• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High resolution audio via HDMI

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asrock X570 Pro4
Cooling DARK ROCK SLIM, 3 x Dynamic X2 GP-14
Memory Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Zotac Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER Twin Fan
Storage Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB, ADATA 1TB XPG SX8200 Pro, Western Digital 6TB Blue
Display(s) BenQ EW3270U
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout
Power Supply be quiet! PURE POWER 11 600W
Software Windows 10
Hello,
I'm currently using the HDMI output of my graphic card to connect to my AV processor. I would like to send the audio as is, that is, without any pc conversion and instead let my AV processor do its job.
However, I can't send True HD not any high resolution audio format although my videos have it.
There is also a strange option on the pc of sending the audio in 5.1 or 7.1
Now this certainly looks to me that windows is interfering with the sound which is exactly what I don't want!
Is there a way of sending the audio untouched via HDMI?
Should I use the HDMI of my motherboard instead?

Thank you in advance.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Where do you see this "strange option" on the PC?

What audio out connections does your motherboard have? What motherboard?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
My Yamaha AV receiver talks directly to my GPU in Windows 10 and shows up as an RX-V683 in Windows sound settings.
  • If I choose Stereo, it gets 2.0 to the receiver and can use the receivers upmix options.
  • If I choose 5.1 I get 5.1 direct to the receiver and can either use that signal straight to the 5.1 speakers without any further processing (i.e. hear it the way it was mastered), or I can If I turn on additional Dolby/DTS options for further DSP that emulates Atmos/7.1 over my lowly 5.1 physical speakers.
  • If I have ARC for the TV, the sound device in Windows is sometimes shown as the TV instead of the receiver because that's the last audio device in the connection chain, but since the receiver intercepts all the sound and decodes it anyway, it doesn't make any difference. I still get the same surround options in Windows sound settings as per my AV receiver.
Regardless of whether it's Stereo or 5.1, I can still choose formats, and for my hardware, 24-bit 192KHz is possible over HDMI in 5.1 format (not that many audio/video source material is ever that good).

I wouldn't worry about the Stereo/5.1/7.1 settings in Windows. I don't think they're Windows molesting the sound, I think those surround options are shown in windows only if it detects surround-sound hardware (or software, like those virtual surround USB headphones) in the chain. Here on my work desktop, those 5.1/7.1 options don't exist because I only have stereo headphones.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Storage Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB, ADATA 1TB XPG SX8200 Pro, Western Digital 6TB Blue
Display(s) BenQ EW3270U
Software Windows 10
Hi,

audio.jpg

avm properties.jpg

avm rates.jpg

VLC.jpg

All my HW is described in my "System Specs".
I can't connect the HDMI to my motherboard after all because I have already my monitor connected to the Display Port of my graphic cart and this disables the output on the motherboard. I checked the BIOS and there nothing I can do otherwise...
My AV receiver is an Anthem AVM 50v and also shows up this ways on windows devices.
I'm using VLC for playing video (please see my settings).
The best I can is see 5.1 DTS on my AV receiver but when I play a bluray disc with High Definition audio, also connected via HDMI to another input of my Anthem, I can see True HD on the display.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ah, you want bitstreaming of source material only; That makes more sense now. I'm not keen on bitstreaming in Windows because it means that I have to manually change it back to Stereo for every single time I want to use bitstreamed audio, or live with the fact that 90% of the time, I'm running my 5.1 system in stereo. Plenty of applications and games support 5.1 native, rather than bitstreamed, which means I'm missing out of surround sound by switching back to stereo.

For my Yamaha receiver I need to set audio in windows to Stereo in order to bitstream - at least, I think that's what you mean you want. - it's a hangup/lowest-common-denominator from analogue soundcards I think. It would be less confusing if they labelled 'Stereo' as 'Default' instead, because technically, it's not always stereo - it's simply PCM which can be any number of channels.

The 5.1 and 7.1 options are not bitstreaming - they present the audio system to the application as a 5 or 7 channel device and let the application use each channel for whatever it wants.

There are a few prerequisites you need in order to bitstream that you may need to set too:
  1. Go to BIOS and disable VT-D (Same for Intel, bitstream doesn't seem to work with VT-X either).
  2. Ensure you have the official Nvidia GPU driver package installed, with the Nvidia HDMI audio driver. Windows update ones aren't feature complete and just have a compatibility driver.
  3. Under your device properties, enable exclusive mode. I'm not sure this is 100% necessary but mine works and Exclusive Mode is enabled; I'm not at home to test with it disabled.
1582632219225.png

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
TrueHD is a proprietary Dolby lossless codec. This should not be a goal in itself.

For movies etc, passthrough will send through untouched (usually compressed) audio from the disc, usually one of the Dolby codecs like DTS. When audio is passed through, selection like 5.1 or 7.1 in Windows should not matter.

Since you are already using HDMI for audio from computer to receiver, for games and other computer audio your best bet is simply uncompressed audio. Receivers usually show this as PCM (Pulse-code modulation).

System Name Desktop
Display(s) BenQ EW3270U
Software Windows 10
Yes, I think bitstreaming is what I want. I don't want to do any kind of decoding in windows and want my AV processor to do it instead. So, if my movie is in DD 5.1 or DD 7.1 or DTS-ES or DTS-HD or Atmos or whatever format there is, even 2.0, I want my audio signal to be delivered unspoiled and untouched as it is to my processor because it is capable of decoding it in the best way possible. I guess this is bitstreaming alright.

There are a few prerequisites you need in order to bitstream that you may need to set too:
  1. Go to BIOS and disable VT-D (Same for Intel, bitstream doesn't seem to work with VT-X either).
  2. Ensure you have the official Nvidia GPU driver package installed, with the Nvidia HDMI audio driver. Windows update ones aren't feature complete and just have a compatibility driver.
  3. Under your device properties, enable exclusive mode. I'm not sure this is 100% necessary but mine works and Exclusive Mode is enabled; I'm not at home to test with it disabled.
View attachment 145904

If VT-D is the same as SR-IOV then it is disabled.
I have the latest Nvidia drivers.
I also have those two check boxes.

TrueHD is a proprietary Dolby lossless codec. This should not be a goal in itself.
Sorry, but I don't understand very well what you mean. What I want is if I have a movie (I don't play games) coded in TrueHD that my Av receiver recognizes audio like that. Like I said in the beginning I can never see this format displayed on the receiver like I see it for instance if I play a bluray from my Oppo player which is also connected via HDMI so I think I must be doing something wrong...