• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with GPU P-State bug

FNSaver

Hello guys,

I'd like to thank everyone beforehand for reading. I'm bolding some words to make it easier to skim through.

I have an ASUS G750JZ laptop with 4GB GTX 880M. Before this one I had never encountered any problems with the laptop or the GPU and it's quite weird and I am running out of patience. Basically, what happens is that whenever there is no monitoring software running which shows the clocks, the GPU runs at P-State P0, which means it's running at the max clocks. This happens even on idle. However, as soon as I run any monitoring software such as GPU-Z, HWInfo or Nvidia Inspector, the clocks go back to normal and the GPU idles normally. The P-State goes back to P8 - the state it should be when it's idle.

I have tracked GPU usage using Process Explorer and there is no difference in GPU usage with or without a monitoring software running. At idle, the only two processes which show GPU usage are csrss.exe and dwm.exe which are both Windows processes. I'm dying for a solution for this because I bought the machine while I was working in a different country where I made more money, and it's impossible for me to replace it or get something that's nearly as good with my current wages.

The troubleshooting processes I went through have been going through countless different driver versions using DDU and 2 clean Windows reinstalls.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

PS: Have never used any modded drivers.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Hello guys,

I'd like to thank everyone beforehand for reading. I'm bolding some words to make it easier to skim through.

I have an ASUS G750JZ laptop with 4GB GTX 880M. Before this one I had never encountered any problems with the laptop or the GPU and it's quite weird and I am running out of patience. Basically, what happens is that whenever there is no monitoring software running which shows the clocks, the GPU runs at P-State P0, which means it's running at the max clocks. This happens even on idle. However, as soon as I run any monitoring software such as GPU-Z, HWInfo or Nvidia Inspector, the clocks go back to normal and the GPU idles normally. The P-State goes back to P8 - the state it should be when it's idle.

I have tracked GPU usage using Process Explorer and there is no difference in GPU usage with or without a monitoring software running. At idle, the only two processes which show GPU usage are csrss.exe and dwm.exe which are both Windows processes. I'm dying for a solution for this because I bought the machine while I was working in a different country where I made more money, and it's impossible for me to replace it or get something that's nearly as good with my current wages.

The troubleshooting processes I went through have been going through countless different driver versions using DDU and 2 clean Windows reinstalls.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

PS: Have never used any modded drivers.
What driver version you running on the GTX? Welcome to TPU :lovetpu:
EDIT also be sure you have installed your motherboard drivers after installing the OS! Start with the chipset driver then reboot and install the rest of the mobo drivers. Your GPU should be using Nvidia driver version V9.18.13.3302.02

Last edited:

FNSaver

Thank you :) I'm currently running 364.72. I reverted to these because I had it on when I first bought the computer last year and they always worked well for me. Plus, the latest versions have telemetry and that's one thing I don't need.