• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking Outside the DRM: Denuvo Sues Founder of Piracy Group "REVOLT"

What's so bad about Microsoft's approach? Or others who followed suit.. i.e. The CD-Key/Activation scheme. That's enough to ward off the average pirate. Anything more than that is pretty invasive it seems.

Not sure how to handle movies, but music wise, it seems like whatever Spotify is doing, they've come out on top. Services like this pretty much made music downloading irrelevant in my eyes.. personally (legit or piracy).
Throwing it in the trash where DRM belongs :p? Not many people have disc drives at all these days, let alone a BD drive. If copy protection got removed from BDs I doubt it'd affect anything other than making customers happier.

I think it all stems from the companies wanting absolute control and having a scapegoat to throw at shareholders. We've seen how long it's taken them to accept streaming services and they still have issues with region blocks.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Throwing it in the trash where DRM belongs :p? Not many people have disc drives at all these days, let alone a BD drive. If copy protection got removed from BDs I doubt it'd affect anything other than making customers happier.

I think it all stems from the companies wanting absolute control and having a scapegoat to throw at shareholders. We've seen how long it's taken them to accept streaming services and they still have issues with region blocks.

I have a BD drive.. a 4k BD drive sadly (which is a pain in the ass to even get to work). But yeah, I understand it's niche. I would just toss it, if it didn't have cool writing capabilities. I don't make much use of it, but it can burn 100GB BD-XL discs. Which is cool just to say I have it, I guess lol.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Seems like we're getting caught up in semantics at this point. Pirate still walks away with product without paying the creator for said product. Pirate gets free item, creator loses a sale. Still seems a lot like theft. While I won't outright ignore the "lighter side" to piracy, as has been covered already, ...
The assumption of a lost sale has already been disproven multiple times... even by personal sales of a commenter on this thread. This thread is off the rails and ended about piracy and not drm and reverse engineering and the right to fair use being blocked by drm and DMCA. The right to use what you paid for is enabled by the cracking of drm. Otherwise when their servers go down, your purchase is no longer able to be used... THAT is theft.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
The assumption of a lost sale has already been disproven multiple times... even by personal sales of a commenter on this thread.

Correct, and I myself am one of those commentators you've mentioned, who has previously pirated something and then since bought it. However, even I can't pretend that people exist who pirate stuff and then still don't buy it.

This thread is off the rails and ended about piracy and not drm and reverse engineering and the right to fair use being blocked by drm and DMCA. The right to use what you paid for is enabled by the cracking of drm. Otherwise when their servers go down, your purchase is no longer able to be used... THAT is theft.

And I'm completely against any type of DRM. However, I'm sure you'll find some legal mumbo jumbo somewhere that says you can buy a game, then the servers go down, leaving said game which you bought unusable, and that's completely fine.

Here's a good example of something like that. And one of our favorite players (EA) is involved! So, Battlefield 2142 was released, and many gamers had fun fighting a virtual futuristic war for some time. Then, the servers (Gamespy) went down, and the game was effectively dead in the water. A certain community arises to counter this, offering an installer which redirects the usual connection to the Gamespy servers to their own, enabling people to play the game again. EA had clearly given up on the game; they made no effort to keep it running when the Gamespy servers shut down, but after the alternate servers were running for so long, EA put an end to it (at least that specific iteration) because they also offered the full game files, citing copyright infringement or somesuch nonsense.

What's so bad about Microsoft's approach? Or others who followed suit.. i.e. The CD-Key/Activation scheme.
It limits a users rights in many situations.
That's enough to ward off the average pirate.
No it isn't. Windows is still very easy to crack.

I don't make much use of it, but it can burn 100GB BD-XL discs.
Have the same kinda of drive, of the M-Disc variety. Actually use mine though for data backups of various types. Don't use it for movies.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
It limits a users rights in many situations.

No it isn't. Windows is still very easy to crack.

Well, it would ward me off at least. And I consider myself savvy. Anyone who wants to go any further almost should get a pat on the back for being such a determined cunt. Can't even pay for Windows. lol

Well, it would ward me off at least. And I consider myself savvy. Anyone who wants to go any further almost should get a pat on the back for being such a determined cunt. Can't even pay for Windows. lol
I pay for my copies of Windows. Literally have dozens of COA's and install discs. However there are two of them that have been black-listed by MS. Called to activate and they refuse to explain why or replace them with non-black listed COA's. These are legit product's. So I have little recourse other than to "self-activate". Couldn't care less at this point what the reasoning is, they are my copies of Windows and I have the lawful right to use them. MS wants to deny? Fine by me, I'll use them anyway. Eff them.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I pay for my copies of Windows. Literally have dozens of COA's and install discs. However there are two of them that have been black-listed by MS. Called to activate and they refuse to explain why or replace them with non-black listed COA's. These are legit product's. So I have little recourse other than to "self-activate". Couldn't care less at this point what the reasoning is, they are my copies of Windows and I have the lawful right to use them. MS wants to deny? Fine by me, I'll use them anyway. Eff them.

That's fair. Personally, it sucks that I can't reuse certain OEM copies I've had on other machines. Their only use after awhile is to be thrown away. That's pretty stupid.

I'm just talking about people who'd go out of their way pirating it from scratch.

That's fair. Personally, it sucks that I can't reuse certain OEM copies I've had on other machines. Their only use after awhile is to be thrown away. That's pretty stupid.
I would and have used them anyway. As long as they're only being used on one system, it is your right.
I'm just talking about people who'd go out of their way pirating it from scratch.
And there is a fair amount of it that happens, but there are far more legitimate owners using "self-activation" and straight up "arr-matey" copies then MS wants to admit and all because MS leaves us no other choice. Activation as DRM does not work. It is invasive, seriously inconvenient and creates more problems then it could possibly ever solve.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I would and have used them anyway. As long as they're only being used on one system, it is your right.

And there is a fair amount of it that happens, but there are far more legitimate owners using "self-activation" and straight up "arr-matey" copies then MS wants to admit and all because MS leaves us no other choice. Activation as DRM does not work. It is invasive, seriously inconvenient and creates more problems then it could possibly ever solve.

You can't, if switching from one radically different system to another (especially motherboard changes, of course).

I stopped making that mistake though, and bought retail.

You can't, if switching from one radically different system to another (especially motherboard changes, of course).
Sure you can. When you call MS to activate, they ask if it is only being used on one system. As long as that is true, they activate it for you.
I stopped making that mistake though, and bought retail.
Those black-list COA's I mentioned? Both retail.

I’m with you, don’t like DRM one bit. But to claim that a game having drm is because it is a bad game is lunacy. A bad game is what makes a game bad, not the wrapping. Plenty of good games have unfortunately had DRM.

As to Hellblade, Ninja Theory is far from an unknown company.

I may have put too much cream on the cake by saying EVERY GAME with a drm is bad, sorry about that.

But I never heard of Ninja Theory before. I might be a lil uncultured swine :p.

Unfortunately (or not?) they've been acquired by M$ recently. I'm curious about what will change for them. I really really loved Hellblade. In my top5 easily.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I may have put too much cream on the cake by saying EVERY GAME with a drm is bad, sorry about that.

But I never heard of Ninja Theory before. I might be a lil uncultured swine :p.

Unfortunately (or not?) they've been acquired by M$ recently. I'm curious about what will change for them. I really really loved Hellblade. In my top5 easily.

They're not a cultured company per se. They started on consoles and made Heavenly Sword and Enslaved (Enslaved is on PC.. but Heavenly Sword was sadly a PS3 exclusive).

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Unfortunately (or not?) they've been acquired by M$ recently. I'm curious about what will change for them.
Nothing good, I’m sure. Hellblade only was able to happen because they chose to self publish it. They lived on basically nothing for 2 years and not having a developer breathing down their neck and demanding things which make no sense. Microsoft won’t give them that freedom.

