• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to understand Ryzen 3000 series boost speed variations

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (387W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.3.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)
I like AIOs but just because I dont want to mess with fittings and this kind of assembly in general. If you dont mind that then go for the custom, I say.

There is already a double mesh setup at the front as it is and surely adding another Very mesh to the front will choke off the air intake entirely?
Being totally realistic Harvey isn't going to be around for that much longer, he was 13 last Oct, he has had diabetes now for 4 years, he has arthritis, he is going blind. 12 is considered a good age for a Labrador so even without all the added medical conditions he is not expected to be around for that much longer, plus making anything these days isn't really too great an idea.

View attachment 141725

I will go with the standard 360 as that has the greater surface area compared to the 280, ‭43,200‬ compared to ‭39,200‬ and standard compared to the LT is 5mm thicker.

My biggest problem, no matter what I go with, will be the fitting. I will either somehow need to cut a large hole in the rad cover of the case, so that it can be fitted in one stage in its entirety, or take the fans off and fit those to the underneath of the fan cover and then the rad to the top.
Either way I will need to cut a hole to allow the tubing / pump through

View attachment 141726

Wasn't so much about the post code, more about the temp probe connector and it's damn bad positioning

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, have figured out a way to do this, due to the 43mm depth restriction.
What I do have in that case is Height at the top of the case - 50mm in height and over 150 width

What I have thought of is this - cut out the main section of the radiator shelf to allow the 360 (or even 280, but I am going for the 360 unless someone can persuade me, as it has more surface area) to drop in complete.
I have ordered some mild steel black angle (20mm x 20mm) to span the gap, screw or bolt that into place with a 20mm spacer in place and then attach the radiator and fans to that.
That will then mean that less than 35mm of the unit will enter down into the case, giving me 8mm clearance still, which will allow the ATX 12Vconnector cables to remain routed as they are now.
This will mean that the top of the radiator will be exactly level with the side venting on the top panel, so ventilation would not be compromised

Sorry for the crap picture, never been any good with paint, heh. Yellow is the section to cut out, to allow the rad unit to be dropped in, red would be the steel angle spanning that the radiator attaches to

View attachment 141755

This shows just How much space there is Above the radiator shelf

View attachment 141754

Thoughts @Zach_01 @tabascosauz @Fry178 ?

Remember though yours does have liquid metal not thermal paste, so that helps somewhat
If I had the tools, I would cut off that cell/mesh grill without hesitation... for maximizing airflow =low fan rpm and noise. And since that would be exhaust, you dont care about dust...

As for liquid metal, because this kind of TIM has high transfer heat rate it keeps the water on a higher temp level. Not too much tho if the rad can dissipate the increased heat transfer rate...

System Name 3900x
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X470 gaming 7 WiFi
Cooling Alphacool XT45 420mm Rad, 3 noctua 140 industrial 2000, EKWB EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 PWM
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair 3200 C16 Dominator Platinum OC to 3733 16-16-16-32-48
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus GeForce® RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung Evo 970 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Intel 660P 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD , Samsung 2TB 860 QVC
Display(s) AOC Q3279VWFD8
Case Thermaltake View 71
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster G6
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W with cable mods cables
Mouse Corsair Dark Core SE & Logitech G815 Keyboard
Keyboard Logitech G815
Software wIn 10 Pro possibly Manjaro at some point
If I had the tools, I would cut off that cell/mesh grill without hesitation... for maximizing airflow =low fan rpm and noise. And since that would be exhaust, you dont care about dust...

I doubt that this case would be overly sellable, as it's already had the PSU shroud cut at to get the GPU to fit vertical anyway.
Doing it that way would be easier for cleaning as well, as it would only require 8 screws removed and then the entire rad could be lifted out with the fans attached.
To me it reads like this. A decent AIO will give respectable performance, an open loop allows you to pick exactly what you want, the best of the best or whatever your wallet can stand.
Plus, I Do like to tinker

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
not mocking your plan.
your money, your decision.

