• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announced as Starfield's Exclusive Partner on PC

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
AMD and Bethesda have today revealed that Starfield will be best experienced on a Ryzen processor and Radeon graphics card-equipped PC. Team Red has been announced as the giant open world game's official graphics and GPU partner, but its Xbox Series hardware also gets a couple of friendly shout-outs. Todd Howard, director and executive producer at Bethesda Game Studios, stated in the video presentation: "We have AMD engineers in our code base working on FSR (FidelityFX Super Resolution) 2.0 image processing and upscaling and it looks incredible. You're going to get the benefits of that obviously on your PC but also on Xbox. We're super excited and can't wait to show everybody more."

Jack Huynh, Senior Vice President and General Manager of its Computing and Graphics Group at AMD, added: "Making this game even more special, is the close collaboration between Bethesda and AMD to unlock the full potential of Starfield. We have worked hand-in-hand with Bethesda Game Studios to optimize Starfield for both Xbox and PC with Ryzen 7000 series processors and Radeon 7000 series graphics. The optimizations both accelerate performance and enhance the quality of your gameplay using highly multi-threaded code that both Xbox and PC players will get to take advantage of."

AMD is proud to announce that we are Bethesda's exclusive PC partner for the next-generation role-playing game, Starfield. Watch this special announcement video to learn how AMD and Bethesda are working together to bring the galaxy to all players this September:

About Starfield
Starfield is the first new universe in over 25 years from Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4. In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom as you embark on an epic journey to answer humanity's greatest mystery. In the year 2330, humanity has ventured beyond our solar system, settling new planets, and living as a spacefaring people. You will join Constellation - the last group of space explorers seeking rare artifacts throughout the galaxy - and navigate the vast expanse of space in Bethesda Game Studios' biggest and most ambitious game.

AMD is the exclusive PC partner for Starfield, promising to deliver the most complete PC gaming experience in the galaxy. We cannot wait to explore the universe with you this September. Ready to learn more?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
There goes all hope of this being decent....... AMD the way it's not meant to be played....

JK lmao.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Works for me on my 5800X3D and 6800XT.
Let's hope that it's not actually a sh*tshow at launch!

System Name Star Killer
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASUS RO STRIX Z790-H
Cooling Corsair 360mm H150 LCD Radiator
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5 5600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 12GB Gaming Trio
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 x 1 | 1TB Crucial Gen 4 SSD x 1 | 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 1
Display(s) 32inch ASUS ROG STRIX 1440p 170hz WQHD x 1, 24inch ASUS 165hz 1080p x 1
Case Lian Li O11D White
Audio Device(s) Creative T100 Speakers , Razer Blackshark V2 Pro wireless
Power Supply EVGA 1000watt G6 Gold
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Wireless with dock
Keyboard ASUS ROG AZOTH
Software Windows 11 pro
Why?????

Why would the do this when 70% of PC players are on NVIDIA and Intel systems. You are cutting more than half the market share from your player base by telling them unless they buy AMD their game will run bad. I am starting to get very tired of these exclusive bullshit releases.

Edit: This also means no DLSS or RTX for starfield. One of the aspects of this game I was most excited for was RTX and the visuals. But since I have a card made by a company with green letters I am not allowed to experience the game at "maximum overdrive super ultra mega resolution 9000 plus + Max" graphics.

System Name His & Hers
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Why?????

Why would the do this when 70% of PC players are on NVIDIA and Intel systems. You are cutting more than half the market share from your player base by telling them unless they buy AMD their game will run bad. I am starting to get very tired of these exclusive bullshit releases.

Because it's Microsoft and they already optimize it somewhat for amd hardware given that's what's in the Series S/X. The majority of their first party titles run great on both hardware makers gpus.

Gears of War, Forza, Halo, Sea of Thieves, all run pretty decently on all hardware.

Only Redfall is pretty shite but that's bad on all hardware.

