• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Demonstrates Real-time Interactive Ray-tracing

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
My friend's dad who works for AMD told me on the phone last night that the basic components used to play the Cinema 2.0 demo was the V5700 on a 9950 BE Phenom with 4GB of DDR2 RAM, no OC was in the process. I see a more compatible approach compared to enough computer workstation power to overclock a space station...

lol I had to look up the V5700 :eek:
I guess that makes since, it was a tech demo so it would make since that they used 2 workstation cards vs. a Hd series card.

Another thing to consider BEFORE talking about the hardware used is that this demo was at 1920x1200 while the other one was on 720p. And forget about resolution scalability of raster renderers, ray-tracing is 100% dependant on resolution. You can't compare both demos because they are very different, and both are as impressive. In a manner, this one is even more impressive, as I remember reading that Ati couldn't achieve such high resolutions no matter how much hardware they used.

Very Very true, my monitor looks better at 1680x1050 than 1920x1200 anyway. +1 for me :) (and 10%+ Performance increase)

rflair

System Name Main PC
Processor Intel Q9550@3.83GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E
Cooling Thermalright TRU120
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) ATI 4890@940/1100
Storage 3.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Dell, 42" Sharp Aquos
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy ZS
Power Supply PC P&C 860
Software Windows 7 SP1 x64
@ GSG-9

What I was saying from my first post was that there is a reason the Nvidia ray trace demo use an all grey environment, its easier to calculate just one color and its gradient shades being reflected, after all the only thing showcasing ray tracing is the car itself, the environment is not showing any and in one of the pics where the car appears to be near the glass of the building ray tracing should be happening to the glass.

Nvidia's ray tracing demo isn't truly environmental it specific to the car.

Ati's demo is just a better demo of ray tracing, the environment and all objects have ray tracing, plus color and nice textures.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283
Memory 4GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3
Video Card(s) GigaByte Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4
Storage WD Caviar Black 640GB, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster F2380M
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy ES 5.1
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64
My friend's dad who works for AMD told me on the phone last night that the basic components used to play/develop the Cinema 2.0 demo was the V5700 on a 9950 BE Phenom with 4GB of DDR2 RAM, no OC was in the process. I see a more compatible approach compared to enough computer workstation power to diagnose a space station...

Lol, you say this demo was presented on two 128-bit hd3800 (codenamed rv670)? :twitch:

Sorry, v5700 based on rv730, not rv670. Anyway its less powerful than a hd3850/3870.

Last edited:

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
@ GSG-9

What I was saying from my first post was that there is a reason the Nvidia ray trace demo use an all grey environment, its easier to calculate just one color and its gradient shades being reflected, after all the only thing showcasing ray tracing is the car itself, the environment is not showing any and in one of the pics where the car appears to be near the glass of the building ray tracing should be happening to the glass.

Nvidia's ray tracing demo isn't truly environmental it specific to the car.

Ati's demo is just a better demo of ray tracing, the environment and all objects have ray tracing, plus color and nice textures.

FALSE and IT DOES.

http://www.techreport.com/image.x/2...me_raytracing_at_Siggraph/NVIDIA_RT_demo1.jpg

Not only that, but if you look enough on the image you will see that the building is reflected in the reflection of the card being reflected in the building glass. That is at least 3 bounces. And that's another thing we don't know and we shouldn't be talking about performance without that data. Nvidia could be calculating up to 10 bounces while Ati only one or two. The thing is we don't know a shit...

All that I can say is search a bit, learn a bit.

rflair

System Name Main PC
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper
Storage 3.5 TB
Case Antec 900
Power Supply PC P&C 860
Give up guys. If they can't understand my last post, they will not understand why it doesn't matter that the Ati one looks better.

*It doesn't matter if that texture is a beatiful high detailed one or a completely grey one. In both cases the operation "LOAD_TEX (x,y)" or whatever the name it has, DOES occur. The "performance hit" is the same in both cases. Understand this for once before continuing with the nonsense and the acusations FFS.