BUT, to me it doesnt makes sense to go custom right now:
- on your first water cooler
- will leave you without the pc for at least one day (believe me)
- even the best block/rad/pump combo will maybe gain 10-20% over the aio
(but even the aio will make a day and night difference over air cooling, especially looking at the gpu temps)
- will cost a lot more "right away", without a day and night difference (vs aio).
you gonna spend at least 250 on a decent loop (i had 255 BP for shopping cart without shipping etc.).

i would go with the 240 LT. has the same pump as the "normal" 240, and can be had for 85 BP,
its a bit more than the components might cost, but you can start right away, maybe 1 h when taking time
on how you want it installed etc.

the rad coming with the alpha cool is good enough, so no need to spend more on a different one.
the pump is good, even if you add another 120 rad (rear of case and include the gpu in the loop.

240 LT "now", then upgrade to an additional reservoir next (if you dont plan on mounting one directly to the D5),
then add the pump and cpu block (as those are on piece on the aio). another 120 rad for the rear (maybe a nice ultra copper "everything"
that you could feed the hot water first.
down the road a gpu block if you want

System Name 3900x
Cooling Alphacool XT45 420mm Rad, 3 noctua 140 industrial 2000, EKWB EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 PWM
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair 3200 C16 Dominator Platinum OC to 3733 16-16-16-32-48
Storage Samsung Evo 970 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Intel 660P 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD , Samsung 2TB 860 QVC
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
not mocking your plan.
your money, your decision.

BUT, to me it doesnt makes sense to go custom right now:
- on your first water cooler
- will leave you without the pc for at least one day (believe me)
- even the best block/rad/pump combo will maybe gain 10-20% over the aio
(but even the aio will make a day and night difference over air cooling, especially looking at the gpu temps)
- will cost a lot more "right away", without a day and night difference (vs aio).
you gonna spend at least 250 on a decent loop (i had 255 BP for shopping cart without shipping etc.).

i would go with the 240 LT. has the same pump as the "normal" 240, and can be had for 85 BP,
its a bit more than the components might cost, but you can start right away, maybe 1 h when taking time
on how you want it installed etc.

the rad coming with the alpha cool is good enough, so no need to spend more on a different one.
the pump is good, even if you add another 120 rad (rear of case and include the gpu in the loop.

240 LT "now", then upgrade to an additional reservoir next (if you dont plan on mounting one directly to the D5),
then add the pump and cpu block (as those are on piece on the aio). another 120 rad for the rear (maybe a nice ultra copper "everything"
that you could feed the hot water first.
down the road a gpu block if you want

I'm not doing 240 anything, nor 280, it'll be 360 or nothing

as they still dont use a D5 as pump, nor is the block the best one,
has the same pump as the "normal" 240

which mate please?
As it sounds to me like one minute you are saying the pump is ok, and the next that its not??

what about their Alphacool Eisbaer (Solo) - 2600rpm - black ?

I just dont see the point in going for less than a 360.
I may decide on their 360 AIO, i dont know.
The problem with that is if i decide to do custom in the end then nothing from the AIO would be used, it would be 'wasted' money. Yes i could use it on something else later on but what im not sure.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
I'm not doing 240 anything, nor 280, it'll be 360 or nothing

which mate please?
As it sounds to me like one minute you are saying the pump is ok, and the next that its not??

what about their Alphacool Eisbaer (Solo) - 2600rpm - black ?

I ain't done a custom loop before, I'm just watching what you do :p

The 2600rpm uses a DC-LT pump. Noise doesn't seem to be too much a problem, but power is. Flow rate seems to be massively decreased from the Laing DDC. Also don't know if the advertised "ceramic bearing" actually does anything for reliability.

Between the DDC and D5, both of which have been pretty popular go-to for years, the DDC flow rate is lower but it is also a more compact product than the D5.

