• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU not turning on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello first time pc builder here, as the title says the CPU is not turning on, the fans, GPU, and CPU cooler all turn on. I have checked the parts for damages and can't find anything. The CPU doesn't have any bent pins nor did thermal paste get into the pins. The motherboards red led error light for the CPU is lit up that's how I know it's a CPU issue. Alse the bios does support a 5000 series CPU its version is 7d54 v1.1. I have also already done a CMOS reset.
My specs are
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard
MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage
TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive * 2
Video Card
EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING iCX3 GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Video Card
Case
Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan
ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack
Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum didn't see one just for CPU's

izy

Did you check the power cables? ( motherboard too )
Edit: Try to boot with only one stick of ram and be sure you inserted the cpu in the slot correctly, you can just try to do it again just to be sure.
1669254799613.png

izy

Did you try to use BIOS flashback with the last version of the BIOS?

Did you try to use BIOS flashback with the last version of the BIOS?
no I have not. From what I've read thats a rather risky thing to do and i didn't want to damage anything else.

izy

No its not , you can even do it without the CPU inside, ***just be sure your power wont go down.

izy

well dang, it didn't work
Too bad , did the flashback didnt work or the system after the bios update ?

If you sure that all the cables are OK i dont know what else you can try , you need to test your cpu in some other motherboard.

Last edited:
The flashback worked, but the CPU led error light is still lit up. I don't have access to another pc to test my CPU in a different motherboard. I've already requested a replacement and if that doesn't work, I know it's either the motherboards itself which is unlikely because everything else works. or more likely I just screwed up my cables somehow.

izy

The flashback worked, but the CPU led error light is still lit up. I don't have access to another pc to test my CPU in a different motherboard. I've already requested a replacement and if that doesn't work, I know it's either the motherboards itself which is unlikely because everything else works. or more likely I just screwed up my cables somehow.
You should try with minimum components outside the case, something similar happened to me some time ago , it was the motherboard pin connector, it was just not pushed all the way in on one side but it can be something else for you not "pushed all way in" :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185158

Memory gets installed slots A2 and B2.
For testing install 1 stick in slot A1.
Must hear click at both ends.

And a picture, or a few pictures maybe someone will see something that stands out.

Alternative to the above, try contacting Asus RMA for a "boot kit" at the bottom of this link.
This will be a free service, just tell them flashback doesn't seem to work.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Check the cpu for bent pins

Check the cpu for bent pins
As I said I'm my original post I have already checked the pins they are in perfect condition. Nothing is visibly damaged.

Memory gets installed slots A2 and B2.
For testing install 1 stick in slot A1.
Must hear click at both ends.

And a picture, or a few pictures maybe someone will see something that stands out.

Alternative to the above, try contacting Asus RMA for a "boot kit" at the bottom of this link.
This will be a free service, just tell them flashback doesn't seem to work.

I have been trying to post a picture but I get told they are to large no matter what I do

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
As I said I'm my original post I have already checked the pins they are in perfect condition. Nothing is visibly damaged.

I have been trying to post a picture but I get told they are to large no matter what I do
Sounds like you need a shop to test the cpu and mobo to avoid having to buy additional hardware. I did that when I got a 5800 OEM from ebay to verify it was working before buying a motherboard

D

Deleted member 185158

Change the camera settings to a lower resolution. My phone does the same thing when set to UHD 108 pixel.

Change the camera settings to a lower resolution. My phone does the same thing when set to UHD 108 pixel.
Ignore the cable management, I had just pulled out the cpu cooler to check the pins so stuff hadn't been adjusted yet.
1669295445183.png
1669295458616.png

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Sometimes simply removing/reseating the CPU will fix it.
just be sure it's down all the way in the socket, latch it and try it.

If that doesn't work then it's probrably a bad chip.
If you have or can get access to another chip, I'd try it too to rule out a potential board problem.

Sometimes simply removing/reseating the CPU will fix it.
just be sure it's down all the way in the socket, latch it and try it.

If that doesn't work then it's probrably a bad chip.
If you have or can get access to another chip, I'd try it too to rule out a potential board problem.
Already doing that, I have gone and requested a replacement cpu. I was just asking on here to see if anyone had any new ideas about what could have been causing the issues. But after trying everything it really does sound like I was just unlucky and got a bad cpu.

System Name My first new build
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B450M mortar max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200@XMP3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Air Cooled
Storage Samsung 870 QVO 1TB x 2, Lexar 256 GB, Western Digital SN550 500 GB nvme
Display(s) 32" LG GN600
Case Aerocool Eclipse
Audio Device(s) Logitech G PRO X/Edifier M201BT
Power Supply MSI MPG AGF 850 watt gold
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Redragon Vara K551P
Software Windows 11
This may be a long process... Take everything out the case and rebuild it on your motherboard box. I had to do that after installing a rear FAN! Suffice to say though, it worked, despite being a real pain in the ass. See if that works for you.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Already doing that, I have gone and requested a replacement cpu. I was just asking on here to see if anyone had any new ideas about what could have been causing the issues. But after trying everything it really does sound like I was just unlucky and got a bad cpu.

I would have had both the cpu and motherboard tested at a shop to verify if either or both are bad, its cheaper than wasting time getting another chip to find your motherboard is bad.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So, it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. And while the ATX Form Factor standard dictates where motherboard mounting holes “can” be on motherboards, it does not dictate where they “will” be. So, one board may have a mounting hole in a specific place while another may not.

A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoffs in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The results range from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to odd "intermittent” problems, to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :(). So, you might want to verify you only inserted a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

As others have suggested, I recommend taking everything out of the case and assembling the computer on a large, unfinished bread/cutting board to see if it boots there. Then inspect the case and verify again, only the necessary standoffs have been installed in the correct places before reassembly inside the case. Double check all your data and power cable connections are correct. This is particularly important for the extra motherboard and graphics card power cables as they are frequently mixed up.

D

Deleted member 185158

Ignore the cable management, I had just pulled out the cpu cooler to check the pins so stuff hadn't been adjusted yet.
Man, that cooler looks like a pain in the rear to install.

There's a decent chance the cpu is DOA. Some say 8-16% failure rates. Which seems entirely possible after just a bit of research.

If you do put everything on the table to test, try the additional 4 pin cpu connector with the 8 pin. Typically you shouldn't need it, but worth a shot.

Man, that cooler looks like a pain in the rear to install.

There's a decent chance the cpu is DOA. Some say 8-16% failure rates. Which seems entirely possible after just a bit of research.

If you do put everything on the table to test, try the additional 4 pin cpu connector with the 8 pin. Typically you shouldn't need it, but worth a shot.
The cooler was a total pain, it's a really good cooler. But man it was a pain. Also I think your right everything works but the cpu and I get the replacement tomorrow so I'll know for certain it I messed something up or if it was just the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.