• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI and ASUS Send VGA Review Samples with Higher Clocks than Retail Cards

Because they made it look like you did not need to install it to enjoy said performance. Its deceptive.

Fair enough, though I still find it strange how according to this article, reviewers apparently choose to not install any software besides the drivers. Doesn't that mean you're missing out on certain functionality and features?

Why would you not install the software provided with the product in the first place?

Air

Processor AMD Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard B550i AORUS PRO AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D9L
Memory 2 x 16Gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz C16
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1 Tb
Case Ncase M1 V3
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Gold
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z: 655.8 single, 4999.7 multi Cinebench R23: 1563 single, 11275 multi
Anyways, why is VW known to do these stuff? I don't follow cars but I just don't get it.

VW case was a lot worse. They cheated on emissions tests, automaticaly changing performance to reduce emissions while being tested.

Fair enough, though I still find it strange how according to this article, reviewers apparently choose to not install any software besides the drivers. Doesn't that mean you're missing out on certain functionality and features?

Why would you not install the software provided with the product in the first place?

Many people doesnt like installing extra stuff. Myself included.

Also, most sites review cards using their default clocks and maximum overclock. Its fine like this, and consistent.

If they did install it, should they try all profiles and post results for all 3 of them? And if not, which one should they choose? I would say the default, "gaming" one. Which you can get without the software.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
the score should be down to much lower then now, for their card that already reviewed on tpu.com if this all was true or shouldn't ?

I wonder, how about the all review for other cards on the past..?

is this the first time?

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
not surprised at all

i'll would be surprised if other consumer electronics won't suffer from same "illness"; same shi.... like VW emission scandal.... one catched and the rest are coming...

this is the ugly face of competitiveness between companies... but let's not forget that behind any companies are people who implement their own way of thinking

"in $ we trust"

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Hi. What's going on here? :confused:

I do have a beef with you guys as well.

I have seen some Gigabyte products get new revisions during the product life cycle. There is nothing wrong in this in general, but sometimes the new revision is more like a new product, arguably changing the used components so much (sometimes to worse as well!), so what is sold no longer reflects the initial reviews done with REV1.0.
Pretty much all manufacturers are doing this, what could you do better to distinguish the differences to consumers who are buying your products? At the moment you can't know whether you are getting lets say REV1.0 board or REV1.1 which could have some significant changes.
At least some of the revisions are listed on your product pages with photos of the boards, so you are already ahead of others. :)

--

Worst guys in this gimping over product life cycle thing are arguably XFX and TUL corporations like PowerColor. I have also seen MSI products with cut down reference design components advertised as "Military class quality", ofc in that case its complete BS copy paste on product page. And Asus conveniently removing significant part of VReg bulk capacitance by leaving "unnecessary" components off the board after initial samples. List is long...

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I don't install manufacturer's apps anyway. Rarely do they do anything besides using system resources.
Also, those overclocks are downright pathetic. Three profiles all within 100MHz from each other? And a required app to enable "superior performance"? It's insulting, imo.

Exactly what was a fan of bundled software. MSI Afterburner works just for overclocking needs.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Okay, I understand why this is an issue of honesty and that it's annoying that MSI makes you install their gaming application to enable the listed clock rates. They really should just send the cards out with the default clocks set to the advertised speeds. The issue is that their gaming app is used to change the LED lights and switch between three profiles, and I guess they are assuming that people want the middle of the road profile most of the time (bad assumption).

The workaround for people in the know is just to dial in the advertised clock rates as OC'ing in Precision X or Afterburner is going to have the same effect as the stupid gaming app. That's what I did, I have a profile that is the standard "OC" profile that was listed on MSI's website, and a profile where I crank it up, and one where it's just at the default rate.

I guess my opinion is that anyone reading all these reviews is going to install the app or overclock on their own anyway, and the ones that just buy the card and throw it in are fine with the "Gaming" profile that is default in the VBIOS. Sure, it's stupid to try to force people to install your stupid gaming app to get the full guaranteed speed of the card, but if the only change to review samples were to dial in the advertised speeds ahead of time so that the reviewers don't mess up the testing setup, I think it's understandably non-malicious. MSI just really needs to reexamine why they are adding barriers to get their card's top speed in the first place. That gaming app is useless and robs people of performance unless they aren't stupid, but MSI was not maliciously inflating performance past what any owner of the card is guaranteed to achieve.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Someone metioned a workaround in regards to OCing, profiles and software. I have an even better workaround. Dont buy MSI or Asus cards anymore. I know i wont.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Credibility lost... cheating is cheating. This is not something minor in my opinion. Even a few hertz can matter in benchmarks and it is important to get a hold of the card's true performance at stock. This is an attempt to fool would-be buyers, making their cards look better than the competitors with better scores in reviews. All tests should be re-run using the stock frequencies of the retail board IMHO.

Its 30mhz. Any user that has 2 brain cells and knows how to change a slider in Afterburner can get that clock.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
These modes were advertised on the back of the box of the MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G OC.

