• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Chrome 69 Adds Forced Login, Threatens Privacy: How to Fix it

There was a time when Chrome users could be safe and think that what they did in Google Services (Gmail, YouTube, Maps, etc) was separated from their actions in the browser. One thing wasn't necessarily tied to the other, but now things have changed - and without any public disclosure from Google.

Starting with the recently published Chrome 69, if you use this version of Chrome and log into any Google service or site, you will be automatically and magically logged into Chrome with that user account. A systems architect called Bálint disclosed a problem that changes Chrome behavior in a way that could potentially harm user's privacy.

Before Chrome 69, the sign-in into the browser was optional, and it allowed you to have your cookies, history or bookmarks across all the devices on which you used Chrome. It was convenient for many people, but the user had to actually enable it with two steps: logging into Chrome, and then enabling Google Sync in the second place. Even if you were logged into Gmail, you could be using Chrome without being logged at all in the browser (or logged into it with a different user's account, for that matter).

That was the problem according to Google engineers, who have claimed the change in Chrome 69 is due to "consistency" problems. Adrienne Porter Felt, engineer & manager in Google Chrome, tweeted about this and explained that her team made this change "to prevent surprises in a shared device scenario. In the past, people would sometimes sign out of the content area and think that meant they were no longer signed into Chrome, which could cause problems on a shared device".

The change has made a lot of people angry, though. As Bálint pointed out on his analysis, the problem lies with doing things right, and taking away that option from the user has ignited the debate on privacy. Even with Google's best intentions, the change has been seen as the latest threat on a long list of threats Google has made to their user's privacy.

Matthew Green, a cryptographer and professor at Johns Hopkins University, was even more critical about the problem when he wrote "Why I'm done with Chrome". He questioned Google rationale "for why this change was necessary", and criticized the "enormous implications for user privacy and trust" this change has.

Google engineers insist: Sync doesn't automatically turn on with the auto login, so for them the privacy problem is not that big. The problem according to Green is that user consent matters, and for many critics of the change, this is the real threat for a decision that was made to take away user consent and potentially help Google to collect more and more data.

In fact, there's even more to the story: the CTO and co-founder of ContentPass, Christoph Tavan, discovered how when the user makes Chrome clear all cookies, the browser deletes all... except from Google cookies.

Fortunately, users can disable this forced login policy. To do so, you must use Google Chrome flags and change one of the parameters to avoid problems.

The steps are the following:

1. Go to "chrome://flags/#account-consistency"
2. That will show the flag 'Identity consistency between browser and cookie jar' select "Disabled" from the drop-down menu
3. Click on "Relaunch now"

After that, you will be able to keep the old Chrome behavior, and logging into Google services and sites won't log you into Chrome.

Update (09/26/18): Google has announced a series of changes in Chrome 70 to address these issues. A blog post by one of Chrome product managers explains how the next version of Chrome will introduce controls to disable Chrome sign-in, for example. The "Delete All Cookies" option will take care of Google auth cookies too in order to remove then. Finally, they will update their UI to "better communicate a user's sync state".

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Google engineers insist: Sync doesn't automatically turn on with the auto login, so for them the privacy problem is not that big.

“The privacy problem” has never been seen as a big deal for Google. They just like to get sued by the EU, I guess.

Isn't the headline false if Google denies the allegations and explains why it appears you're automatically logged in? Yet the headline is written to make people click only to find out it isn't so cut and dry...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Privacy isn't a feature, its a bug :nutkick:

Sheesh. People care about privacy like they are the most important people in the world! First of all there is no privacy on the Internet, second, what makes you think that one of the biggest tech companies in the world like Google is interested in miserable and worthless works like you?! Or maybe you care about it because you are cybercriminals, terrorists or you sell drugs?

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Sheesh. People care about privacy like they are the most important people in the world! First of all there is no privacy on the Internet, second, what makes you think that one of the biggest tech companies in the world like Google is interested in miserable and worthless works like you?! Or maybe you care about it because you are cybercriminals, terrorists or you sell drugs?

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...lance-privacy-philosophy-data-internet-things

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/privacy/

Have fun. You might learn a thing or two about life. Its not even a discussion really, just get educated.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I don't have a problem with forced login. I have a problem with Google making the change without some sort of user acknowledgment. I really wish years ago I never used gmail. I should have went with something like ProtonMail that was private and unaffiliated with an ad agency...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
The first link you shared contained photo of Snowden, the traitor and fool. You get educated. You are nobody to tech companies to spy on you, paranoid.

Well, it only took you two posts to go straight to ignore ;) Well played, sir! When you're done clicking link one, try the second. It doesn't have pictures, so this may get tough.

I don't have a problem with forced login. I have a problem with Google making the change without some sort of user acknowledgment. I really wish years ago I never used gmail. I should have went with something like ProtonMail that was private and unaffiliated with an ad agency...
Man, you sound like someone who has something to hide. Gmail is one of the most popular email services if not the most popular in the world. I have no issue with Google collecting my data cause I have nothing to hide. I use there service, they collect data to improve my experience. Fair enough. People ARE hackers, terrorists and pedophiles who care about privacy

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Why anyone uses a browser made by a company that sells personal user information for profits is beyond me. Although I didnt know you had to log into a browser (never used it), my distaste for Chrome just increased. Good luck with The Truman Show, owned by Google.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Man, you sound like someone who has something to hide. Gmail is one of the most popular email services if not the most popular in the world. I have no issue with Google collecting my data cause I have nothing to hide. I use there service, they collect data to improve my experience. Fair enough. People ARE hackers, terrorists and pedophiles who care about privacy

its not about whether you anything to hide or not. I enjoy my privacy, does that mean I have something to hide? Not at all.
So, according to your thinking here, I must be lumped into the "People ARE hackers, terrorists and pedophiles who care about privacy" category. ( i will refrain from flaming now...)

