• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Will Defend Patent Rights Against AMD

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nobody was saying that about AMD -- the poster was stating that consumers don't want Intel to be a monopoly. I'm sure would agree with this.

I agree entirely that Monopolies are a bad thing, especially for the consumer. However, his statement seems to be a negative one towards Intel, implying that they are they are some evil company because they want there to be no competition, when the fact is that every company wants the same thing.

Monopoly: exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. [source]

You wouldn't say that Intel has the ability to manipulate the prices of CPU's in the market? :confused:

No, Intel does not have the ability to manipulate prices of CPU's. If they did have the ability to manipulate the prices of CPU's then we would see outragous prices on them. They can't just pick their prices, they currently have to stay within reasonable competive price ranges with AMD's offerings. They can push the prices lower if they wanted, but so can AMD if they wanted also, that is the nature of competition.

So if i understand you correctly Intel gives AMD the x86 license and AMD gives Intel the x64 license, right? If thats the case cant AMD just use only their x64 license and not use x86 if Intel takes it away from them? Or am i missing something here?
The x64 is a sub architecture of the x86 instruction set. Without the x86 the x64 wouldn't work, it is an expansion of it (so to speak) not a complete instruction set.
How I understand it.

Reactions: KBD

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
The x64 is a sub architecture of the x86 instruction set. Without the x86 the x64 wouldn't work, it is an expansion of it (so to speak) not a complete instruction set.
How I understand it.

thnx for clearng that up. i always thought x64 was a set in its own right independent of but based on the x86 instruction set. One learns something new every day.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
I agree entirely that Monopolies are a bad thing, especially for the consumer. However, his statement seems to be a negative one towards Intel, implying that they are they are some evil company because they want there to be no competition, when the fact is that every company wants the same thing.

I didn't infer that from his statement at all. He seemed to state only that if Intel "got their way" (which is to be the only company -- a belief that you said that all companies have), we would be paying the same prices for a long time for very little improvement in performance, which is more than likely true.

No, Intel does not have the ability to manipulate prices of CPU's. If they did have the ability to manipulate the prices of CPU's then we would see outragous prices on them. They can't just pick their prices, they currently have to stay within reasonable competive price ranges with AMD's offerings. They can push the prices lower if they wanted, but so can AMD if they wanted also, that is the nature of competition.

The manipulation of prices happens other ways, too -- take this scenario:

1) Intel forces a manufacturer to buy only their chips because they threaten to not sell to a vendor at all, knowing that other companies (like AMD) couldn't possibly meet the vendor's demand.

2) The vendor has no choice but to buy only Intel's chips, even though they could freely buy from both.

3) Intel can now charge whatever they want to this vendor.

Intel has been charged with this before, in Japan. [Source]

It's not AMD's fault that they can't produce the same volume of chips as Intel -- they don't need to. They'll sell what they can, and Intel will pick up the rest of the business.

However, this isn't enough for Intel, and they seek to put AMD out of business, when in reality both companies could free coexist.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
So if i understand you correctly Intel gives AMD the x86 license and AMD gives Intel the x64 license, right? If thats the case cant AMD just use only their x64 license and not use x86 if Intel takes it away from them? Or am i missing something here?

The x86 license basically allows a CPU manufacturer to do this:

http://download.intel.com/design/PentiumII/manuals/24319102.PDF

(warning, big download, this is the x86 instruction set as published by Intel)

Think about what the computer stores in memory in machine code:

0000100h (location) 10 FF FF (data)

Just illustrative, the opcode 10 might mean "Load the register A with the value... FF FF" (made up example).

Well, without the x86 license, you couldnt use the "10" to mean "load the register A with the value..."

Can you imagine that? Every CPU would use its own instruction code and require a complete recompile. Software would NOT be compatible between CPUs. eek

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
Too bad such things as "proprietary standards" do exist. And that makes no sense, imo.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
How I understand it.

that's right.

but, that's not to say that AMD could come out of the woodworks and develop an instruction set that is compatible with x64 (meaning also compatible with x86) that would be more flexible, perform better, and be more efficient as well. Technically, other companies have done similar before - like 3DFX with their Glide API, extremelly fast and 100% compatible with OpenGL.

AMD designed the x64 extension, and they had a big hand in getting processors to execute x86 faster as well. For all we know, AMD might be up to something like this right now, they've been moving into quite a few key markets since the beginning of the year. If they could develop something new that was compatible, it could push for a change in "industry standard" and the x86/64 license agreement with Intel would be worthless.

Sure, Intel might be using this whol mess to levarge the anti-trust suits, but it won't stop the investigations that are being spearheaded by independent 3rd parties and government organizations - if anything, getting AMD to drop their suits would just soften the blow.

Swansen

How long does this F*$&% patent last? I thought you could only get protection for 15 - 20 years... and the first x86 came out in 1978. WTF? Its seriously time for uncle sam to step in and open up the market.

I was under the same impression. However, i think it also depends on the patent in question, but i think 30 years is a LONG time for a patent to be upheld. :wtf: