• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI b85-G43-Gaming not booting?

This sort of links into my last post but it's sort of a separate issue. I have been given a non-booting PC with an MSI B85-G43-Gaming motherboard in it with a i7 -4770K CPU in it to fix. It doesn't boot up.

I have tried, another PSU, installing a beep-speaker, no beeps, adjusting the RAM, no RAM, one stick the other stick, re-seating the CPU, checking the pins, a jumper pin CMOS re-set, a CMOS battery out, CMOS reset, a new CMOS battery, removing all the connections to the board, removing the video card and using the internal graphics system and still it won't boot. The fans on the board turn on but nothing else.

I think its a dead board. Now the thing is, looking around the Ebay, it would seem that there are quite a few vendors selling BIOS chips for this motherboard which I find unusual, is this because this board had poor quality BIOS chips that fail? I also can see that this board is fairly rare and there aren't many about unless you get one from China. This suggests that it might have not been very long-lived in Europe, not surprising perhaps as the CPU wasn't around for long either.

Any suggestion on what else I could try to get it to boot or comments about this motherboard? This version of the board doesn't have dual-BIOS either.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Update the bios

Yes, this is what I am going to try to do before I do anything else drastic to this PC. Interestingly I have just had another one in to look at. An Asus Sabretooth a Z97 chipset...no less and it is not booting either....well it is sort of....

After a few hard power downs and CMOS resetting and pressing of the MEM OK button it did post then it said updating BIOS do not unplug etc...then just sat there for 20 mins, I had to power it down. It is trying to update the BIOS every time it "boots" now and it's failing....So I will try to use the BIOS flash back feature and do a USB update...hopefully this will fix this one. Thankfully turning it off after it getting stuck on updating BIOS hasn't made it any worse anyway and at least it is almost working....It's 75% a PC so there is hope for this one...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sounds like cpu is toast

Sounds like cpu is toast
Really? Do these CPU turn to toast more easily than other ones? As it happens I have two PC's here now both of them won't boot and I think they have the same CPU's. I think I might take the opportunity to swap the CPU's around and see what happens. The Asus Sabretooth Z97 version1 is telling me that the CPU is in-operable....

msib85g43

This sort of links into my last post but it's sort of a separate issue. I have been given a non-booting PC with an MSI B85-G43-Gaming motherboard in it with a i7 -4770K CPU in it to fix. It doesn't boot up.

I have tried, another PSU, installing a beep-speaker, no beeps, adjusting the RAM, no RAM, one stick the other stick, re-seating the CPU, checking the pins, a jumper pin CMOS re-set, a CMOS battery out, CMOS reset, a new CMOS battery, removing all the connections to the board, removing the video card and using the internal graphics system and still it won't boot. The fans on the board turn on but nothing else.

I think its a dead board. Now the thing is, looking around the Ebay, it would seem that there are quite a few vendors selling BIOS chips for this motherboard which I find unusual, is this because this board had poor quality BIOS chips that fail? I also can see that this board is fairly rare and there aren't many about unless you get one from China. This suggests that it might have not been very long-lived in Europe, not surprising perhaps as the CPU wasn't around for long either.

Any suggestion on what else I could try to get it to boot or comments about this motherboard? This version of the board doesn't have dual-BIOS either.

OP, I am currently dealing with a similar issue. I just purchased an MSI B85 G43 to replace what seemed like a dead board from a Dell XPS 8700.
I was previously using an i7 4770k but have upgraded to an i7 4790k as someone pointed out in this thread that the problem could be a dead CPU.

I've still been unable to determine the cause of the fault, but so far my problems are as follows:
The motherboard is only hardly ever successful at booting, and getting this to happen seems like a work of art more than anything.
I have been able to get it booting into Ubuntu as well as Windows, and have accessed the BIOS a few times but have been running into problems with this.
Here are the phases that my motherboard will go through:
1. The PC turns on, as you said the fans work, so the RGB works as well, and I'll see something of a heartbeat from the keyboard and mouse.
2. The keyboard and mouse shut off and become unresponsive
3. Nothing happens for a while, it doesn't seem like any OS is loaded because pressing the power button turns the machine off immediately.
4. If I wait long enough, I will see the system eventually boot into Windows.

One of my drives seems to be a bit slower, either due to age or 92% disk utilization, however the problem persists even after unplugging it.

As @FreedomEclipse pointed out, my next step is to update the BIOS, but I'm having difficulty accessing it due to how long it takes to start up.

If you were able to solve this problem, please let me know how.

msib85g43

A few updates with my issue, I've since updated the BIOS firmware but this hasn't solved the problem.
I did end up figuring out the root cause of the issue and a faulty HDD was to blame. After unplugging its SATA cord from the motherboard, everything booted immediately. I'm guessing that the motherboard was attempting to read some value from the HDD, which caused it to hang an extremely long period of time.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
A few updates with my issue, I've since updated the BIOS firmware but this hasn't solved the problem.
I did end up figuring out the root cause of the issue and a faulty HDD was to blame. After unplugging its SATA cord from the motherboard, everything booted immediately. I'm guessing that the motherboard was attempting to read some value from the HDD, which caused it to hang an extremely long period of time.
That happened to me During the Skt A days, with a Sony CDRW on a IDE (PATA) cable, once I removed the drive everything booted up fast.

Sounds like The SATA controller on that HDD is on its way out.

msib85g43

That happened to me During the Skt A days, with a Sony CDRW on a IDE (PATA) cable, once I removed the drive everything booted up fast.

Sounds like The SATA controller on that HDD is on its way out.

Yep, so I ended up replacing the HDD with a new one and now the mobo boots instantly.
This is probably unrelated to OP's original issue, but hopefully he was able to figure his out as well.