• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Navi" GPU by Q3-2018: Report

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD is reportedly accelerating launch of its first GPU architecture built on the 7 nanometer process, codenamed "Navi." Graphics cards based on the first implementation of "Navi" could launch as early as by Q3-2018 (between July and September). Besides IPC increments with its core number-crunching machinery, "Navi" will introduce a slew of memory and GPU virtualization technologies.

AMD will take its multi-chip module (MCM) approach of building high-performance GPUs a step further, by placing multiple GPU dies with their HBM stacks on a single package. The company could leverage its InfinityFabric as a high-bandwidth interconnect between the GPU dies (dubbed "GPU module"), with an I/O controller die interfacing the MCM with the host machine. With multi-GPU on the decline for games, it remains to be seen how those multiple GPU modules are visible to the operating system. In the run up to "Navi," AMD could give its current "Vega" architecture a refresh on a refined 14 nm+ process, to increase clock speeds.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
No way this is coming out by Q3 2018. Maybe a working ES by Q3 2018. Maybe. AMD pulling the wool over people's eyes again, that's been their strategy for quite some time. But I guess they need something new to get their fanbase hyped again after Vega failed hard. Infinityfabric,HBM2 and all their fancy features will always fall short until they do something to come up with a power efficient architecture that can achieve higher clocks without pulling ridiculous amounts of power.

btw this is a nvidia slide ;)

Last edited:
System Name Pap1er
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4000 MHz
Motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSport One - Red
Memory Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3333MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE RX VEGA 56
Storage WD Blue SN500 NVMe 250GB / WD20EURS @ 2TB
Display(s) LG 29UC88 Curved UltraWide Monitor
Case Corsair 230T Graphite Series - Orange
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Creative Sound BlasterX Siege M04 Gaming mouse
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No way this is coming out by Q3 2018. Maybe a working ES by Q3 2018. Maybe. AMD pulling wool over people's eyes again.

Is it better now? :) :D
AMD slide.png

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
AMD is reportedly accelerating launch of its first GPU architecture built on the 7 nanometer process, codenamed "Navi." Graphics cards based on the first implementation of "Navi" could launch as early as by Q3-2018 (between July and September). Besides IPC increments with its core number-crunching machinery, "Navi" will introduce a slew of memory and GPU virtualization technologies.

AMD will take its multi-chip module (MCM) approach of building high-performance GPUs a step further, by placing multiple GPU dies with their HBM stacks on a single package. The company could leverage its InfinityFabric as a high-bandwidth interconnect between the GPU dies (dubbed "GPU module"), with an I/O controller die interfacing the MCM with the host machine. With multi-GPU on the decline for games, it remains to be seen how those multiple GPU modules are visible to the operating system. In the run up to "Navi," AMD could give its current "Vega" architecture a refresh on a refined 14 nm+ process, to increase clock speeds.

So they took a look back at the Capsaicin slides and came up with a headline for you to click.

AMD did have a wide frame time to guess at all this.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
No way this is coming out by Q3 2018. Maybe a working ES by Q3 2018. Maybe. AMD pulling the wool over people's eyes again, that's been their strategy for quite some time. But I guess they need something new to get their fanbase hyped again after Vega failed hard. Infinityfabric,HBM2 and all their fancy features will always fall short until they do something to come up with a power efficient architecture that can achieve higher clocks without pulling ridiculous amounts of power.

Actually Vega is quite power efficient. If you look at GamersNexus, they did a video where they compared Vega to the Fury X and Clock for Clock Vega is significantly more power efficient. In fact I managed to get my hands on a Vega 56 to test this. I flashed the Vega 64 bios onto the card and lowered the voltage to 950mv and left everything else alone. I was getting Vega 64 performance for 80 watts less. The card doesn't consume much more than a GTX 1080 and is on par performance wise. 70c max on the stock blower cooler. There are plenty of other reports of Vega undervolting as well. AMD simply shipped the card a bit too early with too high stock voltage which made them look like they were power suckers.

Also, how can infinity fabric fall short when it's already very well proven in Ryzen? Everyone already knows it's good shit.

You're not getting this. Navi is FAR more feasible than Vega. Vega is a MASSIVE chip. Massive chips are expensive, hard to produce and with low yields.
Why do you think there are no shortages of Ryzen CPU's? It's because they are "glued" together using smaller cores that are cheaper, easier to make and with excellent yields. They have experience with Infinity Fabric already on Ryzen, so if they say Navi comes in Q3 2018, I find that perfectly reasonable timeframe. Hopefully, HBM2 shortages will be fixed by then as well. And this is where HBM2 will come into play. Surface area. For Navi cores, they'll need larger surface for the GPU itself. Which is in a way also a benefit. It's easier to cool larger surface area of GPU than one tiny super hot core. Which is why I think Navi is a great idea if they can make it function.

Last edited:
System Name Pap1er
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4000 MHz
Motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSport One - Red
Memory Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3333MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE RX VEGA 56
Storage WD Blue SN500 NVMe 250GB / WD20EURS @ 2TB
Display(s) LG 29UC88 Curved UltraWide Monitor
Case Corsair 230T Graphite Series - Orange
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Creative Sound BlasterX Siege M04 Gaming mouse
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You're not getting this. Navi is FAR more feasible than Vega. Vega is a MASSIVE chip. Masive chips are expensive, had to produce and with low yields.
Why do you think there are no shortages of Ryzen CPU's? It's because they are "glued" together using smaller cores that are cheaper, easier to make and with excellent yields. They have experience with Infinity Fabric already on Ryzen, so if they say Navi comes in Q3 2018, I find that perfectly reasonable timeframe. Hopefully, HBM2 shortages will be fixed by then as well. And this is where HBM2 will come into play. Surface area. For Navi cores, they'll need larger surface for the GPU itself. Which is in a way also a benefit. It's easier to cool larger surface area of GPU than one tiny super hot core. Which is why I think Navi is a great idea if they can make it function.

I somehow believe that by utilising infinity fabric on GPUs ( I mean larger heat dissipation area) we may see smaller GPU coolers or at least they won't be as noisy as it use to be nowadays. What do you think?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
So they took a look back at the Capsaicin slides and came up with a headline for you to click.

AMD did have a wide frame time to guess at all this.

This looks like another 'fabricated' AMD story, as if AMD have just said this when TT are just making news? We could nip it in the bud and ignore it, otherwise, cue a 100 page thread running into 2019.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Also, how can infinity fabric fall short when it's already very well proven in Ryzen? Everyone already knows it's good shit.
I know, it puzzles me why all Ryzen CPUs are being heavily discounted at retail - their latest and greatest ever - with no successor in sight? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Please enlighten me as to why Ryzen is losing popularity so quickly. I offered to build a Ryzen system for my nephew for his birthday this November. A week later he tells me he wants an Intel system, apparently because his friends laughed at him when he told them he was getting a Ryzen rig. Has AMD lost their mojo this quickly? What gives? What do teenage gamers know about it that we don't?

Do not expect this to be available to the general public.
If the cores will be accessible as indipendent CUs, those cards will be immediately loaded on a 747 parked in the lot outside the fab.

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
You're not getting this. Navi is FAR more feasible than Vega. Vega is a MASSIVE chip. Masive chips are expensive, had to produce and with low yields.
I hope whatever they make actually performs closer to NVidias chips of similar core count... Vega is massive and still has trouble beating a chip 2/3rd of its size, thats not something they should be looking to repeat.

Last edited:
I know, it puzzles me why all Ryzen CPUs are being heavily discounted at retail - their latest and greatest ever - with no successor in sight? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Please enlighten me as to why Ryzen is losing popularity so quickly. I offered to build a Ryzen system for my nephew for his birthday this November. A week later he tells me he wants an Intel system, apparently because his friends laughed at him when he told them he was getting a Ryzen rig. Has AMD lost their mojo this quickly? What gives? What do teenage gamers know about it that we don't?

Well, yes, children want the newest toys don't they?
Nothing new really.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Nothing new really.
Ryzen is new as well...
Children want a bragging right. A name. Like a $1000 iPhone even tho they will only use it for social media and taking selfies, which can be done equally well on a $200 android phone.

So a full year of back & forth trash talking with incendiary news flashes :laugh:

Last edited:
Because it is matured, thick, long and it makes people come money when there is 'Intel inside'!:p

I somehow believe that by utilising infinity fabric on GPUs ( I mean larger heat dissipation area) we may see smaller GPU coolers or at least they won't be as noisy as it use to be nowadays. What do you think?

