• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX (Intel LGA 1150)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ok.

The thing I can't get my head around though is exactly why you think the bios sucks. I've read through the article and I couldn't find any real rage what-so-ever apart from the "This board sucks".

The CPU throttles when it shouldn't. Normally this is a power or heat thing, but neither is an issue...but the performance of the board is affected by this, and I'm not the only user to relate this.

Honestly, when you pay more for a board than what is offered by another product from the same brand, you expect more. The MSI GAMING boards outperform this more expensive product.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I don't have CPU throttling. I took that thing to 5.1Ghz on water and 6Ghz on LN2 and it didn't throttle.

It also performs within 1% of 4 other boards I tested too in Cinebench (r10/r11.5), Super Pi, WPrime, Pifast, AIDA64 memory/cache, and Maxmemm results. We don't test games so I cannot attest to that, however, its not made for gaming per say. The only gaming result that sticks out is Sniper Elite and Metro:LL. How do you test games? Meaning what resolution and settings? That said, I have used this board to review/benchmark a few GPUs and GPU's of the same type are all VERY close in result as they should be. I would be looking at the Physics/CPU score of 3d11 and 3dMark as those are CPU tests to see exactly what fell short causing those slightly lower scores. Who knows, the GPU could have hiccuped in your testing causing the results you see? No idea. But whatever problems you are having, I did not.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Who knows, the GPU could have hiccuped in your testing causing the results you see? No idea. But whatever problems you are having, I did not.

Yeah, GPUs are possible, but also CPU tests are a fair bit lower. You're right, it's like 1%, but that's the story with all boards, really.

Am I being a bit critical? Yep. Cinebench GPU scores are great, CPU a bit low. Other CPU performance metrics, and games, the MPowerMAX gets beat by that gaming boards.

The interesting thing is that after I posted this review, I talked to MSI, and they made more BIOSes available for this board. After updating the BIOS, the board did improve. Do keep in mind that the BIOS is used for testing is not BETA, and there are many BETA BIOSes. Our routine here @ TPU involves using the most publically available NON-BETA BIOS, which at the time of testing, was the launch BIOS, not the BIOS you used, so it makes sense that our testing results would be different.

I believe i used what came on the board? Check the screenshots of the bios...looks like 7815v11 (beta has a "b" in them, right?) but honestly, I do not remember which. I just know I borked them both and needed to send the thing back for a reflash due to my own stupidity, LOL!

After looking back at our PM's a couple months ago, I only moved to the beta bios to test out th bclk strap. All the testing (stock, 4.9Ghz, and 5.1Ghz), IIRC, was on the one in the screenshot (public bios).

I don't have that board active now so I cannot test anything.

BIOS releases post your review publish updated raid card and memory compatibility IIRC. I would imagine if performance increased, and was a problem, that would have been mentioned?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I don't have that board active now so I cannot test anything.

That kinda sucks. OR not, I guess. :p

At least I can happily say that the board is much better after the recent BIOS updates. I never flashed any BETA to the board. MSI only posted the v1.3 BIOS after I posted this review, BTW. Before I complained and posted this review, the board hadn't received anything but beta releases for several months.

UPdate also mentions this:

- Update VBIOS version to v.2177.

Dunno if that's what made the difference, if it was other tweaks, or what, because I want to say that's an iGP thing.

Latest bios on their site (just checked) is 1.4 from 8/30. Previous was 1.3 from 8/22. Raid card, memory and gaming kb compatibility and whatever vbios version is/means. Previous to that was June so two months (I guess several means two, :p), but correct beta releases.

In your PM you mentioned a beta bios...I assumed you tried it. Bad assumption I suppose. LOL!

All I know is, I didn't see the performance issues you did with what I *think* was a public bios and my experience with the board did not 'suck' in the least. Oh well. :)

Last edited:
System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
I have the mpower vanilla, and with the latest bios I think 1.5 I couldn't keep my 4.5 stable, so I tried using the beta 1.5b I gotta say it not only kept my Cpu me stable but I was also able to push it to 4.7 (realized my 4770k isn't such a stubborn one after all) couldn't keep it there so I just reverted back to 4.5 . I re-ran the benchmarks but for some reason my scores were low... upon checking cpuz and even the new cinebench, it kept saying my Cpu was @3.9. So Dave that throttling is definitely there, gonna have to have a tall with micro star one again.

They are different boards...so one's problem likely won't be on the other, though it can be.

Also, the scores he posted do not represent your problem in that his scrores do not reflect stock scores like yours are (holding the turbo). My suggestion is to reset the CMOS and start your overclocking adventure over again. Perhaps run something that logs CPU clocks (I think MSI AB b15 does now?) and see if it is throttling or perhaps you really were not at 4.5Ghz as you thought. ;)

I know with the MAX I had thought I set things in the bios (I did) and got to windows only to see 3.9Ghz before I ran the bench. Not sure if you checked CPUz before the benchmarks. It is just unusual to see throttling all the way back to stock, evne with no load.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It is just unusual to see throttling all the way back to stock, evne with no load.

But issues like this are common to MSI over generations. OC for the end user should be simplistic...change a few settings, and it works. Like with the GAMING boards...also MSI products. Had the GAMING boards not been fantastic for me, I'd not have expected as much form the MPowerMAX, honestly.

The MPowerMAX, at first, did not work as expected. It could be some simple thing, or something complex, but either way, you not experiencing an issue that I did doesn't make either of our experiences invalid..just different. You had issues with BCLK...I did not.

MSI did offer to send me a new board, to take the individual board itself out of the equation, even...and they did post BIOSes for download when I asked. Like don't get me wrong, I was disappointed by my experience with this board, but MSI has gone over and above expectations to ensure that my issues are resolved.

Although MSI is going the extra mile here, that doesn't change my experience...

But issues like this are common to MSI over generations. OC for the end user should be simplistic...change a few settings, and it works. Like with the GAMING boards...also MSI products.
And it is...

What throttling issue did you have? I skimmed the review, and saw the word, but not an explanation of exactly what happened (I likely missed it). All I see is the same 4.6Ghz overclock with just a couple of slightly below average (excluding Sniper Eliter) benchmarks.

The MPowerMAX, at first, did not work as expected. It could be some simple thing, or something complex, but either way, you not experiencing an issue that I did doesn't make either of our experiences invalid..just different. You had issues with BCLK...I did not.
BCLK was my ignorance. ;)

I hear you, and agree.. I took a TON of shit for approving EVGA Z77 FTW. But MY experience with the board was fine which was upon launch. I did not have the chance to even see the problem, but still got hung in some other forum because of it (was comical the exchange actually). I didn't have the USB3 issues that are STILL plaguing some users with that board.

"Suck" was an awfully strong word, but that is not what I take exception too in the least. I, like the other user, are just curious why that word came out. I see the benchmarks and can make an argument that way, but I missed what happened with the throttling. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What throttling issue did you have?

4.6 GHz wasn't present under all loading conditions. Sometimes 2-3 cores would fall back to 44 or lower. Took some time to figure that out.

I'm not the only reviewer that experienced that specifically, either; if I was, I'd not be so adamant about the board having issues. BTW, don't forget..BIOS updated fixed it, which to me, makes the BIOS the source of the problem. Why it did that, I actually don't have the slightest clue. :p