• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So is the 10 gb vram on rtx 3080 still enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Tessellation has far far smaller performance hit than it had in the beginning and there have been improvements even relatively recently. It is used sparingly but it does see constant use where needed, it is all over the place.

This is true - and that is in my view also a good place for RT effects. In many situations you can do similar with a much less costly raster effect. And since we don't have unlimited graphics power on tap... choices always have to be made, as they always have been made. Its about how budget is divided, and I think AMD is seeing things in a much more conservative - better - balance that way.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Tessellation has far far smaller performance hit than it had in the beginning and there have been improvements even relatively recently. It is used sparingly but it does see constant use where needed, it is all over the place.

If it has a smaller performance hit then why should I expect that something which is way more computationally expensive will fair any better ?

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
In many situations you can do similar with a much less costly raster effect. And since we don't have unlimited graphics power on tap... choices always have to be made, as they always have been made. Its about how budget is divided, and I think AMD is seeing things in a much more conservative - better - balance that way.
There are effects that are pretty darn difficult to do with rasterization, at least to the same level. Reflections in Watch Dogs Legion - especially on cars - is the first that comes to mind from recent examples.

There is definitely performance budgeting going on. Approaches to it vary wildly, scene for RT is usually simplified (for example DF's Spiderman video), if not simplified it is distance limited (different RT settings), amount of reflecting surfaces is reduced (different settings, BF5 RT patches videos have good examples) in many if not most cases the scene used for RT is not updated every frame, there are different temporal tricks going on etc. The part about RT itself is also tested and optimized but it is far more known and straightforward - the way rays are cast, they are distributed, how many bounces, distance limiting etc.

The thing with RT effects is that they are rarely in your face. In most cases the result is a relatively subtle difference but performance hit aside they usually bring a good improvement in immersion. They are also somehow more impressive in motion.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
There are effects that are pretty darn difficult to do with rasterization, at least to the same level. Reflections in Watch Dogs Legion - especially on cars - is the first that comes to mind from recent examples.

There is definitely performance budgeting going on. Approaches to it vary wildly, scene for RT is usually simplified (for example DF's Spiderman video), if not simplified it is distance limited (different RT settings), amount of reflecting surfaces is reduced (different settings, BF5 RT patches videos have good examples) in many if not most cases the scene used for RT is not updated every frame, there are different temporal tricks going on etc. The part about RT itself is also tested and optimized but it is far more known and straightforward - the way rays are cast, they are distributed, how many bounces, distance limiting etc.

The thing with RT effects is that they are rarely in your face. In most cases the result is a relatively subtle difference but performance hit aside they usually bring a good improvement in immersion. They are also somehow more impressive in motion.

Cyberpunk seems to suffer a similar fate for some areas and scenes then. Less complexity to cater to RT.

Not sure if that's a win...

System Name Computer
Processor Intel Core i9-9900kf
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling MSI MPG Coreliquid K360
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4070 DUAL OC
Storage A Bunch of Sata SSD and some HD for storage
Display(s) Asus MG278q (main screen)
OK I'll try one more time :) But I'll start by saying YES, you are correct. It is a personal consideration - we all try to crystal ball ourselves out of this, its never going to be conclusive until its too late ;)

- RT performance is early adopter territory. Next gen may turn things on its head altogether and make current day perf obsolete straight away. You can check Turing > Ampere RT perf for proof. Remember, AMD is having a lite-version of RT in RDNA2. It can go either of both ways - the industry goes full steam on it and RDNA3 or beyond will push it far more heavily, or they really don't and focus goes back towards better raster perf while RT takes a similar place as, say, Tesselation - just another effect to use. The supposed 'RT advantage' of Nvidia can also dwindle faster than you might blink if devs start optimizing for consoles first. The additional die space Nvidia has for it, won't be used properly unless Nvidia keeps using bags of money like they have so far to get RTX implementation.

Its far too early to determine RT is 'here to stay' in the projected way as a 'major part' of the graphics pipeline. If the market doesn't eat it, it'll die. Its a very expensive effect. Look at the price surges, demand issues... They are related.

RT is also not efficient at this time. Its the same thing as enabling overly costly AA that barely shows an advantage. Yes, you cán... but why? In a large number of situations it really doesn't add much. You can still count the examples where it does, on one hand - and you'll have fingers left.
You are right that we can't know for sure what will happen in the future, this is why there is no "perfect" answer as none of the offer of AMD or NVIDIA cover all the possibilities.
While i have run into an issue with 8Gbs of VRAM on a single specific game, 10Gbs may be still enough for a few years... or not. But regarding RT, if i buy a 6800XT right now, i don't need a crystal ball to know that i will have worse performance in the few RT game i play or intend to play soon, which would be quite sad after spending that much money on a new GPU. So, for someone who appreciate RT like me, NVIDIA seems to be a better choice. If you don't care about RT at all, or don't mind waiting for it to mature, then indeed AMD offers may be a better choice.