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
I ain't done a custom loop before, I'm just watching what you do :p

The 2600rpm uses a DC-LT pump. Noise doesn't seem to be too much a problem, but power is. Flow rate seems to be massively decreased from the Laing DDC. Also don't know if the advertised "ceramic bearing" actually does anything for reliability.

Between the DDC and D5, both of which have been pretty popular go-to for years, the DDC flow rate is lower but it is also a much more compact product than the D5.

Thing is this, the AIO i could possibly get next week, whereas a custom id have to buy piece by piece, same as i did for the rig. I may Have to, as the custom will take me several months to get the money together and this cpu aint getting any cooler.

I guess i could get the AIO for now, save up the money for the parts for the custom, and then use the rad from the AIO to add in for the GPU.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
the pumps on all eisbaer (except extreme) are the same. only difference is that one has a reservoir on top of the block/pump combo,
so its easier to do flush/refill etc.

the pumps are ok when it comes to quality, but not when compared to power/quality of a D5,
but that costs almost as much as the whole aio, so not really comparable.

flow/power is not an issue. the asetek aios have far weaker pumps and no difference in temp,
the smaller hose diameter (vs custom) is probably helping, and i haven't seen any difference in cooling between low and full speed (eisbaer solo)
(because the bottleneck for ryzen is heat transfer, not the rest of the loop).

get the aio, and if you decide to tinker with it, you can keep the rad/hoses/fans,
heck even the connectors (hose to pump) are standard 1/4G and will fit any pump,
so you really need only a pump/res combo.

and even if you get a D5 and really nice res, should still stay below 250 in total.
thats why i say get the aio (and have proper cooling and lower case/gpu temps now),
and swap parts later.

a gpu block would only make sense if you have stock/FE layout, and plan on keeping the gpu until it dies,
as most blocks are either brand specific (EVGA block for EVGA cards) or only work with Nvidias stock pcb,
and others might have components in the way.

Next time you upgrade the gpu just get something that has an aio already with it,
doesnt have to be connected to the cpu loop (easier if something stops working, you would only need to install an aircooler on the cpu).

edit:
i sold my corsair aio a while back (wanted custom loop), but by chance sold my gpu as well,
so i wasn't able to spend more than 150 on cpu cooler. but with what i saved on the eisbaer (vs custom),
i was able to get a LC 2080, which now stays around 40-50C for most games.

even the best components and the loop costing +250, would have not given me the same temps i have now
(with cpu AND gpu exhausting and dumping the heat outside.

Last edited:
System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
the pumps on all eisbaer (except extreme) are the same. only difference is that one has a reservoir on top of the block/pump combo,
so its easier to do flush/refill etc.

the pumps are ok when it comes to quality, but not when compared to power/quality of a D5,
but that costs almost as much as the whole aio, so not really comparable.

flow/power is not an issue. the asetek aios have far weaker pumps and no difference in temp,
the smaller hose diameter (vs custom) is probably helping, and i haven't seen any difference in cooling between low and full speed (eisbaer solo)
(because the bottleneck for ryzen is heat transfer, not the rest of the loop).

get the aio, and if you decide to tinker with it, you can keep the rad/hoses/fans,
heck even the connectors (hose to pump) are standard 1/4G and will fit any pump,
so you really need only a pump/res combo.

and even if you get a D5 and really nice res, should still stay below 250 in total.
thats why i say get the aio (and have proper cooling and lower case/gpu temps now),
and swap parts later.

a gpu block would only make sense if you have stock/FE layout, and plan on keeping the gpu until it dies,
as most blocks are either brand specific (EVGA block for EVGA cards) or only work with Nvidias stock pcb,
and others might have components in the way.