System Name Cyberdyne Systems Core
Processor AMD Sceptre 9 3950x Quantum neural processor (384 nodes)
Motherboard Cyberdyne X1470
Cooling Cyberdyne Superconduct SC5600
Memory 128TB QRAM
Storage SK 16EB NVMe PCI-E 9.0 x8
Display(s) Multiple LG C9 3D Matrix OLED Cube
Software Skysoft Skynet
"We have worked hand-in-hand with Bethesda Game Studios to optimize Starfield for both Xbox and PC with Ryzen 7000 series processors and Radeon 7000 series graphics"

It's gonna run like shit for you then :D

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Marketing Line "The optimizations both accelerate performance and enhance the quality of your gameplay using highly multi-threaded code that both Xbox and PC players will get to take advantage of."
Reality - We are going to dump the rendering onto two main cores and toss out a a few drawcalls and minor things like audio onto other cores as needed

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
"We have worked hand-in-hand with Bethesda Game Studios to optimize Starfield for both Xbox and PC with Ryzen 7000 series processors and Radeon 7000 series graphics"

It's gonna run like shit for you then :D
Xbox is Zen2+ and RDNA2. I have Zen3+ and RDNA2, I think it'll be fine ;)
Marketing muppets have to push the current-gen, highest-profit parts. It's not their job to tell the truth, and often it's what they're not saying that is most important.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Why?????

Edit: This also means no DLSS or RTX for starfield. One of the aspects of this game I was most excited for was RTX and the visuals. But since I have a card made by a company with green letters I am not allowed to experience the game at "maximum overdrive super ultra mega resolution 9000 plus + Max" graphics.
relax, it's a marketing deal and bethesda games like edler scrolls and fallout always ran well on on Intel & Nvidia. AMD payed them a ton of money so they get their name on the game
Only Redfall is pretty shite but that's bad on all hardware.
Some would say that's a plus since the bad performance across all hardware can prevent you from playing redfall

Last edited:
In the year 2330, humanity has ventured beyond our solar system, settling new planets, and living as a spacefaring people. You will join Constellation - the last group of space explorers seeking rare artifacts throughout the galaxy - and navigate the vast expanse of space in Bethesda Game Studios' biggest and most ambitious game.
Well I'd hope so.

Last? So that means John Connors fluffed his ultimate test 3 centuries back :slap:

JHH still selling those 5 slot monstrosities, huh :shadedshu:

System Name Mah Baby
Processor 11700K
Motherboard Z590 Asrock phantom 4
Cooling Water
Memory 32gb 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X
Storage 4 TB Gen 4 NVME
Display(s) Odyssey Neo G8
Case Fractal Design Define R5 soon to be replaced with ENTHOO PRO 2 SERVER EDITION
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Reference
Power Supply 1000 Watt EVGA
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard logitech g512 silver
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro
There goes the chances of it having smooth DLSS & DLAA

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E-A ROG Strix Gaming Wifi
Cooling ID-Cooling 240X Frost Flow
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X 6000MT/s DDR5
Video Card(s) ASROCK Phantom Gaming 7900xtx
Storage Crucial P3 Plus 2TB, x2 WD SN750 1TB
Display(s) Alienware OLED Ultrawide, Asus ProArt 4K
Case White Fractal North
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Pulsar Wireless x2
Keyboard Keychron 75% with Gateron Box Blacks/Reds
VR HMD HTC Vive (Gen 1)
Why?????

RTX isn't a purely Nvidia concept, RTX is just the technology. They can still implement it into the game, which I suspect they will still do.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E-A ROG Strix Gaming Wifi
Cooling ID-Cooling 240X Frost Flow
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X 6000MT/s DDR5
Video Card(s) ASROCK Phantom Gaming 7900xtx
Storage Crucial P3 Plus 2TB, x2 WD SN750 1TB
Display(s) Alienware OLED Ultrawide, Asus ProArt 4K
Case White Fractal North
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Pulsar Wireless x2
Keyboard Keychron 75% with Gateron Box Blacks/Reds
VR HMD HTC Vive (Gen 1)
I don't see why everyone is freaking out over this? Nvidia does the same thing. It's just a marketing deal and maybe some AMD developers are sent to help. It doesn't mean it's not going to be unplayable on non-AMD hardware.

Last edited:
System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Why?????

You do realize that AMD CPUs are not incompatible with Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs and Nvidia GPUs more or less support the same features.

