• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial On Cryptocoins: I think I know why Satoshi Nakamoto Hides

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
@R-T-B

I'll pass on your sickening Marxist positioning and the obvious contradictions on your text; let me just forward some bad news:
your knowledge of the monetary and financial system is null, and digital currency can only be understood in this context. When you're familiar with concepts like the Gold Standard, money as a commodity, Fiat money, fractional reserve banking, money supply... then we can have a chat.

I'm familiar with all of those. I have no idea how some of them apply to digital currency however. I mean the gold standard, really? I know bitcoin is designed to immitate a precious ore but come on, this is a clear cut case of Tragedy of the Commons, which is not a "Marxist" theory, but something even the most hardcore capitalists acknowledge can happen and be an issue.

Maybe we should start that chat. :laugh:

Excuse me sir RTB

But... we didn't see it coming??? Are you mental? 'When I started mining the impact wasn't quite clear'... well you lack some serious insight in anything outside of your own attic then.

No, I mean it was obvious we were burning some energy. What was not obvious was the scale to which this would take off, it's impact on supply and such, etc. I really doubt anyone back then thought bitcoin would top $50.00 and stay there for long, so why would the public care? You're saying we could affect something as big as the gaming market? Pfft. Such thoughts were jokes back then.

a whole world out there you know? I'm sorry to be so harsh, but that sentence right there disqualified any faith I still have in anything else you wrote. It contains so much naive, I can't even get to grips with it. And you came to terms with yourself and became 'level headed' after a few Bitcoin value ups and downs. Wow... just wow.

I do believe being once a miner who bought the cards, and now a gamer who can't get any grants me perspective on this issue, yes.

The cryptocurrency by definition and by the way it is mined, should die off really quickly, but validation through blockchain is something that will essentially save us loads of effort and in turn, energy compared to the current way we handle transactions.

I essentially argue this. Other than a few nitpicks, we are basically on the same page re the rest of your post.

Last edited:

ppn

hes hiding because he knows what happens to ponzi. i don't know why you'd think there is any other reason.

and who needs to buy video cards right now, the good moment for that was 1 year ago at launch. now is too close to next series and price drops of 200$ at the high end that follows.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I saw your video, and its shocking that a social liberal group of countries with strict laws to prevent growth and development owe trillions to other countries that then have to keep propping them up as they produce little and consume much.

Yep that's pretty much the underlying liberal theme, point fingers, do nothing to fix the problem, expect others to shoulder, I'm sorry "share" the burden.

A society without debt would be more realistic.
Without debt as in what? No way to borrow money? No banks?
Oh and this bullshit about proof of work... you're not working, you're just using shitloads of energy to let a machine do processing. The work you do, is paying your energy bill and pressing the on button. Its one of those things that people who sit behind a computer love to think of as work, and it has become some weird form of self fulfilling prophecy for them. Get a life...
This is something I noticed on this forum lately. :)
With the flood of multi-core CPU topics there are more and more people saying things like "I use my PC for serious work, go home to your games!". Whenever I ask those people it always turns out to be Folding or something similar. Oh come on... I think this really got out of hand lately.
Although I do hope that a geeky teenager running BOINC could, as a result, become involved in science... and maybe get into biology, medicine or physics instead of, for example, becoming another youtube reviewer or PC builder.
I mean, sure, the whole point of scientific distributed computation is that people running nodes don't have to understand what's going on. But I still hope that it at least makes them a little interested.

[USER=41983]R-T-B
said himself that he's not an economist and this is just his view as a BTC user. I think this is fine. Most of people here don't know how a transistor works, but it's not necessary to have an opinion on CPU performance.
My knowledge of monetary and financial systems is supposedly pretty substantial. You can chat with me if you want to be humiliated. ;)

Taking care of 20 mining rigs spread out over 3 houses and 2 states IS A FULLTIME JOB!!
(...)
So time to bail out when the good is good enough.
So you totally changed your opinion about mining in like what... a week? I remember talking with you in one of the threads and you seemed like looking forward to doing this until retirement.
Also, you wrote that this "is a fulltime job". But if I understand correctly, you have a job as well, right? You had a lot of money to put into mining rigs.

In the end, was this profitable? But honestly, taking all costs into consideration (both real and alternative).
lol I am doing better selling amd cards than mining.
You're not alone. The best business in the whole mining craze is in selling cards and pre-built rigs. I see offers with home-made rigs that go for 20% premium over the parts used. And they have no warranty other than that for the individual parts (often used).[/user]

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
You're not alone. The best business in the whole mining craze is in selling cards and pre-built rigs. I see offers with home-made rigs that go for 20% premium over the parts used. And they have no warranty other than that for the individual parts (often used).

