• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Releases MSI N780 Lightning Full-Cover Water Block

EK Water Blocks, Ljubljana based premium water cooling gear manufacturer, is proud to introduce a new Full-Cover water block for MSI N780 Lightning series graphics cards.

EK-FC780 GTX Lightning water block directly cools the GPU, RAM as well as VRM (voltage regulation module) as water flows directly over these critical areas. This allows the graphics card and it's VRM to remain stable under high overclocks. EK-FC780 GTX Lightning water block also features a very high flow design therefore it can be easily used in liquid cooling systems using weaker water pumps.

Base is made of nickel plated electrolytic copper while the top is made of quality POM Acetal material which extends over entine lenght of the circuit board. Up to four EK-FC780 GTX Lightning series water blocks can be interconnected with EK-FC Terminal or HD Tube & Adapter System system - depending on the variant - which allows for hassle-free piping job.

The product is available in a single variant and can utilize MSI factory provided backplate:
  • EK-FC780 GTX Lightning - Acetal+Nickel - 119,95€

Products are readily available for purchase through EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

GingerBlade

Will it work?

Will it work on amsi gtx 780 gaming edition?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Hey Neliz, when is the Lightning going to get a more overclocking friendly bios?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Hey Neliz, when is the Lightning going to get a more overclocking friendly bios?

Because watercooling something gimped with voltage locks is pointless :laugh:

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

GingerBlade

Okay thanks . Wasnt really sur . Do you think they will bring one out for the gaming edition though? I know I can do research myself but im in exams no so cant really.

It's a shame you don't, you know, just provide a download link to a voltage unlocked BIOS from MSI.

This would not comply with the GL program as it voids warranty. Thus, it's left to professional overclockers.

Okay thanks . Wasnt really sur . Do you think they will bring one out for the gaming edition though? I know I can do research myself but im in exams no so cant really.
I think the block for reference cards should fit, but better check to make sure.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It's a shame you don't, you know, just provide a download link to a voltage unlocked BIOS from MSI.
As he mentioned there are reasons for that...

HOWEVER...

1. MSI needs to FIX their 300% bios so it does not show excessive power use and cause premature throttling.
1a. Once fixed, offer it as a DL again.
2. MSI needs to actually put their FIXED 300% bios on the LN2 side instead of the default bios on both.

This card could be so great... but, out of the box, you neutered it. I have been in talks with our rep there as well as a couple people in Taiwan when I was reviewing this card for nearly 7 weeks trying to fix the 300% bios and get the default bios limits raised a bit to at least compete with the Classified and Lightning. I have a lot of promises that it would be done, but we are 8 weeks in and not a change...Neliz, perhaps you can light a fire under Taiwan to get their act together and take off the shackles on this card (at least for the 300% bios - fixing it). As of now, the only way to do that is to use a 3rd party bios...which is a shame. :shadedshu

Kinaesthetic

This would not comply with the GL program as it voids warranty. Thus, it's left to professional overclockers.

I think the block for reference cards should fit, but better check to make sure.

Yeah, and when do you actually plan on responding to that PM I sent you nearly a month ago? Y'all dropped the ball at MSI, and you've left everyone who bought a Lightning out to dry without solid support.

If it weren't for the price drop, the Lightning would pretty much be irrelevant. And this is coming from the person who is the head of the darn club on OCN.

Not to mention I'm still receiving word from users that they are STILL getting cards with low spec Elpida. Heck, even most reference are at minimum using high spec Hynix on their cards. Its stupid at this point to be paying a premium for worse performance.

Get your guys' act together imo.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
As he mentioned there are reasons for that...

HOWEVER...

1. MSI needs to FIX their 300% bios so it does not show excessive power use and cause premature throttling.
1a. Once fixed, offer it as a DL again.
2. MSI needs to actually put their FIXED 300% bios on the LN2 side instead of the default bios on both.

This card could be so great... but, out of the box, you neutered it. I have been in talks with our rep there as well as a couple people in Taiwan when I was reviewing this card for nearly 7 weeks trying to fix the 300% bios and get the default bios limits raised a bit to at least compete with the Classified and Lightning. I have a lot of promises that it would be done, but we are 8 weeks in and not a change...Neliz, perhaps you can light a fire under Taiwan to get their act together and take off the shackles on this card (at least for the 300% bios - fixing it). As of now, the only way to do that is to use a 3rd party bios...which is a shame. :shadedshu

I just think they don't want to piss Nvidia, it's the only explainable reason.