You'll get official FSR 2.x support that offers good enough upscaling and probably you will get DLSS support either officially a few months latter, or unofficially the next day the game will be released in the form of a patch or something.

You have an RTX 3080, so you are slower than RX 7900XTX in RT, so probably you will get as many RT features as your card will be able to accelerate. In other words the RT effects will not kill your card and make you start thinking going for an RTX 4090.

I would like to hear your perspective about if this game was sponsored by Intel and Nvidia. Would that mean that owners of AMD CPUs and AMD GPUs would feel desperate and left out like you? What would have been your reaction then? What would you say to a GTX or Radeon owner if there was no FSR 2.x support?

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
You do realize that AMD CPUs are not incompatible with Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs and Nvidia GPUs more or less support the same features.

You'll get official FSR 2.x support that offers good enough upscaling and probably you will get DLSS support either officially a few months latter, or unofficially the next day the game will be released in the form of a patch or something.

You have an RTX 3080, so you are slower than RX 7900XTX in RT, so probably you will get as many RT features as your card will be able to accelerate. In other words the RT effects will not kill your card and make you start thinking going for an RTX 4090.

The biggest letdown would be FSR2 only support I personally can't stand it at 4k even in the quality mode but life goes on and as you say it will likely get a mod for DLSS quickly after launch ala Jedi Survivor.

Some would say that's a plus since the bad performance across all hardware can prevent you from playing redfall

Yeah, but that would have been somewhat unfortunate if the game was actually good lol. Thankfully it is not.

Nvidia will gladly offer-up another round of $1000+ video cards to brute-force your way to sweet, sweet frames. </sarcasm not sarcasm>. This game will be big enough on all platforms that Nvidia-specific optimizations won't be ignored for long.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Atleast everyone can use FSR2, despite it looking like a steaming pile of dog shit.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Note that this means that DLSS support has been excluded from the title (allegedly, due to contractual obligations with AMD)

Atleast everyone can use FSR2, despite it looking like a steaming pile of dog shit.

I'll stomach DLSS on the highest quality preset if I can't meet 60 fps at 4K, but I will never use FSR if it can be helped

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Note that this means that DLSS support has been excluded from the title (allegedly, due to contractual obligations with AMD)

I'll stomach DLSS on the highest quality preset if I can't meet 60 fps at 4K, but I will never use FSR if it can be helped

Guessing this game will have more CPU limitations than GPU on the PC side so DLSS probably wouldn't help although DLSS3 can mitigate that somewhat but as we all know Nvidia decided that was for 40 series only.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
Er this is Bethesda, when have they every released a game that wasnt fuill of show stopping bugs on launch. This will be another wait for atleast 2-3 patches and for the price to drop to a reasonable level before I will bother looking at it.

AMD shinanigans aside, nVidia has needed (and continues to need) a kick up the arse like this. Thier hubris and customer unfriendly pricing will hopefully get knocked down a peg or two. And while I now own a 4080, FSR 2.0 is equally inferior to DLSS on AMD/Nvidia hardware.

As ALWAYS, wait for the indipendant reviews.

Last edited:
System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Why?????

What do you want? AMD to role over and die in the consumer dGPU space? I thought we wanted competition, for AMD to get more aggressive....

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
shockingly unintelligent comments, Im disappointed.

Desto2014

True. It’s cool that FSR2 is platform agnostic but it’s actually horrendous. Literally EVERY other upscaling tech is better. DLSS, XeSS, AND MetalFX, look wayyyy better. My rage when games lack other options besides FSR is over 9000.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Guessing this game will have more CPU limitations than GPU on the PC side so DLSS probably wouldn't help although DLSS3 can mitigate that somewhat but as we all know Nvidia decided that was for 40 series only.

and apparently AMD decided that it was good for business to prevent games from having access to that. Shrink that violent gap between 4090+FG and practically everything else a lil'? :rolleyes:

What do you want? AMD to role over and die in the consumer dGPU space? I thought we wanted competition, for AMD to get more aggressive....

Yes, by releasing faster graphics cards that have no high-severity bugs that they've been aware of for months/years, not bribery