Next time you upgrade the gpu just get something that has an aio already with it,
doesnt have to be connected to the cpu loop (easier if something stops working, you would only need to install an aircooler on the cpu).

edit:
i sold my corsair aio a while back (wanted custom loop), but by chance sold my gpu as well,
so i wasn't able to spend more than 150 on cpu cooler. but with what i saved on the eisbaer (vs custom),
i was able to get a LC 2080, which now stays around 40-50C for most games.

even the best components and the loop costing +250, would have not given me the same temps i have now
(with cpu AND gpu exhausting and dumping the heat outside.

I'm unlikely to swap the GPU for quite some time as any improvement on it would be £500+ unless AMD do something remarkable, so it is likely that for at least the next year (likely longer), the 2070 super will remain.

It therefore makes sense to me to look to getting the AIO first, then save for a D5 and then get a water block for the GPU, as the D5 and reservoir will be able to handle both GPU and CPU (something that I don't see the pump in the AIO handling That well).

Planned that way I go up in spec in stages, AIO, AIO with better pump, AIO + better pump + GPU waterblock. Each stage will likely be around the £150 mark.

Now, a couple of questions -

I see that the pump connector is a 3 pin,

cables.jpg

I only have 4 pin headers on this MB, so would I need something like this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Zach_01
The Fan/Pump Control mode min BIOS (MIT) I now think is more for the pump than the fans, so i think that on my next boot I will switch it back to auto and let the MB determine the optimal control mode.

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (387W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.3.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)
Sure, why not... I just suggested to "play" with those settings cause you said that the fans was acting kind of wierd and not responding well to custom curves.

3/4pin subject:
That sheet is from the AIO you want? It has adopter? or it just saying adopter the 2 into 1 fan connector?

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
Sure, why not... I just suggested to "play" with those settings cause you said that the fans was acting kind of wierd and not responding to custom curves.

3/4pin subject:
That sheet is from the AIO you want? It has adopter? or it just saying adopter the 2 into 1 fan connector?

Yeah I was only just mentioning it as I had now figured out what the BIOS manual was saying about it

Yes that picture is from the manual of the AIO and the adaptor looks to be only a standard Y splitter

What sucks is that If that adaptor IS needed then the Only place I can effectively get the AIO from is aquatuning, because they are the Only site in the UK that I can find that Phobya adaptor cable.

That sucks because they charge £12 or £25 shipping (DHL or UPS) which of course adds to the price.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
i dont recommend getting a block for the gpu, unless you gonna do some heavy oc.
anything from any brand, no matter if EK/Alpha cool, or AIB partners like EVGA/MSI etc,
will cost about 150 US$ and up, plus hoses and fittings, depending on coverage (vrm/ram) even 200.
outside that, the block will only fit THAT generation, nothing else, so future gpu upgrade will need a new block.

any gpu that comes with it, will usually only be about 100$ more,
it will also be a separate loop (if anything happens to the cpu loop, u can swap that easily for air cooler till its fixed),
and temps will not affect each other (cpu<>gpu), and you dont have to worry about swapping gpus.
selling it might be easier too, lots of ppl i know have swapped for LC cards lately, all using AIO that came with it.
also easier if you have trouble with it, as it would be covered by warranty (of the card),
which isnt common on things "you" installed.
thats also the time i usually sign up for amazon prime (for a month), and look for open box.
if there is any problem with the card, i can return it within 30 days (so far 1 out of 10 had issues, not 100% sure if it was the card).
thats how i ended up with a 2080 (vs 2070S), as i got an open box for 620$ instead of the usual 7-800.
the only downside is those pumps arent silent, but since your fans (rad/case) arent completely silent,
it wont be an issue for you.

no worries about the aio.
the splitter is for the fans, so they run of a single port with same rpm, and it comes with it,
and it fits the 4 pin ports as well.
the pump fan is a regular 3 pin as well, pump is voltage regulated. set with fan profile in bios it works as expected,
no matter if i use silent/normal/manual.

Last edited:
System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
the pump fan is a regular 3 pin as well, pump is voltage regulated. set with fan profile in bios it works as expected,
no matter if i use silent/normal/manual.

