• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arm Co-Founder Doesn't Think NVIDIA Owning the Company Would be in Its Best Interests

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Arm co-founder Hermann Hauser recently gave an interview to BBC where he expressed some concerns regarding the prospective buy acquisition from NVIDIA, which has been in talks with Arm owner Softbank towards the IP-designer's acquisition. As Hauser puts it, "It's one of the fundamental assumptions of the ARM business model that it can sell to everybody," Hauser told BCC, "The one saving grace about Softbank was that it wasn't a chip company, and retained ARM neutrality. If it becomes part of Nvidia, most of the licensees are competitors of Nvidia, and will of course then look for an alternative to ARM."

Hauser doesn't think the NVIDIA deal will follow through due to these aspects of the chip design ecosystem, with many Arm clients - such as Intel, Apple, Qualcomm, TSMC, Samsung, among others - being direct or otherwise indirect competitors to NVIDIA. Hauser thinks that Arm would be much better served through a British government intervention in bringing the company back towards the British fold: "The great opportunity that the cash needs of Softbank presents is to bring ARM back home and take it public, with the support of the British government." The Softbank acquisition occurred back in 2016 and cost the company some $24 billion; however, recent estimates from New Street Research LLP placed Arm's valuation at USD $44 billion if its IPO took off in 2021, and as much as $68 billion by 2025.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Everyone loves Nvidia. I wonder why.....

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Well Nvidia is about as neutral as it gets compared to that lot. Intel hold the x86 license and are happy with their duopoly with AMD whilst also trying to push further into GPU land. Apple compete directly with Samsung and Qualcomm in the mobile market so neither should hold any stake in Arm because the other parties would go into meltdown.

All in all, good to see the UK shake up the tired x86 market.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
First they sold ARM and now thinking to bring it back in post Brexit Britain? :roll:

Intel, Apple, Qualcomm, TSMC, Samsung

They don't use ARM for PC/HPC. More like deep state conglomerate is afraid of Nvidia's domination. /s?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
"Arm Co-Founder Doesn't Think NVIDIA Owning the Company Would be in Its Best Interests"

I could have told you that. :roll:

They don't use ARM for PC/HPC. More like deep state conglomerate is afraid of Nvidia's domination. /s?

Yes they do. In both.

The uncore in all Intel x86 chips has been based on ARM IP since the early days of the Core chips. Many of their iGPUs are based on ARM designs. Intel's newer iGPUs which are in house still contain ARM IP. I'd be very surprised if their new graphics line up don't have significant ARM licensing.

Most of AMD's security stuff on their x86 and graphics cards goes through ARM trust designs.

There are increasing numbers of full ARM (on CPU side) supercomputers. Including exascale designs. Fujitsu's new design is the most powerful / efficient in the world for its workload.

There are very few major commercial compute, graphics, communications or controller chips that don't have ARM IP in them.

They're the most pervasive hardware design IP in the world, and arguably the most influential.

Last edited:
This is just a dance. ARM is hot right now and NVIDIA has given it even more wind. Naturally ARM (Softbank) wants to capitalize on the situation. "Yea, this is not such a good idea" just means "NVIDIA doesn't want to pay us enough money anymore".

But it's probably just British seller's remorse on this one. The Dude has got a point though, that it should just probably remain a pure licensee. That could really be the reason why ARM is gaining this momentum over x86.

Imagine a world with only ARM-compatible chips where it would be easy for everything to work cross-platform. And anybody could make their own ARM-compatible designer CPUs just like now (but people would actually do it). This parallel universe would never exist if any proprietary chip-company ever buys ARM, especially NVIDIA. But any other company that is interested in selling their own produces would be just as detrimental for that.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
But it's probably just British seller's remorse on this one.

It's what we do, we create iconic brands, iconic sports, hell... we create iconic countries, and then send them off on their own and watch everyone fight over them.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
This is just a dance. ARM is hot right now and NVIDIA has given it even more wind. Naturally ARM (Softbank) wants to capitalize on the situation. "Yea, this is not such a good idea" just means "NVIDIA doesn't want to pay us enough money anymore".