Yep, Silent, Gaming and OC, now whilst my 970 like every other card defaulted to the Gaming clocks (1114 base, 1253 boost), it would boost far higher than the OC mode (1140 base, 1279 boost) clocks by default anyway, like 1367+

Looking @ overclockers.co.uk just as an example it's sold @ OC clocks for what it is worth.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-259-ms.html

System Name Madness
Processor 6700k delidded 5.0ghz from silicone lottery
Motherboard Msi z270 m5
Cooling xspc cpu block , ek pump/res , alphacool 360 rad , ek fc x2 , monsoon fittings
Memory corsair dominator platinum16gb with light bar kit
Video Card(s) Msi 1070 seahawk x2
Storage adata sp550 256gb , seagate 1tb
Display(s) hp 24' monitors x3
Case Phanteks enthoo evolve tempered glass
Audio Device(s) Samsung 5.1 surround system
Power Supply xfx 1250w pro series , custom cables
Mouse Logitech g403
Keyboard Logitech g11 ,painted white and black
Hmm this reminds me of when the 6850 was sent to reviewers with more shaders enabled then stock..green team , red team.. "Shady" stuff on both sides of the isle

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Hmm this reminds me of when the 6850 was sent to reviewers with more shaders enabled then stock..green team , red team.. "Shady" stuff on both sides of the isle
This has nothing to do with Red or Green. MSI cheated on both...

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Most of the software that comes with the hardware I buy is utter garbage. It's always a third party's software that I end up installing.

Geforce Experience is wretched, uninstalled that a day after installing it. Gigabytes software for this motherboard I have is god-awful, uninstalled it almost as fast as I uninstalled it. They are always so clunky and bug-ridden.

Now they want you to install it so you can have your extra 30Mhz.... lol. Sad...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
NVIDIA back to their old review tricks again! :rolleyes:

Those of us old enough will remember the benchmark tricks of 2003 when NVIDIA deliberately took rendering shortcuts with the likes of fixed 3DMark benchmarks to get a significantly higher score. When the view was changed, a corrupted scene was rendered (the sky I think) revealing the trickery, resulting in a scandal which changed how reviewers benchmark to this day. I know ATI wasn't totally immune from this either, but NVIDIA was worse.

And I'm a long time NVIDIA user, so no fanboyism here.

@W1zzard Will you be updating your reviews to take this into account? I'm thinking running the cards at the same clocks as a customer would get and inserting the benchmark into the results, plus a short writeup about it, with an adjustment to the review score if necessary.

I thought it was odd how the Founder's Edition cards were hitting their thermal limits like that. An unofficial overclock could explain it.

I dont see anything wrong with this. Everybody always want to send their best to be reviewed by reviewers.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Hi. What's going on here? :confused:

The problem was discovered with MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X and ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX, so might want to take reviews of those cards with a grain of salt. Gigabyte on the other hand does not use such practices with its G1 GAMING Series.
:D

JayzTwoCents said:
Hey guys. Thanks for posting this article. I have already compared the BIOS on my card (older version than retail) to the retail cards and also see the same discrepancy in "out of the box" boost clocks. I am being sent the retail bios from a follower and will flash my card with it to compare the results.

One thing that this article didn't mention is that the latest version of Gaming App is still not available to the consumer who already purchased these cards and so they don't even HAVE access to the OC button. That's why the issue of end users being able to achieve the same clocks with the click of a button is a big deal, especially when they don't have access to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I don't get what all the fuss is. Everyone should know what these three modes are available for the card they are purchasing. If they don't, then too bad they should pay attention to what they are buying. The simple fact that OC Mode is enabled when sent to reviewers and retail has gaming mode enabled is a non issue for me because these modes are available to the end user with relatively no extra work.

Now, if they had sent cards with a special bios that allowed a higher power envelope, or higher temp limit, or something that is not attainable to a consumer than that is different. While I think the 970 memory stunt was ridiculously douchey, people were still buying it based on the reviews which showed the card performed exactly as it should.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I don't get what all the fuss is. Everyone should know what these three modes are available for the card they are purchasing. If they don't, then too bad they should pay attention to what they are buying. The simple fact that OC Mode is enabled when sent to reviewers and retail has gaming mode enabled is a non issue for me because these modes are available to the end user with relatively no extra work.

Now, if they had sent cards with a special bios that allowed a higher power envelope, or higher temp limit, or something that is not attainable to a consumer than that is different. While I think the 970 memory stunt was ridiculously douchey, people were still buying it based on the reviews which showed the card performed exactly as it should.

Marketing for ya heh? Not all cards boost equal, and Fury X isn't an... you get the point.

Hell as it stands you'd think AotS is the best game ever made.... meh.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
NVIDIA back to their old review tricks again! :rolleyes:
How anyone can think that Nvidia is responsible what the AIB's do with custom cards? Point the finger on MSI and Asus, not on Nvidia.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Marketing for ya heh? Not all cards boost equal, and Fury X isn't an... you get the point.

Hell as it stands you'd think AotS is the best game ever made.... meh.

This might be the first time I have ever agreed with you.

Sam008

MSI gaming app does give us features like display settings for movie, gaming & eyerest mode.

The new ones get leds control with them but using afterburner is better because whenever i run gaming app it makes the clocks for my r9 270x go to 1050/1400 (silent mode) by default & when i close it my idle clock is 300/300 not 300/150.

I oced my card to 1200/1500 with afterburner & there is no option for us to run custom profiles from gaming app.

So yes avoid that software & use afterburner.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
Even though the performance differences are negligible and the software has its merits, shady business practices like these shouldn't go unpunished.

jtl

Thanks for the integrity. It goes without saying other reviews may have tried to ignore it/cover it up.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I agree with the sentiment that it's BS even if it's simple enough to achieve on your own. Normally I don't bother with overclocking, and I hate having to install software. So therefore I get a marginally lower performance than expected.

As @danbert2000 said, they should think hard about why users have to jump through hoops to get the extra performance.

It does depends though. How well advertised is the feature?

RMX

Thanks for mentioning this TPU, although I think it's not such a big deal as the performance numbers reviewed are also available to me or any other 1080 GAMING owner and any company ever would send in a product for a review optimized to deliver the best performance. Never a fan of extra software but I've now installed the Gaming app and enabled OC mode for some more performance, so I guess this news is not so bad for me :)