I see you looked them up! I guess you at least recognized some of their games? :D

@StrayKAT dont forget Devil May Cry.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Nothing good, I’m sure. Hellblade only was able to happen because they chose to self publish it, lives no on basically nothing for 2 years and not having a developer breathing down their neck and demanding things which make no sense. Microsoft won’t give them that freedom.

I see you looked them up! I guess you at least recognized some of their games? :D

Microsoft is one of the better publishers around imo. They don't get enough credit for it.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Microsoft is as bad as EA for buying IP and burying them. The only good thing Microsoft does is license IPs they own to developers to make games (MechWarrior, BattleTech, Shadowrun). For every license they grant though, a dozen waste away abandoned.

Microsoft also made a lot of games that were formerly on Windows, Xbox exclusive. Then they do things like lie about Halo and XP compatibility trying to force sales of Vista to play it when all they did was implement an OS check in the game (easily removed/faked).

Considering Microsoft's track record, this is the beginning of the end of Ninja Theory. I have no idea what Microsoft gets out of the deal.

There's really only two publishers I have nothing bad to say about: CD Projekt and Nightdive Studios.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Microsoft is as bad as EA for buying IP and burying them. The only good thing Microsoft does is license IPs they own to developers to make games (MechWarrior, BattleTech, Shadowrun). For every license they grant though, a dozen waste away abandoned.

I don't see many examples of them burying much of anything. Everything under the first party category is recently active. They even issued all of Rare's old stuff.. then gave them freedom to make Sea of Thieves. Forza is still kicking, of course. Age of Empires got a recent remaster. Minecraft is actively developed. They have a keen interest as well in promoting unknown gems and smaller studios (ala Ori and Cuphead). They'll do anything to get attention and try to add value to the Xbox especially, in order to compete with Sony. Destroying things doesn't play to their interests at all.

In fact, I'd say the only recent tragedy with MS games is Halo... and it has nothing to do with MS. Bungie went their own way.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Starlancer/Freelancer is dead (Digital Anvil). Black & White is dead (Lionhead). Fable is dead (Lionhead). The Movies is dead (Lionhead). MechCommander is dead (FASA). Crimson Skies is dead (FASA). Rare has been relegated to mostly just Xbox exclusives since acquisition (after finishing up outstanding contracts), abandoning their roots in Nintendo IPs; from an AAA developer in the 1990s, they're probably not even B today.

At the time of Lionhead's acquisition by Microsoft, ports of Black & White to various platforms were axed in favor of keeping it Microsoft ecosystem exclusive. Microsoft clearly bought Lionhead for the Fable IP (to counter Zelda games from Nintendo) which Microsoft literally beat to death.

In addition to Ninja Theory (Enslaved and Hellblade), Microsoft bought out Undead Labs (State of Decay), Compulsion Games (We Happy Few), and Playground Games (Forza Horizon).

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Starlancer/Freelancer is dead. Black & White is dead. Fable is dead. MechCommander is dead (although BattleTech is similar). Crimson Skies is dead. Rare has been relegated to mostly just Xbox exclusives since acquisition (after finishing up outstanding contracts), abandoning their roots in Nintendo IPs; from an AAA developer in the 1990s, they're probably not even B today. The Movies is dead.

At the time of Lionhead's acquisition by Microsoft, ports of Black & White to various platforms were axed in favor of keeping it Microsoft ecosystem exclusive. Microsoft clearly bought Lionhead for the Fable IP which Microsoft literally beat to death.

In addition to Ninja Theory (Enslaved and Hellblade), Microsoft bought out Undead Labs (State of Decay), Compulsion Games (We Happy Few), and Playground Games (Forza Horizon).

Starlancer is Chris Roberts... that's why it's dead. Microsoft had to twist his arm even to release those. lol. They're nothing like what he promised.. especially Freelancer, which is a piece of shit. It was meant to be his big MMO thing before Star Citizen. It's his own fault it never amounted to anything. And it's why people are trying to sue him now.. because they're now dealing with the same thing big publishers once did.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Microsoft bought out Digital Anvil and took Chris Roberts off the project (2000) half way through Freelancer development (1997 and released in 2003). Freelancer is one of the best games of the early 2000s.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Microsoft bought out Digital Anvil and took Chris Roberts off the project (2000) half way through Freelancer development (1997 and released in 2003). Freelancer is one of the best games of the early 2000s.

