• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hector says: Intel is a monopoly, Microsoft isn't

Nyte

Processor i7 x980
Motherboard Asus SuperComputer
Memory 3x 2GB Triple Channel
Video Card(s) 2x Tahiti
Storage 2x OCZ SSD
Display(s) 23 inch
Power Supply 1 kW
Software Win 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores Very high!
In a keynote address this morning to the American Antitrust Institute in Washington, AMD CEO Hector Ruiz gave attendees what he described as "an idea of what it's like to do business day in and day out when you are competing against an abusive monopolist." Although he also invoked the phrase "illegal monopoly," he left a convenient 846-word buffer zone between that phrase and his first invocation of the term "Intel."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I think someone's a bit confused...

For once its not me.

Although I do have to say microsoft is quickly losing their death grip on the market.

The whole marketing lawsuit is cool and all, but AMD's slacking...

and they're getting a beating for it..

Last edited:

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
WTF? Intel is less of a monopoly than M$ however you look at it - after all, a monopoly is judged based on market share, with M$ being above 90%.

WTF? Intel is less of a monopoly than M$ however you look at it - after all, a monopoly is judged based on market share, with M$ being above 90%.

How does MS have a monopoly? There are plenty of alternatives and they aren't forcing us to use their stuff. The fact that many companies make programs for Windows and not for the alternatives isn't their doing.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910

No it is not.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:+monopoly&btnG=Google+Search

A market type in which there is a sole supplier of a good, service, or resource that has no close substitutes and in which there is a barrier preventing the entry of new firms into the industry.

A monopoly is caused when one is able to stamp out competition.

While market share is a "value" to how much competition is there, theres much more to it.

If you were to have 100% of the furby market, it is not technicly a monopoly.

Now, if you were to sell furbys in every store and disallow every store to sell a competitor, that is then in turn a monopoly.

oldcrank

Standards

I've been around so long that I can remember when Microsoft operating systems didn't dominate the market. The closest thing to a non-proprietary standard operating system was CP/M from Digital Research. The biggest selling computers -Apple, TRS-80,ect.-all used their own proprietary systems. Nothing for one computer would run on anything else. It sucked! What everybody wanted was a de facto standard, so that you could buy or write software that would run on anycomputer. The application software people were dying for it. Now we have it because of Microsoft's market dominance, starting with MS-DOS. When I remember the way that things were, the last thing that I want to do is go back to competing systems. I just wish Microsoft didn't write such huge systems. I wish that they would hire some good Assembly language programmers.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I've been around so long that I can remember when Microsoft operating systems didn't dominate the market. The closest thing to a non-proprietary standard operating system was CP/M from Digital Research. The biggest selling computers -Apple, TRS-80,ect.-all used their own proprietary systems. Nothing for one computer would run on anything else. It sucked! What everybody wanted was a de facto standard, so that you could buy or write software that would run on anycomputer. The application software people were dying for it. Now we have it because of Microsoft's market dominance, starting with MS-DOS. When I remember the way that things were, the last thing that I want to do is go back to competing systems. I just wish Microsoft didn't write such huge systems. I wish that they would hire some good Assembly language programmers.

Thing is now, its almost trivial to make a lot of programs cross platform :)

oldcrank

Good point, Dippyskoodlez. The compilers are vastly better now. There were no globally optimizing compilers in the era that I spoke of. Thanks for pointing it out.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
i don't think Intel is complete monopoly, although they were trying to make their biggest clients to buy only Intel, I still hope AMD will get something from it :D

shmig

You are all missing the importance of an "illegal monopoly". Your local cable provider is most likely a monopoly. That radio-station company owned by Disney is a monopoly. The electrical company, even if owned by the city/county/state is a monopoly. Anti-trust laws are not there to combat monopolies, but to assure that no company acts in a monopolistic-way. That's it. So, essentially, as long as a majority share of the market is owned by one company, and that company is taking advantage of this position at the expense of its competitors or its clients it is an "illegal monopoly". Microsoft is not a good example of this. The fact that there are all these baby-bell companies is a good example. I have not read what this guy talked about, but I bet there is alot more to it than on the surface. Here's a hunch: Intel recently decided to delve into graphics cards. This is a problem because they already have a 1-up on precessor designing and scale of production, and that is also the other major component of the AMD/ATI company. AMD is already losing tons of money because of this merger, and Intel's decision to enter this market could potentially sink AMD before they've even finished merging their checkbooks with ATI. This in monopolistic, and is essentially independent of Intel's majority share in processors.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
What does this say for AMD's new CPU line by years end :rolleyes:

:shadedshu

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Intel is not a monopoly. You can just as esily buy an AMD 6000+ as you can an INTEL E6600. Microsoft is more of a monopoly because everyone makes new drivers and hardware for windows XP and VISTA, you hardly ever see any new stuff for LINUX or OSX.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
What does this say for AMD's new CPU line by years end :rolleyes:

:shadedshu

Means they're too busy with all their lawyers to care. :shadedshu

Intel is not a monopoly. You can just as esily buy an AMD 6000+ as you can an INTEL E6600. Microsoft is more of a monopoly because everyone makes new drivers and hardware for windows XP and VISTA, you hardly ever see any new stuff for LINUX or OSX.