But as I said @Fry178 , I have No 3 pin headers on this MB

=========================================================================================

On a different note, i tried out that puter blower just now - a big difference in looks and Noise levels I think

Before and after pics
rad hole 3.jpgrad hole 3a.jpg

rad hole 5.jpgrad hole 5.jpg

Only took 5 minutes as well. To give you an idea of just how powerful this is - I tried it out on the keyboard and as I swept it across the keys, they were being depressed by the blast of air!

Attachments

• rad hole 5a.jpg
    rad hole 5a.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 98
System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
All 4pin will accept and work with 3 pins.

Good to hear that helped

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
@Fry178 what about those headers though?
I only have 4 pin headers in this board, do I need an adapter or what?

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
No, just match the pins so it fits that small lip/tab the headers and plugs have.

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
No, just match the pins so it fits that small lip/tab the headers and plugs have.

i know that the 4th pin is the pwm speed control, so would the board then regulate the speed through the voltage applied then?

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Yup.
Thats really why you have the option in bios to switch.
Auto should work fine, try the voltage setting first.
Unless you see "big" rpm fluctuations on the pump.
Im not using the fans, but they look like arctic/bequiet/noiseblocker, so should work in auto just fine.
Depending on noise, apply a fan curve that peaks at 50C.

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
Yup.
Thats really why you have the option in bios to switch.
Auto should work fine, try the voltage setting first.
Unless you see "big" rpm fluctuations on the pump.
Im not using the fans, but they look like arctic/bequiet/noiseblocker, so should work in auto just fine.
Depending on noise, apply a fan curve that peaks at 50C.

Just looked, The Eisbaer uses the Pure Wings 2 fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might invest in some better fans though before it's fitted, not decided as yet.

DDR5 up to 85% faster!, but likely until 2022

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question time -

This AIO uses Pure Wings 2 fans -
Air Flow @ 100% PWM / 12V (CFM / m3/h) 51.4 / 87
Air Pressure @ 100% PWM / 12V (mm H2O) 1.25

I know there are fans that have better numbers. Just talking efficiency here now, are there better fans that could be got for it, if so, which?

(Remember, I'm totally new to rads etc, so I don't know if there is a point where you can no longer effectively improve the heat loss with a fin density of 15 FPI)

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question time - @Zach_01 @tabascosauz @Fry178

This AIO uses Pure Wings 2 fans -
Air Pressure 1.25 mmH2O
Air Flow 87 m3/h

I know there are fans that have better numbers. Just talking efficiency here now, not cost - are there better fans that could be got for it, if so, which?

(Remember, I'm totally new to rads etc, so I don't know if there is a point where you can no longer effectively improve the heat loss with a fin density of 15 FPI)

I see that the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3 Bionic fan 1900rpm ( 120x120x25mm ) has the following specs -
Pressure: 1,997 mmH2O
Air flow rate: 121.2 m3 / h

the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-2 Bionic fan 1300rpm ( 120x120x25mm ) has the following specs -
Pressure: 1.042mmH2O
Air flow rate: 86.9 m3 / h

the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop X B12-PS ARGB, PWM - 120mm, black Fan -
Pressure: <1.475 mmH2O
Air flow rate: <98.7 m3/hr

But which looks better? If any? And why?

I know that the FPI for the rad is 15, but I do Not know the optimum figures for a fan for it - can any of you help there?

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
I was running all previous LC stuff with normal case fans, either cause the brand didnt have pressure optimized fans at the time (NB/BN), or because i wanted quieter fans.

Right now, my 3600 is at 32C on idle (arctic P12 (0.08 not the 0.3 sone) fans at 600rpm and 70C when at full load and fans at 1100rpm (max), ambient temp is 22C.

So you should be fine with the bequiet fans, even when you use silent fan profile.
I would rather get additional fans (normal P12) and either add them to the rad (push/pull), or better, to put them on any fan openening you have left on the case.