Biggest disappointment maybe. You sure you're not being nostalgic? It played like a Tempest knockoff.. like literally, it had the same kind of shoot em up feel as an old arcade game.. and not at all the cat and mouse aspect of a dogfighting game that I expected from him or from space shooters in general. Not to mention all of the world building stuff was removed.. not only was it stripped from it's MMO roots, but it didn't have much of the outside-cockpit life he promised either. And if you've ever played Wing Commander, I'd suggest it. That's what I'd call a great series and when he was on top of his game :)

edit: I should also add that Shadowrun deserved to die. It was meant as a cheap addition to Xbox Live.. a sad fate for such a great franchise. Multiplayer shooter Shadowrun? Really? I'm just glad the actual creator got involved with digital games and made those RPGs we have now. It's what it should have been to begin with.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I probably beat it three times (once with a friend) so no, not nostalgic. There's really only two bad things about the game: 1) the world is stale after the campaign ends (places that were easy remain easy and places that were hard remain hard--there's no scaling) and 2) there is virtually no side missions/objectives because all that content was cut by Microsoft in the name of shipping it. The campaign and combat were fantastic; Star Citizen will be doing fantastic if it even comes to half of Freelancer in those regards.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I probably beat it three times (once with a friend) so no, not nostalgic. There's really only two bad things about the game: 1) the world is stale after the campaign ends (places that were easy remain easy and places that were hard remain hard--there's no scaling) and 2) there is virtually no side missions/objectives because all that content was cut by Microsoft in the name of shipping it. The campaign and combat were fantastic; Star Citizen will be doing fantastic if it even comes to half of Freelancer in those regards.

Yeah, I don't understand that. It was a big disappointment, personally.. and I'm not exagerrating. I've been chasing another Wing Commander all of my life.. and that isn't it. As much as I want to see Star Citizen come to fruition, Freelancer is precisely why I don't get hyped about it. And I think it's sad that you blame Microsoft for rushing.. when it was Chris Roberts' broken promises and flakiness that led it to that state. They simply salvaged what they could.

And yet you still join the hype train on Star Citizen to boot! Believing it was all Microsoft.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Look at it from Microsoft's perspective: they saw Freelancer's potential and were in a position not only to take it from him and reap the rewards of it, but also own it so they could follow up on it. Perhaps even execute Roberts full vision of it in a sequel...that never came. Yes, Microsoft finished Freelancer where it might not have been otherwise which I am grateful for but I am not pleased the Microsoft abandoned the concept entirely and Digital Anvil turned to dust after the launch of Freelancer. The nine year drought is the reason why Chris Roberts was able to raise so much money at Kickstarter. That could have been Microsoft's success story but no, enter Xbox (which had to have been in early prototyping when Freelancer launched) and Microsoft's absolute lack of interest in PC gaming. Xbox was the best thing (for Microsoft investors) and worse thing (for PC gamers) Microsoft ever did.

I'm a skeptical optimist in regards to Star Citizen. That drought left behind by Freelancer is still very much unfilled. Star Citizen promises to fill it. Microsoft didn't and doesn't.

edit: I should also add that Shadowrun deserved to die. It was meant as a cheap addition to Xbox Live.. a sad fate for such a great franchise. Multiplayer shooter Shadowrun? Really? I'm just glad the actual creator got involved with digital games and made those RPGs we have now. It's what it should have been to begin with.
I see the rose-tinted glasses are starting to lift. Microsoft sacrificed so much in the name of pushing Xbox. Spencer has lied so many times about committing to PC gaming. Talk is cheap. Only when Xbox One and Windows share common hardware did Microsoft actually deliver on the promise but it's too little too late. The graveyard is already full of corpses.

Last edited: