• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cancelled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 12GB Rebadged as RTX 4070 Ti, Bound for January?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Exactly. Stop being sheep, because you are if you think some social media noise constitutes what actually happens on the market - or in the world tbh.

That whole line of communication is one big troll & bait. Those that take it, are the losers here - they make their minds ready for a purchase no one in their right mind would approve.

People are not lining up for 900 dollar GPUs like this. They never did and never will. This segment still covers a mere 3-5% of the entire discrete GPU market. And you know what, the vast majority retweeting for the popularity contest hasn't even got the money to buy anything remotely like it. They're just there for entertainment, which is manipulative practices. That's what trolling is all about. If you base your opinion off (sometimes adult-) kids with too much time on their phone, you've really lost the plot. But that's what we do...

Social media has been one massive marketing channel since Facebook. People should have understood that by now, but apparently, a lot of them think they're smarter than that. That is also why they create their own theories - they damn well found it on the internet through 'research', so its true, when in reality those are all self fulfilling prophecies, because that is how the algorithms on social media work to create revenue/profit. People are literally the product and they don't realize it.

Consumers are the ones with power, but they are being manipulated, and there should be a wise government above them to keep that manipulation out of markets.

That last part is missing, and thus, so is the first. Completely free markets have never worked, ever, anywhere, at anytime. Regulation always happened, or protectionism, or whatever to keep 'free markets' in check. Through globalization, those checks and balances are under pressure, and internet made it a free for all. Ever since, things are spiralling out of control, and people slowly earned a new level of stupidity. Collectively, because we are all influenced by it.
This is the sober take on the matter.

Chronic onlineness goes missed by people now the same way TV brain rot went overlooked in the 80s. It used to be limited to loners, but now, even your average normie is internet-brained.

So much has changed when it comes to what influences people and we havent caught up. I dont really fault people entirely for their poor decisions and observations. When it comes to the internet, there are a lot of natural biases at play. I think we are all a little lost these days. I think the levels of manipulation and confusion introduced by the internet functionally disempower people when it comes to thinking for themselves and properly protecting their interests. Toxic behaviors and attitudes have been normalized to the point where I dont think your average person even appreciates the levels of negativity and and internet-based meta-thinking they carry with them as a simple byproduct of constant engagement with social media. The screen still turns off, but you dont fully leave that reality.

I like to think there is a lot about human decision making that happens outside of a person's awareness. We are collectively learning what it means to take that for granted. At some point, a person has to look inward at all of the meaningless things that have come to live inside them and start asking where it is all coming from.

Sadly, the pace of modern living essentially deprives many of much opportunity or even encouragement to keep to that level of introspection. I think the amount of effort it takes now is unreasonable to hold people to. Emotional fatigue sets in and people understandably reach for what is closest to them for resolution. To me its a simple matter of society leaving more people in that position than it used to.

I think with more understanding and yes, regulation, peoples habits in discussing, observing, and buying would change too. As it is now, the internet is a decision-making and emotional-processing hazard that nobody is prepared for and many are taking major advantage of - its a novel drug.

Yup. The 3080 is a "$699" MSRP after all, and despite the mad pricing for most of its life you can now buy them used for $550 as well as find them at MSRP.
Yup unless they where a mining card the fools are taking a bath and probably lining up to do the same again cus you can't fix stupid.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
This could be "addressed" by saying "you know, 4090 is much faster than usual" (which it actually isn't, but hey).

However, consequences from that statement should be a much more modest pricing on the lower part of the lineup, which is nowhere to be seen.

I could imagine that that faux "4nm" process is quite pricey, so NV won't be able to have competitive pricing anywhere where AMD's MCM chips (with cheaper memory!!!) are present.
We don't kniow which variant of N4 Ada uses, but the vanilla N4 is expected to be cheaper than N5.
TSMC says that N4 will use EUV for more layers thereby reducing the number of steps and masks, thus offering a cost advantage.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Yup unless they where a mining card the fools are taking a bath and probably lining up to do the same again cus you can't fix stupid.
I'd buy a mining card without a second thought (assuming it didn't look like it had been jet-washed by an idiot).

Worst-case scenario is that the GPU fans need replacing at $40 or so.
Best-case scenario is that the fans are fine and it's had the shitty stock VRAM pads replaced more carefully than the typical slap-dash, inaccurate factory job and with better quality pads. GDDR6X cooling was money for ETH miners, most of the 3080 and 3090 cards of small-scale miners would have been repadded because it paid for itself quickly in hashrate, and more hashrate equalled more profits.

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
they are becoming more and more ridiculous... :kookoo:

Looking forward to see some real review about 7900XTX and I'll say goodbye to Nvidia again.

So how will Nvidia fanboys explain now why there is absolutely nothing wrong to pay $900 for a card that is barely faster than the one released two years ago for $700?

Why should thee be price / performance increase, right?

They will use DLSS 3.0 as an excuse. Nvidia is going to go hard on the marketing that fake frames are just as good as actual rendered frames.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
The only way for enjoyable RT experience with rx7000 is with FSR2 Quality + Frame generation (so basically FSR3), but we don't know how FSR3 will turn out yet.

Where have you heard about AMD also having frame generation?

AMD talked about FSR3 sure, but i don't recall anything about frame generation.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Where have you heard about AMD also having frame generation?

AMD talked about FSR3 sure, but i don't recall anything about frame generation.
The tidbits dropped about FSR3 strongly hint at it being similar to DLSS3; of course, I could be wrong, but I don't see how they could double performance compared to FSR2 otherwise.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I don't see how they could double performance compared to FSR2 otherwise

More hardware dedicated "real estate" as well as a better implementation of the technology?

Thus far, NOTHING of what AMD said about FSR3 even SUGGESTS frame generation, IMO.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
More hardware dedicated "real estate" as well as a better implementation of the technology?

Thus far, NOTHING of what AMD said about FSR3 even SUGGESTS frame generation, IMO.
In the live stream, they said
Introducting FSR 3, temporal super resolution and fluid motion.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
And that "says" frame generation?
That, coupled with the 2x performance increase, far beyond what FSR2 could do, hints at frame generation. Again, this is speculation, and I might be very wrong.

Reactions: HTC
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I bet their reasoning is "tougher economic environment goes both ways" - they have to pay higher energy bills, higher shipping, there are uncertainties regarding ordering components from China, and even Taiwan...

Energy prices and shipping costs are already factored into inflation values. Consumers end up paying those costs regardless because products have to be shipped to the store / end consumer.

Even when you factor in inflation, it doesn't come close to justifying the prices.

And if there are less buyers due to high inflation and recession, the remaining buyers will have to cover for the rest of us. Makes sense, no?

Raising prices only further reduces the number of people that will or can buy a product. I don't really see how it can be a good idea to increase prices even more to offset those looses when the very action will further reduce your customer base and thus defeat the purpose. People can easily just skip a generation or just buy last gen. There's also consoles as well. Hard to justify the cost of single PC parts that's equal to multiple consoles before factoring in the rest of the PC.

With AMD going the efficiency/underperforming route, are we ever gonna see a 48GB TITAN before 2024?

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
That, coupled with the 2x performance increase, far beyond what FSR2 could do, hints at frame generation. Again, this is speculation, and I might be very wrong.

I see why you think that, but it could just as easily be because of more "real estate" hardware dedicated for it.

We'll have to wait until it's reviewed ...

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Exactly. Stop being sheep, because you are if you think some social media noise constitutes what actually happens on the market - or in the world tbh.

That whole line of communication is one big troll & bait. Those that take it, are the losers here - they make their minds ready for a purchase no one in their right mind would approve.

People are not lining up for 900 dollar GPUs like this. They never did and never will. This segment still covers a mere 3-5% of the entire discrete GPU market. And you know what, the vast majority retweeting for the popularity contest hasn't even got the money to buy anything remotely like it. They're just there for entertainment, which is manipulative practices. That's what trolling is all about. If you base your opinion off (sometimes adult-) kids with too much time on their phone, you've really lost the plot. But that's what we do...

Social media has been one massive marketing channel since Facebook. People should have understood that by now, but apparently, a lot of them think they're smarter than that. That is also why they create their own theories - they damn well found it on the internet through 'research', so its true, when in reality those are all self fulfilling prophecies, because that is how the algorithms on social media work to create revenue/profit. People are literally the product and they don't realize it.

Consumers are the ones with power, but they are being manipulated, and there should be a wise government above them to keep that manipulation out of markets.

That last part is missing, and thus, so is the first. Completely free markets have never worked, ever, anywhere, at anytime. Regulation always happened, or protectionism, or whatever to keep 'free markets' in check. Through globalization, those checks and balances are under pressure, and internet made it a free for all. Ever since, things are spiralling out of control, and people slowly earned a new level of stupidity. Collectively, because we are all influenced by it.
A few years ago, I started to see a similarity between personal cars and personal computers, and it seems to grow bigger each gen: now owning a "high end PC" is like a lifestyle; people are posting their rigs, desk setup with a really intricate aesthetic, streamers/content creator are the new rich celebrities, and owning a sick rig makes you "closer to them and they lifestyle". Your setup is also a mark of status and professional success.

It's not just about what the computer can provide to you, the computer itself is part of the prize. Nvidia decided that they would stop being Toyota and become Porsche instead. The Titan and xx90 being prosumers model made sense. The xx80Ti being a luxury good was also "fine". A regular xx80 owner didn't lose too much. But now? RTX 4000 line up doesn't make sense in a lot of case

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (387W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.3.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)

Exactly:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'd buy a mining card without a second thought (assuming it didn't look like it had been jet-washed by an idiot).

Worst-case scenario is that the GPU fans need replacing at $40 or so.
Best-case scenario is that the fans are fine and it's had the shitty stock VRAM pads replaced more carefully than the typical slap-dash, inaccurate factory job and with better quality pads. GDDR6X cooling was money for ETH miners, most of the 3080 and 3090 cards of small-scale miners would have been repadded because it paid for itself quickly in hashrate, and more hashrate equalled more profits.
I wasn't saying anything about mining card's being poor quality but more about the possible bath (high loss) owners where likely to have unless the card was used for mining and the willingness they have to do it all again.

System Name Main
Processor 5700X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC 8GB GDDR6X
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case NOX HUMMER ZN
Power Supply Seasonic GX-750
Although I understand that Nvidia's marketing department tried to "pull a fast one" with the previous naming scheme, and would have fooled some folks, in the end what I believe should matter is:
  1. "raw" perf/$ (without DLSS)
  2. perf/W
  3. features
99. Name​

Some scenarios:
  • New card has better perf/$ than last gen (comparing actual current pricing)= GOOD (like OG Titan vs 970)
  • New card has better perf/$ than last gen with bad/misleading name = still GOOD (like when they said 970 4G, but really was 970 3,5G)
  • New card has better perf/$ than last gen AND better perf/W = GREAT!
  • New card has better perf/$ than last gen, better perf/W AND useful new features = EXCELLENT!!!
It's true that we've seen big perf/$ uplifts gen-on-gen, but it wasn't the on the latest top-tier/halo products from Nvidia. As long as it happens somewhere along the product stack it should be a win.
Could it be better if they weren't as greedy? Probably...

dukki98

Why? Because it is a *04 chip? If so, they have used *04 in 80-series before. See GTX980.

I am glad that they are at least, finally, making some sense out of this product by rebranding it as the 4070ti. I have said this since they announced the 4080 duo.
No, because of the 192bit bus and ~300mm2 of silicon like a fucking GTX 1660! The chip name really doesn't matter, the memory bus width and the amount of silicon does, and when it comes to those 2, they nerfed all the chips bellow 103 compared to many previous gens!

Maybe AMD is talking out their ass too, using FSR Performance just to bring FPS >60 with RT :laugh:, meanwhile without FSR it looks like FPS are around 20-25
4K FSR 2.0 Performance looks very acceptable my friend, not really that much difference compared to DLSS 2.0 Performance so stop licking Nvidia's boots

System Name Lexx
Processor Threadripper 2950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32/64GB Corsair 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Liquid Devil 6900XT
Storage 4TB Solid State PCI/NVME/M.2
Display(s) LG 34" Curved Ultrawide 160Hz
Case Thermaltake View T71
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Asus
VR HMD NA
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm assuming that, given FSR2.x is a software solution that runs off the shaders (let's say), FSR3.x might appropriately use RDNA3's AI accelerators.

Hopefully it won't be fake frames like DLSS3.x, and if the AI accelerators don't speed up FSR, then that's a bit disappointing.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
wasn't cancelled............it was rebranded ;)

Yes friends. Please vote with your wallets.

I got sucked into the whole crypto sh*t, investing in a top of the line GPU, thinking it would pay for itself in just a few months of mining... So, I and ended up paying $2,600 for my 3090 Strix White after taxes. The only card I could find at my local MicroCenter. I had been looking for 7 or 8 months. People were lining up at 2am, some coming from out of state. It was a nightmare to get a card back then. My GTX 1070 Ti had gone belly up.

A little over a year after I bought my card crypto crashed hard.

Talk about buyers remorse...

I'll never pay more than $700 for a "top tier" GPU, ever again.

Besides, my 3090 is still an incredible card that can run all my games maxed out at 1440 ultrawide.

So yeah, lesson learned. Fool me once NVIDIA.

About the 4070 Ti... It's a sham of a card. Did you guys see the colossal performance delta between the 4090 and 4080? The 4070 TI should be another 30% lower than the 4080! Don't buy these overpriced cards guys.

Last edited:
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
4K FSR 2.0 Performance looks very acceptable my friend, not really that much difference compared to DLSS 2.0 Performance so stop licking Nvidia's boots

I have done enough image comparison myself to have informed opinions, but here are professional opinions