But it's probably just British seller's remorse on this one. The Dude has got a point though, that it should just probably remain a pure licensee. That could really be the reason why ARM is gaining this momentum over x86.

Imagine a world with only ARM-compatible chips where it would be easy for everything to work cross-platform. And anybody could make their own ARM-compatible designer CPUs just like now (but people would actually do it). This parallel universe would never exist if any proprietary chip-company ever buys ARM, especially NVIDIA. But any other company that is interested in selling their own produces would be just as detrimental for that.

ARM isn't getting faster at general computing or efficiently, they are RISC designed CPUs that excel at specific tasks VS X86 CISC designs that are good at everything, and also happen to be getting "Acceleration" in the form of RISC hardware.

Designing a ARM cpu for most is simply checking boxes on features. Its ability to power gate and small add in design with small caches makes it power efficient, not some magic that comes with the ARM logo.

That result was from one high performance linpack run using the SVE vector extension hardware that is only used in that chip. By the same thought process the fastest X should also be great at Y, but its not the case.

That result was from one high performance linpack run using the SVE vector extension hardware that is only used in that chip. By the same thought process the fastest X should also be great at Y, but its not the case.
I'm not a chip designer, so this tells me very little. But your argument seems to be similar to a lot of people who say ARM isn't going to replace x86 and I agree with you up to a certain point. Theoretically, it won't replace it because yes, it still has its strengths. But this argument doesn't answer what the actual market will do with ARM. Most normal user applications today are already fitting for RISC architecture. Checking boxes like 4K video and audio streaming, compiling software, video editing etc. If those things are checked, most people will benefit from faster and cooler devices with ARM.

So, it may not replace x86, but how much space will it take from x86 where x86 doesn't make sense anymore? For the average consumer or someone who does certain specific tasks for their work, ARM would be the way to go. And these are most people right there.

Look at how phones have gotten more and more features over the years and more of those boxes checked. At this point, the line between phones and PCs are getting blurrier and blurrier. Nobody is asking for a CISC phone and it has made perfect sense for years to use RISC. It has definitely been already battle-tested and it'll only make more and more sense to switch to ARM as time and development on the right checkboxes progress. If you buy what you need and it checks your personal boxes better than x86, I'd strongly argue most people will buy that and not care that x86 has an advantage at being good for everything. People have specific needs and that's exactly how ARM may make x86 irrelevant or at least relegate it to the ones who really need that advantage of x86 you describe.

Last edited:
Whhaaaaahhhh.... gotta love it when a company goes public and essentially "sells themselves out" to get that fat capitol. Then whine when later shareholders dump them / do whatever to max profit vs. some idealogical ideal they former owners had. That's the trade-off, unless the original owners have some way to keep 51% control somehow that's how the game is played sadly.

That said I'm not sure on the original conditions where when Arm sold to SoftBank, but without that majority shareholding you don't control jack anymore.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I'm not a chip designer, so this tells me very little. But your argument seems to be similar to a lot of people who say ARM isn't going to replace x86 and I agree with you up to a certain point. Theoretically, it won't replace it because yes, it still has its strengths. But this argument doesn't answer what the actual market will do with ARM. Most normal user applications today are already fitting for RISC architecture. Checking boxes like 4K video and audio streaming, compiling software, video editing etc. If those things are checked, most people will benefit from faster and cooler devices with ARM.

So, it may not replace x86, but how much space will it take from x86 where x86 doesn't make sense anymore? For the average consumer or someone who does certain specific tasks for their work, ARM would be the way to go. And these are most people right there.

