• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD GPU gamers only - your opinion on AMD drivers?

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
Want a good one? 20.10.1 reverted the Vulkan driver from 1.2.149 to 1.2.133. All added extensions between those versions are now gone, lost.

If this is the case, I think you can extract the newer Vulkan driver from 20.9.2 and install it over whatever came in 20.10.1. Please make sure to report this to @INSTG8R and in the AMD Report Tool. Unfortunately I can't test this anymore.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Late to the party but I can comment on Unity/Unreal/Source driver stability for a mix of AMD RX480 onwards and Nvidia GTX970 onwards over a sample size of almost a thousand cards. I can also comment on a huge range of CAD/Productivity driver performance but that's now what you asked for.

AMD seem to make the more stable driver overall - fewer weird hangs, lockups, application crashes etc. The 5700-series launch was supposedly a disaster but I think that was simply a case of bad pre-release drivers that were already fixed before I got my hands on the first 5700XT I could. There are definintely quirks to both drivers and it does sometime depend on the hardware generation but most of (like 2/3rds) of the problems tend to be related to the driver rather than the exact model of card.

AMD and Nvidia run games differently. I don't think it's necessarily driver based but sometimes a game will run like crap and I think something's wrong, but it's just that the variance between GPU vendors and games can be pretty big sometimes. If you like playing decade-old DX9 classics then I think Nvidia's performance is more consistent. I've usually noted one or two games per card generation that run worse than expected, but acceptably on newer AMD cards and I don't recall having that problem on any Nvidia cards. Usually the games are so old that the graphics aren't really the reason you're playing them any more so the fact it's not running a well as it should isn't a big deal.

One thing I will say, not stability related, is that the AMD control panel and tuning options are vastly superior to Nvidia's shockingly useless WindowsXP-era driver UI. And no, Geforce Experience is not the solution to that, Geforce Experience can DIAF.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
My user errors:
  • installing additional tuning software
  • enabling XMP profile on the CPU and not mem testing it (any memory OC applies)
  • using only one rail for power delivery to the GPU
Do you recognize yourself in any of the bullets? Do you use MSI afterburner, Dragon Center, or equivalent? What speed is you RAM running at? Do you have 2 separate power rails going to your GPU?
Those are good troubleshooting steps, however not typically a direct cause of issues. Plenty of users run 3rd party software successfully.

XMP is overclocking the IMC only. The sticks are rated to run at the speed on the box. Jedec profiles are there for compatibility reasons. Ive never seen ram cause blackscreen issues similar to how AMD GPUs black screened, however. Testing xmp profiles for stability is prudent though, period.

One rail is fine if it is clean and enough power. Also, most psus are single rail in the first place. The point here is a good quality psu. Or by rails are you saying two cables and not use one with two pcie connectors (something id did on a 2080ti, currently a 2080s ftr). Note two cables can be from the same 12V rail so you have to be careful with wording.

AMD seem to make the more stable driver overall - fewer weird hangs, lockups, application crashes etc
lol, no. If there is anything we know, over the past year, amd drivers had notably more issues than nVidia. Come on now... :)

One thing I will say, not stability related, is that the AMD control panel and tuning options are vastly superior to Nvidia's shockingly useless WindowsXP-era driver UI.
What is missing in NVCP that AMD has? AMD's is pretty...if you're of elementary school age. But the NVCP has all of the functionality you need, no? I've never looked at it and said, where can I.....................................and not had an answer. What specifically is missing? Dated, sure. But it works well.

Last edited:

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
What is missing in NVCP that AMD has?

I was just going through the NVCP and was struggling to find a tuning option for the cards unlike the AMD option. Have I missed/overlooked something in the NVCP to not find it?

I was just going through the NVCP and was struggling to find a tuning option for the cards unlike the AMD option. Have I missed/overlooked something in the NVCP to not find it?
What do you mean a tuning option? For overclocking? Right, NV has never done that... always third party. That said, good point! Some may want all of that combined. I prefer using the software for the card, however. Been using those since I started overclocking. :)

Outside of performance tuning (including fan control), everything else is there I can think of.

I took exception to the words "shockingly useless" as that is just being toxic and, quite frankly, untrue. I like what they have to offer. It is a nice bloated hunk of software comparatively, but it's looks are... not for me. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rei

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
For overclocking?

