• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek ALC4080 Audio Problems. Sound Cuts out with Loud Hiss.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
Hello, I'm new to this forum but you all seem very knowledgeable and I'm stumped here. Maybe someone here can think of a new fix to try.

My trouble is with the sound (Realtek ALC4080) on a new motherboard (MSI z590 Torpedo) motherboard on a (mostly) new PC build.

Using the TOSLINK audio output, the sound will work normally for some time but suddenly and randomly the sound will cut out and a very loud hissing sound is output instead. It happens randomly and sporadically. Some days it won't happen at all, other days it happens several times every hour.

Any thoughts on what I can I do to make this audio output behave normally? Do you think it's a hardware problem or a driver issue?

Some notes from testing and research:
- Issue does not occur with any other audio outputs. TOSlink only.
- Tested, confirmed that the cable is not the cause.
- Tested, confirmed that the receiver is not the cause.
- Found several threads about this issue with the alc4080 on motherboards from a variety of manufacturers but I haven't found word of a fix.
- (It seems incredibly common for forum-posters to suggest "just buy a sound" card but that's a distraction from the issue at hand.)

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Windows, Windows Update, BIOS, and Drivers are all latest versions. Drivers via manufacturer.
- Tried resetting the CMOS but it didn't help
- MSI support suggested to disable Intel C State in the BIOS, but it didn't help. (Their other emails are poorly written to the point of futility.)
- Realtek support did not respond to my question.
you might wanna upgrade the realtek fw :toast:

1623306319250.png

Wrobel_1

‎Hello! I have a similar problem on the board ROG MAXIMUS XIII APEX.Wrote in support of asus waiting for an answer I think the problem is in the firmware of the audio codec ALC4080.I shot a video on my phone and poured on youtube here is a link
and I also found a video of a user of the same motherboard as me and he has a similar problem (
) he says that those support asus said that this is supposedly a marriage and you need to hand over the fee, but SPDIF they somehow patched so that it does not hiss. I don't know what to do hopefully the problem is in the firmware!‎

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Привет ! У меня подобная проблема на плате ROG MAXIMUS XIII APEX .Написал в поддержку asus жду ответа думаю проблема в прошивки звукового кодека ALC4080.Я снял видео на телефон и залил на youtube вот ссылка
и еще я нашел видео пользователя такой же материнской платы как у меня и у него аналогичная проблема (
) он говорит что тех поддержка asus сказала что это якобы брак и надо плату сдавать , но SPDIF они как-то пропатчили, чтобы он не шипел. Не знаю что делать надеюсь что проблема в прошивке !
Hi @Wrobel_1 . Please note this is an English Speaking forums. We don't mind people who have grammar issues with a translation program, but we do request that you post in English. Thanks!

stubkjaer

You can find a link to mentioned MSI motherboards, where the Realtec bug is fixed with the lastest audio driver update 6.3.9600.2286.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I would just use a discreet Sound card at this rate.

AsyraafWZR

Hello, I'm new to this forum but you all seem very knowledgeable and I'm stumped here. Maybe someone here can think of a new fix to try.

My trouble is with the sound (Realtek ALC4080) on a new motherboard (MSI z590 Torpedo) motherboard on a (mostly) new PC build.

Using the TOSLINK audio output, the sound will work normally for some time but suddenly and randomly the sound will cut out and a very loud hissing sound is output instead. It happens randomly and sporadically. Some days it won't happen at all, other days it happens several times every hour.

Any thoughts on what I can I do to make this audio output behave normally? Do you think it's a hardware problem or a driver issue?

Some notes from testing and research:
- Issue does not occur with any other audio outputs. TOSlink only.
- Tested, confirmed that the cable is not the cause.
- Tested, confirmed that the receiver is not the cause.
- Found several threads about this issue with the alc4080 on motherboards from a variety of manufacturers but I haven't found word of a fix.
- (It seems incredibly common for forum-posters to suggest "just buy a sound" card but that's a distraction from the issue at hand.)

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Windows, Windows Update, BIOS, and Drivers are all latest versions. Drivers via manufacturer.
- Tried resetting the CMOS but it didn't help
- MSI support suggested to disable Intel C State in the BIOS, but it didn't help. (Their other emails are poorly written to the point of futility.)
- Realtek support did not respond to my question.
Hello, I have the same issues, but instead of TOSlink, i use the 3.5mm output on the motherboard. I think i might've found the culprit. I think its a driver issue. I found that, if you start windows on fresh start (disable fast startup in control panel, under 'Power Options') the issues seems to gone away. I haven't had any loud hissing for months now. But, when i put the computer to sleep, after turning it back on again, i found that the issue is back. Literally makes me jump out of my chair when it happened.

It could be that the driver seems to be faulty if it were not freshly start upon sleep or shutdown. I don't know anything about driver stuff, but i guess the workaround to this is to fix the driver.

