• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel To Acquire Havok

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Intel Corporation today announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Havok Inc., the leading provider of interactive software and services used by digital media creators in the game and movie industries. Havok will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel. The acquisition will enable developers in the digital animation and game communities to take advantage of Intel's innovation and technology leadership in the creation of digital media.

"Havok is a proven leader in physics technology for gaming and digital content, and will become a key element of Intel's visual computing and graphics efforts," said Renee J. James, vice president and general manager of Intel's Software and Solutions Group. "Havok will operate its business as usual, which will allow them to continue developing products that are offered across all platforms in the industry."

Havok's modular suite of software development tools is used by game and digital animation creators to build realistic video games for all types of hardware and digitally animated movies. The company's combination of superior technology and dedication to customers has led to its technology being used in more than 150 of the world's best-known game titles, including "BioShock," "Stranglehold," "Halo 2," "Half Life 2," "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion," "Crackdown," "Lost Planet: Extreme Condition," "MotorStorm" and "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." In addition, Havok products have been used to create special effects in movies such as "Poseidon," "The Matrix," "Troy," "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

"This is a great fit for Havok products, customers and employees," said Havok CEO David O'Meara. "Intel's scale of technology investment and customer reach enable Havok with opportunities to grow more quickly into new market segments with new products than we could have done organically. We believe the winning combination is Havok's technology and customer know-how with Intel's scale. I am excited to be part of this next phase of Havok's growth."

Havok was founded in 1998 in Dublin, Ireland, and has offices in San Francisco, San Antonio, Stockholm, Calcutta, Munich and Tokyo. The company will be a wholly owned Intel subsidiary and continue to operate as an independent business working with its customers in developing digital media content. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Oh crap. What does this mean for AMD/ATI users I wonder?

SpoonMuffin

Processor x2 4000+@2.96gz, thermalright ultra90 with 90mm panaflow ultra speed
Motherboard biostar tforce 550
Cooling Thermalright ultra90,90mm panaflow ultra speed fan
Memory Transend AxeRam ddr2 800@986mhz 5-5-5-15 2t TrFc 75ns
Video Card(s) x1900xtx+zalman vf900cu cooler
Storage 80+160+200+250gb
Display(s) 20.1in gaming lcd 1600x1200@120hz(dvi-d)
Case cg-briza (thx again to ashen)
Audio Device(s) realtek 8ch hd audio latist drivers
Power Supply 400watt fsp 12cm fan psu
Software windows 2003 sp2(custom build),nod32,opera9,tcmp,vlc,udrfrag,perfect disk,utorrent
acctualy unless intel puts out a ppu/gpu of its own thats user retail level they would be VERY stupid to not support amd/ati and nvidia cards(intel dosnt like nvidia because nvidia wont just let intel support sli official for free )

meh, intel will screw this up i would bet, bye bye havok, hope your employs start a new company like the gradge games guys did when dynamix was shutdown by sierra...blah more depressing bs

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
One company to rule them all :/ So now everytime a movie is made with the help of Havok there is a Core™2 Quad add?

Nkd

i dont understand why this will be a stupid move, i think its a brilliant move by intel, they need professionals inputs in their upcoming discrete graphics part, i think its better for employee of havok and intel, remember intel is not a broke amd right now so those people dont have to worry about losing their job, i am pretty sure they are more than happy to be owned by intel.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
i dont understand why this will be a stupid move, i think its a brilliant move by intel, they need professionals inputs in their upcoming discrete graphics part, i think its better for employee of havok and intel, remember intel is not a broke amd right now so those people dont have to worry about losing their job, i am pretty sure they are more than happy to be owned by intel.

You dont understand precisely because you dont understand.

I doubt a physics-engine company is going to help in making graphics hardware.

D

Deleted member 24505

i think this could be a good thing not bad.intel wont stop licenceing this to other companies for games and such,and havok co. will have more resources to work with which can only improve the havok system.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
well one positive is anti intel game developers may switch away and use a development tool less resource intensive that the havok tools, another invite for openGL to make a massive comeback.

well one positive is anti intel game developers may switch away and use a development tool less resource intensive that the havok tools, another invite for openGL to make a massive comeback.

There are game developers that are actually anti Intel or AMD?

There are game developers that are actually anti Intel or AMD?

Dans right guys, game developers actually dont have the time to be immature and side with a company. Its pretty pessimistic and immature thinking that intel will try to run a monopoly, they just want to maximize their profits, and guys if you bitch about this...think about it, is there any point of bitching that intel gained more market share?

Moreover think about it, if they optimized the game to run faster on a specific platform, wouldn't the game developers have a smaller income? Think about that as well.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Just a one up on AMD. Intel cant buy a graphics company, so they buy Havok, which is a game engine maker if Im not mistaken.

Just a one up on AMD. Intel cant buy a graphics company, so they buy Havok, which is a game engine maker if Im not mistaken.

