• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Introduces Arctic Square for Quad-Core Processors

Bastieeeh

Processor Dual Xeon 2.8GHz
Motherboard Asus PCH-DL
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS XP and Dual Laing
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) Sapphire X800XT
Storage 8x Hitachi 7K250 Raid 5 and 2x WD Raptor74GB Raid 0
Display(s) Eizo 21" FlexScan T966 CRT and S1910 LCD
Case Lian Li PC-V2100B
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Tagan 480W TG480-U01
Taipei, Taiwan, March 22, 2007 - To provide users with a compact sized CPU cooling solution, ASUS has announced the Arctic Square CPU cooler. This compact cooler incorporates innovative features, including double side fins, dynamic fan speed control and four copper heat pipes in order to deliver efficient heat dissipation for the latest quad-core processors. With a small cooler size, the Arctic Square is widely compatible with many motherboards and chassis. The Arctic Square offers quiet performance and a unique design with a blue LED, providing a peaceful computing environment and a stylish system interior.

Powerful Performance with Compact Size
The Arctic Square incorporates a double side fin design that includes "ladder-shaped" fins located on both sides of the cooler for a larger heat exchange area. Four heat pipes made of copper efficiently transfer heat generated by the CPU to the fins, maintaining processor temperature at levels most suitable for high-performance and stable computing. Designed to have a smaller size, the Arctic Square is compatible to many motherboards and chassis - providing reliable PC operating systems.

AMD and Intel Quad-core CPU Support
The Arctic Square supports Intel 's Core 2 Extreme series, Pentium D Dual-Core CPU, and Pentium 4 LGA775 processors; as well as AMD 's Socket AM2/940/939, Athlon 64-FX, Athlon and Sempron processors. Able to support so many different processors, the Arctic Square is ready to cool the latest and most powerful computing platforms in the market.

Voltage Regulation Module Protection
The voltage regulation shield inside the cooler directs airflow created by the 9cm LED fan to surrounding VRM (voltage regulation modules) - critical to processor operation and overall system reliability. This unique design effectively reduces VRM temperature by 10-15˚C.

Easy 3-step Installation
The patented retention module is designed specifically to enable easy cooler installation regardless of the processor platform in three simple steps without even removing the motherboard from the system or memory modules from the board.

1. Place retention set on the motherboard
2. Place cooler over the CPU
3. Lock cooler with spring clip

Specification

Powerful Performance for Overclocking
Copper base with 4 heat pipes provide excellent heat dissipation, efficiently transfer heat to the fins and maintain the temperature for high-performance computing

Compact and Reliable
The Arctic Square incorporated with "Ladder-Shaped" fins on both sides to enlarge heat exchange area for effective cooling and remain its compact design as well

Balance between Performance and Acoustic
PWM function automatically adjusts fan speed according to CPU temperature and delivers a quiet cooling operation

Multiple Application
Universal retention module designed for Intel LGA775 and AMD K8 939/940/AM2 platforms support

Inner Fan Technology
The fan positioned inside the frame for maximum airflow and VRM shield guides cool air to critical components around the CPU for stable operation

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

dsdsdk

lol.. 25 ambient and ~50watt later, idle = 25.. i dont believe it..

edit, ah ups.. delta temperatures..

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.0
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68 V-LE
Cooling Stock Heatsink + 7 Case Fans
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 660
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
Display(s) Optiquest by Viewsonic Q7B-3 Black 17" 8ms Since 2005 (Long Live 5:4)!
Case Xclio Nighthawk Color with additional xclio Color fans
Power Supply Seasonic X 650W Gold
Mouse MX518
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Win 7 Pro 64bit
I love how companies always put "Other brands" to show performance. I'd rather it be stock vs Asus alone, sounds more convincing.

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Best thing about that is the 666 weight :p

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Looks nice, but I highly doubt it cools a quad core chip that effectively.

bucsfan69

Don't know what is wrong with ktr, but if you don't know what your talking about, don't talk. I have the asus arctic square, and after arctic silver has had time to break in, my idle temps are 20c on one core, 24c on the other E6600 Conroe core, which relates to 68f and and 73f, and I have the core temp pic to prove it. Room temp was 76f at the time. Under full load of both cores and memory stress test, it never goes above 44c. It is also smaller, lighter, and better looking than most all the "better" coolers out there. And the dude ktr called a liar, consider the source, unfortunately speaks before researching.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Don't know what is wrong with ktr, but if you don't know what your talking about, don't talk. I have the asus arctic square, and after arctic silver has had time to break in, my idle temps are 20c on one core, 24c on the other E6600 Conroe core, which relates to 68f and and 73f, and I have the core temp pic to prove it. Room temp was 76f at the time. Under full load of both cores and memory stress test, it never goes above 44c. It is also smaller, lighter, and better looking than most all the "better" coolers out there. And the dude ktr called a liar, consider the source, unfortunately speaks before researching.

how does an air cooler cool below ambient without the expenditure of energy

ktr

Wow, I have achieve the same temps on stock cooling on a core2. :slap: and that a q6600...

how does an air cooler cool below ambient without the expenditure of energy

The dud is a liar himself...

Plus a cooler that goes from 24c to 44c, a delta of 20c, is a mediocre cooler, which is no better than the stock cooler. A quality cooler like the thermalright, zalmans, etc...would have a delta below 10c.

and look at my rig, i have a cpu that is known to run a tad hot (90nm dual core, toledo). I got the cheapest zalman cooler. I have no intake fans. And my CPU loads at 44c, with all the fans on low.

Over all know one cares where your CPU idles, its matters where it loads, and how much thermal resistance the cooler has.

Last edited:

Namslas90

It is possable to get "reading" at or below ambient temps. But, we all know the accuracy of "readings". To get the results you want just roll-through all available temp monitoring programs until you get one with the readings you want. But, That doesn't make them accurate.

Somebody here at TPU needs to review that cooler.

:toast:

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
It is possable to get "reading" at or below ambient temps. But, we all know the accuracy of "readings". To get the results you want just roll-through all available temp monitoring programs until you get one with the readings you want. But, That doesn't make them accurate.

Somebody here at TPU needs to review that cooler.

:toast:

review of that lump of junk?> neggie

ktr

Those DIY asus coolers are great, but the rest are mediocre to poor...