So what you are saying is that a true environment which has multiple colors and light being refracted from many angles and effecting the surfaces it ends up on is the same as flat grey objects doing the same?

rflair

System Name Main PC
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper
Storage 3.5 TB
Case Antec 900
Power Supply PC P&C 860
FALSE and IT DOES.

http://www.techreport.com/image.x/2...me_raytracing_at_Siggraph/NVIDIA_RT_demo1.jpg

Not only that, but if you look enough on the image you will see that the building is reflected in the reflection of the card being reflected in the building glass. That is at least 3 bounces. And that's another thing we don't know and we shouldn't be talking about performance without that data. Nvidia could be calculating up to 10 bounces while Ati only one or two. The thing is we don't know a shit...

All that I can say is search a bit, learn a bit.

Dang never saw that pic, much better view and perspective of what is happening.

Yes and you are right, we don't know enough about either demo.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
So what you are saying is that a true environment which has multiple colors and light being refracted from many angles and effecting the surfaces it ends up on is the same as flat grey objects doing the same?

Indeed. And not only that, but ray-tracing reflection/refraction tests occur on all surfaces and not only on reflective ones. Ray-tracing is a physically correct rendering method. This means it calculates the incidence of light on the surfaces and based on the reflection/refraction indexes it will reflect/refract or not. Not reflective surfaces don't reflect light because it's reflection index is 0, but the same calculation does occur as if it was reflective. The only difference is that the ray won't continue bouncing (won't be reflected) nor it will be splitted, as would be the case on a reflective AND refractive surface, such as glass.

:eek: Splitted does not exist is just split isn't it? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

rflair

System Name Main PC
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper
Storage 3.5 TB
Case Antec 900
Power Supply PC P&C 860
Indeed. And not only that, but ray-tracing reflection/refraction tests occur on all surfaces and not only on reflective ones. Ray-tracing is a physically correct rendering method. This means it calculates the incidence of light on the surfaces and based on the reflection/refraction indexes it will reflect/refract or not. Not reflective surfaces don't reflect light because it's reflection index is 0, but the same calculation does occur as if it was reflective. The only difference is that the ray won't continue bouncing (won't be reflected) nor it will be splitted, as would be the case on a reflective AND refractive surface, such as glass.

Thanks, what you are saying puts everything into perspective and you explained it well.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
Give up guys. If they can't understand my last post, they will not understand why it doesn't matter that the Ati one looks better.

Don't want to insult you, but this just shows your limited knowlegde. For the 2 billio0nth time, this is a tech demo. Ray-tracing in a glance does this: find a surface (polygon), calculate the amount of light reflected/refracted, extract* the color of that position in the poly, move on to the next surface.

*It doesn't matter if that texture is a beatiful high detailed one or a completely grey one. In both cases the operation "LOAD_TEX (x,y)" or whatever the name it has, DOES occur. The "performance hit" is the same in both cases. Understand this for once before continuing with the nonsense and the acusations FFS.

Another thing to consider BEFORE talking about the hardware used is that this demo was at 1920x1200 while the other one was on 720p. And forget about resolution scalability of raster renderers, ray-tracing is 100% dependant on resolution. You can't compare both demos because they are very different, and both are as impressive. In a manner, this one is even more impressive, as I remember reading that Ati couldn't achieve such high resolutions no matter how much hardware they used.

And finally, YES, Ati hardware NOW is a lot better suited for ray-tracing becuse it has tons of shaders and a tesselator. Yet it can't do ray-tracing on a level it would be useful for games. This is a ray-tracing demo, not a demo to see which hardware can run it. Whenever the renderer software is prepared, hardware capable of running it will be released. Or do you honestly believe Nvidia is stupid or that they can't put as many shaders as Ati on one chip? When ray-tracing is mature enough Ati, Intel and Nvidia will all have their capable hardware, don't worry.

Whoa ok ok, but I do agree this is a tech demo. Its just that the shaders could be too complex for the consumers and stuff, who knows how long will the hardware finally catch up. Nvidia was demonstrating ray-tracing, and thats what they did, but the ridiculously expensive setup was running the tech demo at 30fps, its too demanding. Cinema 2.0 on the other has all those physics and stuff to deal with and the requirements don't really seem like a problem, especially when the video looked like it was running at probably 60-80 fps. BTW, insult taken. I'm not really a developer, I'm just a gamer who loves researching hardware every morning/night. However, my friends are mostly friends with developers. Oh and it is running at 1920x1080p, just got off the phone. My friend told me that he got the demo version of Cinema 2.0 a week ago, which had the system requirements on the disk. The setup that I told you were the recommended system requirements not the minimum. The minimum is Athlon X2 5000+, 3GB of RAM, and an HD 3650.