Look at how phones have gotten more and more features over the years and more of those boxes checked. At this point, the line between phones and PCs are getting blurrier and blurrier. Nobody is asking for a CISC phone and it has made perfect sense for years to use RISC. It has definitely been already battle-tested and it'll only make more and more sense to switch to ARM as time and development on the right checkboxes progress. If you buy what you need and it checks your personal boxes better than x86, I'd strongly argue most people will buy that and not care that x86 has an advantage at being good for everything. People have specific needs and that's exactly how ARM may overtake x86..
There's a slight bias implied here, arm can improve performance yes but, X86 is also improving on efficiency and performance, I don't think arm can catch it for raw general purpose compute personally giving x86 a shoe in for years yet.

There's a slight bias implied here, arm can improve performance yes but, X86 is also improving on efficiency and performance, I don't think arm can catch it for raw general purpose compute personally giving x86 a shoe in for years yet.
This is the big question, but people at Apple seem to think it can and if I'd had to bet on it today, I'm willing to believe them. It could theoretically happen this year when Apple releases its first Mac with ARM. From the rumors I've heard, it will do very well, if not even overcome it and still be cooler and more efficient while doing it. I'm very surprised how people still don't believe this can happen at this point with all the leaks from their developer kits. But people also never believed AMD could overcome Intel and it just took Zen and a few short years to do it.

Last edited:
ARM isn't getting faster at general computing or efficiently, they are RISC designed CPUs that excel at specific tasks VS X86 CISC designs that are good at everything, and also happen to be getting "Acceleration" in the form of RISC hardware.

Designing a ARM cpu for most is simply checking boxes on features. Its ability to power gate and small add in design with small caches makes it power efficient, not some magic that comes with the ARM logo.

PowerPC, MIPS, ARM all have pretty wide applications throughout their lifetime. It's just a matter if you can make it work, hardware and software. I would say the biggest thing having x86 as the popular pc processor is software, legacy crap is the reason why windows is popular, it's also what makes windows bad.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
This is the big question, but people at Apple seem to think it can and if I'd had to bet on it today, I'm willing to believe them. It could theoretically happen this year when Apple releases its first Mac with ARM. From the rumors I've heard, it will do very well, if not even overcome it and still be cooler and more efficient while doing it. I'm very surprised how people still don't believe this can happen at this point with all the leaks from their developer kits. But people also never believed AMD could overcome Intel and it just took Zen and a few short years to do it.
Certainly in some accelerated applications they will shine, they always have, in use some find the limits before others.
Some don't see the limits, like a friend of mine, sold on Apple ,she is truly content with what she's already using.
Apple will just dilute the Mac brand into big performance phones, why have two OS after all.

Some software innovation sound like a dream come true but don't pan out, like steam Os.

moneyman8

why have two OS after all

Yup, developers can create one application and deploy for both Mac and iOS with Apple Silicon in both. Imagine many developers will develop both versions of apps with the same codebase. Then, the OS will become more similar than ever.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Rogue China division problem solved ?

Well Nvidia is about as neutral as it gets compared to that lot. Intel hold the x86 license and are happy with their duopoly with AMD whilst also trying to push further into GPU land. Apple compete directly with Samsung and Qualcomm in the mobile market so neither should hold any stake in Arm because the other parties would go into meltdown.

All in all, good to see the UK shake up the tired x86 market.
When I think of neutral, it means that if ARM gets acquired by Nvidia there should not be any concerns about anti competition or restrictions of IP to licensee. Now looking at Nvidia's historical pattern, they are certainly not a neutral party by any means. Between Nvidia, Samsung, Apple and Qualcomm, if any of these are to acquire ARM, I feel Samsung may be the better candidate to acquire ARM since they are also supplier of many other components to other companies.

Certainly in some accelerated applications they will shine, they always have, in use some find the limits before others.
Some don't see the limits, like a friend of mine, sold on Apple ,she is truly content with what she's already using.
Apple will just dilute the Mac brand into big performance phones, why have two OS after all.
I don't think Apple is so bad. Not sure where you're coming from. To me OSX / MacOS >>>> Windows.

It's unix based, so already much more user friendly in my opinion than what Windows has. But I'm generally a unix / linux guy.

