• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card with 124dB SNR Now Official

npp

The method ASUS uses to sell PCI-E sound cards is simple. PCI-E is there for compatibility (with modern motherboards) or simply a USP, but it offers zero advantage over PCI. The AV100/AV200 aren't PCI-E chipsets. They require a bus-translation logic to exist between them and the PCI-E interface. While the translation logic chip (ASUS uses the ones made by PLX) relays signal from PCI-E to PCI (and vice-versa) seamlessly, it doesn't relay power. The power it gets from the PCI-E slot, it uses it up for its own functioning. The AV100/200, and the rest of the sound card are left to the power from auxiliary inputs such as a Molex or Floppy power connector. You'd notice the Xonar D2 to require aux power, being PCI-E, while its PCI twin the Xonar D1 doesn't. Neither feature headphone amps.

It's very nice to see that there are still some people around who are using their brains instead of letting themself being fooled by pure PR B*S*. The fact that you've got a PCI-E interface is exactly as useless as the 124dB specs of the DAC, and all the other stuff like "Nichicon “Fine Gold” Professional audio capacitors offering rich bass and crystal clear high frequencies". I don't see how any of these could have perceptible effect on audio quality (i.e., in a blind test).

Pushing noise floors so low is completely useless, you must sit in an anechoic chamber to make any sense of it... Or else the ambient noise around will simply drown anything far above the -124dB floor. I seriously doubt this card will offer any noticeable advantages over an unexpensive x-fi, for example... Unless you've got some very unsensitive headphones or simply want to blow your head off.

D

Deleted member 24505

It looks nice this card,i would'nt mind trying one.

I did have an x-fail extreme music,but i gave it to my mate after all the crap with it on vista.Now i am using my onboard sounds digital out to my sony av amp which sounds fine to me.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
It's very nice to see that there are still some people around who are using their brains instead of letting themself being fooled by pure PR B*S*. The fact that you've got a PCI-E interface is exactly as useless as the 124dB specs of the DAC, and all the other stuff like "Nichicon “Fine Gold” Professional audio capacitors offering rich bass and crystal clear high frequencies". I don't see how any of these could have perceptible effect on audio quality (i.e., in a blind test).

Pushing noise floors so low is completely useless, you must sit in an anechoic chamber to make any sense of it... Or else the ambient noise around will simply drown anything far above the -124dB floor. I seriously doubt this card will offer any noticeable advantages over an unexpensive x-fi, for example... Unless you've got some very unsensitive headphones or simply want to blow your head off.

you're extremelly right on this as well. There are a few of us here who'd understand this next point, but for everyone else - do you realize what kind of a upper-end speaker setup you'd need to be able to hear the difference in SNR audio qualiy between the Xonar D2 (118db SNR), and this card's 124db SNR?

As to the capacitors - well, they can have an effect on the warmth of the output quality. You'd really be surprised just how much of an influence these components have. It's more noticeable when going from cheap caps on a card, to better quality ones - e.g. removing the Jamicon caps on a X-Fi and replacing them with Elnas or BlackGates.

D

Deleted member 24505

Plus the fact that not that many people run seperate amps and descent speakers.As far as i'm concerned,most of the all in one 5.1 speakers you can buy are cack,bar maybe a few high end ones.The best way to get high quaity sound is a seperate av amp good speakers and good thick speaker wire.I'm using a sony av amp/mordaunt short ms 901signature speakers and QED special 25th anniversary silver speaker wire.I am only using my onboard sounds digital out to my amp and it sounds great.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
asus become do good sound card's , so can anyone tell me about how can i count ( how much speaker watt size can i put on sound card ) . i don't know maybe it is not clear way to explain what i need but id anyone understand just know me

Most of the high-end headphones need a amp to sound decent. It is not unheard of in any way (well, with headphone "enthusiasts" anyway). Headphone amps are pretty expensive too so this could be a real seller for some folks. It's certainly a unique feature AFAIK.