They got most of the 3Dlabs team, have several licenses from Imagination and have their own team. They don't really need to buy a whole graphics company.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
They got most of the 3Dlabs team, have several licenses from Imagination and have their own team. They don't really need to buy a whole graphics company.

So true

But with this acquisition of Havok one does wonder if Havok will release an equivalent of the Ageia Physx Card this would just make me lol if people suddenly decided to buy that after Physx has already been out close to what about 2 years?:roll::roll::roll:

But seriously Halo 2 used Havok?

And Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix being one of the 150 well known titles that used Havok i call bullshit on that lol.

I hardly even heard any talk about the game let alone anything positive about it:):laugh::laugh::laugh:

mas0n

Processor Q6600 425x9=3825MHz @1.4625V
Motherboard DFI DK X38-T2RSB
Cooling PA120.3, Apogee GT, Swiftech MCP655-B
Memory 4GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 @425MHz
Video Card(s) HD4870 @ 820/1100
Storage 2x74GB | 2x400GB | JBOD 1.8TB
Display(s) Samsung 225BW
Case Antec P180B
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer
This is all about physics acceleration in Intel Octal-core CPUs designed to compete with AMD Fusion project.

Glump Bliermp

Quality response there, please don't do it again.
I'm not even going to point out the irony here.

i dont understand why this will be a stupid move, i think its a brilliant move by intel.
Duh. This is a brilliant move by intel because now intel can bring some proprietary addition to their processors specifically for the Havok Engine. They'll patent that addition. Then in ALL benchmarks, games will run better on Intel chips. Then AMD will go out of business. There will be nobody to compete with Intel, and we'll all be forced to pay whatever Intel tells us to pay. All the while, there would be no more incentive for Intel to innovate new products because there's no competition. This may be good for Intel, but this sucks for you and me.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I'm not even going to point out the irony here.

Duh. This is a brilliant move by intel because now intel can bring some proprietary addition to their processors specifically for the Havok Engine. They'll patent that addition. Then in ALL benchmarks, games will run better on Intel chips. Then AMD will go out of business. There will be nobody to compete with Intel, and we'll all be forced to pay whatever Intel tells us to pay. All the while, there would be no more incentive for Intel to innovate new products because there's no competition. This may be good for Intel, but this sucks for you and me.

Lol....AMD won't got out of buisness. AMD could easily aquire ageia physx and do the same thing. This will barely effect the market.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Goodbye havok, nice knowing you. Say hello to your new, evil overlords, for me.

And to AMD, prepare your lawyers for when the benchies go sour.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
So Intel adds some propretairy hardware to their chips, patents it, and only one company, out of many can use it. I doubt that game makers will fall for this, make half of their userbase obsolete? More than likely it is just to put the squeeze on AMD/ATI for licansing the code.

Good move by Intel, possibly bad for AMD/ATI. But inthe day and age of quad core processors they should be able to do a software emulation of the hardware, hell we have been using software for years with no problems.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I think Intel is finally trying to diversify into the software sector. The only software they've made (that I know of) are hardware tools and hardware acceleration optimizers.

Does anyone not agree or know differently?

There is also the possibility that some serious Havok game engines can/will be optimized for Intel/NVidia. This'll leaving those wanting some great game titles with little chioce but Intel platform for performance. "Hey look at this kids, the #1 game runs 30% faster on an intel rig!"

And then there's the media sector they could infiltrate (FX software used in blockbuster movies, currently dominated by a few players like Autodesk).

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
Lol....AMD won't got out of buisness. AMD could easily aquire ageia physx and do the same thing. This will barely effect the market.

lol, who needs ageia physx?!

Glump Bliermp

Hardware company buying a hardware company is one thing; hardware company buying a software company that's used in many of the best games, is another. Besides, AGEIA PhysX is a joke. Anyway, I smell anti-trust all over this.

Nkd

You dont understand precisely because you dont understand.

I doubt a physics-engine company is going to help in making graphics hardware.

well thanks for your generous response, by no means i was directing it toward only their hardware, intel has been looking for software engineers also, they need professionals, i am sure people at havok are not stupid, and they could help intel. and also i agree with the statement that they are probably trying to squeeze nvidia and amd both, specially nvidia because of the fact they are giving intel the hardest time on licensing sli.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
well thanks for your generous response, by no means i was directing it toward only their hardware, intel has been looking for software engineers also, they need professionals, i am sure people at havok are not stupid, and they could help intel. and also i agree with the statement that they are probably trying to squeeze nvidia and amd both, specially nvidia because of the fact they are giving intel the hardest time on licensing sli.

agreed

I always wonder what would've happened if AMD and Nvidia could've worked things out. Nvidia obviously has the best parts (performance-wise if you're going to nit pick about something else :p). Together I think they would be unstoppable against intel.