Again, you still don't understand the monopoly concept.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think he might be right in a sense. But I dont knock Intel for what they are doing. While the opponent is down, kick them. Its business 101 pure and simple. They have a proc that is whooping AMD. AMD, for awhile was whooping Intel. Now, they arent as powerful. Thats AMDs fault for resting on its laurels. Take a page from Intel, as they did you AMD, and rectify it.

XooM

Processor Athlon 64 3800 x2 Windosr @ 2.65 (and rising)
Motherboard BIOSTAR TForce 550
Cooling Custom Liquid (WMD20RLZT, Swiftech STORM, 2-302 w/ custom shroud, 2x sanyo denki)
Memory Patriot PDC22G5300LLK
Video Card(s) Sapphire x1900GT
Storage 1x maxtor 40gb, 2x hitachi T7K250 160gb drives RAID 0, 1x 160gb Spinpoint
Display(s) 2x 17" CRT (dells; one from 1998, one from 2001) at 1600x1200 each
Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Seasonic S12 600watt
Software WinXP SP2, Folding@Home, Battlefield2, etc
If anything, i suppose apple is more monopolistic than microsoft... OSX requires apple hardware, but windows merely requires x86 hardware. Additionally, more hardware and interfaces of apple's are proprietary to apple than with microsoft, since apple controls both the hardware and software end of things.

3991vhtes

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS A8V-VM SE
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB DDR400
Video Card(s) DiamondViper Radeon X1650PRO 512MB PCI-e
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA
Display(s) Acer AL2002W 20" LCD Widescreen
Case cheap
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster
Power Supply 500 watt
Software Vista Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 4.1 Vista index
I agree with XooM....apple os's require APPLE COMATIBLE hardware. whereas windows is extremely universal

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
i feel this is more AMD trying to deflect its failings on rival, if the didnt try to create a prestige with the X2 chips making them more expensive than the weaker but cheaper pentium d chips they would still be in pole position right now, Lets just hope with quad core chips they don't try to adopt the same approach once more.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
If anything, i suppose apple is more monopolistic than microsoft... OSX requires apple hardware, but windows merely requires x86 hardware. Additionally, more hardware and interfaces of apple's are proprietary to apple than with microsoft, since apple controls both the hardware and software end of things.

What?

Just because they make an operating system in NO WAY delegates one must make it work on everything.

If thats true, then why doesn't windows work on my POWERBOOK?

Thats not even close to what a monopoly is...

Apples tight control is about controlling their product, not their market.

Now, if apple had as much market share as microsoft and dominated things with an Intel CPU and never used AMD, that would maybe fit the bill.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
i cant see how intel has a monopoly at all myself, just over a year ago (prior to c2d's release) the majority of gaming enthusiasts were all using amd chips, were they forced to change to intel?? no

shmig

Here is an example of why microsoft is being considered a monopoly: Google is complaining that the search engine built into vista is 'hardwired' so that at no point can the user choose an alternative search engine. This is monopolistic because google is unable to provide their product to vista users because microsoft won't let them. The use of IE in windows can still be considered monopolistic because you can never truly remove it from your computer, but mostly because you cannot update your version of windows without it. They are forcing you to choose their product.

Rockefeller was accused of monopolistic practices by setting prices so low that it was impossible for his competition to stay in business without losing money. It was claimed that Rockefeller could do this because he controlled such a large portion of the market and had so much money to work with that he could accept temporary losses (that's right, they said he was losing money to make this work) until his competition was forced to sell their company to him. This, in fact, is logically impossible and untrue, but that was the claim.

Now, AMD controls something like less than 5% of the processor market and has been in 2nd position for.... well, ever. Arguably, ATI was never controlling GPU market sales either. Merging the two companies actually seemed like a good idea: share resources to cut costs and so on. Now, IF Intel chose to enter the GPU market because of this merger, with the intent on forcing AMD out of one or both markets, then they are most likely (if not undoubtedly) acting in a monopolistic way that would violate anti-trust laws. Keep in mind, I still haven't read this speech, and I'm no lawyer. But that's the logic I see. Hopefully this clarifies what this guy from AMD is claiming.

