• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE, another "CPU Fan Error!"

dreadpirateandy

Hey,

I've been having a problem with my computer very similar to the one in this thread:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=15422

Some specs:
Motherboard: ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE
Processor: AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core
RAM: 2 gigs

Basically I got a "CPU Fan Error!" message every time i started my computer.

My fan speed was good, a bit over 3000 RPM, so I just bypassed it and kept using my computer as usual. After a while the motherboard would beep sometimes and the computer would freeze for a few seconds. This happened more and more often until sometimes it would do that nonstop and I had to turn the computer off by holding the power button. So I go into the BIOS and disabled the fan speed monitoring. That doesn't help, I still get the CPU Fan Error message.

Here's where it gets interesting: After much fiddling around with the settings and BIOS and whatnot, it still gets the CPU fan error but now it seems to be unable to detect my operating system (Windows XP). It goes through the startup procedure and after the mobo screen it displays "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." The primary boot device is the hard drive, which used to have no problem starting up as early as this afternoon.

(On another note, the CPU fan error seems to have stopped)

I just would like some suggestions as to what is going on and how I can fix this. I'm pretty sure I destroyed my OS and will need to reformat or something equally silly. (By the way, I tried putting the Windows cd in the drive and booting from that and selecting repair the OS...it gave some error about not finding an OS to repair. If you think it helps I can go and get that error text again.)

Thanks so much for the help.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
what bios are you using? i had that mobo but never that problem. the only issue i had was where i had plugged a sepperate fan into the cpu fan plug (as i used a TEC block to cool cpu) and this fan got jammed by a wire, then after x amount of minutes windows would shut down by itself. lol thought id buggered something but all was well after i removed the jam

dreadpirateandy

Well, I fixed the problem I was having. I disconnected half of the things in my computer and reconnected them. everything seemed to be connected the correct way, but the problem was solved when I reconnected the hard drive cable. I doubt it got dislodged, so the mobo might have just forgot it was plugged in. That still doesn't explain the ever-present CPU fan error message. Ah well, as long as its working now.

by the way, my BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. 0311

Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, I fixed the problem I was having. I disconnected half of the things in my computer and reconnected them. everything seemed to be connected the correct way, but the problem was solved when I reconnected the hard drive cable. I doubt it got dislodged, so the mobo might have just forgot it was plugged in. That still doesn't explain the ever-present CPU fan error message. Ah well, as long as its working now.

by the way, my BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. 0311

omg, that bios is ANCIENT!!!!

Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Software Windows 10 Pro
wow really? how would I go about fixing that?

go to the asus website, then in the search bos to the left product search a8r32

then go to bios, get the latest and flash it in windows using the asus update.

or easier, just on using the asus update program select update from internet

bingo!