Not really. The heat output will be the same or possibly even tiny bit higher. The thing is, if you have a tiny hot GPU, you have very little surface area to take heat away and send it to the fins. Because of this everyone heavily relies on heatpipes because they can achieve that well. With massive GPU area, it's very likely that even blower style coolers will again become very much functional and also normal cards with big heatsinks could potentially go back to simple extruded aluminium heatsinks without any heatpipes. Which can mean aftermarket cards that cost the same as reference ones. I mean, if you don't have a single hot spot, any cooler will do. Where with single hot spot, you need sophisticated heat transfer to get rid of it as fast as possible from that tiny spot. So, I think AMD is going to win on multiple fronts. Manufacturing cost of GPU, manufacturing costs of coolers thanks to larger heat production surface.

I just think main problem will still be down to HBM2 availability which is still a turd. But now they'll need HBM2 more than ever, because they'll need larger GPU surface area and they can gain that with HBM2 easily. Second problem here along with availability, HBM2 will be the new hot spot, so now that I think about it, this might be a problem for coolers...

Nothing new really.

I'd be more concerned that all he got out of it was polling children on their CPU preferences

Nephew being laughed at. He jumps to it being AMDs fault and asks questions. Never mind that he was the one who offered to build him a AMD system in the first place putting his nephew in this situation.

I'd teach him not to give in to peer pressure and not cave in to children making fun of him.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Oh yes, the anti-AMD shill offered to build his imaginary nephew an AMD system. That's not even the funny part, the funny part is that you are making YOUR rig building decisions based on the bulling of school children.

"I know, it puzzles me why all Ryzen CPUs are being heavily discounted at retail "

?? Define heavily discounted. Or perhaps I should show you a list of Intel CPU prices drops recently to show you the meaning of heavily discounted. I can guarantee that Intel's processors have been discounted much more.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I hope whatever they make actually performs closer to NVidias chips of similar core couny... Vega is massive and still has trouble beating a chip 2/3rd of its size, thats not something they should be looking to repeat.

Well yes, that's because Vega has HBM on the GPU. Not really a fair comparison since Nvidia GPUs do not integrate memory onto the die.

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
Well yes, that's because Vega has HBM on the GPU. Not really a fair comparison since Nvidia GPUs do not integrate memory onto the die.
What?

HBM is not on the GPU die for one, and my point really is that VEGA 64 has 4k CUs while the 1080 which it competes with has only 2.5k.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Not really. The heat output will be the same or possibly even tiny bit higher. The thing is, if you have a tiny hot GPU, you have very little surface area to take heat away and send it to the fins. Because of this everyone heavily relies on heatpipes because they can achieve that well. With massive GPU area, it's very likely that even blower style coolers will again become very much functional and also normal cards with big heatsinks could potentially go back to simple extruded aluminium heatsinks without any heatpipes. Which can mean aftermarket cards that cost the same as reference ones. I mean, if you don't have a single hot spot, any cooler will do. Where with single hot spot, you need sophisticated heat transfer to get rid of it as fast as possible from that tiny spot. So, I think AMD is going to win on multiple fronts. Manufacturing cost of GPU, manufacturing costs of coolers thanks to larger heat production surface.

I just think main problem will still be down to HBM2 availability which is still a turd. But now they'll need HBM2 more than ever, because they'll need larger GPU surface area and they can gain that with HBM2 easily. Second problem here along with availability, HBM2 will be the new hot spot, so now that I think about it, this might be a problem for coolers...

HBM2 may or may not be a problem depending on how well AMD has their high bandwidth cache controller working at the time. It's made to allow the GPU to have a much larger virtual address space than actual VRAM it has. So long as your system still has space available in RAM, your GPU should be able to stream data between the vram and system RAM. That's the main reason AMD chose HBM2 for Vega as regular GDDR cannot have the cells ready quick enough for the constant data access required of streaming data between RAM and VRAM. AMD should be able to reduce the amount of RAM they have to put on their cards. The HBCC is actually the foundation for AMD's SSG line of products that have an SSD integrated into the card that acts as VRAM, which allows you to utilize massive assets or datasets.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
What?

HBM is not on the GPU die for one, and my point really is that VEGA 64 has 4k CUs while the 1080 which it competes with has only 2.5k.

Comparing CUs between architectures is like comparing GHz between architectures, worthless.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
So basically we are moving to a multi-core GPU, and AMD is preparing the first 4 Cores GPU. Can we have H.T. with that too?? :roll:

@evernessince
I'm well aware of all that. The fact remains, HBM2 availability is garbage at the moment. It wasn't Vega core that was not available, it was the HBM2 that set back the Vega launch. It has somewhat stabilized now, although Vega isn't exactly a selling hit anymore which explains why availability has stabilized now. Or they solved the availability. One or another. Or mix of both...