Yep, Nvidia's is no where to be seen. AMD's one lately, I have been playing with and its quite impressive. Its not bad for a stock driver interface which Nvidia lacks.

Yep, Nvidia's is no where to be seen. AMD's one lately, I have been playing with and its quite impressive. Its not bad for a stock driver interface which Nvidia lacks.
Well, let's be clear it has a 'stock driver interface', but there isn't any tuning options. Otherwise, it's all there AFAIK.

I guess i'd like to ask if you find NV's NVCP implementation "shockingly useless". :)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
What do you mean a tuning option? For overclocking? Right, NV has never done that... always third party. That said, good point! Some may want all of that combined. I prefer using the software for the card, however. Been using those since I started overclocking. :)

Outside of performance tuning (including fan control), everything else is there I can think of.

I took exception to the words "shockingly useless" as that is just being toxic and, quite frankly, untrue. I like what they have to offer. It is a nice bloated hunk of software comparatively, but it's looks are... not for me. :)
Yup, on Nvidia, for years RivaTuner was the go-to solution. To the point EVGA ripped that off and put it into their X1 Precision (or whatever it's called) software.
Tbh, unless you're hardcore into it, overclocking these days feels mostly pointless: this chips overclock themselves pretty well out of the box. As proven by some TPU benchmarks showing manually OC Ryzen CPUs performing worse than OotB.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
lol, no. If there is anything we know, over the past year, amd drivers had notably more issues than nVidia. Come on now... :)
I'm just telling you what I've seen from about 850 machines that actually have dGPUs. I have the helpdesk ticket stats to prove it.
Note that I'm talking specifically about productivity machines that don't run games, so Unity/Unreal/Source driver stability for realtime 3D modelling/demos is all that's relevant to this discussion. Geforce drivers don't play as well with Adobe stuff as well as AMD, they give us grief in Autodesk Revit, Bentley Microstation, Enscape, V-RayRT, Materialise Magics and McNeel Rhino. AMD drivers have had issues with these too but AMD issues are less common for us and have been fixed by patches in the interim. There are still outstanding Nvidia driver bugs that are almost a decade old at this point.

What is missing in NVCP that AMD has? AMD's is pretty...if you're of elementary school age. But the NVCP has all of the functionality you need, no? I've never looked at it and said, where can I.....................................and not had an answer. What specifically is missing? Dated, sure. But it works well.
Clock, voltage, fan curve tuning; You need third party junk for Nvidia and MSI afterburner is the best I've found but it's still inferior to AMD's tuning options.
Overlay, monitoring, Hardware encoder settings and a half-decent recording/streaming suite; Relive is way easier than OBS, and Geforce experience is a dumpster fire.
Eyefinity makes a joke of Nvidia's multi-display setup options. I have to use third party software like DisplayFusion for some configs at work where Eyefinity just does it, for free, more seamlessly and better.
There are other things that I consider bloat but you can turn them off.

I just find myself wishing that my Nvidia machines had the AMD control panel. There is nothing really wrong with it but it's just too damn basic and hasn't had any attempt to update the interface in about 20 years, and it shows - looking like an IE6 browser window with frames, back when website frames were a thing....

After years of using a Polaris GPU I have to say the experience has been very good on Windows and almost flawless on Linux. I play a wide array of games from ancient to more modern titles, from AAA to indie games. I almost exclusively upgrade to new WHQL version on Windows, but run the latest stable kernel on Linux. Relive has had some bugs, but with the exception of audio in recording being cut off few seconds prematurely, the rest was pretty insignificant. I also keep my Windows installation clean, with exception of games and respective launchers. Didn't have any BSoDs or black screens in years ...

Last edited:
I just find myself wishing that my Nvidia machines had the AMD control panel. There is nothing really wrong with it but it's just too damn basic and hasn't had any attempt to update the interface
There you go. Thats better than "utterly useless"! :p

• Haha
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
i have a 5700 XT Red Dragon and its been running nicely since i got it last christmas,i also have two friends that also has a amd card (one has 5700 and another has a 5700 XT) they have no issues either, no black screen etc

people has issues with the RTX 3000 series too like that black screen issue and bad capacitators, assuming you wont get issue with any card is just wishful thinking

so to make it simple, just get a amd card and try it, if you live in EU, you have 14 days return policy, no questions asked monkey back

Almost my path exactly. . I’m just waiting for the 6700XT as my next upgrade
fancy meeting you here

While I don't own a 5000 serie card but the RX 570 I have since late 2018 had almost no issues.