- 10GB VRAM is not resale-worthy. Its just not. Its yesterday's capacity. Past two gens already had more. The fact we're already discussing it at launch speaks volumes.. You buy this to use it for a few years and then it gets knocked down the product tiers very fast. I haven't seen anyone disagree with that, by the way, even in this topic. We ALL draw the conclusion that 10GB will impose limitations pretty soon. The idea that this somehow 'scales with the core power' has absolutely no basis in the past - in the past, we've always seen an increase or equal capacity with increasing core power. You can't ignore that disbalance. Its there and it'll show.

- 16GB VRAM is very resale-worthy, especially given the fact that there is lots of core power on tap and the balance with the core power relative to past gen is also kept intact. Well balanced GPUs last longest. Its just that simple. When they run out of oomph, they run out of all things at the same time, and that tends to take a long while. Until they do... you can resell them. A GPU without such balance doesn't resell like that - you can only resell it on 'conditional' situations, ie specific use cases. '3080's a great card for 1440p now', is probably the punchline. You'll insta-lose all potential buyers with a 4K panel or even UWs - your niche got that much smaller.
To be honest, i don't buy a GPU on the resale value. I mean, i may compare it if everything else would be equal, but it's at the bottom of the list. But once again it may depend on personnal situations.

- VRAM is used everywhere. If you're short, you'll be tweaking your settings every time, not just in the games that may or may not have RT worth looking at. So going forward in time, say you'll be buying a 4K monitor 3 years from now... with a 3080 you might also feel the urge to upgrade the GPU. With a 12-16GB card, you most certainly won't have to.
I may agree with you in 4k, in 1440p it seems that there is still room with 10GB for some times. But the 16GB of vram will not be of much use either if you have to reduce image quality because the card is not fast enough for the game that require that amount. But as you said, we have no crystal ball.

As for a hundred DXR titles... yeah. In a similar vein we also have 'hundreds' of DX12 titles... that we still prefer to run in DX11 because its the same thing but better.

TL DR what it REALLY comes down to... is how keen you are to early adopt RT. Except now its not the Turing days where the competition has nothing to place against that consideration - the competition has a technically more durable product - and it even does RT too! That's a pretty steep price tag to keep going green if you ask me.
Well i agree with you that the price tag is steep, but as i said, i would feel worse with buying something that perform worse in a game i already played with similar settings. Especially since the only reason i would realistically have to change my GPU is for performance on RT games as I have no issues with non RT games so far.

In the end, it seems to me that the good thing is that we at least have choice now :)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yep I agree most people will be satisfied with 5700XT or 2070 Super at 1440p, even 5700 non-XT and 2070 non-Super would do fine for 99% of people at this res

2070 Super can easily do 1440p/144Hz if you tweak settings, unless your CPU/Memory are turds

Most people that aim for 120+ fps are playing multiplayer titles and cares alot less for image quality anyway, performance is key and without maxing games out, spotting enemies becomes way easier
This was, of course, under the assumption of ultra settings...we're nkt talking about esports titles and competitive games where turning settings down is key. Talking about joe blow gamer who strives for ultra.

Last edited:
System Name Computer
Processor Intel Core i9-9900kf
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling MSI MPG Coreliquid K360
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4070 DUAL OC
Storage A Bunch of Sata SSD and some HD for storage
Display(s) Asus MG278q (main screen)
The funny thing about the whole dispute in this thread is that, given the non existent availability of both brand, people vouching for AMD should be happy that people vouching for NVIDIA don't buy the card they want and vice versa. It's a win win situation... :D

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
The funny thing about the whole dispute in this thread is that, given the non existent availability of both brand, people vouching for AMD should be happy that people vouching for NVIDIA don't buy the card they want and vice versa. It's a win win situation... :D

Well I'm sure that some people who are vouching for AMD in this thread are not buying the RX6000 at all, or even actually playing today games...kinda pointless discussion really.

But hey I found some upcoming new game that will make good use of RT, it's Riftbreaker, sponsored by AMD

And turning RT on is crushing performance on AMD hardware :D

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Comment of the day :D Shame we can't upvote

So, let's start a poll? 'Which GPU are you not buying this year?'

