• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot problem, need help!

Jackaryas

Ok herse my problem:

I left my computer on while i went downstairs to do somthing, i was away around 15 minutes (it had been running fine for ages at this point), when i came back to use it again i realised it had turned off, i guessed it had gone to sleep or somthing which it never usually does, i tried to turn it back on, nothing. i switched off the power supply and then on again, then tried the pc again, a littel flicker of light for around half a second then it wa soff again. So i decided to strip it down to the barebones and find the problem, i have tried with the mobo, cpu and graphics card and the liquid cooling system active, still it wont turn on. I have tried with all the combinations of ram modules (1, 2 and none) i have also tried with another power supply. I have also checked that it is not grounded, i have power to the mobo as the green standby light is on inside. Would i be right in thinking the mobo has gone?, i also checked the cpu and it was fine, i.e not melted :p and the liquid cooling was working fine so no over heating on the cpu fornt.

Here are my barebones specs:

Pentium D 915 @3.1Ghz
Asus P5VDC-x mobo
2x 512 mb ebuyer value ram
ATi Radeon X 1650XT
Thermlatake liquid cooling system.

Sorry for the long read i just need a second opinion so i dont spend £70 on a new mobo that is wasted,

cheers

jack

Grimskull

Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
Cooling OCZ Vendetta
Memory 2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD4870
Storage 4x750GB Samsung on 2xRAID0
Display(s) 2 x 20" Samsung redRose 2ms DVI
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software WIn XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate Dual Boot
Hi jack, wlecome to TPU.

I had a PC yesterday that justpowered dow, wouldnt restart no matter what i did. But i eventually got it going by unplugging all cables and expansion cards from it, shaking it out to make sure nothing was shorting the mobo, connected mouse, monitor, keyboard and power back into it and it powered back up.

I found that it was the USB PCI card that was causing the problem. try what i did, hope it works.

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Processor Amd phenom 2 955 @ 3800
Motherboard msi 790fx-gd70
Cooling coolermaster
Memory 4096 @1600 corsair
Video Card(s) sapphire 5770 @950-1350
Storage 1 seagate 80gb sata2 1 160gb seagate sata
Display(s) 20inch wide lg
Power Supply chieftech 750w
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
any lights on the mobo blinking? any beeps? have you o/c it? my wild guess is it might be psu

Jackaryas

Yes i have overclocked it but i reset the cmos so that should have reset the settings, and i have tried another psu and exactly the same thing happend. I have also removed my pci card now and still the same, could it be the gfx card?

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Processor Amd phenom 2 955 @ 3800
Motherboard msi 790fx-gd70
Cooling coolermaster
Memory 4096 @1600 corsair
Video Card(s) sapphire 5770 @950-1350
Storage 1 seagate 80gb sata2 1 160gb seagate sata
Display(s) 20inch wide lg
Power Supply chieftech 750w
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
Yes i have overclocked it but i reset the cmos so that should have reset the settings, and i have tried another psu and exactly the same thing happend. I have also removed my pci card now and still the same, could it be the gfx card?

any lights on the mobo? any post beeps? anything that might tell you that mobo is still live?if there isn't any lights/beeps i might say it is a mobo fault

Jackaryas

Nope no beeps just the green standby light that shows ther eis power, it wont even get to POST, it will only power up for a split second if i disconect and reconect the power supply if i dont then nothing at all.

Jackaryas

Ok it was my GFX card lol, tried with my old one and it boots fine, will be sending it back as its under warrenty and hopfully get a nvidia card to go with the sli board im getting next year :p

cheers for all your responces, jack

Grimskull

Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
Cooling OCZ Vendetta
Memory 2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD4870
Storage 4x750GB Samsung on 2xRAID0
Display(s) 2 x 20" Samsung redRose 2ms DVI
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software WIn XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate Dual Boot
Glad you got it sorted, pity it was your graphics card. Hope the RMA process is fast for you. Let us know how you get on with your new one.

Jackaryas

Yea i liked that card, gotta use my puny X300 now lol grr, i have asked them to give me store credit but i think ill get a replacment lol, wanna try and get one of nvidia 8 series cards ready for dx 10 lol