Yep buy open item or used cards flash a mining bios and then sell at a stupod premium. I have doubled the money on every card sold.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
cost-to-benefit ratio went way up

You do realize that goes up when costs increase or benefits dwindle.

You do realize that goes up when costs increase or benefits dwindle.
This is an interesting thing (but linguistic or cultural?).
People (especially those with quantitative background) usually tend to think about ratios like they do about fractions in math. a-to-b or a-b ratio meaning a/b.
This concept is not entirely universal. Quite a lot of people name ratios differently.
The most used term would possibly be "price-to-performance", which is very close to "cost-to-benefit" that @R-T-B uses.
It's not a ratio of a-to-b. It's a ratio of 2 things in some way and to quickly guess which is which you simply have to think, which direction seems "good".
In other words: it's natural for people to think, that an increase is the expected, beneficial direction.

I also tend to think that this reversed naming is popular in US, but I don't have any theory for that - other than the fact that Americans generally like to do things differently.
For example US is the only large country in the world that primarily uses MDY date format (which is unordered just like the discussed ratios, so to speak).
US is also the only developed country that didn't adopt the metric system.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
YYYYMMDDHHMMSS is best because it's easily sortable. ;)

MM/DD/YYYY is because of how dates are properly presented in a sentence: Month Day, Year. It is July 8 (alternatively: "the eighth"), 2017, anno domini. Kind of like how we use commas in numbers to represent pauses in saying it: 1,342 is one thousand, three hundred forty-two.

As for metric, we're free to use whatever tool suits the problem best.

What's unordered about MM/DD/YYYY?
It's not ordered by length of a unit: year > month > day.
So YYYY/MM/DD and DD/MM/YYYY are ordered in this sense, but MM/DD/YYYY isn't. It simply resembles how Americans present dates in speech.
But using the same form in documents is useful - especially when it can be confusing (days <= 12) - that's why most countries in the world agreed to use a unified system. USA didn't join (along Liberia and Burma).

You can still see country/nation specifics when it comes to how we say dates and even numbers.
For example in Germany 321 is Dreihunderteinundzwanzig, so three hundred one and twenty. :)

DD/MM/YYYY is how his country does it. Therefore it is the right way
Actually, no. Poland officially uses the ISO 8601 form: YYYY-MM-DD.

Reactions: bug
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me

This is something I noticed on this forum lately. :)
With the flood of multi-core CPU topics there are more and more people saying things like "I use my PC for serious work, go home to your games!". Whenever I ask those people it always turns out to be Folding or something similar. Oh come on... I think this really got out of hand lately.
Although I do hope that a geeky teenager running BOINC could, as a result, become involved in science... and maybe get into biology, medicine or physics instead of, for example, becoming another youtube reviewer or PC builder.
I mean, sure, the whole point of scientific distributed computation is that people running nodes don't have to understand what's going on. But I still hope that it at least makes them a little interested.

[USER=41983]R-T-B
said himself that he's not an economist and this is just his view as a BTC user. I think this is fine. Most of people here don't know how a transistor works, but it's not necessary to have an opinion on CPU performance.
My knowledge of monetary and financial systems is supposedly pretty substantial. You can chat with me if you want to be humiliated. ;)

So you totally changed your opinion about mining in like what... a week? I remember talking with you in one of the threads and you seemed like looking forward to doing this until retirement.
Also, you wrote that this "is a fulltime job". But if I understand correctly, you have a job as well, right? You had a lot of money to put into mining rigs.

In the end, was this profitable? But honestly, taking all costs into consideration (both real and alternative).

You're not alone. The best business in the whole mining craze is in selling cards and pre-built rigs. I see offers with home-made rigs that go for 20% premium over the parts used. And they have no warranty other than that for the individual parts (often used).[/user]
Very profitable, I buy and resell cards also.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
hes hiding because he knows what happens to ponzi. i don't know why you'd think there is any other reason.

Well, if he's a Ponzi, he's horrible at it. Satoshis mined bitcoins are well known due to a quirk in his miner, and he's never moved them. I'm going with shame, especially since there have been no threats to prosecute him.

Yep buy open item or used cards flash a mining bios and then sell at a stupod premium. I have doubled the money on every card sold.

The people who made money in the last gold rush were those who sold the pickaxes.

Pretty much. Mind you that's really out there so far it's not even funny as well, I just said it was more realistic than a "currency-free society"

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
MM/DD/YYYY is because of how dates are properly presented in a sentence: Month Day, Year. It is July 8 (alternatively: "the eighth"), 2017, anno domini.