Well I'm sure that some people who are vouching for AMD in this thread are not buying the RX6000 at all, or even actually playing today games...kinda pointless discussion really.

But hey I found some upcoming new game that will make good use of RT, it's Riftbreaker, sponsored by AMD

And turning RT on is crushing performance on AMD hardware :D

The penny really has to drop sometime, but is the plank on your forehead this thick? Many people DO. NOT. CARE.
Gaming isn't about graphics you know. Its about games. If you need graphics teasers to buy into games, man... you're far gone IMO. The visual aspect is just that: one aspect - with varying relevance.

That also applies to the 'not early adopting' part. Most people don't give a rat's behind about what's new. They look at what's nice to have and easy to get. I fall in that category, for example - and guess what, I'm still a hardcore gamer nonetheless. Its a very diverse target audience.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
This is kind of a pointless discussion, both sides are arguing over "what if" scenario in 2-3 years.

In 2-3 years 3080 won't be enough to run at 4K at ultra anyway, that's expected.
16 GB of VRAM won't bottleneck you at 4K but GPU performance is based on more than just VRAM.
In 2-3 years Nvidia will be on Gen 3-4 of RT implementation, AMD will probably be on Gen 2-3. The odds are that GPU's from early gens will be useless for anything above 1080p medium RT.
If both Sony and MS release mid-gen variants of consoles then what's achievable by XSX/PS5 with RT will become a baseline for "RT LOW" setting.

System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
3080 is a great short to mid term GPU, i doubt it will age well but that's beside the point. People who look to buy a high end gpu and keep it for 4-5 years.. well just wait for the more vram versions :) :confused:

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
The penny really has to drop sometime, but is the plank on your forehead this thick? Many people DO. NOT. CARE.
Gaming isn't about graphics you know. Its about games. If you need graphics teasers to buy into games, man... you're far gone IMO. The visual aspect is just that: one aspect - with varying relevance.
For this particular audience the end of days is already here. Midrange from last generation has more power than they need and probably high end from generation before as well :D

Reactions: Rei
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
For this particular audience the end of days is already here. Midrange from last generation has more power than they need and probably high end from generation before as well :D

Correctamundo! The thing is, if you look at overall marketshare per tier, the vast majority is in that group. Its shifting a little, but not by much.

I'm missing some FPS now with this new res, but other than that... everything's plenty playable.

System Name Amazing Experience
Processor Intel Core i5 7500
Motherboard MSI H110M Pro-VD
Cooling Deepcool Alta 7 (CPU) | 2x 120mm RGB Case Fans (Rear and Front)
Memory Hynix 16GB (2x8) 2400Mhz (13-13-13-28)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Storage Crucial BX500 120GB; Seagate Barracuda 1TB+2TB; Dell 1TB Ext. HDD
Display(s) HP 22es
Case Ant Esports ICE-211TG
Audio Device(s) F&D A110 2.1 Stereo Speakers
Power Supply Circle 500 Watts APFC
Mouse Redragon M609
Keyboard TVS Gold Mechanical Keyboard (MX Blue, PS/2)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
actually, ps4 gpu (non-pro one) is even slower than a gtx 950
Closest match PS4 GPU has from cards is probably Radeon 7850. PS4 Pro GPU is between RX470 and RX480.

System Name MSI
Processor i9 10900KF OC to 5.1ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490i Unify
Cooling MSI 240 Coreliquid R
Memory 32GB3600Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Xtrio
Storage 512 mvne + 2tb ssd
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odessy
Case Cooler Master NR200P
Audio Device(s) Steelserie Arctis Pro + GameDac , Logitec z310 desktop speaker
Power Supply Cooler Master SFX 850watt
Mouse Steelseries Rival 650 wireless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro TKL
Software Windows 10
Yesterday nvidia launch 3060ti....what does it mean? My guess which we have talk about it is correct next year u will see a 3070ti and 3080ti in the market....

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Yesterday nvidia launch 3060ti....what does it mean? My guess which we have talk about it is correct next year u will see a 3070ti and 3080ti in the market....

of course, and probably super models after that. there will always be a better model coming along.

vincat84

What about the new RTX IO technology? I believe this is going to fix the VRAM lack in the card (if needed it) by accessing faster to the M2 pcie 4 SSD card

Its enough.
For now.
I don't expect the 20GB version to really boost performance in games right now.
That's just the thing really, adding more VRAM is never about a "boost performance" thing as much as it is a "make sure you have enough VRAM so that performance doesn't degrade when a game needs more and is forced to swap data out to system RAM" situation. In this respect, having more RAM is always good. It's always better to have more than you need then to have not enough. This applies to system RAM as much as VRAM.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
resizable BAR + NvIO (and AMD's variant) will probably change how things work as far as game loading goes.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
IMO 10GB is enough for now. It probably won't be enough at some point next year, but people who splurge on flagship vanity cards at 3x the cost of anything in the performance/$ sweet spot aren't likely to give a shit about their card next year, because they'll be buying the new model that comes out then, anyway.