But yea these companies are really going at it hard with PR half-truths to try to differentiate their product. This card is all about what is almost certainly going to be placebo audio quality. It screams that magical pretentious audiophile quality that makes certain niches come alive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Hayder,you can put any wattage size speakers you like running from your sound card.I have 5x100 watt speakers running off mine with only a single coaxial digital cable going from my sound card to my amp.

Zyrocenus

I think you are talking about X-Fi Xtreme Audio.

Yes I was.....my bad....:twitch:

Actually, with my experience with PC audio, I've seen "delays" as in latencies to lower when the CPU is directly dealing with audio, and not a part intervention where stacks are moved back and forth for the several stages of audio processing the CPU and audio processor share. With a decent DAC, there's no degradation as a result of it. When the CPU is strong enough to spend time processing audio even when it's at 100% load, it's good enough to make sure those "hiss"/"pop" things don't take place.

There is no Xtreme Music PCI-X. Creative never made a PCI-X card. That's Xtreme Audio PCI-E, which failed due to a flawed driver model among several other things that are not what's normal for CPU-accelerated audio. Notice this doesn't happen with a Xonar D2/D1, or Claro Plus+. Don't confuse integrated audio with CPU-accelerated discrete audio. In discrete audio, the various tasks are assigned to different parts of the cards (such as a host, a DAC/ADC, OPAMP, etc), where as there's a lot of consolidation with those HDA / AC'97 chips on motherboards. They'll never even come close to what a Claro / X-Meridean can ever do.

+1 on the Xtreme Music. It wasnt even a TRUE XiFi that is the top reaosn why it PHAILED in my opinion. It was basically their lowest end "XiFi" -correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt the APU a tweaked Audigy?- on the "newest" interface sound card wise. If thats not "designed for disaster" I dunno what is. And yes, I know thatonboard cant hold a candle to virtually anything available on an expansion card. Yer preachin to the recently converted man :roll:

It looks nice this card,i would'nt mind trying one.

I did have an x-fail extreme music,but i gave it to my mate after all the crap with it on vista.Now i am using my onboard sounds digital out to my sony av amp which sounds fine to me.

U gave yer friend a PHAIL card as a present? isnt that kinda like giving them a virus? lol:twitch:

But yea these companies are really going at it hard with PR half-truths to try to differentiate their product. This card is all about what is almost certainly going to be placebo audio quality. It screams that magical pretentious audiophile quality that makes certain niches come alive.

+1 Amen to that.... The diff between this card and the Auzen Prelude are next to nill. This card touts 124 dB SNR the prelude has 123 dB. Neither of which would be dicernable even if you were in a sound room. This card seems designed to eek out the Prelude and nothing more. There is no problem with that as it is a HUGE diff between their last XONAR offering. All I'm sayin is that if you already own a Prelude this isnt REALLY an upgrade. If on the other hand yer comin from somethin a year or 2 old or onboard, fasten yer seatbelt.

Zyro

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
+1 on the Xtreme Music. It wasnt even a TRUE XiFi that is the top reaosn why it PHAILED in my opinion. It was basically their lowest end "XiFi" -correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt the APU a tweaked Audigy?- on the "newest" interface sound card wise. If thats not "designed for disaster" I dunno what is. And yes, I know thatonboard cant hold a candle to virtually anything available on an expansion card. Yer preachin to the recently converted man :roll:
Zyro

Well, it's very much true the Xtreme Audio was just a re-hashed Audigy 2 SE, which was itself a re-has of the Live! 24-bit card . . . and depending on specific components, we can trace this back even further . . .

Although the Xtreme Audio wasn't truly deserving of the X-Fi branding, as it didn't really support any of the marketed features of the true cards (no APU, no hardware acceleration, lack of EAX 5.0 support, no "game" mode, etc), it still is a typical, Creative "budget" card. TBH, the Xtreme Gamer is much better, and in most markets is only $20-$30 more.