Apple could make something really good with this move, if it pans out. Improve their own products and image and also elevate the industry by showing how to do ARM well in the PC / Laptop sector. So if it really turns out to work better (which Apple is betting on), I think the adoption by others will be very quick.

I don't think Apple is so bad. Not sure where you're coming from. To me OSX / MacOS >>>> Windows.

It's unix based, so already much more user friendly in my opinion than what Windows has. But I'm generally a unix / linux guy.

Apple could make something really good with this move, if it pans out. Improve their own products and image and also elevate the industry by showing how to do ARM well in the PC / Laptop sector. So if it really turns out to work better (which Apple is betting on), I think the adoption by others will be very quick.

The problem is that Apple only cares about their own ecosystem. As you can tell, they have never sold their A series SOC to anyone and will not be selling their ARM based processors for laptop as well. So it makes little sense for them to acquire ARM (at least not as a majority shareholder). They are likely contented being a licensee as long as there is no immediate threat to them. I am pretty sure Apple would have factored in the uphill challenges that awaits Nvidia or any potential buyer by the respective regulators.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Yes they do. In both.

The uncore in all Intel x86 chips has been based on ARM IP since the early days of the Core chips. Many of their iGPUs are based on ARM designs. Intel's newer iGPUs which are in house still contain ARM IP. I'd be very surprised if their new graphics line up don't have significant ARM licensing.

Most of AMD's security stuff on their x86 and graphics cards goes through ARM trust designs.

There are increasing numbers of full ARM (on CPU side) supercomputers. Including exascale designs. Fujitsu's new design is the most powerful / efficient in the world for its workload.

There are very few major commercial compute, graphics, communications or controller chips that don't have ARM IP in them.

They're the most pervasive hardware design IP in the world, and arguably the most influential.

You are dramatically overestimating the use and importance of ARM IP in the x86 space and even then AMD and Intel seem to be capable of doing what ARM can't with IP of their own.

Wow! TPU changed the title from "Disaster" to "not best interest"

I really wonder what interests with Nvidia you have because your choice of word against other brands is so harsh and click-bait while your are being so soft when it is
nvidia.

Last edited:
You are dramatically overestimating the use and importance of ARM IP in the x86 space and even then AMD and Intel seem to be capable of doing what ARM can't with IP of their own.

The x86 fanboy speaks. I haven't overestimated anything. I stated what their designs and IP is used for.

Also, you should take a look at Amazon's latest in-house ARM server chips ... they give Intel an absolute hiding, and beat EPYC first gen in many metrics.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
The x86 fanboy speaks. I haven't overestimated anything. I stated what their designs and IP is used for.

Also, you should take a look at Amazon's latest in-house ARM server chips ... they give Intel an absolute hiding, and beat EPYC first gen in many metrics.

And the ARM fanboy tried his best but failed horribly by comparing AMD's first gen 32 core chips with the 64 core Gravitation. That's with twice as many cores, twice, it better beat first generation EPYC otherwise it would have been absolute garbage.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Look at how phones have gotten more and more features over the years and more of those boxes checked. At this point, the line between phones and PCs are getting blurrier and blurrier. Nobody is asking for a CISC phone and it has made perfect sense for years to use RISC. It has definitely been already battle-tested and it'll only make more and more sense to switch to ARM as time and development on the right checkboxes progress. If you buy what you need and it checks your personal boxes better than x86, I'd strongly argue most people will buy that and not care that x86 has an advantage at being good for everything. People have specific needs and that's exactly how ARM may make x86 irrelevant or at least relegate it to the ones who really need that advantage of x86 you describe.

I think you are missing the point.

ARM, if it doesn't have the hardware to perform X or Y function built in its performance is horrible, or it simply will not run. How many original Arm CPU phones wouldn't run flash despite being used extensively at the time? It run just fine on almost every computer from old to new?

Java was/is another one. Supported on essentially every X86 platform, but the specific hardware had to be added to ARM cpus.

Planned obsolescence by virtue of evolving software. You want to buy a computer that is only good for 2 to 3 years before games, streaming services, applications, etc stop working?