If you care about longevity or performance/$ then 10GB is too little for a long-term card. 12GB is probably going to become the new baseline for Ultra settings, (it's been on 8GB for some games since 2019) and with the competition including 16GB and the inevitable PS5/XBSX refresh in 12-18 months, you can expect the GPU power and VRAM quantities to increase, just like One X did. My guess is that the XBSX refresh will come with 20GB RAM to take advantage of developers targeting 16GB GPUs cross-platform whilst still having 4GB RAM for the OS and game code to run on the CPU.

As always, this discussion is entirely subjective opinion because if anyone could accurately predict the future, the human race would be in a much better position than it is right now ;)

It's a good thing 10GB will be fine for a generation's worth of time (really, one year won't suddenly change anything). Sure, we all want more there, but as good as it is to have a buffer, it's a waste of money when you aren't using close to its capacity. If you play at 4k/ultra perhaps it's good to have towards the end of its life in a few years...

In theory, the xbox can use up to 13.5GB. In reality, it's a shared pool with the system ram that also shares bandwidth and it will use less. I highly doubt this generation of console will push up RAM use past 10GB. I doubt they'll add more system RAM to an updated console...there's no reason to in a closed ecosystem.

As was mentioned... this is an opinion as well...

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
and the inevitable PS5/XBSX refresh in 12-18 months, you can expect the GPU power and VRAM quantities to increase, just like One X did. My guess is that the XBSX refresh will come with 20GB RAM to take advantage of developers targeting 16GB GPUs cross-platform whilst still having 4GB RAM for the OS and game code to run on the CPU.
Why do you think that there will be a refresh of PS5 & Xbox 4 in less than 2 years? The only reason that there was a refresh of last gen console was to take advantage of the sudden demand in 4K market segment while maintaining status quo for 1080p. I highly doubt that there will be a 6K market while I don't see 8K content becoming commonplace in the next 4-5 years that there will be a need for mid-gen refresh. By that time, both (or all 3) companies would have already been working on the next-gen console.
I doubt they'll add more system RAM to an updated console...there's no reason to in a closed ecosystem.
Why not? They did that for Xbox One X with 4 GB of additional RAM & 1 GB for the PS4 Pro. Though the PS4 Pro's RAM was DDR3 for OS use meaning GDDR5 RAM allowance for games usage went up from 5.5 GB RAM to 6.5 GB RAM.
If this gen's refreshed console would have to support higher rez output without impacting graphical fidelity or game performance, they would have to increase RAM as well otherwise it'll be a half-baked refreshed console.

Why do you think that there will be a refresh of PS5 & Xbox 4 in less than 2 years? The only reason that there was a refresh of last gen console was to take advantage of the sudden demand in 4K market segment while maintaining status quo for 1080p. I highly doubt that there will be a 6K market while I don't see 8K content becoming commonplace in the next 4-5 years that there will be a need for mid-gen refresh. By that time, both (or all 3) companies would have already been working on the next-gen console.

Why not? They did that for Xbox One X with 4 GB of additional RAM & 1 GB for the PS4 Pro. Though the PS4 Pro's RAM was DDR3 for OS use meaning GDDR5 RAM allowance for games usage went up from 5.5 GB RAM to 6.5 GB RAM.
If this gen's refreshed console would have to support higher rez output without impacting graphical fidelity or game performance, they would have to increase RAM as well otherwise it'll be a half-baked refreshed console.
I forgot they did that in the past. But as you said earlier in that post, requirements for monitors won't be going up so there's that. We'll see if 13.5GB for all isn't enough. :)

That said, I wonder how much that did for either console... how many titles could take advantage of it and what the difference is between versions fps wise.

Reactions: Rei

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
That said, I wonder how much that did for either console... how many titles could take advantage of it and what the difference is between versions fps wise.
This is just my observation from watching too many Digital Foundry comparison videos but there were few misses such as better graphics and/or rez but worse frame rate than the original console. Sure enough, that was in quality mode, not performance mode. My guess is, it depends on how well each game is optimized as well as developer choice of prioritizing rez/graphics over frame rate & vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.