• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

B550 Aorus Elite v2-Audio chip not working/not being detected by Windows10

Hi all,
My first post, I fix PC's and laptops for a job, so no noob. I have a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 mother board here. I have just installed Windows on it, the audio device is ON in the BIOS, the BIOS is freshly updated to the most recent version and reset to defaults.
I cannot see it under audio device in device manager, I have tried much driver shenanigans. There is an Nvidia graphics card and it is listed as a HDMI HD audio device in Windows and I am sure if I had a HDMI monitor with speakers I would have sound.

I booted the PC from a Ubuntu Live USB stick, the try it out option. Ubuntu failed to "find" the audio chip, a Realtek ALC 1220 as well. I listed the hardware, Linux reports a Realtek ALC 1220 AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller, Capabilities: access denied kernal driver in use: snd_hda_intel

Humm what does that mean? Is it a hardware conflict in the motherboard that is stopping it working?

I have read that this is an issue with other people, not too common and it looks like the sound chip is just DEAD.....I don't know. It's strange.

This looks sort of like what I am after but if the hardware is not working or not being "seen" by Windows I am not sure that doing these fixes will help. I haven't tried them yet.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/download-reinstall-realtek-hd-audio-manager-windows

I also might remove the video card and see if the on-board video works then see if the chip "turns on" and if Windows "finds" it, perhaps it is disabled when a graphics card using HDMI is installed.

Has anybody else had a issue like this with these boards?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Did you also install the Realtek drivers from the Motherboard manufacturer?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Interesting if it doesn't show up in the device manager as a unknown device then the odds are not good
you can try toggling the onboard audio option in the bios
turn it off do a full shutdown
boot into windows
full shutdown
turn it back on
-repeat

while you are in there try disabling the global C state control option sometimes that resolves audio funk on amd
else its probly time to get a sound card or usb3 dac

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Realtek audio has generic drivers that "just work" in windows and linux, with the installable drivers really just adding a control panel for some of the optional features

The onboard audio should always be there, even if another GPU is detected - the only time it 'greys out' in windows is if you have nothing plugged into it
I assume you tested front and rear ports and checked the front audio cable is connected?

If its enabled in the BIOS but doesnt show in a clean unmodified windows install, then the board may just be faulty.

Last edited:
Did you also install the Realtek drivers from the Motherboard manufacturer?
Yes I think so, I used the ones from the Asus web site first. Many of the drivers just don't see any hardware and just terminate. One seemed to work but I still don't see it in device manager. However the device is detected when I use utility to scan for hardware, so it would seem something is going on..

Interesting if it doesn't show up in the device manager as a unknown device then the odds are not good
you can try toggling the onboard audio option in the bios
turn it off do a full shutdown
boot into windows
full shutdown
turn it back on
-repeat

while you are in there try disabling the global C state control option sometimes that resolves audio funk on amd
else its probly time to get a sound card or usb3 dac
I tried toggling on and off the on-board audio in the BIOS, no effect. Perhaps without a full shut down...and the C state thing sounds interesting, what's that?

Realtek audio has generic drivers that "just work" in windows and linux, with the installable drivers really just adding a control panel for some of the optional features

The onboard audio should always be there, even if another GPU is detected - the only time it 'greys out' in windows is if you have nothing plugged into it
I assume you tested front and rear ports and checked the front audio cable is connected?

If its enabled in the BIOS but doesnt show in a clean unmodified windows install, then the board may just be faulty.
I am thinking the board is faulty but hope springs eternal. I am looking at adding another sound card now and giving up on it....Its a strange problem.

So I have gone for a clean install of Windows again, straight away I ran the included installation CD/DVD and loaded up the chipset AM4 drives, reboot, then the audio drivers, reboot. Still the audio hardware is not presant/not detected BUT if I ran this little app, HWiNFO64.exe it scans the PC and reports what it finds and it does seem to "FIND" the audio device.....See the screen shot.
HWiNFO64 Cap.jpg.jpg

What on earth???? I have loaded up the software suite and all the other apps, checked for updates, nothing found and a few of the apps won't update either. I haven't tried to install anything else so far, not even any Windows updates. Under device manager it's just the Nvidia audio device.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
the amd audio controller IS NOT the onboard audio chip
those are nearly always realtek based
if you don't see a Realtek vend id the chip is probly dead

This motherboard did have a good degree of CPU/socket abuse before I saw it...goodness know what the owner did to it, its had boards swapped out and the CPU was totally bonded to the cooler heat sink. The whole thing came when I took of the cooler!!!! If they had removed it from the first board it would have pulled out the socket for them too, looking at the first board I think there is damage to the socket pins as well. If they then tried to get it seated into the replacement board I am sure they would have failed to get it seated properly.

I found that they also had an issue with using two RAM sticks as well, I tried one, got it to boot, upgraded the BIOS, two sticks OK now and running on XMP.

Its a miracle it works at all really, the guy gave it to me and it was a dead dog, I coaxed it back to life.

Everything looks pretty much OK so far, its just the sound. I have a PCIe sound card here I could fit and be done with it. Good info on the AMD controller. It is a realtek chip

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
This makes me suspect a broken-off SMD component!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
This motherboard did have a good degree of CPU/socket abuse before I saw it...goodness know what the owner did to it, its had boards swapped out and the CPU was totally bonded to the cooler heat sink. The whole thing came when I took of the cooler!!!! If they had removed it from the first board it would have pulled out the socket for them too, looking at the first board I think there is damage to the socket pins as well. If they then tried to get it seated into the replacement board I am sure they would have failed to get it seated properly.

I found that they also had an issue with using two RAM sticks as well, I tried one, got it to boot, upgraded the BIOS, two sticks OK now and running on XMP.

Its a miracle it works at all really, the guy gave it to me and it was a dead dog, I coaxed it back to life.

Everything looks pretty much OK so far, its just the sound. I have a PCIe sound card here I could fit and be done with it. Good info on the AMD controller. It is a realtek chip

Thats normal for the stock heatsink, you need to heat it up and twist to remove
If you have damaged pins you need to straighten them, if they're snapped off there is a mod you can do to replace them (i wrote a guide about it, somewhere - my 2700x has three ghetto pins)

Do all PCI-E slots work, and other onboard devices?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Clear CMOS by reading your motherboard manual.

Go into the uefi bios and make sure it is enabled, if you can't find HD audio or it's not detected by windows then the codec is dead and you will need to rma the motherboard or just get a dedicated sound card.