The only issue I had turned out to be a conflict with another software on my system 'Gigabyte's own software' which always reseted my custom undervolt/power target settings in the AMD driver.
Once I disabled that software all my issues vanished and its rock solid ever since.

I play all kind of games except for competitive games 'so my experience is probably useless to you :laugh: ' but ye in my experience its fine and I would go AMD again if they have the better offer in my budget range.
To be honest I got used to their Adrenaline drivers so much by now that I kinda prefer it actually.
ive had a similar issue with msi afterburner stopping the fan
so people need to be aware of third party overclocking software might mess with amd drivers

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Yup, on Nvidia, for years RivaTuner was the go-to solution.
Oh yeah, the good 'ol days of me and Rivatuner with pre-CUDA chips. To this day the 8600 GTS I had was the best overclocking chip I ever had, a whopping 40% improvement in benchmarks. You'll never see that ever again. RIP.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
There are tons of posts on the web about MSI program woes. I saw a 10 to 15% increase in performance once I removed Dragon Center. I also no longer use afterburner to log usage when Gaming and that gave me another 5 to 10% increase in performance.
you do know you an log performance within the radeon software itself?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I took exception to the words "shockingly useless" as that is just being toxic and, quite frankly, untrue.
I'm shocked at how useless the Nvidia control panel is for controlling the actual hardware. Many of the settings in the Nvidia control panel are just overrides that should be left on "let application choose" unless there's a compatibility problem with a particular game or application. What's left after that is a lot of stuff you can already do in Windows without the Nvidia control panel, plus a tiny handful of things like resolution scaling/DSR, creating custom resolutions, and enabling G-Sync. There, I may have just listed the only three useful things the Nvidia control panel does that aren't redundant duplicates.

If you want to control the fan noise, it's useless.
If you want to control the clockspeed, it's useless.
If you want to control the power consumption, it's useless.
If you want to control the LED lighting, it's useless.
If you want to control driver updates, it's useless.
If you want to control Shadowplay, it's useless
If you want to control Ansel, it's useless
If you want to setup game profiles, it's useless really poor. You can override a few 3D settings on a per-game basis I guess, but that's basically a last resort for broken/ancient games.

The cynic in me believes Nvidia left stuff out of the control panel on purpose, just to push people towards signing up for a Geforce Experience account. I mean, automatic driver updates really don't need to be locked behind the mandatory login of Geforce Experience.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
People, this thread has nothing to do with Nvidia drivers. Take that conversation elsewhere.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
AMD has poor opengl support when it comes to anything emulator(pcsx2/etc) based that needs/benefits it. Been like this for years.

Lately the drivers are getting kinda bloated though.

I use both red and green have many cards to play with now.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
So I've tried the most recent one (20.10.1 Beta) and it's a merde (french for sh_..t) for my Fury Nano:
fresh os win10 September 2020 build coupled with the latest amd chipset drivers for my x370 motherboard yellding a crap load of input lag , I'd say well over 100 milliseconds.

There I went to turn on all the reduced input lag and anti-lag features in the driver only to notice a stutter in the already above and over 100 milliseconds input lag.

Will investigate by installing all the according and appropriate drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

Thankyou.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Anyone here into console emulation? I tend to go nvidia because nvidia cards tend to have better compatibility, features and performance in emulation, AMD and the drivers tend to lag here sometimes

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
I agree that AMD latest driver control panel is getting bloated. I fixed my friends laptop that equipped with AMD GPU few days ago and I barely recognized the control panel. Some of the setting is missing and its getting too cluttered and messy. It felt slow to navigate too (could been the 4GB RAM with spinning disc on W10 cause this too)

D

Deleted member 24505

I agree that AMD latest driver control panel is getting bloated. I fixed my friends laptop that equipped with AMD GPU few days ago and I barely recognized the control panel. Some of the setting is missing and its getting too cluttered and messy. It felt slow to navigate too (could been the 4GB RAM with spinning disc on W10 cause this too)

Exactly my problem, there is too much not needed. Browser, game list, i don't need to see my game list in the video driver control panel at all. it needs simplifying and have a option on install for some all none driver only.