speak up but I just can't imagine your card surviving if the VRMs or memory chips were running at 120C... most computer parts either shut down or explode by the time they hit that temp.

haha, its undervlotad already, but i have some oc now :D but without it does get down to about 103ºc but still, hot...
so even without oc and with undervolt of 1149mv to 987mv the temp #2 is + -102ºc
also, GPU-Z has never, never get me wrongs temp at all, never... is the best for this kinda stuffs, if he says, is true, that why im worried ;(

Attachments

• msi_after_huge_undervolt_now.jpg
    msi_after_huge_undervolt_now.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,019
System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit

Actually, 120C about the max temperature rating for most VRMs iirc. This doesnt mean that it'll be fine for them to run like this 24/7 without degrading in some way though.

I would consider improving the airflow over the components of the GPU a bit(if possible), because it will possibly lower these temperatures(If they are correct). If not, then you will still have a cooler running graphics card, which is never a bad thing:)

Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Huh... I had thought most VRMs were rated at 100-110C. Learn something new every day I guess :)

If 120C is indeed an accurate VRM reading, I hope you don't plan on keeping that GPU for many years...

Anyways, maybe you've had better luck with GPU-z than I have - it can be wildly buggy and inaccurate with readings on my GPUs.

akipfer

Actually, 120C about the max temperature rating for most VRMs iirc. This doesnt mean that it'll be fine for them to run like this 24/7 without degrading in some way though.

I would consider improving the airflow over the components of the GPU a bit(if possible), because it will possibly lower these temperatures(If they are correct at all). If not, then you will have a cooler running graphics card regardless, which is never a bad thing:)

i see, but my case its open on the side already...i do have an gf 8800 fan here, maybe i can put it to throw some fresh air into gpu, i don't know just thinking :D

but since is open, should be well cooled right?

i don't think that is the vrms it self, cause on bottom is says VRM1 VRM2 and is about 25ºc-26ºc

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Last edited:

akipfer

Its only based on some flaky articles I've read over the years, so I could be wrong here aswell:)
Also, ratings may differ greatly between VRMs aswell.

Edit:
may prove helpfull: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-67186.html

uhm...okay?

im still mining with those temps, hope that won't break my card a part haha, is not high-end but still, is HD6850 1GB GDDR5 :D runs very well, even for mining, 220 mhash/s with OC

i think could be beter, but my PSU can't handle it, so i need to OC for better Mhash/s
anyway.....
Thx for all until now, maybe i add something later, like tomorrow!
Bye

AndrewK

Take the heatsink off... look at your VRMs... if the card has thermal pads I would guess that they have become old and brittle. You'll usually see part of the thermal pad stick to the card while the other half goes with the heatsink.

If this is the case you will need to remove the seperated thermal pad and put another one on.

Also, it never hurts to remove all the gooped on thermal paste the manufacturer applies to the core and replace it with good MX-2 or equivalent (radio shack sells it non branded).

And finally: 120 degree temps are never a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they go much higher than that especially when summer roles around. They will eventually kill your card.

Good luck,

akipfer

Take the heatsink off... look at your VRMs... if the card has thermal pads I would guess that they have become old and brittle. You'll usually see part of the thermal pad stick to the card while the other half goes with the heatsink.

If this is the case you will need to remove the seperated thermal pad and put another one on.

Also, it never hurts to remove all the gooped on thermal paste the manufacturer applies to the core and replace it with good MX-2 or equivalent (radio shack sells it non branded).

And finally: 120 degree temps are never a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they go much higher than that especially when summer roles around. They will eventually kill your card.

Good luck,

i see, well i don't live on US, im on Brazil :D raised and Born at here :D love Brazil...
so u say that if i apply some MX-2(can u send me a link on radioshack so i can at least see how is it, to buy over here...)on the card, i think i would do that.
thx by now!