Last edited:
System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloody hell !

Struggling to find a waterblock that fits your hardware? No problem! We can produce very efficient water blocks that are perfectly matched to your hardware.

How it works

1. First check here to see if we already have a cooler for your graphics card.
  2. Fill out this document and wait for our reply and confirmation.
  3. Send us your hardware including customer declaration
  4. It will take up to 10 – 20 working days for us to measure your hardware.
  5. We will send the hardware back to you in the same condition you sent it to us
  6. In return, you will receive the new cooler for FREE. Please note that we reserve the right not to produce single cooler variants. You can, however, decide between the cooler variants that are produced.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Problem is, they have blocks for almost every card :D
Its mainly for "custom" cards (like virtually everything above basic cards with improved heatsink/cooler/power design).

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
I was running all previous LC stuff with normal case fans, either cause the brand didnt have pressure optimized fans at the time (NB/BN), or because i wanted quieter fans.

Right now, my 3600 is at 32C on idle (arctic P12 (0.08 not the 0.3 sone) fans at 600rpm and 70C when at full load and fans at 1100rpm (max), ambient temp is 22C.

So you should be fine with the bequiet fans, even when you use silent fan profile.
I would rather get additional fans (normal P12) and either add them to the rad (push/pull), or better, to put them on any fan openyou have left on the case.

yet it was you that suggested the black noise NB-eLoop® Series ???

I doubt there is enough top room to add a set above as I am likely going to have to raise the rad 1cm or so above the fan shelf as it is (only 43mm clearance), they would likely be choked though as its a glass top with side vents

rad hole 7.jpg

Problem is, they have blocks for almost every card :D
Its mainly for "custom" cards (like virtually everything above basic cards with improved heatsink/cooler/power design).

I checked they don't specifically have my card

1578778527196.png

mine is the OC 1905mhz

and, i dunno quite how @Zach_01 did it, but take a look at the idle lows on this !

lows of 35c!

temps.jpg

And why do 'fine' when for a few quid more there is the potential to keep a lower overall temperature with better fans?
Then maybe look into getting some 15mm fans, as they i think will be the only ones that might fit

Oh and where could i find out how many W each fan header can take? Is there a general rule of thumb or something?

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
I do recommend the noiseblocker, but the arctics are as good, for half/third of the price.
Only if you want higher performance, the NB bionics would do that, while still being quiet, and wouldn't require regular cleaning, as the blades have nanotech preventing dust to stick to them.

I prefer quiet over a couple of degrees less, as I'm already below throttling temps, and even below max longterm temp, so i rather enjoy an inaudible rig.
Sure, if you can get them for a good price, but im done paying +20$ on noctua/NB, wenn arctic gives me same temps (below 1000rpm fans) for 7$/piece (5 pack).

Usually depends in the board.
But with NB/Noctua/Arctic they usually run 0.1 to 0.5A, not something even a "no name" board couldn't handle.
Usually with pumps its different, just check which of you ports support pumps.

Last edited:
System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
I do recommend the noiseblocker, but the arctics are as good for half/third of the price. Only if you want higher performance, the NB bionics would do that, while still being quiet.

I prefer quiet over a couple of degrees less, as I'm already below throttling temps, and even below max longterm temp, so i rather enjoy an inaudible rig.
Sure, if you can get them for a good price, but im done paying +20$ on noctua/NB, wenn arctic gives me same temps (below 1000rpm fans) for 7$/piece (5 pack).
So, can i now starr to learn what i asked please?
Talking effectiveness only what is the point of dimishing returns?
Would either of those two be better than the silent wings? If so which, or both?
I know that with rad fans its about their static pressure but when does enough become too much? Or does it? The silent wings 2 has 1.25, the b12 3 2.o and their ARGB one 1.5 say.
So is 1.5 still good ot is it too much? If not is 2.0 too much and if so, why?