I have a solution for this problem; Don't use Chrome. Instead use one of the many Chromium based alternatives such as;
The very excellent Iron which also has a portable version;
https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php
Or Comodo's Dragon;
https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/internet-products.php?track=8992&af=7639

The top of the list for privacy browsers is the Tor Project.

There is also Epic Browser, I am not sure what its based on.

Last edited:
its not about whether you anything to hide or not. I enjoy my privacy, does that mean I have something to hide? Not at all.
If you enjoy your privacy what the hell are doing on the Internet? There is no privacy! Sites collect cookies, services collect data, even social networks reveal importats and private information about people. There is no privacy on the Internet. You probably use Tor, VPN, and tape you webcam as well, ahahah

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
If you enjoy your privacy what the hell are doing on the Internet? There is no privacy! Sites collect cookies, services collect data, even social networks reveal importats and private information about people. There is no privacy on the Internet. You probably use Tor, VPN, and tape you webcam as well, ahahah
ninja posted...
ignorance is bliss eh? obviously you are totally clueless how to protect your privacy and reduce your foot print. But hey, I'm sure no one ever accused you of being intelligent.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Quick, pass the potato chips!

ninja posted...
ignorance is bliss eh? obviously you are totally clueless how to protect your privacy and reduce your foot print. But hey, I'm sure no ever accused you of being intelligent.
I am realistic unlike you. I understand that I am of no interest to companies, government, FBI or UFO. You care about privacy because you think you are some kind of important person, but you are nobody, nothing. Just an ordinary Joe who has gigantic ego to think that he is someone big.

Yeah I don't like this, if I sign into Gmail now at work in chrome, then my employer gets my history, bookmarks, etc. from my personal devices

System Name Liquid 2022
Processor Intel i7-12700k
Motherboard Asus Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Cooling Custom loop with 9x120mm radiator area
Memory Team 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4@4133 C18-18-18
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti on nickel Heatkiller IV block with Aluminum backplate
Storage 10TB SSD: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (OS), Samsung 980 PRO 2TB, ADATA SX8200 PRO 2TB/500GB, 4TB/1TB MX500
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p G-SYNC, Samsung Odyssey
Case Phanteks ENTHOO 719 (grey)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5, Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Cooler Master V1200, custom sleeved white cables
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (maybe 11 soon?)
Yeah I don't like this, if I sign into Gmail now at work in chrome, then my employer gets my history, bookmarks, etc. from my personal devices
I use a dedicated work account with Chrome at work and my personal account when at home. Just keep the two account separated.

The top of the list for privacy browsers is the Tor Project.
I was keeping the focus deliberately narrowed to browsers based on Chromium for compatibility with plugins, addons and whatnot.
However, TOR is a good privacy/security focused browser. It requires a user to follow a specific methodology which limits some functionality. Then there's the problem of site and whole countries actively blocking the entire TOR network. This ultimately makes a "standard" browser far more a viable choice.

I use a dedicated work account with Chrome at work and my personal account when at home. Just keep the two account separated.
Or don't use them outside of work. Other than convenience, there is little reason to login to a browser just to use it. This is an invasion of privacy that goes too far.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

I care about it for human rights, but thanks for the implication.

The first link you shared contained photo of Snowden, the traitor and fool. You get educated. You are nobody to tech companies to spy on you, paranoid.

Snowden may be a Traitor in the eyes of the US government, but that does not change the fact his leaks were acurate and confirmed.

Advertising money is nothing, right? /s

I am realistic unlike you. I understand that I am of no interest to companies, government, FBI or UFO. You care about privacy because you think you are some kind of important person, but you are nobody, nothing. Just an ordinary Joe who has gigantic ego to think that he is someone big.

The only one acting egotistical here right now is you. Please quit the trollish behavior if you can help it.

You probably use Tor, VPN, and tape you webcam as well, ahahah

And you probably think TOR doesn't work for privacy, they have tech that can break VPNs, and tape over webcams can be seen through by magic hacks?

Only one of those may be true... I'll give you a kudos if you can guess which one.

Privacy isn't magical if you understand it. Please, step aside. People with some understanding of the tech are talking.

People ARE hackers, terrorists and pedophiles who care about privacy

Care to PM me your bank info?

Oh, I thought you had nothing to hide?

I am none of the above and would appreciate if you'd stop with the slander.

Last edited:
System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Google could have saved themselves some trouble if they had bothered to add some message explaining all this right into the browser when it launched and adding a configuration choice somewhere visible (Chrome flags are some obscure magic for most people)...

EDIT:

The change discussed here is mostly relevant for people using shared computers (e.g., parents and children sharing one single computer) or for those that do not like Chrome saving certain information. I think that's a legitimate worry.

By the way, welcome to the forums. Should we give you a badge for nearly calling us all criminals from day one? Or for calling us "miserable and worthless works" (I bet you wanted to type worms)?

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Google's going to play a big part in the end times.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Make an alternative account... case closed.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....