• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Passive GPU cooling solution

Poolcoder

So i have a gt 520 2gb asus, and it likes to heat itself too much, it used to get to like 75-80° on stress test, and automatickly downgrade itself, until i got a solution i taped a 80mm fan under it, and temps on max load go around 45-50, plus i can do some oc. Just wanted to share this because its kinda funny lol

Attachments

• Snapchat-972509489.jpg
    Snapchat-972509489.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 216

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Nah man. that aint sh*t. You want to bolt a tower cooler onto that bad boy.

System Name Hp Omen 15 2019
Processor i7-9750H
Motherboard Intel Cannon Point HM370, Intel Coffee Lake-H
Cooling HP THERMAL MODULE N18E G2
Memory SK hynix HMA81GS6JJR8N-VK x2
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design (HP)
Storage Intel Optane H10
Display(s) AUO82ED
Audio Device(s) SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E10)
Power Supply 200w
I did something similar for a 8600 gts that had a massive heatsink (passive cooling) but instead of electrical tape I used 4 long screws as "legs" for the fan

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
So i have a gt 520 2gb asus
If I am not blind then this is the worst heatsink placed on a VGA card, and the one whom paid for it (The VGA ), he did not care that time about the cooling system quality.
I am am writing (commenting ) with positive energy, so the future buyers of newer cards , them to never make a decision due few dollars or Euro price difference.
The VGA cooling system this is a separate product over a VGA card.
I do care of low temperatures too, therefore at my future buy of GTX 1660 Super, I will get the one coming with BEST designed heatsink no matter it final retail price.
In our days it is much cheaper loading a pile of DC fan over one VGA than adding to it a well performing heatsink.

Since 1996, I started engaging with PC modding at the times that the industry of PC cases, this were unprepared to offer relative performance products for Gamers / Overclocker PC.
24 years later the market this is full of offerings for any size of wallet.

Now set the fan at the side... and not under it, the large temperature difference comes from the fact that you are cooling down the temperature sensor and not the GPU.

The OLD Dell PC case this is your major problem, get a modern one.

Poolcoder

If I am not blind then this is the worst heatsink placed on a VGA card, and the one whom paid for it (The VGA ), he did not care that time about the cooling system quality.
I am am writing (commenting ) with positive energy, so the future buyers of newer cards , them to never make a decision due few dollars or Euro price difference.
The VGA cooling system this is a separate product over a VGA card.
I do care of low temperatures too, therefore at my future buy of GTX 1660 Super, I will get the one coming with BEST designed heatsink no matter it final retail price.
In our days it is much cheaper loading a pile of DC fan over one VGA than adding to it a well performing heatsink.

Since 1996, I started engaging with PC modding at the times that the industry of PC cases, this were unprepared to offer relative performance products for Gamers / Overclocker PC.
24 years later the market this is full of offerings for any size of wallet.

Now set the fan at the side... and not under it, the large temperature difference comes from the fact that you are cooling down the temperature sensor and not the GPU.

The OLD Dell PC case this is your major problem, get a modern one.
This is just an old dell which i use for these kinds of testings, its not my main rig and i didnt buy the gpu neither the optiplex i got it for free.