Last edited:

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Thanks, what you are saying puts everything into perspective and you explained it well.

Thanks. And sorry if I was rude at first. I sometimes (maybe always, sadly :() forget that people may lack the knowledge on something because no one cared to teach them. I learnt the lesson, I'll try to be more patient next time. I don't promise anything though. :p

@PCpraiser100

I don't know if things have change with the time and they have improved on that front or not. But the demo they made public was on 720p, I'm sure about that. As well as one of the representatives saying they couldn't achieve higher resolutions at the moment.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Case Antec Three Hundred
Thanks. And sorry if I was rude at first. I sometimes (maybe always, sadly :() forget that people may lack the knowledge on something because no one cared to teach them. I learnt the lesson, I'll try to be more patient next time. I don't promise anything though. :p

@PCpraiser100

I don't know if things have change with the time and they have improved on that front or not. But the demo they made public was on 720p, I'm sure about that. As well as one of the representatives saying they couldn't achieve higher resolutions at the moment.

Dude, its alright. I;m probably a bit more hardwired to AMD. BTW my friend is creating sweet videos and screenshots with the demo of Cinema 2.0, he is even thinking about visually reediting half-life 2 images with DX10.1 images instead, just for fun. its really cool, after all, Gordon's HEV suit really needs more bling lol.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Sweet! And when are we going to see them? :)

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Im glad I went to sleep that could have gotten nasty if I was around. Im still only on 6 hours of sleep though. Almost work time. :wtf:

Dude, its alright. I;m probably a bit more hardwired to AMD. BTW my friend is creating sweet videos and screenshots with the demo of Cinema 2.0, he is even thinking about visually reediting half-life 2 images with DX10.1 images instead, just for fun. its really cool, after all, Gordon's HEV suit really needs more bling lol.

Im confused, he is taking the models from Half life and putting them in this other engine? (Like videos done in 3dsmax except cinema 2.0 and hence real time?)

Last edited:

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Case Antec Three Hundred
Im glad I went to sleep that could have gotten nasty if I was around. Im still only on 6 hours of sleep though. Almost work time. :wtf:

Im confused, he is taking the models from Half life and putting them in this other engine? (Like videos done in 3dsmax except cinema 2.0 and hence real time?)

He is not really putting Half-Life in another engine, he is just modifying the shaders. Anyway, I can't really talk much about it or else people will be lining up for me and my friend so run along home lol. As for seeing screenshots in stuff he can't show me it under certain conditions from AMD. Or else :nutkick:

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
He is not really putting Half-Life in another engine, he is just modifying the shaders. Anyway, I can't really talk much about it or else people will be lining up for me and my friend so run along home lol. As for seeing screenshots in stuff he can't show me it under certain conditions from AMD. Or else :nutkick:

That would be something interesting to have access to. Looking for word to more info.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Case Antec Three Hundred
That would be something interesting to have access to. Looking for word to more info.

Either way, we all know what companies are like when it comes to unveiling something that is expectd to be awesome. They make it better. With that in mind, only time will tell by how often will this software be used. Moving on to Ray-Tracing plz.

PrudentPrincess

System Name Foobox3000
Processor Core 2 Duo 36750@3.46ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800gtx
Storage 500gb 7200prm IDE
Display(s) Sceptre 19"
Case Apevia X-Qpack 2 Red
Power Supply 500w Apevia generic
Phew I'm glad this thread calmed down if you kept going on arguing and calling eachother names the thread would probably be closed and infractions would be handed out. (If they haven't already :laugh:)

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
The lighting is very nice. I want to see this in games. :D

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Phew I'm glad this thread calmed down if you kept going on arguing and calling eachother names the thread would probably be closed and infractions would be handed out. (If they haven't already :laugh:)

I think we had some leeway left ;), Remember the thread on Religion Islam and Candle Which spawned out of of thread on Iraq? As long as its contained and stays on topic..