Only properly in that perversion of language called english. ISO 8601 or bust, at least in written form.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
So YYYY/MM/DD and DD/MM/YYYY are ordered in this sense, but MM/DD/YYYY isn't. It simply resembles how Americans present dates in speech.
But using the same form in documents is useful - especially when it can be confusing (days <= 12) - that's why most countries in the world agreed to use a unified system. USA didn't join (along Liberia and Burma).
The reason why MM/DD/YYYY is used everywhere is to prevent errors. For example, when you say your birth date to a nurse at a hospital to confirm you are who you are, you're going to say it as "July 8, 2017," or "seven, eight, seventeen." It'll appear the same on the record and it's consistent everywhere in the USA. Having someone tell you "seven, eight, seventeen" and interpreting it as day, month, year is one way malpractice lawsuits get started.

Representing a month as a number wasn't really a thing until computers came along.

Only properly in that perversion of language called english. ISO 8601 or bust, at least in written form.
Hey, we respect our roots! :laugh:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The reason why MM/DD/YYYY is used everywhere is to prevent errors. For example, when you say your birth date to a nurse at a hospital to confirm you are who you are, you're going to say it as "July 8, 2017," or "seven, eight, seventeen." It'll appear the same on the record and it's consistent everywhere in the USA. Having someone tell you "seven, eight, seventeen" and interpreting it as day, month, year is one way malpractice lawsuits get started.

Representing a month as a number wasn't really a thing until computers came along so there really wasn't any entry point for confusion.

Hey, we respect our roots! :laugh:
Never heard anyone saying a date in numbers only. I think it's only confusing in writing.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
So many people incorrectly believe that all technology is neutral, and it just matters how it is used....but that's not the case at all, technology has its own inherent "morality" so to speak. It's not solely humans fault for "this", anyone with an elementary understanding of capitalism could have told you that this cryptocurrency thing could have only turned out the way it has....in a capitalist reality, profit and it's determination will always define reality.

The reason why MM/DD/YYYY is used everywhere is to prevent errors. For example, when you say your birth date to a nurse at a hospital to confirm you are who you are, you're going to say it as "July 8, 2017," or "seven, eight, seventeen."
You're trying to convince me that nurses are retarded and have a 2-digit buffer? :eek:

In Poland we would say "8th of July, 2017" and yet we write 2017-07-08. It's really possible!

Pretty much. Mind you that's really out there so far it's not even funny as well, I just said it was more realistic than a "currency-free society"
It's an awful vision. Just awful. Have you thought this through? :)

I mean: the world when you can't borrow money, but can only spend what you were paid for your work... how would that even work in XXI century?
How would you pay for any kind of training (from e-learning to PhD) that is supposed to let you earn more in the future?

Removing banking from the system takes as back to times of very strict social segmentation. Times when you really had almost no chance of becoming better educated and richer than your parents.

Last edited:
Reactions: bug

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
In Poland we would say "8th of July, 2017" and yet we write 2017-07-08. It's really possible!
Well that's just weird.

Never heard anyone saying a date in numbers only.
Never heard of 9/11?

Anyway. That's how we do it. When asked for date of birth especially.

You're trying to convince me that nurses are retarded and have a 2-digit buffer?
I don't even understand what you mean by that. But like I said. That's how we do it. For date of birth we are expected to state it numerically as DD/MM/YYYY(typically just DD/MM/YY). If you don't then you're the one who's retarded. Because that's not how we're expected to do it. So much so that if you were to state it numerically as MM/DD/YYYY(or MM/DD/YY), or any other numerical way other than DD/MM/YYYY(or DD/MM/YY), then you've technically just lied about you're date of birth.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Never heard of 9/11?

That, I've heard. What I've never heard is 9/11/01. I don't know all the languages on Earth, but from those I do know, none has this inversion. Which is what makes it awkward, that's all.

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
What a crock. How can one not expect anonymous, non regulated currency to be used for nefarious purposes?

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
We should really thank all those dedicated crypto mining factories in China, Island, US, or Korea for destroying any chance the normal average Joe would make any substantial profit with a PC only.
As you said the human greed is the worst enemy of humanity.
https://bitcoinworldwide.com/mining/china/

This guy here is paying 1million Euros/moth electricity cost only...: Imagine the profit.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It's an awful vision. Just awful. Have you thought this through? :)

I know. I wasn't the one arguing for it.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
" It has become that way due to human greed ... "

Problem solved...

just wait till tax policy hit all those crazy mining stuff..

I can't effort for it honestly, but I hate it so much at the same time..

I remembered when folding at home came, and it much better for all purposes..

#HumanGreed