To answer an early question about Microsoft and monopoly, I believe that Microsoft received that title when they tried to purchase 49-51% of Apple a while back. At that point Microsoft would have been in control of the only operating systems really used (by the general public, people). Had the government not gotten involved I think they would have pulled it off as well.

At this point I disagree with the Intel monopoly acusation. AMD needs to work on their products, at this point I won't have anything made by them in my next system :(

XooM

Cooling Custom Liquid (WMD20RLZT, Swiftech STORM, 2-302 w/ custom shroud, 2x sanyo denki)
Storage 1x maxtor 40gb, 2x hitachi T7K250 160gb drives RAID 0, 1x 160gb Spinpoint
Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
What?

Just because they make an operating system in NO WAY delegates one must make it work on everything.

If thats true, then why doesn't windows work on my POWERBOOK?

Thats not even close to what a monopoly is...

Apples tight control is about controlling their product, not their market.

Now, if apple had as much market share as microsoft and dominated things with an Intel CPU and never used AMD, that would maybe fit the bill.

my point wasn't about the OS; it was more about the OS, hardware, and hardware interface package, including various apple-produced accessories. It is less prevalent today, as they use more standard hardware now, but video cards used to have to be built specifically for apple computers; RAM was apple-specific... hell, iPods used to require apples. Firewire?

The entire issue is reflected onto the iPod/iTunes/iTMS DRM lock-in. So you bought all your music on iTMS and it's DRM-addled? Now you can only ever use an iPod or other apple-branded device.

How is that not monopolistic? It's exactly what the massive trusts of old did, controlling every aspect of production from raw materials to finished goods, though from a consumer's angle.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
How is that not monopolistic? It's exactly what the massive trusts of old did, controlling every aspect of production from raw materials to finished goods, though from a consumer's angle.

How is it not monopolistic?

It doesn't fit under any of the defining terms of monopoly.

Apple is not paying walmart to not sell zunes.

Apple is not paying napster to keep a USELESS drm on their products.

Apple is NOT paying dell to provide handfuls of useless software on top.

Apple is winning market share because their product is BETTER.

That is what capitalism is BASED AROUND.

This is how other companys are SUPPOSED to be hurt.

And in turn should create a BETTER product than apple to SELL it.

learn how capitalism is supposed to work, then learn what a monopoly means.

Its no different from the GAME monopoly.

You own everything. But thats half the game.

The other half of the game is making everyone else run out of money.

You can only do this by FORCING them out of the game.

This is where the similaritys end, though.

In the US, you are perfectly able to control an entire market as long as you don't FORCE people out of the market. If they just can't make a dent in the market because your product is multitudes better, then bummer. Not your loss.

Thats how it works, and thats what they enforce.

Now if apple were to pay dell to sell -only- os x on their machines, to keep windows OUT... that would be a monopoly.

(do note, this is what microsoft does, and this is what AMD is accusing Intel of doing.)

XooM

Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
Apple has erected barriers to entry around its market share, in the form of the linking of iTunes, iPod, and iTMS. By allowing music purchased through iTMS to ONLY play in iTunes and on an iPod, it bars consumers from competitors' products, unless they wish to repurchase their music library. Additionally, users are forced to use iTunes versus other applications (such as WMP10/11, winamp, etc) for their music library and music organization, as it is the only way to get music onto an iPod (again, ignoring various hackery and DIY efforts)
It is not the old model of the monopoly to be sure, but it's still monopolistic.

On a side note: apple is winning because their marketing is better; it has nothing to do with the product they're selling.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Apple has erected barriers to entry around its market share, in the form of the linking of iTunes, iPod, and iTMS. By allowing music purchased through iTMS to ONLY play in iTunes and on an iPod, it bars consumers from competitors' products, unless they wish to repurchase their music library. Additionally, users are forced to use iTunes versus other applications (such as WMP10/11, winamp, etc) for their music library and music organization, as it is the only way to get music onto an iPod (again, ignoring various hackery and DIY efforts)
It is not the old model of the monopoly to be sure, but it's still monopolistic.

On a side note: apple is winning because their marketing is better; it has nothing to do with the product they're selling.

Odd.

All of my itunes library that I purchased are MP3's.

Wheres the anti-competition?

Its locked down, because thats the only possible way for it to actually remain a DRM. I think that argument could hold a very strong case in court.

And theres always CD's. Napster. What about napsters DRM? prevents me from using it on my ipod. WAAAH.

Apples business model for selling music is the only successful one.