EVGA did (115% Plimit), and so did Galaxy (126% Plimit). The most expensive 780 out of the bunch is the one that has the least amount of headroom...

I wonder why it matters what AIB's do with their limits and such? I would have to imagine that the warranty and such is on the company giving those limits out, not Nvidia...

Processor 8700k Intel
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Well you involuntarily gave another reason to not give more headroom, but I'm with you.

MSI should just support what they've promised.

EVGA did (115% Plimit), and so did Galaxy (126% Plimit). The most expensive 780 out of the bunch is the one that has the least amount of headroom...

I wonder why it matters what AIB's do with their limits and such? I would have to imagine that the warranty and such is on the company giving those limits out, not Nvidia...

I think you should read up on Nvidia`s Green Light Program if you haven't done so already.

I think the Green Light Program is in effect so Nvidia can create cards like the 780TI or the 770 etc.

I think you should read up on Nvidia`s Green Light Program if you haven't done so already.

I think the Green Light Program is in effect so Nvidia can create cards like the 780TI or the 770 etc.
Thanks, but I am well aware of this program (that was referred to earlier by Neliz). :toast:

That said, as far as I read on it, it has nothing to do with new models coming out. As far as I can remember, without this program, there were always cards that came out just above while the card below could overclock right up to it... think GTX 280 and GTX 285. Or GTX 260 and GTX 260 core 216. The funny part is, I would bet my life says more cards are sold by AIB's than Nvidia reference cards anyway, so I am not sure why they want to limit overclocking with such harsh repercussions on the board partners.

My personal take is EVGA and Galaxy have higher limits out of the box, right? Right. Why couldn't MSI do that? Now, I was told that Galaxy actually broke Nvidia's rules with their 126% limit, but not sure if that is really true. Assume it is, and I wonder why they couldn't at least go up to EVGA's 115%. I was not told they broke the rules. That extra 6% helps! Why leave it on the table? Another thing, MSI released the 770 HAWK... it has a 185% power limit out of the box. Why couldn't that be brought over to the 780? I am guessing each card has a different limit? I don't know the inner workings there. But when one sees 185% possible on a different card, one has to wonder why its not on a more robust card, right?

So in the end, MSI produced the most robust hardware wise, and expensive GTX 780 out, yet has the lowest power limit available out of the factory, a broken LN2 bios that one can only find 3rd party now, and are relying on 3rd party, to make new bios to get around that limit. I do understand this isn't totally MSI's fault as Nvidia is imposing the limits, but why can't they break them like everyone else is apparently doing? Why would you release the 300% bios than pull it back (outside of it not working of course - then I ask, why has 3rd party been able to fix this issue but not MSI?). Why does Nvidia seem to have a tighter grip on MSI than EVGA or Galaxy? Why can't Nvidia say 'set any limit you want, we just will not support the bios/core' and leave it up to AIB's to make more robust hardware and have a bios team to write this stuff and warranty their own card? Hell, if random people are doing it with tools on the net days after it was released, I can't imagine what a proper company like MSI could do...

I love MSI... to death! And like I told them, it was PAINFUL to not approve this card in my review since it has all the right hardware. I now have no idea if they are actually working on their 300% bios anymore to release to the public or raising the limit on the stock bios.

Well you involuntarily gave another reason to not give more headroom, but I'm with you.

MSI should just support what they've promised.
I did? How?

Last edited:
Processor 8700k Intel
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
I did? How?

I would have to imagine that the warranty and such is on the company giving those limits out, not Nvidia...

This, companies are afraid to carry warranties on their own, it's an expense, especially when we are talking about cards that are designed to be brought to their limits.

Heh, worry about that when Nvidia actually takes the Chastity Belt off of the AIB's...they are certainly more than aware of that happening as that is essentially what the GL says. ;)

Its up to the AIB's to have some knowledge from Nvidia/AMD as far as what the cores can/cannot do and what is required to run the core well and then make a financial decision on what is prudent or not.

Yeah, and when do you actually plan on responding to that PM I sent you nearly a month ago?

Yeah Sorry, My father passed away and replying PM's has been of 0 priority since, I'm slowly starting to backtrack through that.

As for a publicly released version that breaks NV rules, that will simply not happen, I think everyone is pretty aware of the big red letters on Guru3D when NVIDIA asked them to remove the BIOS & Afterburner.