Motherboard model:
- Gigabyte Z590 Vision D

System Name GamerRacei-5
Processor i5 10600kf 5ghz-ring 4.7ghz
Motherboard gigabyte z590 aorus ultra
Cooling coolermaster ml360r lapped liquid metal
Memory (4x8SR32gb cl17-22-22-42-4000OC) crucialballistix 2x8SR bl8g30c15u4b m8fe1/ 2x8SR bl8g30c15u4b m8fe
Video Card(s) evga 2060ko shunt modded 280mm custom loop liquid metal
Storage OS 500gb sata ssd, 2x1tb hdd 1x500gb hdd 1x256gb m.2 ssd
Display(s) 47in 1080p 60hz LG tv, dell 19in 1440x900 75hz e198wfpv, Acer ED347CKR bmidphzx 34" 1440p100hz
Case lianli lanmcool II
Audio Device(s) creative sound blaster Z
Power Supply evga gt 850watt 80+ gold
Mouse coolermaster mm711
Keyboard corsair k70 lux rgb
Software win10 64bit
im having the same issue the russian guys video describes it exactly im using the analog audio outs
i hate that these alc4080's do not like exit a suspend state essentially u can play audio in one tab of chrome pause the video wait a short amount of time play the video or go to another youtube tab and BAM very loud distortion its as if the firmware is either not telling the os to wait for sync or the windows is not waiting for it
USB audio ICs(specifically the alc4080) should never be used in motherboard audio ever again makes trying to save a buck and get a decent z590 OC board a bad buy

gigabyte z590 aorus ultra and yes i got the intel i225v 2.5gb lan with the suddenly say "cannot start" and or not properly power cycling forcing me to fully shutdown and unplug my psu to get it running again

System Name GamerRacei-5
Processor i5 10600kf 5ghz-ring 4.7ghz
Motherboard gigabyte z590 aorus ultra
Cooling coolermaster ml360r lapped liquid metal
Memory (4x8SR32gb cl17-22-22-42-4000OC) crucialballistix 2x8SR bl8g30c15u4b m8fe1/ 2x8SR bl8g30c15u4b m8fe
Video Card(s) evga 2060ko shunt modded 280mm custom loop liquid metal
Storage OS 500gb sata ssd, 2x1tb hdd 1x500gb hdd 1x256gb m.2 ssd
Display(s) 47in 1080p 60hz LG tv, dell 19in 1440x900 75hz e198wfpv, Acer ED347CKR bmidphzx 34" 1440p100hz
Case lianli lanmcool II
Audio Device(s) creative sound blaster Z
Power Supply evga gt 850watt 80+ gold
Mouse coolermaster mm711
Keyboard corsair k70 lux rgb
Software win10 64bit
gave up and got a sound blaster z

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2
Hello, I have the same issues, but instead of TOSlink, i use the 3.5mm output on the motherboard. I think i might've found the culprit. I think its a driver issue. I found that, if you start windows on fresh start (disable fast startup in control panel, under 'Power Options') the issues seems to gone away. I haven't had any loud hissing for months now. But, when i put the computer to sleep, after turning it back on again, i found that the issue is back. Literally makes me jump out of my chair when it happened.

It could be that the driver seems to be faulty if it were not freshly start upon sleep or shutdown. I don't know anything about driver stuff, but i guess the workaround to this is to fix the driver.

Motherboard model:
- Gigabyte Z590 Vision D

try updating the firmware for your Z590 vision d board - direct link to it here. (firmware update released around mid-july 2022)

im having the same issue the russian guys video describes it exactly im using the analog audio outs
i hate that these alc4080's do not like exit a suspend state essentially u can play audio in one tab of chrome pause the video wait a short amount of time play the video or go to another youtube tab and BAM very loud distortion its as if the firmware is either not telling the os to wait for sync or the windows is not waiting for it
USB audio ICs(specifically the alc4080) should never be used in motherboard audio ever again makes trying to save a buck and get a decent z590 OC board a bad buy

gigabyte z590 aorus ultra and yes i got the intel i225v 2.5gb lan with the suddenly say "cannot start" and or not properly power cycling forcing me to fully shutdown and unplug my psu to get it running again

yea kinda sucks that Gigabyte tried to follow MSI in putting ALC4080 chips onto some of the gigabyte z590 boards (most MSI z590 "gaming" boards have either alc4080 or alc4082); Gigabyte only provided updated firmware but no updated usb audio drivers since v6.3.9600.2306 but a 6.3.9600.2330 realtek usb audio gigabyte version is available from the station drivers site since late November 2022; don't know why Gigabyte themselves don't provide this updated driver version on their web site. maybe trade in that Z590 aorus ultra board with either Z590 Aorus Elite, Z590 Aorus Master or Z590 Aorus Extreme boards, which these specific z590 boards use Realtek ALC1220-VB instead

Last edited:

stubkjaer

kinda sucks that Gigabyte tried to follow MSI in putting ALC4080 chips onto some of the gigabyte z590 boards (most MSI z590 "gaming" boards have either alc4080 or alc4082);
I found the Realtek ALC4080 version for an USB Audio version for a high quality audio system a complete disaster, and should have been abounded by MSI .
I now have complete disabled all Realtek option in the BIOS as well as drivers, which actually was a huge problem, because the Realtek ASIO still remained.
I now use Topping D10 for driving the local PC fairly decent speakers, and the DX1 for headphones and the external high-end audio system.
Just for the local PC system the audio quality far exceed the motherboard audio system many times!
I have now learned, that integrated audio system is of no go, if high quality is required, and this has a significant extra cost.